Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So in Sweden its ok to hold someone in solitary for 2 weeks for defending yourself? Sounds terrific. There has to be more with this situation. There has to be some more motivation than just because he was accused of assault. Especially since you cannot even locates the supposed “victim”. 
    I feel like your are building one heck of a narrative from not really knowing much about the situation (Which we all have a lack of knowledge about).

He is - on probably grounds (the highest level of suspicion before you are charge) suspected of assault - ofc he can be hold in pre-trial detention if there is a reason for it and he reaches the threshold for it. And three levels of courts in Sweden seem to find it is. 

And regarding courts and all - everyone here should chill out. The nordic countries - we got this:

But obviously things could go faster and whatever. But I guess it being vaccination times maybe slows things down a bit. Or there is more to investigate in this matter than we or fakenews-TMZ know.
    I"m confused.  Earlier you said there is no wild west, rich guy bail system.  Then you go on to say that he's being held because he's a flight risk. So is there a bail/bond system or not?  
    I wrote this in a post responding to you yesterday:

We don't have a monetary bail system. How many countries even do have that wild-wild-west favor the rich system? And how would that have mattered here - where it was determined there was a risk of fleeing? 

In Sweden, pre-trial detention is ordered for suspects of offences carrying prison terms of over a year, as long as there is risk of flight, impeding investigation (for instance by destroying evidence) or continuing criminal activity. The detention is reviewed by a court every fortnight; a new remand hearing is required if no legal action has taken place within 14 days.

And there are three levels of suspicion, and it can go from stronger or weaker depending on the investigation. I would think - with there being video here that this person was on the highest level.
    So let's say you, a Swede, were arrested in Stockholm during a bar fight.  Would you expect to be bailed, or stay for two weeks in prison?  And if bailed, would that be on your own recognizance or what would secure the bail if not money?
    It is just considered a 2 week paid vacation in Sweden.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,800
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So in Sweden its ok to hold someone in solitary for 2 weeks for defending yourself? Sounds terrific. There has to be more with this situation. There has to be some more motivation than just because he was accused of assault. Especially since you cannot even locates the supposed “victim”. 
    I feel like your are building one heck of a narrative from not really knowing much about the situation (Which we all have a lack of knowledge about).

He is - on probably grounds (the highest level of suspicion before you are charge) suspected of assault - ofc he can be hold in pre-trial detention if there is a reason for it and he reaches the threshold for it. And three levels of courts in Sweden seem to find it is. 

And regarding courts and all - everyone here should chill out. The nordic countries - we got this:

But obviously things could go faster and whatever. But I guess it being vaccination times maybe slows things down a bit. Or there is more to investigate in this matter than we or fakenews-TMZ know.
    I"m confused.  Earlier you said there is no wild west, rich guy bail system.  Then you go on to say that he's being held because he's a flight risk. So is there a bail/bond system or not?  

We don't have a monetary bail system. How many countries even do have that wild-wild-west favor the rich system? And how would that have mattered here - where it was determined there was a risk of fleeing? 

In Sweden, pre-trial detention is ordered for suspects of offences carrying prison terms of over a year, as long as there is risk of flight, impeding investigation (for instance by destroying evidence) or continuing criminal activity. The detention is reviewed by a court every fortnight; a new remand hearing is required if no legal action has taken place within 14 days.

And there are three levels of suspicion, and it can go from stronger or weaker depending on the investigation. I would think - with there being video here that this person was on the highest level.
    So let's say you, a Swede, were arrested in Stockholm during a bar fight.  Would you expect to be bailed, or stay for two weeks in prison?  And if bailed, would that be on your own recognizance or what would secure the bail if not money?
    It is just considered a 2 week paid vacation in Sweden.
    Mmmm...I like that joke.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,745
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Is this true?

Sweden has been dogged by its reputation for racism against Black people as well as other ethnic minorities in the country. The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination released a report last year expressing concern for the rising levels of anti-Black racism in the Nordic country. That included “racist hate speech against Afro-Swedes, Jews, Muslims and Roma.” A subsequent report months later cited how rampant the use of the “n-word” in the country was.
    I have read some things about how Swedes blame immigrants for a huge rise in crime, and that there is a pretty serious anti-immigrant (especially anti-brown) sentiment there. It seems that if the crime increase really is thanks to immigrants as some Swedish studies have claimed, Swedes much prefer to go anti-(brown)-immigrant about it rather than trying to confront and fix the issues that possibly cause this to be the case. That said, I don't think there is a massive hate crime issue that results from this.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,464
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I live in Sweden, and all my friends and all connections I have are here - so I would guess I would be let go if they do not see that I could impede the investigation or continue criminal activity. And that I come in and answer their questions and whatever they might need for their investigation.

I'm not really sure what "bail" means now... but if I would flee, impede the investigation or continue criminal activity I would be taken in and put into pre-trial custody and also charged for impeding the investigation, fleeing or continuing criminal activity I'm guessing...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I live in Sweden, and all my friends and all connections I have are here - so I would guess I would be let go if they do not see that I could impede the investigation or continue criminal activity. And that I come in and answer their questions and whatever they might need for their investigation.

I'm not really sure what "bail" means now... but if I would flee, impede the investigation or continue criminal activity I would be taken in and put into pre-trial custody and also charged for impeding the investigation, fleeing or continuing criminal activity I'm guessing...
    So justice isn't blind, the way you're treated is about your friends and connections.  Hmm.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,454
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Oh my gosh. Sweden is so corrupt. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Is this true?

Sweden has been dogged by its reputation for racism against Black people as well as other ethnic minorities in the country. The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination released a report last year expressing concern for the rising levels of anti-Black racism in the Nordic country. That included “racist hate speech against Afro-Swedes, Jews, Muslims and Roma.” A subsequent report months later cited how rampant the use of the “n-word” in the country was.
    You are using "report" and then "news report" as "report" in a way that makes the N-word incidents at that pharmacy sound like it was coming from a UN report. What is the reason for doing that?

Yes. Racism exists in Sweden. Yes old people (as would be the main problem at a pharmacy I'm guessing) are more xenophobic than the younger generation. Not that you care perhaps, but should also be said that we do not have the same history with the "n-word" and treatment of black people as you folks (they were non-existent here). We even have had pastries called "n-word kisses (now "mint kisses")" and "n-word balls (now "chocolate balls")". Pippi Longstockings father lives on the other side of the world and is "King of the n-word".

So for old people over here the word is not forbidden like Voldemort. We can say the n-word when discussing it on television for example. And we can write it out in text when discussing it which I would get banned for if doing here. Not waving away the xenophobia that is obviously existing here. Just some context. 17% votes for "The Swedish Party" for example. Its not Trumps 50% but it is 17% too many.

Interesting though that the US do not even care about many of these UN treaties at all. You can't be reported as having problems when you don't agree to be reported:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    cincybearcat said:
     for defending yourself? Sounds terrific. 

The victim is said to have been cut with something according to Nöjesbladet's sources -  a broken bottle.

- He has wound injuries and has had to be sewn, he went ambulance after the incident to hospital,

How often do you defend yourself with a broken bottle?
    If someone attacks you, whenever you have a bottle to break.  Instigation matters...most places.  

So you are ok with how this is all going down?  
    I don't know enough about this specific case. So I don't know what you want me to be okey with or not?

But if you are an expert on law and have sources within the prosecution office - then please put fourth some information to shine more light on this investigation and all the players.

All I have to go on is that Leif GW Persson thinks it's a weird decision that he was taken into custody, and he usually knows what he's talking about.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

So justice isn't blind, the way you're treated is about your friends and connections.  Hmm.  
    Your skewing things now for whatever BS reason. Just stop it.

I live in Sweden - my life is here and I don't have any connection to any other country, I have nowhere to flee or any reason to flee in relations to the crime - so I would be put on the street. Because my flight risk would be considered low.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    They could have asked the rapper to stay in Sweden until the investigation is complete...just have him turn over his passport.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    Now we know why Assange does not want to return.../s
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    They could have asked the rapper to stay in Sweden until the investigation is complete...just have him turn over his passport.
    This is a good question. Wonder why that is not seen as an option.

Will ask the question to people who knows more about these things.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    U.S.A.
    Is this true?

You are using "report" and then "news report" as "report" in a way that makes the N-word incidents at that pharmacy sound like it was coming from a UN report. What is the reason for doing that?

Yes. Racism exists in Sweden. Yes old people (as would be the main problem at a pharmacy I'm guessing) are more xenophobic than the younger generation. Not that you care perhaps, but should also be said that we do not have the same history with the "n-word" and treatment of black people as you folks (they were non-existent here). We even have had pastries called "n-word kisses (now "mint kisses")" and "n-word balls (now "chocolate balls")". Pippi Longstockings father lives on the other side of the world and is "King of the n-word".

So for old people over here the word is not forbidden like Voldemort. We can say the n-word when discussing it on television for example. And we can write it out in text when discussing it which I would get banned for if doing here. Not waving away the xenophobia that is obviously existing here. Just some context. 17% votes for "The Swedish Party" for example. Its not Trumps 50% but it is 17% too many.

Interesting though that the US do not even care about many of these UN treaties at all. You can't be reported as having problems when you don't agree to be reported:

I copied and pasted from the article. Chillax 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I live in Sweden - my life is here and I don't have any connection to any other country, I have nowhere to flee or any reason to flee in relations to the crime - so I would be put on the street. Because my flight risk would be considered low.
    Yeah, it's almost like I'm taking the worst possible interpretation and declaring it factual.  
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, it's almost like I'm taking the worst possible interpretation and declaring it factual.  
    Woah, I've never seen anyone do that here before.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,026
    U.S.A.
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Woah, I've never seen anyone do that here before.
    Yeah that is definitely a first.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Canada

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada

Now Kim Kardashian and Kanye West have taken a stand in the case by appealing to President Donald Trump to get ASAP Rocky released from the Swedish detention center, TMZ reports. TMZ also states that staff are on their way to Sweden - and according to Congressman Adriano Espaillat, Deputy Foreign Minister Carl Risch is on his way to Sweden.

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.

Will Sweden stand up to Trump before US politicians dare to?
  • Options
    U.S.A.

Now Kim Kardashian and Kanye West have taken a stand in the case by appealing to President Donald Trump to get ASAP Rocky released from the Swedish detention center, TMZ reports. TMZ also states that staff are on their way to Sweden - and according to Congressman Adriano Espaillat, Deputy Foreign Minister Carl Risch is on his way to Sweden.

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.
    TMZ is fake news.  Stop spreading! 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.
    TMZ actually is not fake news at all. They're as good as any legit major news source when it comes to checking their sources, etc. It is extremely rare for them to get something wrong, and when they do, they always retract/correct. The only difference is that they deal with celebrity news and inject humour into it.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.
    TMZ actually is not fake news at all. They're as good as any legit major news source when it comes to checking their sources, etc. It is extremely rare for them to get something wrong, and when they do, they always retract/correct. The only difference is that they deal with celebrity news and inject humour into it.
    He is being sarcastic. I called them fake news earlier for them reporting on things ASAP Rocky later said he had not said, and his then-laywer said was wrong.

Like only being fed an apple and having to drink "dirty water".
  • Options
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.
    He is being sarcastic. I called them fake news earlier for them reporting on things ASAP Rocky later said he had not said, and his then-laywer said was wrong.

I see.... I would actually LOVE for this constant sarcasm to stop. It's making the board far less enjoyable.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.

I see.... I would actually LOVE for this constant sarcasm to stop. It's making the board far less enjoyable.
    Well I can never promise that I won't be sarcastic, it's too fundamental.  But I and other were making a point today.  I hope it's understood.  
  • Options
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.

IT: Chapter 2 trailer released. So head over to the horror thread! :)
  • Options
    Canada
    So tomorrow ASAP could be released, or charged.
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.

Well I can never promise that I won't be sarcastic, it's too fundamental.  But I and other were making a point today.  I hope it's understood.  
    I'm not saying never of course. It's just this constant tiff going on - so tedious. You and the other have been making the same point for weeks. I think everyone got it.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

HAHA. LETS GO! WW3.

I'm not saying never of course. It's just this constant tiff going on - so tedious. You and the other have been making the same point for weeks. I think everyone got it.
    You were never the audience.  Let's get a good debate policy going.  I'll about it.  Seems like tiffs are the only thing to which people react.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Haha. Listened to a swedish lawyer blasting that Morning Joe-woman Mikas brother  who was an ambassador in Sweden for being stupid enough to think he could make our king or government intervene in our judicial system. Haha. 

"...it points to an unusually bad ability of judgment"
  • Options
    Canada
    So tomorrow ASAP could be released, or charged.
    I also read that they could detain him longer without charges?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Haha. Listened to a swedish lawyer blasting that Morning Joe-woman Mikas brother  who was an ambassador in Sweden for being stupid enough to think he could make our king or government intervene in our judicial system. Haha. 

"...it points to an unusually bad ability of judgment"
    So you don't like foreigners telling you how to run your country.  We have so much in common.  
This discussion has been closed.