Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    brianlux said:
    I was talking to a young couple I know who are living in Sweden while finishing up with schooling (advanced degrees).  They were home in the states for a visit and were describing life in Sweden.  As they went along in their descriptions I kept thinking, "Uh huh... OK... cool... very cool... sweet!..."

...and then they got to the part where they were talking about the food over there.  No way, thank you very much!
    What is wrong with their food??
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    Sweden
    brianlux said:
    I was talking to a young couple I know who are living in Sweden while finishing up with schooling (advanced degrees).  They were home in the states for a visit and were describing life in Sweden.  As they went along in their descriptions I kept thinking, "Uh huh... OK... cool... very cool... sweet!..."

...and then they got to the part where they were talking about the food over there.  No way, thank you very much!
    Too healthy maybe? :wink:
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,344
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    It is very pickled and fishy to some
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,843
    U.S.A.
    I've lived in both Europe and the United States. Europe on the whole definitely has a better paid vacation scheme.
    Having said that, Americans seem to have a harder work ethic. I think it's ingrained into us from a young age. (Probably 2nd in the world to the Japanese) Whether this is a good thing or not is debatable. When we look at the overall quality of life, I find it unacceptable to only have two weeks off a year. It's certainly a reason for the low passport holder rates among Americans. If you only have two weeks, broken up a week at a time, it is a major deterrent to travel outside of your country when you're losing two of the seven days to travel time.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,832

Percentage of Americans who say they are dissatisfied with “the way things are going in the United States” : 63

Rank of Americans among nationalities most likely to say their country is the 
    best in the world : 1

https://harpers.org/archive/2019/08/harpers-index-august-2019/

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    Sweden

Percentage of Americans who say they are dissatisfied with “the way things are going in the United States” : 63

Rank of Americans among nationalities most likely to say their country is the 
    best in the world : 1

https://harpers.org/archive/2019/08/harpers-index-august-2019/

Nice name! One of my favorite boots... wish I could have been there!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,850
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    brianlux said:

Limited selection, high cost.  I'm not sure if that means it's because they don't import a lot of stuff which is not a bad thing.  It's better to eat what grows locally in terms of using fewer resources/ energy.  I'd rather have more fresh produce myself.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Canada
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Limited selection, high cost.  I'm not sure if that means it's because they don't import a lot of stuff which is not a bad thing.  It's better to eat what grows locally in terms of using fewer resources/ energy.  I'd rather have more fresh produce myself.
    That makes sense.  Yes, I like fresh as well...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,326
    Canada
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

What city do they live in? Are we talking supermarket-wise or restaurant-wise?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    brianlux said:

the food over there.  No way, thank you very much! 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,746
    U.S.A.
    You're welcome for Heinz.  
  • Options
    Canada
    Heinz sucks big time...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    U.S.A.
    There are 30+ ketchup choices at my grocery store. Even Heinz has a natural/organic option without all of the shit in it. And a salt free version, and a honey instead of sugar version, etc... So that meme is a little wonky. If people are still buying the sugary version, it is because they want to. We have plenty of options here.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Heinz sucks big time...
    What?  Do you use Hunt's?
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    Heinz sucks big time...
    I do not consume ketchup...but if I were it would be French's.  French's mustard is the best.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    When it comes to food products I stick to Canadian as much as possible, and absolutely will not buy food products from China, India or Brazil and another 3rd world country with no standards...by the way FUCK CHINA
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    Heinz sucks big time...
    I do not consume ketchup...but if I were it would be French's.  French's mustard is the best.  
    Yellow mustard sucks.  Now I have my sister mail me Bertman's classic Cleveland Stadium Mustard a few times a year, but I think I'm an outlier there.  Heinz is the best ketchup.  I think I can safely speak for the world and say everyone thinks this but you.  I have a special gift that way.  One other person I know of shares a similar gift of infallible knowledge.  You might know him.  
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Heinz sucks big time...
    Yellow mustard sucks.  Now I have my sister mail me Bertman's classic Cleveland Stadium Mustard a few times a year, but I think I'm an outlier there.  Heinz is the best ketchup.  I think I can safely speak for the world and say everyone thinks this but you.  I have a special gift that way.  One other person I know of shares a similar gift of infallible knowledge.  You might know him.  

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    When it comes to food products I stick to Canadian as much as possible, and absolutely will not buy food products from China, India or Brazil and another 3rd world country with no standards...by the way FUCK CHINA
    3rd world country with no standards?

Don't by american (or canadian) then.

"Protecting animals used in farming"
    USA: grade D
    Sweden: grade A
    Canda: grade D

Overall rating for animal rights
    USA: D
    Sweden: B
    Canada: D

https://api.worldanimalprotection.org/compare
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,843
    U.S.A.
    If we're veering into food, the US wins this one hands down.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,719
    Canada
    eddiec said:
    If we're veering into food, the US wins this one hands down.

What do you mean? Why? Just because of the insane number of products? Or do you think American cuisine is the best in the world?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    U.S.A.

Nothing to do with food quality, which is what I'm certain Meltdown was referring to. 
  • Options
    Canada
    jeffbr said:

Nothing to do with food quality, which is what I'm certain Meltdown was referring to. 
    Oh please... nice try
  • Options
    Canada
    jeffbr said:
    There are 30+ ketchup choices at my grocery store. Even Heinz has a natural/organic option without all of the shit in it. And a salt free version, and a honey instead of sugar version, etc... So that meme is a little wonky. If people are still buying the sugary version, it is because they want to. We have plenty of options here.
    So, that picture still says something. Even if you can pick whatever. We also have different versions, including completely sugar free options. Doesn't take away from the point of the picture - you little corn syrup loving rascals leading the obesity league. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

Heinz is the best ketchup. 
    I agree. But I rather have the one without corn syrup and shit in it. 

But nowadays I barely eat ketchup, and if I do I have the one (sadly not Heinz) without any sugar or sweetener added whatsoever in my refrigerator. It tastes great too, more tomato:y - and without any sugar or other shit.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    jeffbr said:
    So, that picture still says something. Even if you can pick whatever. We also have different versions, including completely sugar free options. Doesn't take away from the point of the picture - you little corn syrup loving rascals leading the obesity league. 
    Yes, that picture says that they took an exceptionally limited view of the food options we have in this country and used their biased editorial opinion to select one of hundreds of options to use in a meme to produce some sort of emotion or reaction, whether that be acceptance and bias confirmation from you, or an argument from me. So job well done on the meme, which provides no useful information. 
  • Options
    Canada
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:
    Yes, that picture says that they took an exceptionally limited view of the food options we have in this country and used their biased editorial opinion to select one of hundreds of options to use in a meme to produce some sort of emotion or reaction, whether that be acceptance and bias confirmation from you, or an argument from me. So job well done on the meme, which provides no useful information. 
    It is still the same product offered from two different countries, and shows a huge difference. Obviously it says something. Whatever other options you do have. Like every country has options. 

Obesity league extraordinaire. 
  • Options
    Canada
    jeffbr said:

Exactly...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    jeffbr said:

Exactly...
    Okey, if you do not care about how your farm animals are treated... then by all means. Don't count it. 

"I rather eat things grown organically and from canada, but I don't care how the animals are treated that I eat" <-- is that the case?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Heinz sucks big time...
    Not true.  My sister also uses French's as well.  So there is at least 2 of us...

You 2 will soon be concert buddies...lol...with the special gift you have.
    Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.