Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,468
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Where does it say he has not had privileged conversations with a lawyer?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LMFAO.  The US justice system is a complete joke.  Honestly, how can any American be proud of that system?  Michigan had locked up the FBI's youngest informant ever, White Boy Rick, he was sentenced 30 years for a non-violent drug offence (he was a juvenile when the crime was committed).  Why did he get 30 years...because he was too good as an informant and was bringing down some high profile Detroit elite's and gangs.  And there are more of these stories in the US prison system.

Absolutely. 

In the absence of any non-biased information, I'm going to go with what is generally known about the justice systems of the two countries and assume that this guy is being held in better condition in Sweden than if he had been incarcerated in the US for the same offence. 
    If in the US, he'd have been released within a few hours unless he had a previous contempt charge (failure to appear), so I'm pretty sure ASAP's conditions would be better in the US, at home. 
    Is this why you have people like that Epstein guy and Manafort being able to bride witnesses and such?
    Yes, because you're innocent until proven guilty, you can prepare for your trial out of jail.  If you choose to commit another crime, that's on you.  You don't have to defend an arcane system of locking people up for 2 weeks over such a small offense.  
    Small offense? 

He is suspected of " grave assault". He would not be sitting in custody if not the jail time for the crime would be 1 year or more. 

His suspicion level is 3 out of 4 (På sannolika skäl misstänkt = "on probable grounds))

On probable grounds. The suspicion is justified by an objective assessment. It requires something that further binds the person to the crime, such as a witness or technical evidence. Example: A witness has seen that a person has picked up the wallet.

Are you choosing to jump in and be obtuse by choice just to not forfeit your "bald eagles and freedom"?

So you believe it was a small offense (even though the jail time could be 1 year). 
    You believe he would only be served one (1) apple in prison.
    You believe he was served dirty water?

Funny shit.

I'm choosing to believe in the system of English common law that has been the pinnacle of first world justice in Canada, the US, UK, etc. since the Magna Carta.  I won't defend the execution of the law for every state, jurisdiction, etc., but it seems barbaric to keep someone in jail, without access to privileged attorney conversation, for two weeks.  Outrageous.  
    I don't think this is the first or the last time you will jump into a discussion just to find something to shit on Sweden for - without having taking note of what the story is. 

But he has had the rights to privileged attorney conversation. A swedish custody isn't Gauantamony Bay - that is an american invention. 

And if you would have read what I have posted in this thread instead of looking past everything in a search to gotcha me. You would have 1) known that he has had that right and 2) known that he isn't not suspected of a "small offense" 

So let us conclude:

Rule of Law - Sweden beats the US
    Human rights - Sweden beats the US

But I guess you won't take in that because of:

I like how everything is a contest for you.  According to reports, he has not been allowed privileged conversations with his attorney or the consulate.  The difference is you are defending this system.  I won't defend the permanent detention of combatants in Gitmo.  
    exactly. at no point in my initial post did i try to compare US to Sweden. I just asked if this is truly a fair system.  If being held for two weeks during an investigation is the norm i find that harsh and unfair.  
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    U.S.A.
    John Ehmann, Rocky’s manager, wrote on Instagram. “On the day of his arrest, I spoke with the U.S. Embassy Consult who informed me that his request to visit Rocky was rejected by police, which violates article 36 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, to which Sweden is a signatory. Since then, he has been allowed to visit with a U.S. Embassy Consult and attorney, but only in the presence of Swedish officials. It is troubling and worrisome that the laws are not being applied equally.”

It's from the original RS article posted. 

• Options
    Canada
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LMFAO.  The US justice system is a complete joke.  Honestly, how can any American be proud of that system?  Michigan had locked up the FBI's youngest informant ever, White Boy Rick, he was sentenced 30 years for a non-violent drug offence (he was a juvenile when the crime was committed).  Why did he get 30 years...because he was too good as an informant and was bringing down some high profile Detroit elite's and gangs.  And there are more of these stories in the US prison system.

Absolutely. 

In the absence of any non-biased information, I'm going to go with what is generally known about the justice systems of the two countries and assume that this guy is being held in better condition in Sweden than if he had been incarcerated in the US for the same offence. 
    If in the US, he'd have been released within a few hours unless he had a previous contempt charge (failure to appear), so I'm pretty sure ASAP's conditions would be better in the US, at home. 
    Is this why you have people like that Epstein guy and Manafort being able to bride witnesses and such?
    Yes, because you're innocent until proven guilty, you can prepare for your trial out of jail.  If you choose to commit another crime, that's on you.  You don't have to defend an arcane system of locking people up for 2 weeks over such a small offense.  
    Small offense? 

He is suspected of " grave assault". He would not be sitting in custody if not the jail time for the crime would be 1 year or more. 

His suspicion level is 3 out of 4 (På sannolika skäl misstänkt = "on probable grounds))

On probable grounds. The suspicion is justified by an objective assessment. It requires something that further binds the person to the crime, such as a witness or technical evidence. Example: A witness has seen that a person has picked up the wallet.

Are you choosing to jump in and be obtuse by choice just to not forfeit your "bald eagles and freedom"?

So you believe it was a small offense (even though the jail time could be 1 year). 

Funny shit.

I'm choosing to believe in the system of English common law that has been the pinnacle of first world justice in Canada, the US, UK, etc. since the Magna Carta.  I won't defend the execution of the law for every state, jurisdiction, etc., but it seems barbaric to keep someone in jail, without access to privileged attorney conversation, for two weeks.  Outrageous.  
    I don't think this is the first or the last time you will jump into a discussion just to find something to shit on Sweden for - without having taking note of what the story is. 

But he has had the rights to privileged attorney conversation. A swedish custody isn't Gauantamony Bay - that is an american invention. 

And if you would have read what I have posted in this thread instead of looking past everything in a search to gotcha me. You would have 1) known that he has had that right and 2) known that he isn't not suspected of a "small offense" 

So let us conclude:

I like how everything is a contest for you.  According to reports, he has not been allowed privileged conversations with his attorney or the consulate.  The difference is you are defending this system.  I won't defend the permanent detention of combatants in Gitmo.  
    exactly. at no point in my initial post did i try to compare US to Sweden. I just asked if this is truly a fair system.  If being held for two weeks during an investigation is the norm i find that harsh and unfair.  
    Not the norm. Read up on why.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Absolutely. 

Small offense? 

Funny shit.

So let us conclude:

I saw the post about flight risk but under these circumstances really?  held for two weeks for a fight on the street...with video evidence?  you don't find that a bit much?  could it be because of his race?  me thinks that is a big possibility.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    John Ehmann, Rocky’s manager, wrote on Instagram. “On the day of his arrest, I spoke with the U.S. Embassy Consult who informed me that his request to visit Rocky was rejected by police, which violates article 36 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, to which Sweden is a signatory. Since then, he has been allowed to visit with a U.S. Embassy Consult and attorney, but only in the presence of Swedish officials. It is troubling and worrisome that the laws are not being applied equally.”

So, what was the reason it was rejected? You think swedish police would reject it "just because"?
    Where does it say that it is a violation to not leave him alone with the Embassy Consulate? That person is not his lawyer?
    Where does it say he has not had privileged conversations with a lawyer?  His lawyer is Henrik Olsson Lilja not someone from the Embassy. I think you are reading that dudes instagram post in the wrong way. But could be wrong.

And wait - funny things from the fake news haven of the USA:

ASAP Rocky through his lawyer:

"He has never talked to TMZ or any third party regarding the circumstances when he was arrested, ie when he was in the prison. He was then treated and is treated correctly."

"He was to receive a visit from American staff at an early stage when he was arrested but understood that staff from the embassy were not allowed to enter. At a later date, a few days later, however, he has been visited."

And:

TMZ's article also writes that the detention has violated the Vienna Convention, which gives foreign citizens the right to meet their consulate. However, it is nothing that lawyer Henrik Olsson Lilja agrees with.
    - He has no restrictions, he can meet who he wants, the problem is that it takes some time, he says.

• Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:

So, what was the reason it was rejected? You think swedish police would reject it "just because"?
    Where does it say that it is a violation to not leave him alone with the Embassy Consulate? That person is not his lawyer?
    Where does it say he has not had privileged conversations with a lawyer?  His lawyer is Henrik Olsson Lilja not someone from the Consult. I think you are reading that dudes instagram post in the wrong way.

And wait - funny things from the fake news haven of the USA:

ASAP Rocky through his lawyer:

"He has never talked to TMZ or any third party regarding the circumstances when he was arrested, ie when he was in the prison. He was then treated and is treated correctly."

"He was to receive a visit from American staff at an early stage when he was arrested but understood that staff from the embassy were not allowed to enter. At a later date, a few days later, however, he has been visited."
    And:

TMZ's article also writes that the detention has violated the Vienna Convention, which gives foreign citizens the right to meet their consulate. However, it is nothing that lawyer Henrik Olsson Lilja agrees with.

- He has no restrictions, he can meet who he wants, the problem is that it takes some time, he says.

"It takes some time"?  What does that mean?  You can hold someone for two weeks because you don't have time for the Swedish official to leave the room?  In the common law system, your attorney is who you say is your attorney. 

At the end of the day, I have no idea what the conditions are, neither do you.  It does appear he is in custody for a minor offense, and no opportunity for bail.  That's fucked up and third world.  

I have no idea what TMZ has to do with anything at all.  
  • Options
    Canada
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Absolutely. 

Small offense? 

Funny shit.

So let us conclude:

I saw the post about flight risk but under these circumstances really?  held for two weeks for a fight on the street...with video evidence?  you don't find that a bit much?  could it be because of his race?  me thinks that is a big possibility.
    Well that is the debate over here to - whether he reaches the level of flight risk. Criminologist professor Leif GW Persson does not think that there was sufficient reason. 

But the court bought the prosecutor's argument. And two higher courts that it was appealed to didn't object. 

The guy he was fighting with was from Afghanistan. So you are saying that if it is because of his race -- "brown man from middle east" trumps "black man from the US" in Sweden? 

I don't see how race would be a factor. I would imagine there was pressure to let him go - because if freed he has the right to get cash for the time he's been sitting there and he has lost millions on cancelling the tour.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Absolutely. 

Small offense? 

Funny shit.

So let us conclude:

Well that is the debate over here to - whether he reaches the level of flight risk. Criminologist professor Leif GW Persson does not think that there was sufficient reason. 

But the court bought the prosecutor's argument. And two higher courts that it was appealed to didn't object. 

The guy he was fighting with was from Afghanistan. So you are saying that if it is because of his race -- "brown man from middle east" trumps "black man from the US" in Sweden? 

I don't see how race would be a factor. I would imagine there was pressure to let him go - because if freed he has the right to get cash for the time he's been sitting there and he has lost millions on cancelling the tour.
    Was the Afghan arrested as well and is he in jail?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    U.S.A.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Absolutely. 

Small offense? 

Funny shit.

So let us conclude:

Wait - so forgetting about comparing to anywhere else - you are ok with this situation?

From what I’ve read this seems to be ridiculous. Who knows the motivation...cause he’s American? Cause he’s black? Cause he is a rapper? Who knows. But it seems really ridiculous.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Absolutely. 

Small offense? 

Funny shit.

So let us conclude:

Was the Afghan arrested as well and is he in jail?
    I'm not read up on this, but I saw something about them having problems locating him. But don't take my word for it.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Absolutely. 

Small offense? 

Funny shit.

So let us conclude:

Wait - so forgetting about comparing to anywhere else - you are ok with this situation?

From what I’ve read this seems to be ridiculous. Who knows the motivation...cause he’s American? Cause he’s black? Cause he is a rapper? Who knows. But it seems really ridiculous.

The simple motivation is - he is suspected of Assault at this time, a crime serious enough that they have the right to keep him in pre-trial detention if there is a flight risk. Which the court has agreed with the prosecutor about  is a risk.

You can sit and be a layman and argue over if you think he is a flight risk (I don't even know who this dude is), or whatever. But I don't see the problem with the swedish system. Regarding this.

And he is getting proper food and proper water. And can read a Scandinavian Noir novel if he wish.

Remember - Swedes pay 630 euros per day for our inmates. In the US (for example) prisons try to make a 630 euro profit on their inmates. Haha.
  • Options
    Canada
    TMZ: President Trump is very much aware of A$AP Rocky's legal sitch in Sweden -- and he's got his team working to get him freed

Haha.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    So then you are ok with this? You didn’t answer.

and you could help but still try and make a US dig. Nice. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Canada
    Will be fun to read the Förundersökningsprotokoll (googling:preliminary investigation protocol? ) if this reaches trial. 

Worth a trip up to Stockholm to attend the trial?
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    So in Sweden its ok to hold someone in solitary for 2 weeks for defending yourself? Sounds terrific. There has to be more with this situation. There has to be some more motivation than just because he was accused of assault. Especially since you cannot even locates the supposed “victim”. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,339
    interesting to see who voted what.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    So in Sweden its ok to hold someone in solitary for 2 weeks for defending yourself? Sounds terrific. There has to be more with this situation. There has to be some more motivation than just because he was accused of assault. Especially since you cannot even locates the supposed “victim”. 
    I feel like your are building one heck of a narrative from not really knowing much about the situation (Which we all have a lack of knowledge about).

He is - on probably grounds (the highest level of suspicion before you are charge) suspected of assault - ofc he can be hold in pre-trial detention if there is a reason for it and he reaches the threshold for it. And three levels of courts in Sweden seem to find it is. 

And regarding courts and all - everyone here should chill out. The nordic countries - we got this:

But obviously things could go faster and whatever. But I guess it being vaccination times maybe slows things down a bit. Or there is more to investigate in this matter than we or fakenews-TMZ know.
  • Options
    Canada
    Eric Trump just said on Fox News "America is doing so well. We're the best at absolutely everything we do"

Made me think of this thread. haha.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    #BoycottSweden
    Seriously, though, if we stopped trading with Sweden, they would pretty much go bankrupt.  Sweden’s economy depends on US trade...
    I would bet that the USA could sustain without Swedish trade, though.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    I feel like your are building one heck of a narrative from not really knowing much about the situation (Which we all have a lack of knowledge about).

He is - on probably grounds (the highest level of suspicion before you are charge) suspected of assault - ofc he can be hold in pre-trial detention if there is a reason for it and he reaches the threshold for it. And three levels of courts in Sweden seem to find it is. 

And regarding courts and all - everyone here should chill out. The nordic countries - we got this:

But obviously things could go faster and whatever. But I guess it being vaccination times maybe slows things down a bit. Or there is more to investigate in this matter than we or fakenews-TMZ know.
    I"m confused.  Earlier you said there is no wild west, rich guy bail system.  Then you go on to say that he's being held because he's a flight risk. So is there a bail/bond system or not?  
  • Options
    Canada
    cincybearcat said:
     for defending yourself? Sounds terrific. 

The victim is said to have been cut with something according to Nöjesbladet's sources -  a broken bottle.

- He has wound injuries and has had to be sewn, he went ambulance after the incident to hospital,

How often do you defend yourself with a broken bottle?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    I read that other rappers plan to boycott Sweden...hmmm.  Is that all it takes to get rap out of your country.  Just arrest a rapper on bogus charges.  I encourage Canada to follow suit.  By the way, Sc if you lock Drake up I will recommend you for the order of Canada.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    cincybearcat said:

The victim is said to have been cut with something according to Nöjesbladet's sources -  a broken bottle.

- He has wound injuries and has had to be sewn, he went ambulance after the incident to hospital,

What else is there to defend yourself with in Sweden?  Hand grenades?
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

I"m confused.  Earlier you said there is no wild west, rich guy bail system.  Then you go on to say that he's being held because he's a flight risk. So is there a bail/bond system or not?  
    I wrote this in a post responding to you yesterday:

We don't have a monetary bail system. How many countries even do have that wild-wild-west favor the rich system? And how would that have mattered here - where it was determined there was a risk of fleeing? 

In Sweden, pre-trial detention is ordered for suspects of offences carrying prison terms of over a year, as long as there is risk of flight, impeding investigation (for instance by destroying evidence) or continuing criminal activity. The detention is reviewed by a court every fortnight; a new remand hearing is required if no legal action has taken place within 14 days.

And there are three levels of suspicion, and it can go from stronger or weaker depending on the investigation. I would think - with there being video here that this person was on the highest level.
  • Options
    Canada
    PJPOWER said:
    cincybearcat said:

Ted Cruz boogers.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:

I wrote this in a post responding to you yesterday:

We don't have a monetary bail system. How many countries even do have that wild-wild-west favor the rich system? And how would that have mattered here - where it was determined there was a risk of fleeing? 

In Sweden, pre-trial detention is ordered for suspects of offences carrying prison terms of over a year, as long as there is risk of flight, impeding investigation (for instance by destroying evidence) or continuing criminal activity. The detention is reviewed by a court every fortnight; a new remand hearing is required if no legal action has taken place within 14 days.

And there are three levels of suspicion, and it can go from stronger or weaker depending on the investigation. I would think - with there being video here that this person was on the highest level.
    So let's say you, a Swede, were arrested in Stockholm during a bar fight.  Would you expect to be bailed, or stay for two weeks in prison?  And if bailed, would that be on your own recognizance or what would secure the bail if not money?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    cincybearcat said:

Ted Cruz boogers.
    We would be willing to export some if you are in need.

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    cincybearcat said:

If someone attacks you, whenever you have a bottle to break.  Instigation matters...most places.  

So you are ok with how this is all going down?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Is this true?

Sweden has been dogged by its reputation for racism against Black people as well as other ethnic minorities in the country. The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination released a report last year expressing concern for the rising levels of anti-Black racism in the Nordic country. That included “racist hate speech against Afro-Swedes, Jews, Muslims and Roma.” A subsequent report months later cited how rampant the use of the “n-word” in the country was.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.