Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's hard to generalize. I'd rather live in my state, than in Sweden. But I'd rather live in Sweden than anywhere in the dirty south. So wasn't exactly sure how to answer. In my state I can get beer, wine and liquor in every grocery store, and get weed legally from my corner pot shop, so I'm all set. Couldn't do that in Sweden or the dirty south.
    Seattle's a good place, even with the homeless problem. It's a fair bit like Vancouver, so I feel at home there. If I had to live in the USA and could choose where, my only two choices would be Seattle and NYC.
    Only 2 choices in the entire USA? Seems weird. I guess it’s probably you just don’t know enough.

If I had to move to Canada, I don’t know enough to know where to move and where not  to. 

I would think that Toronto and Vancouver would top my list. The east coast area would intrigue me. Montreal area would be pretty low on the list as well as remote areas.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's hard to generalize. I'd rather live in my state, than in Sweden. But I'd rather live in Sweden than anywhere in the dirty south. So wasn't exactly sure how to answer. In my state I can get beer, wine and liquor in every grocery store, and get weed legally from my corner pot shop, so I'm all set. Couldn't do that in Sweden or the dirty south.
    Seattle's a good place, even with the homeless problem. It's a fair bit like Vancouver, so I feel at home there. If I had to live in the USA and could choose where, my only two choices would be Seattle and NYC.
    Only 2 choices in the entire USA? Seems weird. I guess it’s probably you just don’t know enough.

If I had to move to Canada, I don’t know enough to know where to move and where not  to. 

I would think that Toronto and Vancouver would top my list. The east coast area would intrigue me. Montreal area would be pretty low on the list as well as remote areas.
    I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.  I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly...Seattle was somewhat that way last time I visited.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.
    Agreed, I can’t stand cities.  My perfect spot is Montana, Colorado or Vermont.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    U.S.A.
    I'd live in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, cost of living aside.  I don't know if I'd do NY.  Seattle, SF, San Diego,Chicago, Denver, DC, all definite yes's, with same caveat on cost of living.  Denver is great because you have everything but the ocean.  I'm a skier, so that appeals to me (same with Tahoe area).  
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    “Dirty south” over Sweden in my opinion.
    Is Texas considered the south?  I say no but I m interested to hear your take.  
    I think of Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Missouri,Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, northern FL when I think of the south. Not Texas for some reason. 
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.
    Agreed, I can’t stand cities.  My perfect spot is Montana, Colorado or Vermont.   
    I’m always up hiking or fishing in CO.  Love it, but it has gotten a lot busier over the years too.  Never been to Montana or Vermont, but they seem like nice places to reside.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    U.S.A.
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    I think of Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Missouri,Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, northern FL when I think of the south. Not Texas for some reason. 
    Agreed. Texas is south west to me along with New Mexico and Arizona. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    Agreed. Texas is south west to me along with New Mexico and Arizona. 
    Yes, Southwest, not sure why I said Midwest, ha. Even have an airline named for it :)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.  I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly...Seattle was somewhat that way last time I visited.
    I'm definitely a city mouse. I want to be directly in or within a max half hour train ride of the city. I need that easy access to what cities offer (mainly for the music venues and dining options, and just for the energy/vibe of a big city). NYC isn't dirty IMO, for a city that size. It used to be apparently, but Ghouliani cleaned it up well, I'll give him that. I was impressed when I went there. A very beautiful city IMO. Now, of course their garbage pick up system is that all the garbage goes out onto the sidewalks throughout the day, and is picked up every night. This is because there is no other option. There are few back alleys in NYC, and most of them are fenced off (with barbed wire at the top of the fences) to prevent crime from happening in them, and to keep people from sleeping in them. So yeah, at least in warm weather, you can smell the garbage ... For me though, everything else that NYC offers easily offsets that minor (to me) issue. I do make a point of warning people who are going there and have never been though. I think seeing all that garbage out on the sidewalks can be a bit of shock if you weren't aware that is how it's done.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    I’m really not sure actually.  No one around here calls it that.  Midwest usually.  Funny, though, Texas is very much southern territory.
    I don't consider it "the South" personally. I think more Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc... The "Bible Belt" I guess. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I'm definitely a city mouse. NYC isn't dirty. It used to be apparently, but Ghouliani cleaned it up well, I'll give him that. I was impressed when I went there. A very beautiful city IMO. Now, of course their garbage pick up system is that all the garbage goes out onto the sidewalks throughout the day, and is picked up every night. This is because there is no other option. There are few back alleys in NYC, and most of them are fenced off (with barbed wire at the top of the fences) to prevent crime from happening in them, and to keep people from sleeping in them. So yeah, at least in warm weather, you can smell the garbage ... For me though, everything else that NYC offers easily offsets that minor (to me) issue. I do make a point of warning people who are going there and have never been though. I think seeing all that garbage out on the sidewalks can be a bit of shock if you weren't aware that is how it's done.
    I’d love to visit there sometime, but I’m definitely not a city mouse.  I wanted to be when I was younger, but the appeal is not there for me anymore.  I actually thought Chicago was a nice city when I visited and liked how most of their city operations were done underground.  Chicago was fun in the day and frightening at night...it was like all the crazy from the underground came out once the sun went down.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I'm definitely a city mouse. I want to be directly in or within a max half hour train ride of the city. I need that easy access to what cities offer (mainly for the music venues and dining options, and just for the energy/vibe of a big city). NYC isn't dirty IMO, for a city that size. It used to be apparently, but Ghouliani cleaned it up well, I'll give him that. I was impressed when I went there. A very beautiful city IMO. Now, of course their garbage pick up system is that all the garbage goes out onto the sidewalks throughout the day, and is picked up every night. This is because there is no other option. There are few back alleys in NYC, and most of them are fenced off (with barbed wire at the top of the fences) to prevent crime from happening in them, and to keep people from sleeping in them. So yeah, at least in warm weather, you can smell the garbage ... For me though, everything else that NYC offers easily offsets that minor (to me) issue. I do make a point of warning people who are going there and have never been though. I think seeing all that garbage out on the sidewalks can be a bit of shock if you weren't aware that is how it's done.
    Chicago has its flaws, no doubt, but it is a very clean city in comparison for the reasons you mention above. New York is a great city, but the trash in the streets is so unsanitary.
    U.S.A.
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    I’m really not sure actually.  No one around here calls it that.  Midwest usually.  Funny, though, Texas is very much southern territory.
    I don't consider it "the South" personally. I think more Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc... The "Bible Belt" I guess. 
    We prefer “Tornado Alley” lol
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I'd like to visit Sweden sometime.  As far as living, I wouldn't be able to handle limited sunlight in the winter months.
    Canada
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Chicago has its flaws, no doubt, but it is a very clean city in comparison for the reasons you mention above. New York is a great city, but the trash in the streets is so unsanitary.
    Yes, Chicago is a very clean city. I really like it. I think the public transit in Chicago is a bit lacking compared to NYC and even Vancouver. I found that the locations of the train stations weren't all that great, and the service could be better in general, for a city that size. But otherwise, very nice city. Obviously it has a pretty serious crime problem though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    I'm grateful.
    I work hard I play hard , play by the rules and I'm happy.
    I am free to succeed I am free to fail it is up to me.
    Happiness is a choice.
    You can choose to be happy and do the best you can with what you've got or you can choose misery. And if you're miserable you have the power to pick yourself up by your bootstraps and and fix it.
    I say this because some of the people who post here are obviously miserable and I actually feel verybad for them.  I wish it weren't so.
    I dedicate this song to those people who are just perpetually angry and unhappy.  
    Soulshine
    https://youtu.be/pDIQ7Otf1mw

Post edited by RYME on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    man, for all the whining that americans do about how they get shit on by the rest of the world, those same people sure like to shit on other countries. 
    Long time coming my friend. 
    that's the attitude of a child. 

the same could honestly be said about how everyone shits on america. we have been getting "america is the fucking BEST" rammed down our throats all our lives. some just like to point out facts. not just government-funded anecdotes to get you to join the fucking army and die for oil. oh, whoops, I mean FREEDOM. 
    Nah man this is all about 1 persons relentless posts in any thread.  You got this wrong.  I hate Sweden now.  Never thought about it before though. ;)
    if y'all hate this posts so much, ignore them. that's what I do when a number of people post. ignore and move on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    man, for all the whining that americans do about how they get shit on by the rest of the world, those same people sure like to shit on other countries. 

the same could honestly be said about how everyone shits on america. we have been getting "america is the fucking BEST" rammed down our throats all our lives. some just like to point out facts. not just government-funded anecdotes to get you to join the fucking army and die for oil. oh, whoops, I mean FREEDOM. 
    Nah man this is all about 1 persons relentless posts in any thread.  You got this wrong.  I hate Sweden now.  Never thought about it before though. ;)
    if y'all hate this posts so much, ignore them. that's what I do when a number of people post. ignore and move on. 
    With all due respect, we got plenty of oil.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I believe in karma my friend and sometimes it really does bite you in the ass.    
    But yeah I posted some data, I'm not posting propaganda posters (although I do some great lessons on WW1 and WW2 propaganda).  

karma is supposedly something that happens without human intervention. you don't get to choose when karma happens. 

to be clear, i wasn't commenting on the data you posted. I'm obviously fine with that. My point was that most people in america really have no idea why they think america is superior than all other countries other than being told that their entire lives. Because, other than military might, there is nothing really superior about america at all when compared to any other 1st world country. it lags behind many other countries in many, what many of us would consider, pretty significant factors. 

the attitude that america is the best is really no different than taking your hat off when you enter someone's house.
    "it's rude". "why is it rude?. "it just fucking is, so take it off". 
    "america is the best" "why is it the best?" "it's the fucking best, you don't think so/like it, leave!". 

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lucky number 13 for me! Sweden is ranked lower than the US at 14.  
    https://ceoworld.biz/2019/04/11/best-quality-of-life-2019/

So Sweden is the worst of the Scandinavian countries, doesn't sound that great of a country.  Sucks to suck.
    Canada all the way down to 18...wtf...I have a great quality of life.  It is all about perspective, I suppose if I was homeless, I'd have a different view...lol
    I think your lack of a craft beer industry brought it way down.   Who the hell could be happy drinking Molson and Labatt?
    Craft beer is massive on the West Coast, and I literally don't know anyone who has drank Molson or Labatt since they they were in college.
    But you guys have more than the West Coast.  Craft beer needs to be everywhere in order for you guys to move up in the ranking.  Don't be such an elitist Ms. West Coast.  ;)
    Craft beer is literally everywhere. it's not unique to the US or the west coast of canada. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I believe in karma my friend and sometimes it really does bite you in the ass.    
    But yeah I posted some data, I'm not posting propaganda posters (although I do some great lessons on WW1 and WW2 propaganda).  

karma is supposedly something that happens without human intervention. you don't get to choose when karma happens. 

to be clear, i wasn't commenting on the data you posted. I'm obviously fine with that. My point was that most people in america really have no idea why they think america is superior than all other countries other than being told that their entire lives. Because, other than military might, there is nothing really superior about america at all when compared to any other 1st world country. it lags behind many other countries in many, what many of us would consider, pretty significant factors. 

the attitude that america is the best is really no different than taking your hat off when you enter someone's house.
    "it's rude". "why is it rude?. "it just fucking is, so take it off". 
    "america is the best" "why is it the best?" "it's the fucking best, you don't think so/like it, leave!". 

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!
    I don't think this is an America thing.  It seems that in the voting, the vast majority voted for their home country.  I think we can safely say the Swede loves Sweden, the Canadians love Canada, and the Americans love America.  

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So Sweden is the worst of the Scandinavian countries, doesn't sound that great of a country.  Sucks to suck.
    Canada all the way down to 18...wtf...I have a great quality of life.  It is all about perspective, I suppose if I was homeless, I'd have a different view...lol
    I think your lack of a craft beer industry brought it way down.   Who the hell could be happy drinking Molson and Labatt?
    Craft beer is massive on the West Coast, and I literally don't know anyone who has drank Molson or Labatt since they they were in college.
    But you guys have more than the West Coast.  Craft beer needs to be everywhere in order for you guys to move up in the ranking.  Don't be such an elitist Ms. West Coast.  ;)
    Craft beer is literally everywhere. it's not unique to the US or the west coast of canada. 
    Yup. It’s everywhere.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,831
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    5. The government of Sweden controls your access to alcohol.
    In the decade after the second world war, Sweden was really struggling with the problem of alcoholism. After trying several other methods of cracking down on this issue, the government decided on a policy that they called Systembolaget in 1955. This structure is the government-controlled alcohol store, and it is the only place you can purchase products that contain more than 3.5% alcohol.

Is this true?  If so - reason enough to not vote for Sweden!
    This is true. It blew my alcoholic mind
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited July 2019
    I've  been lucky to have been to a lot of countries. Mainly watching  this band.
    Everyone knows home.  So would choose  home.  Or  i guess you would leave  and make home elsewhere.  
    My take is. I know this thread  is a pop  at another board member and i dislike that.But  i like a lot of europe . I haven't  been to canada out of the  choices but the others 2 yes. Scandinavia in general is very patriotic from my experience  esspecially  norway. I wouldn't  like usa to live from my few visits also patriotic too much and not so open from what i found.Canada appeals for vast amounts  of space  to explore  alone not over populated.
    Sweden is a bit stiff for me. Im a rebel.
    So i chose nowhere on earth. 
    But i have always  thought im like a dutch/Australian. The dutch and Australians  will get me. 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited July 2019
    Canada

PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I've been around. I just prefer to be by the ocean, and I like moderate climates, and simply feel a real personal connection to Seattle and NYC in particular. Since the US in general doesn't appeal to me for the reasons I already gave, only two cities that suit my particular needs are making the cut, and even then, that's if I'm forced to live in the USA. Like I said, despite many appealing things, I'd choose every other first world nation over the USA until it pulls itself together, the politics get back to some measure of sanity, the abortion debate is settled in favour of women's rights, religion stops being so influential, the gun culture fucks off, and the racism problems ease up. Sure some of the other first world nations have some of these issues too, but none of them have ALL of those issues, and none have that gun culture at all.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It it’s the best in the US right now. Though as I said the Czech Republic is impressive as well.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Craft beer is a big fashion here too. Not my thing  but its huge
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I've been around. I just prefer to be by the ocean, and I like moderate climates, and simply feel a real personal connection to Seattle and NYC in particular. Since the US in general doesn't appeal to me for the reasons I already gave, only two cities that suit my particular needs are making the cut, and even then, that's if I'm forced to live in the USA. Like I said, despite many appealing things, I'd choose every other first world nation over the USA until it pulls itself together, the politics get back to some measure of sanity, the abortion debate is settled in favour of women's rights, religion stops being so influential, the gun culture fucks off, and the racism problems ease up. Sure some of the other first world nations have some of these issues too, but none of them have ALL of those issues, and none have that gun culture at all.
    I must agree with your reasons
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

It's a funny poll in a way, because there's a big difference between choosing to leave a country, and choosing to live in a country.  PJ wouldn't live in the US for those reasons, which is perfectly understandable.  But for those that live here, our inclination isn't to leave because of it, it's to change it.  By contrast, I would not choose to move to England today, frankly because of the political and economic uncertainty there.  However, if I was born and raised in England, it would not be sufficient reason for me to leave the country.  
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

It's a funny poll in a way, because there's a big difference between choosing to leave a country, and choosing to live in a country.  PJ wouldn't live in the US for those reasons, which is perfectly understandable.  But for those that live here, our inclination isn't to leave because of it, it's to change it.  By contrast, I would not choose to move to England today, frankly because of the political and economic uncertainty there.  However, if I was born and raised in England, it would not be sufficient reason for me to leave the country.  
    If it were possible for me i think right now i would leave. But where to? Because all countries  are fucked in some way. 
     We all think its not bad where we are because  its our normal
     Safe in a way. 
    There is no perfect  country. England will be just fine. Economy  wise. Thats not even a thought for me. We have NHS which saves lives and atm is saving  mine. 
    But  given a free ticket out to try another place. I would take it. Ive always thought im not a typical english person.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This discussion has been closed.