Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    https://ceoworld.biz/2019/04/11/best-quality-of-life-2019/

Denmark has been named the world’s best country to live in, according to the statistical analysis (2019 ) by the CEOWORLD magazine, with Switzerland Finland, Australia, and Austria rounding off the top five. The ranking looks at 70 countries around the world. As for European countries, they occupy 8 of the top 10 spots in this year’s ranking.

Egypt, ranked last, while Iran, Kazakhstan, and Vietnam were also rated near the bottom. Despite still featuring at the bottom of the quality of the living list, the Philippines and Vietnam have witnessed significant improvements related to both safety and health services.

In its Quality of Life Rankings For 2019, CEOWORLD magazine analyzed more than 70 countries to determine which ones are the absolute best to live in for both business and life.

The magazine has also compiled a ranking based on personal safety, which named Qatar as the safest country to live in, followed by Japan, the United Arab Emirates, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. According to the personal safety ranking, South Africa ranked bottom in 70th place, and Brazil scored second lowest in 69th place.

Quality of Life Rankings for 2019, evaluated 70 countries and surveyed more than 120,000 people from four regions (the Americas, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East and Africa); places were graded on eight attributes. Countries are ranked based on a number of factors, including house price to income ratio (lower is better), purchasing power index (higher is better), traffic commute time index (lower is better), pollution index (lower is better), climate index (higher is better), personal safety index (higher is better), Health Care Services index (higher is better), and cost of living index (lower is better).

Quality 

of Life

13United States179.23.58122.0332.8733.9577.5152.8769.4169.91
    14Sweden178.6710.26111.3830.2918.0174.9250.6570.9571.55

Look at the rest of the article for descriptions of each column but the US does beat Sweden in Quailty of Life: 179.2 to 178.67.   And even with all our crazy guns here we have a better "Personal Safety" number than Sweden.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:

Denmark has been named the world’s best country to live in, according to the statistical analysis (2019 ) by the CEOWORLD magazine, with Switzerland Finland, Australia, and Austria rounding off the top five. The ranking looks at 70 countries around the world. As for European countries, they occupy 8 of the top 10 spots in this year’s ranking.

Egypt, ranked last, while Iran, Kazakhstan, and Vietnam were also rated near the bottom. Despite still featuring at the bottom of the quality of the living list, the Philippines and Vietnam have witnessed significant improvements related to both safety and health services.

In its Quality of Life Rankings For 2019, CEOWORLD magazine analyzed more than 70 countries to determine which ones are the absolute best to live in for both business and life.

The magazine has also compiled a ranking based on personal safety, which named Qatar as the safest country to live in, followed by Japan, the United Arab Emirates, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. According to the personal safety ranking, South Africa ranked bottom in 70th place, and Brazil scored second lowest in 69th place.

Quality of Life Rankings for 2019, evaluated 70 countries and surveyed more than 120,000 people from four regions (the Americas, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East and Africa); places were graded on eight attributes. Countries are ranked based on a number of factors, including house price to income ratio (lower is better), purchasing power index (higher is better), traffic commute time index (lower is better), pollution index (lower is better), climate index (higher is better), personal safety index (higher is better), Health Care Services index (higher is better), and cost of living index (lower is better).

Quality 

of Life

Look at the rest of the article for descriptions of each column but the US does beat Sweden in Quailty of Life: 179.2 to 178.67.   And even with all our crazy guns here we have a better "Personal Safety" number than Sweden.
    Thanks. Will read after Parks and Rec.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:

Quality 

of Life

That's a show made by Americans about America. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    There’s plenty of data that contradicts that article posted by mcgruff. In fact, that’s the first study I’ve even seen that lists QOL higher in the US than Canada and most of the other Northern Europeans countries. US generally ranks in the 15-20th range.   I’ll post links when I’m not on my phone out on bike during my Saturday ride. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Quality 

of Life

I am eating onion rings too.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Quality 

of Life

God bless America!  Amiright??
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Quality 

of Life

Truthfully,  I'm watching the swedish chef on the Muppets while listening to Ace of Base.  So I guess we're even on cultural appropriation. 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    And by the way if I say that I love my country. USA!  it doesn't mean that I hate yours. My wife is from Lithuania. Corectly spelled and Pernounced (Lietuva)  It took a lot of effort but I now speak fluent Lietuvan,,,otherwise I could not communicate with her parents.
    (Lietuva makes the best beer on planet EARTH in my opinion called
    (Svyturys Ekstra) (made in Klaipeda LT)  Anyway, we have friends and family there, and we visit every two years.  We also have friends from there who live in Latvia Estonia Poland Holland, Russia  and the Ukraine.
    Our Ukrainian friends just moved to the US
    (based on my wife's suggestion to them to come here) and how she came here and has succeeded (my wife got herself a nursing license and now she's a nurse making good money $37/hr) a couple years ago and now they our Ukrainian friends live five miles from us and its wonderful.  They now love the USA 
    My wife has a friend from Russia her name is Tatiana, that we visit now and then, down in
    St Pete Beach Florida. 
    My wife came to the United States via the lottery system.  She went through all the legal steps and now she's a US citizen as of 16 years ago.
    And she didn't know how much she appreciated the United States until she went home the first time after living here sevaral years.  She moved here in 96.  She loves her home Lietuva but she says there's a huge difference between life in Lietuva and life in the USA.  And that she loves the United States, and she grew up under the Soviet umbrella which ended in 94.  I'm not going to get into it here but the stories she can tell about her upbringing and it's a horrific things that some of her relatives had to go through are are eye poping.  
    I don't know where I'm going with this, kind of rambling but maybe a few people here will understand what I'm trying to say.
    My wife bought my  kool-aid and I'm glad she did. =)

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Canada takes top spot in QOL ranking in this report. Funny who takes #2. 

https://www.vancourier.com/news/study-ranks-canada-1-in-the-world-for-quality-of-life-1.23609916
  • Options
    Going back a few years to 2016, this study has Canada at #3 and, ummmm sorry, Sweden at #6.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/07/these-countries-have-the-highest-quality-of-life
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    U.S.A.
    The fact that I picked USA has nothing against Sweden.  This is where I was raised.  I have been to other countries and I prefer to live here, warts and all.
    My grandparents came from Italy and Puerto Rico...the one that wasn't a fresh off the boat immigrant was only one generation older, from Ireland.
    Being from different places and taking advantage of what this country offered makes them (and me, by extension) a pretty sweet American success story.
    I am sure there are many places that might be better to live - but I live here.  Having a moron for a president and lots of morons who support him does not make this a bad place to live, to me.
    The moron crew intent on limiting the options for many Americans does concern me, but I would rather stay and try make it a better community where we live.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Happiest countries in the world, according to the UN. Happiness has got to be linked with QOL. Canada in the top ten...

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/non-economic-data/happiest-countries
  • Options
    The Economist has Canada outside of the top 10 (boo), but still above the US. 

https://worldinfigures.com/rankings/index/54
  • Options
    The Smithsonian seems to have developed a new ranking system that ranked Canada at 17 and the US at 32 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/theres-new-ranking-system-best-countries-to-live-in-norway-isnt-number-one-180970744/
  • Options
    I think perhaps the CEOWorld study focused a little too heavily on quality of life for CEOs.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    I think perhaps the CEOWorld study focused a little too heavily on quality of life for CEOs.
    No one really cares.  It was posted to make a point and to quiet some noise,  not to debate research methodology. 
  • Options
    Ha ha! 

You guys are too funny. 

“Look, the US is better than Sweden - the data proves it! Even posted twice, it was so exciting. 

(Other data provided that suggests this is not the case)

”Actually, no one really cares about data” 

Classic. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    Ha ha! 

You guys are too funny. 

“Look, the US is better than Sweden - the data proves it! Even posted twice, it was so exciting. 

Classic. 
    According to the data I posted that would be correct. 
    I hung out pool side (it was 89 degrees) today then had some wondeful
    pizza for dinner. Got in my suv and headed to the beach.  Picked up some ice cream for my son and headed home. Although it is expensive  I love where I live.    My quality of life is great. 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    Why is this about Sweden?
    The thread should be where are you from?
    Why do you like it or lump it?
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Ha ha! 

You guys are too funny. 

Classic. 
    The whole thread was a counter-troll by meltdown. 
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    RYME said:
    Why is this about Sweden?
    The thread should be where are you from?
    Why do you like it or lump it?
    Because every discussion turns into Sweden.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:

My quality of life is great. 

Fitting last sentence.

To illustrate its fittingness, some thought examples:

"I don't have HIV so the world do not need HIV medicine"

"I have no problem taking out vacation days at my job. So workers should not have any legal right to vacation"

"I am not a woman or a child. So no need for maternal leave" 

Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position.

In the context of the discussion of QoL, your individual privileged position adds nothing to the discussion. But you choosing to push the "me" does shine a bright ironic light on things.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    I do believe this is the "I hate Americans" thread Part Two, even though Meltdown didn't intend for it to be. 
  • Options
    Except for me and the other 3 outliers, we're pro extraterrestrial life 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Except for me and the other 3 outliers, we're pro extraterrestrial life 
    WIll you bring Rashida Jones* with you?

* Shes american mrussel
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:

Fitting last sentence.

"I have no problem taking out vacation days at my job. So workers should not have any legal right to vacation"

Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position.

In the context of the discussion of QoL, your individual privileged position adds nothing to the discussion. But it does shine a bright light on things.
    Remember the initial question: where would you want to live?   So it is a great last sentence. I love my life and I love where I live.  I am happily married, raising five amazing kids, have a great job and a beautiful house. I try to eat healthy and work out five days a week. Within an hours drive I can be at the beach, in the mountains, snowboard, surf, hike, fish, hunt, drink at award winning vineyards and breweries, and visit two major cities. Not sure where you got the rest of that from.  

Do you feel your quality of life is good?  
  • Options
    Shut 'er down now, Kat. :)
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    U.S.A.
    Shut 'er down now, Kat. :)
    Ahahaha  When I first started reading the forum in 2013, I was bewildered by the comment IBTL w/ the popcorn eating emoji. Haven’t seen it in a while- guessing this is the place for it be inserted.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    U.S.A.
    Ha ha! 

You guys are too funny. 

Classic. 
    You are funny. 1 person equals “you guys”. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:

Fitting last sentence.

In the context of the discussion of QoL, your individual privileged position adds nothing to the discussion. But you choosing to push the "me" does shine a bright ironic light on things.
    You are full of something but it ain’t empathy.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.