Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    RYME said:
    I'm grateful.
    I work hard I play hard , play by the rules and I'm happy.
    I am free to succeed I am free to fail it is up to me.
    Happiness is a choice.
    You can choose to be happy and do the best you can with what you've got or you can choose misery. And if you're miserable you have the power to pick yourself up by your bootstraps and and fix it.
    I say this because some of the people who post here are obviously miserable and I actually feel verybad for them.  I wish it weren't so.
    I dedicate this song to those people who are just perpetually angry and unhappy.  
    Soulshine
    https://youtu.be/pDIQ7Otf1mw

Now here's a post that I can get behind 100%. Thanks for the reminder to cheer up, RYME. I still am passionate about the challenges I perceive, but it's important to remember what we have and show gratitude for it. Allman Brothers always help, though I'm more of a Whipping Post kind of guy :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Canada
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
    I'm grateful.
    Happiness is a choice.
    You can choose to be happy and do the best you can with what you've got or you can choose misery. And if you're miserable you have the power to pick yourself up by your bootstraps and and fix it.
    I say this because some of the people who post here are obviously miserable and I actually feel verybad for them.  I wish it weren't so.
    I dedicate this song to those people who are just perpetually angry and unhappy.  
    Soulshine

Now here's a post that I can get behind 100%. Thanks for the reminder to cheer up, RYME. I still am passionate about the challenges I perceive, but it's important to remember what we have and show gratitude for it. Allman Brothers always help, though I'm more of a Whipping Post kind of guy :)
    FWIW, RYME has called me one of those miserable people before when we were having a disagreement, which I'm definitely not, so I don't think RYME is always a very good judge of that, lol. But in any case, I do agree that one must strive to be happy. Not everyone can be even then, due to circumstances beyond their control - not everyone is actually free to succeed in America or Canada or anywhere else. But for those who actually are, yeah, one can choose to appreciate what they have and make the most of it, or not. I've actually got a tattoo that includes the saying (not in English alphabet), which is the last sentence of Max Ehrmann's Desiderata: "Strive to be happy."
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

No shit, brother.  Really, no (more) shit.

I'm happy where I am, all things considered.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
    I'm grateful.
    Happiness is a choice.
    Soulshine

benjs said:
    RYME said:
    I'm grateful.
    Happiness is a choice.
    Soulshine

And Hallelujah benjis. =)   Maybe I should play the lottery this weekend.
    And I I have no idea when I told the pjsoul that he/she is miserable if I did I take it back but I have no clue.
    Trying to get a cheer up everybody here is like being tied to that Whipping Post.
    https://youtu.be/Wqg4taiLRRE
    Take it easy benjs

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    RYME said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
    I'm grateful.
    Happiness is a choice.
    Soulshine

benjs said:
    RYME said:
    I'm grateful.
    Happiness is a choice.
    Soulshine

And Hallelujah benjis. =)   Maybe I should play the lottery this weekend.
    And I I have no idea when I told the pjsoul that he/she is miserable if I did I take it back but I have no clue.
    Trying to get a cheer up everybody here is like being tied to that Whipping Post.
    https://youtu.be/Wqg4taiLRRE
    Take it easy benjs

Soulshine is better when sung by Warren Haynes.....
    No slag on the Allmans....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    Statesboro, Canada?  Statesboro, Sweden?  no.. oh yeah, Statesboro, GA! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPZxfS1jys

Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's hard to generalize. I'd rather live in my state, than in Sweden. But I'd rather live in Sweden than anywhere in the dirty south. So wasn't exactly sure how to answer. In my state I can get beer, wine and liquor in every grocery store, and get weed legally from my corner pot shop, so I'm all set. Couldn't do that in Sweden or the dirty south.
    Seattle's a good place, even with the homeless problem. It's a fair bit like Vancouver, so I feel at home there. If I had to live in the USA and could choose where, my only two choices would be Seattle and NYC.
    Only 2 choices in the entire USA? Seems weird. I guess it’s probably you just don’t know enough.

If I had to move to Canada, I don’t know enough to know where to move and where not  to. 

I would think that Toronto and Vancouver would top my list. The east coast area would intrigue me. Montreal area would be pretty low on the list as well as remote areas.
    I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.  I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly...Seattle was somewhat that way last time I visited.
    I'm definitely a city mouse. NYC isn't dirty. It used to be apparently, but Ghouliani cleaned it up well, I'll give him that. I was impressed when I went there. A very beautiful city IMO. Now, of course their garbage pick up system is that all the garbage goes out onto the sidewalks throughout the day, and is picked up every night. This is because there is no other option. There are few back alleys in NYC, and most of them are fenced off (with barbed wire at the top of the fences) to prevent crime from happening in them, and to keep people from sleeping in them. So yeah, at least in warm weather, you can smell the garbage ... For me though, everything else that NYC offers easily offsets that minor (to me) issue. I do make a point of warning people who are going there and have never been though. I think seeing all that garbage out on the sidewalks can be a bit of shock if you weren't aware that is how it's done.
    I’d love to visit there sometime, but I’m definitely not a city mouse.  I wanted to be when I was younger, but the appeal is not there for me anymore.  I actually thought Chicago was a nice city when I visited and liked how most of their city operations were done underground.  Chicago was fun in the day and frightening at night...it was like all the crazy from the underground came out once the sun went down.
    I laughed out loud reading “I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly”  NYC has a lot more to offer than dirt and smells.
    If you ever have an interest to visit a big city with an extensive list of cultural events, top museums, endless amounts of bars & restaurants, NYC is one of the world’s leading metropolises for art, fashion, food and theater, plus a whole lot more.
    Yes, there is a ton of garbage generated in NYC (about 12,000 tons a day). During the day, the Dept. of Sanitation picks all the trash up from NYC residents. At night, private waste removal services come for the trash generated by businesses. But don’t let that deter you, it’s a wonderful, exciting place to visit.
    Can you guess where I live?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    U.S.A.
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's hard to generalize. I'd rather live in my state, than in Sweden. But I'd rather live in Sweden than anywhere in the dirty south. So wasn't exactly sure how to answer. In my state I can get beer, wine and liquor in every grocery store, and get weed legally from my corner pot shop, so I'm all set. Couldn't do that in Sweden or the dirty south.
    Seattle's a good place, even with the homeless problem. It's a fair bit like Vancouver, so I feel at home there. If I had to live in the USA and could choose where, my only two choices would be Seattle and NYC.
    Only 2 choices in the entire USA? Seems weird. I guess it’s probably you just don’t know enough.

If I had to move to Canada, I don’t know enough to know where to move and where not  to. 

I would think that Toronto and Vancouver would top my list. The east coast area would intrigue me. Montreal area would be pretty low on the list as well as remote areas.
    I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.  I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly...Seattle was somewhat that way last time I visited.
    I'm definitely a city mouse. NYC isn't dirty. It used to be apparently, but Ghouliani cleaned it up well, I'll give him that. I was impressed when I went there. A very beautiful city IMO. Now, of course their garbage pick up system is that all the garbage goes out onto the sidewalks throughout the day, and is picked up every night. This is because there is no other option. There are few back alleys in NYC, and most of them are fenced off (with barbed wire at the top of the fences) to prevent crime from happening in them, and to keep people from sleeping in them. So yeah, at least in warm weather, you can smell the garbage ... For me though, everything else that NYC offers easily offsets that minor (to me) issue. I do make a point of warning people who are going there and have never been though. I think seeing all that garbage out on the sidewalks can be a bit of shock if you weren't aware that is how it's done.
    I’d love to visit there sometime, but I’m definitely not a city mouse.  I wanted to be when I was younger, but the appeal is not there for me anymore.  I actually thought Chicago was a nice city when I visited and liked how most of their city operations were done underground.  Chicago was fun in the day and frightening at night...it was like all the crazy from the underground came out once the sun went down.
    I laughed out loud reading “I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly”  NYC has a lot more to offer than dirt and smells.
    If you ever have an interest to visit a big city with an extensive list of cultural events, top museums, endless amounts of bars & restaurants, NYC is one of the world’s leading metropolises for art, fashion, food and theater, plus a whole lot more.
    Yes, there is a ton of garbage generated in NYC (about 12,000 tons a day). During the day, the Dept. of Sanitation picks all the trash up from NYC residents. At night, private waste removal services come for the trash generated by businesses. But don’t let that deter you, it’s a wonderful, exciting place to visit.
    Meatpacking district?  Red hook?  East 161 street?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Meatpacking district?  Red hook?  East 161 street?
    Chelsea.
    LOL! And no to E 161st Street. I’m an National Leaguer 
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    U.S.A.
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I’ll take a local’s word for it :). Definitely a place I want to visit some day for the cultural significance.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I’ll take a local’s word for it :). Definitely a place I want to visit some day for the cultural significance.
    And it would be my pleasure to show you around the big 🍎 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.

I guess I should have voted before I commented in this thread.

So USA it is, born & bred, but I’m scared shitless if Trumpolini wins again in 2020, I may need an exit plan. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I've been to NYC three time- 1965, 1975, and 1988- and was always impressed by the wide range of culture, the energy, the excitement.  It really does seem like the center of the known universe.  A part of me wishes I had the energy and youth to live there.  But as it is, at this stage in the game, a quite little place not too far from the seashore is more my speed.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

now you've gone and done it.

listening to the record on google music to start my night off down to cincy.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    brianlux said:
    Renfield said:

I've been to NYC three time- 1965, 1975, and 1988- and was always impressed by the wide range of culture, the energy, the excitement.  It really does seem like the center of the known universe.  A part of me wishes I had the energy and youth to live there.  But as it is, at this stage in the game, a quite little place not too far from the seashore is more my speed.  :smile:
    Nothing wrong with a quiet place near the seashore 🏝 Being near the water is wonderful.  I grew up on the beach in Miami Beach, great as a kid but not for me as an adult. 

How was your NYC visit in 1975? I think of the urban flight, recession, high crime, seediness and general disrepair the city was going through in the 70’s would have made it a frightening place to visit.
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:
    Renfield said:

Nothing wrong with a quiet place near the seashore 🏝 Being near the water is wonderful.  I grew up on the beach in Miami Beach, great as a kid but not for me as an adult. 

How was your NYC visit in 1975? I think of the urban flight, recession, high crime, seediness and general disrepair the city was going through in the 70’s would have made it a frightening place to visit.
    '75 was interesting.  My best friend back then and I were in our early 20's.  We were both fans of a 60's TV show called "Route 66" which was inspired by Kerouac's On the Road and was about these two guys who were on this on-going road trip broken up by staying places for a while to work and make some money and then hitting the road again.  We though, "Hey, that's cool!  Let's do THAT!"  We hitched my buddies little beater to the back of my Malibu and hit the road, taking turns driving.

Well, by the time we made it clear cross country we went to JFK thinking we could land jobs with one or other of the airlines.  Only problem is, we were darned near broke, really bleary from too much drinking and smoking along the way, and really, really road weary.  The few places we inquired at kind of looked at us like, "Ah, you want a job... yeah... right."  So then we decided to go into the city to see some sights but took a wrong turn and found ourselves in Harlem.  1975, two pretty much clueless white guys in my buddies beater (we had left the Malibu at the airport for the day).  Ah, no, not a good idea.  We high tailed it out of there, drove around a bit more, were wowed by the excitement of the city, but also beginning to feel very defeated.   Between the two of us we had $40, which back then was enough money to get us back to California... just.  So we hitched up the beater and blitzed our way home and arrived with a bit of pocket change and a lot of fatigue.  If nothing else, it was a good lesson and one of those growing up kinds of experiences!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We used to spend summers in NY, mostly on Long Island and in Queens, but our visits to the city were the best, especially as a kid.  It was so exciting!  The people, music, THE PIZZA!!!, buying Italian ices, just the madness and color of it all.  From my eyes as a child, it was like a dream.  Magical.

Last time I was actually in the city was over 20 years ago, for my uncle's funeral who had just passed.  It was just before Christmas.  We walked down Fifth Avenue and were wowed by the splendor of the air and decorations, something we don't really get here in Los Angeles.  And it snowed lightly on us as we strolled.  It was third time I've ever been in falling snow and was absolutely beautiful all-around.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    What I LOVE about NYC is that all you have to do to have fun is step outside and walk around. The energy of the city and the people is palpable IMO, and everywhere you look something is happening, someone is doing something interesting, and if you feel like having a good conversation with someone or have a laugh or a weird moment, there is pretty much always an opportunity for that no matter where you happen to be. I can't imagine having a boring moment in that city.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    This feels like New York to me:

• Options
    U.S.A.
    brianlux said:
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:
    Renfield said:

'75 was interesting.  My best friend back then and I were in our early 20's.  We were both fans of a 60's TV show called "Route 66" which was inspired by Kerouac's On the Road and was about these two guys who were on this on-going road trip broken up by staying places for a while to work and make some money and then hitting the road again.  We though, "Hey, that's cool!  Let's do THAT!"  We hitched my buddies little beater to the back of my Malibu and hit the road, taking turns driving.

Well, by the time we made it clear cross country we went to JFK thinking we could land jobs with one or other of the airlines.  Only problem is, we were darned near broke, really bleary from too much drinking and smoking along the way, and really, really road weary.  The few places we inquired at kind of looked at us like, "Ah, you want a job... yeah... right."  So then we decided to go into the city to see some sights but took a wrong turn and found ourselves in Harlem.  1975, two pretty much clueless white guys in my buddies beater (we had left the Malibu at the airport for the day).  Ah, no, not a good idea.  We high tailed it out of there, drove around a bit more, were wowed by the excitement of the city, but also beginning to feel very defeated.   Between the two of us we had $40, which back then was enough money to get us back to California... just.  So we hitched up the beater and blitzed our way home and arrived with a bit of pocket change and a lot of fatigue.  If nothing else, it was a good lesson and one of those growing up kinds of experiences!
    Yikes!! Quite a different Jack from your original intent...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gOWKbPDRdKw
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    What I LOVE about NYC is that all you have to do to have fun is step outside and walk around. The energy of the city and the people is palpable IMO, and everywhere you look something is happening, someone is doing something interesting, and if you feel like having a good conversation with someone or have a laugh or a weird moment, there is pretty much always an opportunity for that no matter where you happen to be. I can't imagine having a boring moment in that city.
    Agreed, the energy of the city is amazing.  It truly feels like the center of the universe when you're there, with every manner of people and language all within site.  It can be overwhelming.  A few years ago, I took my kids for a NE vacation, with NYC, Boston and Martha's Vineyard being the destinations.  I think NYC was sensory overload, especially Chinatown.  They actually liked Boston (and the North End) the best though.  While much smaller, Boston is a great city in the summer too.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    JPPJ84 said:
    I‘m starting to think I missed the point of this thread, if it ever truly had one... wtf are you people on about?!
    It’s an American thing to always claim superiority over everyone else , I’ve lived here since 1971 this country has been great to my family but for my retirement I’m headed back to Chile 🇨🇱 ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    I’ve been to some awesome countries but I've also seen what this place can offer if you work hard.   I certainly was born into zero privilege and possess no privilege.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    drank and drugged my way to homelessness almost 14 yrs ago now. 13 yrs later I went from 8.50 an hour at my first job in sobriety to now likely grossing 95k this year. AND in an industry I have always wanted to be in but couldnt cuz of the drinky drink.... will close out the year with 1 million miles driven professionally, all states from Minnesota south to eastern  Texas and all points east with the exception of Florida. Freight sucks in Florida.

I was fortunate to have been born where I was..... not sure that kind of turn around is probable many other places......
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    U.S.A.
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

listening to the record on google music to start my night off down to cincy.....
    Fillmore East is an all time great concert.  Greg's vocals were so soulful and Duane just jams so effortlessly.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Fillmore East is an all time great concert.  Greg's vocals were so soulful and Duane just jams so effortlessly.  
    play music blows though. it puts every title in shuffle. cant find the setting to correct it. found it on Amazon music though.

that specific iteration has  a 4 show run in it.  each night whipping post got longer hell most songs did......... final night has an intro by Bill Graham saying the night before they went on at like 3 or 330 and left at 7.....

new early live coming out soon. Fillmore West I believe.....

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,938
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mickeyrat said:
    drank and drugged my way to homelessness almost 14 yrs ago now. 13 yrs later I went from 8.50 an hour at my first job in sobriety to now likely grossing 95k this year. AND in an industry I have always wanted to be in but couldnt cuz of the drinky drink.... will close out the year with 1 million miles driven professionally, all states from Minnesota south to eastern  Texas and all points east with the exception of Florida. Freight sucks in Florida.

I was fortunate to have been born where I was..... not sure that kind of turn around is probable many other places......
    I get this is the big koolaiddrinking pitch about the US. But why wouldn't it be?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    I‘m starting to think I missed the point of this thread, if it ever truly had one... wtf are you people on about?!
    It’s an American thing to always claim superiority over everyone else , I’ve lived here since 1971 this country has been great to my family but for my retirement I’m headed back to Chile 🇨🇱 ..
    Henry Rollins talks about really liking Santiago, Chile and discovering some cool bands from there like La Hell Gang and Föllakzoid.

• Options
    U.S.A.
    mickeyrat said:

I get this is the big koolaiddrinking pitch about the US. But why wouldn't it be?

Or you could go with "hey Mickey, congratulations on turning your life around and the years of sobriety.  Glad you're here, we all know that isn't easy".  

Your message was cool too though.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

interesting, its written to be open that I may be wrong. Acknowledges other places may have a similar track available(not having researched ,I wouldnt know. going off my experience) and isnt absolute in any of its sentiment. but somehow its seen as koolaid drinking. 

Your obessive hatred of this country is quite evident. Let it go. And put your energy into getting laid. Seriously. Relieve some tension.

This discussion has been closed.