Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    U.S.A.
    Seems like a pretty fucked up system that if after 2 weeks the cops cannot come to a conclusion so we will just keep him in detention for another week and hope something comes our way...that is an abuse of power...not surprised.
    When, as I believe you stated, his passport could be simply revoked.  Is A$AP going to hide in Sweden?  I don't think that's likely
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    Canada

Tougher question than 5 years ago.

Canada has the Hip, Rush, OLP, Matthew Good et al plus you dont have to worry about bankruptcy if you get sick. 

But now Rush and the Hip are retired so....tougher choice.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    Canada
    Seems like a pretty fucked up system that if after 2 weeks the cops cannot come to a conclusion so we will just keep him in detention for another week and hope something comes our way...that is an abuse of power...not surprised.
    I don't know how it works in Canada, but it's not the cops coming to conclusions. 

And the last part of your long sentence reeks of ignorance. I think you realise that is not how it works.

Do I need to point out again that on the rule of law index, the nordic countries got a pretty good hang of it all things considered. No need to worry about abuse of power etc. Move down a few spots on the list for that.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    U.S.A.
    I don't know how it works in Canada, but it's not the cops coming to conclusions. 

And the last part of your long sentence reeks of ignorance. I think you realise that is not how it works.

Do I need to point out again that on the rule of law index, the nordic countries got a pretty good hang of it all things considered. No need to worry about abuse of power etc. Move down a few spots on the list for that.

You keep listing a ranking ... which has nothing to do with this case. Be prepared to drop next year.

Honestly, I’m surprised that even you are ok with someone being kept in jail with no charges for this long. Especially since it’s not for murder.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Canada

You keep listing a ranking ... which has nothing to do with this case. Be prepared to drop next year.

Honestly, I’m surprised that even you are ok with someone being kept in jail with no charges for this long. Especially since it’s not for murder.
    Have I expressed my personal opinion on the matter?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada

In Canada, we do not hold people for 3 weeks without charges.  As I have stated, in Canada, I believe moist cops would not pursue this too hard...

But generally speaking, if arrested and under normal circumstances, you will see a judge within a day or 2 to ask for your release.  I belive that have 72 hours to charge a suspect or release.

But all I need to know about the law and if ever arrested is just lawyer up.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730

I believe moist cops would not pursue this too hard..

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    U.S.A.

In Canada, we do not hold people for 3 weeks without charges.  As I have stated, in Canada, I believe moist cops would not pursue this too hard...

But generally speaking, if arrested and under normal circumstances, you will see a judge within a day or 2 to ask for your release.  I belive that have 72 hours to charge a suspect or release.

You probably have magistrates on the weekend as well, for misdemeanors.  They don't want those people sitting in jail over the weekend when court is in session.  Fun fact - in old Veterans Stadium in Philly, they had a judge or a magistrate to process people during the football games so they didn't crowd the city jails.  
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.

I believe moist cops would not pursue this too hard..

Lol Perfect!!
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    When, as I believe you stated, his passport could be simply revoked.  Is A$AP going to hide in Sweden?  I don't think that's likely
    That would make sense...but I guess Sweden lacks common sense.  The dude was fighting...I've watched enough Swedes play hockey to know fist a cuffs is not their thing.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    yup pretty ridiculous in my opinion. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada

Again, it's not cops who pursue this too hard, or hard enough. It's not cops coming to a conclusion. They are not Judge Dredds here in Sweden.

And in Sweden, if a conclusion is made by a court that you are a suspect on level 2 and 3 (out of 3), the crime is severe enough and there is risk you might hinder the investigation, the risk of more crimes or the risk of fleeing you can be held in pre-trial custody. Like in many other countries.

It's not really the same as arrested. A cop in Sweden can only hold you "arrested" for a few hours. If suspected of a crime a prosecutor can decide to hold you for 3 days (72 hours). But then a prosecutor can go to a court to ask to held a suspect (if on level 2 or 3) for 2 weeks if the criterias are believed to be met about hindering the investigation etc.

So people do not go around paying off witnesses etc, like Epstein did so well in the US of A.

(I can't find correct terms in english for the different stages of being held, everything comes back as "arrested".)
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,993
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    Moist cops . In the  uk the  youth use the  word moist to describe someone who is weak or lame
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,993
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    Works well i think with cops
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

You probably have magistrates on the weekend as well, for misdemeanors.  They don't want those people sitting in jail over the weekend when court is in session.  Fun fact - in old Veterans Stadium in Philly, they had a judge or a magistrate to process people during the football games so they didn't crowd the city jails.  
    I only know 1 person ever arrested.  He was arrested in the middle of the night.  The police took him in without cuffs, told him what he was suspected of, he asked for a lawyer, they gave him a list of lawyers, he called the lawyer, the lawyer called a judge, the judge released him on ROR...the proper suspect was arrested a few days later...

Now since the police had the wrong person, should he have been kept indefinitely ... no, he was home, less than 4 hours after his arrest.

Formal charges never materialized.

No way do I want to live in a system that can just detain people without charges.  This is what I expect from Mexico.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

I only know 1 person ever arrested.  He was arrested in the middle of the night.  The police took him in without cuffs, told him what he was suspected of, he asked for a lawyer, they gave him a list of lawyers, he called the lawyer, the lawyer called a judge, the judge released him on ROR...the proper suspect was arrested a few days later...

Now since the police had the wrong person, should he have been kept indefinitely ... no, he was home, less than 4 hours after his arrest.

Formal charges never materialized.

No way do I want to live in a system that can just detain people without charges.  This is what I expect from Mexico.
    But what level of suspicion was he at?
    https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misstankegrad

What was the crime?

Was there risk of him fleeing, him messing with the investigation or him continuing with crime?
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree, but I have not an answer to why this was/is not a possibility. So I would wait with judgment until knowing the reasoning/having the information about it. 

Also, the US have a "utlämningstillstånd" with Sweden - whatever thats called in english - so back in the US they should have arrested him if he fled and put him on a flight to Sweden (if he were needed for the trial)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    Please there’s hundreds of children being held in cages at the border for months on end , I’m not talking adults just the kids what crimes have they’ve committed ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Canada
    Please there’s hundreds of children being held in cages at the border for months on end , I’m not talking adults just the kids what crimes have they’ve committed ?
    There is an entire immigration thread to discuss that.  To answer your question, they have not...they are victims of irresponsible parents and government.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    Protests in Puerto Rico
    https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/puerto-rico-protests-governor-text-messages-july-2019/

Governor of Peurto Rico sounds like a real winner...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    There is an entire immigration thread to discuss that.  To answer your question, they have not...they are victims of irresponsible parents and government.
    Really I must of missed that threat , people are being held just the same the lol people get killed here just for being black the US should not be holding its nose up to the world as a Becon of justice that’s all ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Canada
    ** LETS TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TALK OF SOME AMERICANS WHO HAVE BEEN ARRESTED IN SWEDEN **

1968: JIMI HENDRIX found in a trashed hotelroom in a pool of his own blood.

2006: AXL ROSE - biting a bouncer at hip Swedish nightclub

2007: BILL MURRAY decides to drive a golf cart drunk in the centre of Stockholm

2007: SNOOP DOG drug crime

2018: G-EAZY Assaulting people

2019: ASAP Rocky - Assaulting people

• Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree, but I have not an answer to why this was/is not a possibility. So I would wait with judgment until knowing the reasoning/having the information about it. 

Also, the US have a "utlämningstillstånd" with Sweden - whatever thats called in english - so back in the US they should have arrested him if he fled and put him on a flight to Sweden (if he were needed for the trial)
    Probably an extradition agreement.  
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    ** LETS TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TALK OF SOME AMERICANS WHO HAVE BEEN ARRESTED IN SWEDEN **

1968: JIMI HENDRIX found in a trashed hotelroom in a pool of his own blood.

2006: AXL ROSE - biting a bouncer at hip Swedish nightclub

2007: BILL MURRAY decides to drive a golf cart drunk in the centre of Stockholm

2007: SNOOP DOG drug crime

2018: G-EAZY Assaulting people

2019: ASAP Rocky - Assaulting people

Looks like you should ban American musicians.  
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Really I must of missed that threat , people are being held just the same the lol people get killed here just for being black the US should not be holding its nose up to the world as a Becon of justice that’s all ..
    Jose - there's a big difference between what is acceptable vs. unacceptable.  I think that's the point that's being made.  According to SC, this is appropriate under Swedish law.  Some of us think that's outrageous.  What you're pointing to are people that are doing things outside what is acceptable under the law.  
  • Options
    Canada
    You do know that they can self deport?  It is better to self deport than to be deported.  If you keep coming even though you know the conditions that you will face when caught, well that's on the parents...ignorance of the law is no excuse.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Snoop Dogg: I was racially profiled by Swedish police
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/27/snoop-dogg-i-was-racially-profiled-by-swedish-police

But it was clearly a case of celebrity profiling,” he told Billboard. “The Swedish police are losing the ridiculous battle called the War on Drugs as much in Sweden as anywhere else at the moment, and they have clearly now gone into desperate hypergear by chasing celebrities over drug use to grab media headlines, and thereby hoping to retake the initiative in this prestigious generational battle.”

The cops in Sweden must be geniuses to uncover that Snoop might be in possession of Cannabis.  They must have put their best detective on that case.  Surprise another country wasted resources on the war on drugs...
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Snoop Dogg: I was racially profiled by Swedish police
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/27/snoop-dogg-i-was-racially-profiled-by-swedish-police

The cops in Sweden must be geniuses to uncover that Snoop might be in possession of Cannabis.  They must have put their best detective on that case.
    Your silly "can't trust the system!" ignorance again. 

he was stopped in a vehicle control and came off as high.

But I bet you believe ASAP was served only an apple in Sweden too. Because someone in his camp said so.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    Jose - there's a big difference between what is acceptable vs. unacceptable.  I think that's the point that's being made.  According to SC, this is appropriate under Swedish law.  Some of us think that's outrageous.  What you're pointing to are people that are doing things outside what is acceptable under the law.  
    So why should you be taken into custody when charged? You have not been proven guilty yet?

Innocent until proven guilty?

SOVIET UNION 1950!

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    So why should you be taken into custody when charged? You have not been proven guilty yet?

Innocent until proven guilty?

SOVIET UNION 1950!

It's called probable cause, again a tenant of common law.  Then a magistrate or judge sets bail or bond, something within state guidelines typically.  
This discussion has been closed.