Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    U.S.A.
    I do believe this is the "I hate Americans" thread Part Two, even though Meltdown didn't intend for it to be. 
    Yup.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    U.S.A.
    Then Sweden should be focused on making Sweden great again.  Manufacture some hats that say MAKE SWEDEN GREAT AGAIN
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    RYME said:
    Then Sweden should be focused on making Sweden great again.  Manufacture some hats that say MAKE SWEDEN GREAT AGAIN
    Pickled herring for the masses!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Stupid thread but I can see the need for it after trying to wade through the other threads here this morning.

Some people need to grow thicker skin around here or start using the ignore feature.
    Why should one be obligated to ignore?  
    For thread integrity, and my sanity.
    Thank you. I keep mistakenly opening the Democratic candidate thread thinking I'm actually going to learn something about the candidates. After scrolling through a page of the Swedish wars, I went straight to the last page, only to see the discussion has turned the improved manufacturing of SUVs.

But I digress. I like living in the USA.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    Herring for the masses!
    Herring makes my eyes water just like chopped raw onions.
    Here's a song for y'all
    To tie this thread all togethe. It doesn't have to necessarily make sense.... such as a toon called WBPT
    https://youtu.be/NkfiOoQSRY0
    Enjoy, please do not slice it and dice it SC

• Options
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    Herring for the masses!
    Here's a song for y'all
    To tie this thread all togethe. It doesn't have to necessarily make sense.... such as a toon called WBPT

Herring makes my stomach erupt like Mount Vesuvius!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    U.S.A.
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    Herring for the masses!
    Here's a song for y'all

Herring makes my stomach erupt like Mount Vesuvius!
    Never tried herring, but you guys are definitely talking me into it, lol
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    My dad loved that stuff - on brown rye, with butter.  Same with sardines.  Nasty to me, but he asked me to at least try something before declaring it was nasty.

So I did try it and made my proclamation.  He was proud of me for making an informed decision ;)

That song up there is a good reminder that I need to get back to listening to The Highwaymen again.  "But I am still alive" - fuckin' A.

Great piece about how the song itself came to be.  This part made me smile:

"Eight years later, Glen played it for Johnny Cash. He was making a quartet album with Willie, Waylon and Kris Kristofferson. There were four verses to “The Highwayman.” Talk about predestination. I don’t know how they decided who would take which verse, but having Johnny last was like having God singing your song (laughs)."

• Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    My dad loved that stuff - on brown rye, with butter.  Same with sardines.  Nasty to me, but he asked me to at least try something before declaring it was nasty.

So I did try it and made my proclamation.  He was proud of me for making an informed decision ;)

That song up there is a good reminder that I need to get back to listening to The Highwaymen again.  "But I am still alive" - fuckin' A.

Great piece about how the song itself came to be.  This part made me smile:

"Eight years later, Glen played it for Johnny Cash. He was making a quartet album with Willie, Waylon and Kris Kristofferson. There were four verses to “The Highwayman.” Talk about predestination. I don’t know how they decided who would take which verse, but having Johnny last was like having God singing your song (laughs)."

So what's that herring dish that's in a white sauce called?  A long time ago I went to a buffet for dinner and I saw thing yummy looking stuff that I assumed was a marshmallow cream kind of dish, so I took a bunch of that.  That was the first thing I dug into, expecting something sweet and delicious.  And then-- WHAM!--  this overpowering salty fish flavor hits my palate and I nearly lost it all, right there!  :lol:

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    @brianlux
    🤣 Herring in cream sauce (sour cream). I grew up with it, my mom would serve it for the holidays (Jewish).

Post edited by Renfield on
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,334
    U.S.A.
    Seattle or Hawaii
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited July 2019
    Sweden
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux
    🤣 Herring in cream sauce (sour cream). I grew up with it, my mom would serve it for the holidays (Jewish).

Love it, so good!!! We put apples in it though 
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://ceoworld.biz/2019/04/11/best-quality-of-life-2019/

Denmark has been named the world’s best country to live in, according to the statistical analysis (2019 ) by the CEOWORLD magazine, with Switzerland Finland, Australia, and Austria rounding off the top five. The ranking looks at 70 countries around the world. As for European countries, they occupy 8 of the top 10 spots in this year’s ranking.

Egypt, ranked last, while Iran, Kazakhstan, and Vietnam were also rated near the bottom. Despite still featuring at the bottom of the quality of the living list, the Philippines and Vietnam have witnessed significant improvements related to both safety and health services.

In its Quality of Life Rankings For 2019, CEOWORLD magazine analyzed more than 70 countries to determine which ones are the absolute best to live in for both business and life.

The magazine has also compiled a ranking based on personal safety, which named Qatar as the safest country to live in, followed by Japan, the United Arab Emirates, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. According to the personal safety ranking, South Africa ranked bottom in 70th place, and Brazil scored second lowest in 69th place.

Quality of Life Rankings for 2019, evaluated 70 countries and surveyed more than 120,000 people from four regions (the Americas, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East and Africa); places were graded on eight attributes. Countries are ranked based on a number of factors, including house price to income ratio (lower is better), purchasing power index (higher is better), traffic commute time index (lower is better), pollution index (lower is better), climate index (higher is better), personal safety index (higher is better), Health Care Services index (higher is better), and cost of living index (lower is better).

Quality 

of Life

13United States179.23.58122.0332.8733.9577.5152.8769.4169.91
    14Sweden178.6710.26111.3830.2918.0174.9250.6570.9571.55

Look at the rest of the article for descriptions of each column but the US does beat Sweden in Quailty of Life: 179.2 to 178.67.   And even with all our crazy guns here we have a better "Personal Safety" number than Sweden.
    Thanks. Will read after Parks and Rec.
    https://youtu.be/tzEPKrHalaY
    Denmark is very interesting.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Jezuz…. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,836
    Ha ha! 

You guys are too funny. 

“Look, the US is better than Sweden - the data proves it! Even posted twice, it was so exciting. 

(Other data provided that suggests this is not the case)

”Actually, no one really cares about data” 

Classic. 
    You are funny. 1 person equals “you guys”. 

You're correct, mrussell shouldn't have been speaking for you all when he said that no one cares about data. Presumably some of you do.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,836
    mrussel1 said:
    Ha ha! 

You guys are too funny. 

“Look, the US is better than Sweden - the data proves it! Even posted twice, it was so exciting. 

(Other data provided that suggests this is not the case)

”Actually, no one really cares about data” 

Classic. 
    The whole thread was a counter-troll by meltdown. 

Absolutely! But still, the discussion goes as it does. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2019
    So 9% wants to live in Sweden !!! That’s not too bad :);)
    I would say that’s surprisingly good statistics!
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    I do believe this is the "I hate Americans" thread Part Two, even though Meltdown didn't intend for it to be. 
    You are correct, I never intended it to be a hate America thread...but if someone wants to hate on America in this thread...let them.  I certainly do not have a hatred of America...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

(And pass the marshmallows, please :lol: )

• Options
    U.S.A.
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

I'll bet most of you have never had Zepalini.
    Its awsome.  Very hardy but wounderful.   I certainly would never have the patience to make it myself.
    https://youtu.be/wrdQZGkgaws
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

Its awsome.  Very hardy but wounderful.   I certainly would never have the patience to make it myself.
    That looks delicious😋 I’m IN! for either a pork or a potato-cheese Zepalini
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    Renfield said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

I love how this thread has now  become the Food Network. :)
    It is delicious it's ground pork and ground beef in the center of a potato mash that they make into like a football (zepilini means blimp  in Lithuanian so it's like a potato blimp with the meat in the center and then they dribble bacon gravy on top of it with some sour cream. BAM!! lol...
    It's awesome.
    It is classic to Lithuania as the cheeseburger is to the U.S.
    But much harder to make than the cheeseburger.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    RYME said:
    Renfield said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

It is delicious it's ground pork and ground beef in the center of a potato mash that they make into like a football (zepilini means blimp  in Lithuanian so it's like a potato blimp with the meat in the center and then they dribble bacon gravy on top of it with some sour cream. BAM!! lol...
    It's awesome.
    Its always about food!
    Oh Great Chef Of The Future 👩‍🍳 I don’t cook so that’s out of the question of me attempting this dish.
    Bacon gravy- dear gawd, that must be fantastic!
    I looked up Lithuanian restaurants and what came up were Ukrainian or Polish restaurants that I have been to and they serve pierogis. I want the real deal. I’ll continue searching.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    RYME said:
    Renfield said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

It's awesome.
    My mom's side of the family is 100% Lithuanian and I have never had the privilege to try this dish.  I am going to have to do a little research and give it a go. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    RYME said:
    Renfield said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

It's awesome.
    My mom's side of the family is 100% Lithuanian and I have never had the privilege to try this dish.  I am going to have to do a little research and give it a go. 
    As in, you are going to prepare it from scratch??
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    RYME said:
    Renfield said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Renfield said:
    @brianlux

That it, JPP.  Enjoy!

It's awesome.
    Then your mom and her side will know what it is.  My wife's mom makes it for us when we visit LT. every 2 years.  And that's about as often as she makes it.  Every 2 years lol.because whatever they do to those potatos (run through a grinder, remove moisture, stuff the meat in the center of those things & then boil them in big pot. is a lengthy process.  Nothing easy about it it takes her all day pretty much.  
    Cold beet soup is another good one my wife makes once in a while.  Not nearly as hard to make.
    Check it out
    https://myfoododyssey.com/2013/09/21/lithuanian-saltibarsciai-cold-beet-soup-recipe/
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

• Options
    U.S.A.
    RYME said:
    Then your mom and her side will know what it is.  My wife's mom makes it for us when we visit LT. every 2 years.  And that's about as often as she makes it.  Every 2 years lol.because whatever they do to those potatos (run through a grinder, remove moisture, stuff the meat in the center of those things & then boil them in big pot. is a lengthy process.  Nothing easy about it it takes her all day pretty much.  
    Cold beet soup is another good one my wife makes once in a while.  Not nearly as hard to make.
    Check it out
    https://myfoododyssey.com/2013/09/21/lithuanian-saltibarsciai-cold-beet-soup-recipe/

Cold Borscht! I grew up around it, my mom and grandparents loved it. I always turned my nose up at it. This is what our version looked like.

• Options
    Renfield said:
    RYME said:
    Check it out

Cold Borscht! I grew up around it, my mom and grandparents loved it. I always turned my nose up at it. This is what our version looked like.

Ohhh yum!

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,112
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Renfield said:
    RYME said:
    Check it out

Borsjtj is the best soup ever. 

(warm though)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.