Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    How girls feel when I try to get to know them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkUmmnAyy8
    Are you trying to get to know them with a light sabre ? etc.??  I’m not sure what this is showing? 
    Just showing that every girl is frightened of me. Makes me feel like I am a movie villain.
    Is it possible you feel this because you may be over analyzing yourself and your feelings internally and vocalizing everything you’re analyzing about yourself and are you analyzing everything the girls are saying and doing? 
    It's because women avoid me. If they see me on campus at university they try sneak past or pretend they didn't see me.
    One time in a lecture, the fold down desk on my chair was broken so I had to move to the seat next to me so I could write notes during the lecture. The girl next to me then moved one chair over, there was one chair empty between us but she still moved. Like wtf? Am I that creepy? Do I ooze scary Kylo Ren intimidation?
    I don't mean to call you a liar or delusional, but I really doubt this description is accurate.
    Your perception is being skewed by preconceived bias.

I'm in a very happy and healthy marriage, but I'm pretty needy both physically and emotionally.  Sometimes when I get rejected (rejection is a normal part of a relationship btw) I get to feeling downright dejected and then I start perceiving all sorts of rejections that are entirely unintended and often complete fabricated.  Even from the literal other side of the planet I'm certain that's what is happening with you.  
    It's absolutely normal for strangers and loose acquaintances to avoid eye contact and conversation in public.  It's not because you frighten or disgust anyone, it's because they got shit to do and can't stop to talk to everyone they know.  My wife would have scooted down away from you too, most people aren't all that extroverted.
    I agree with the rejection even in a marriage or relationship . It's part if everyone's life
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,012
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm still interested in the Agnes saga and want to hear more.  I would pay for Agnes's Ten Club membership so she can take part in the conversation.
    I’d like to be invited to the wedding. 
    Don't be so modest. You're going to be the matron of honor, aren't you? 
    Agnes is actually my cousin and I hate to spoil it but  I ve already been asked. My speech is in the works. 
    Don't forget to include a healty dose of quotes from Riot Act.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Yes
    1st dance ..you are
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 972
    So advice on this situation...
    I really like this girl.  Problem is over the last year we have become like best friends, I'm proper in the friend zone.
    We also work in the same office and I've heard her say she'd never data a co-worker.

I've always thought of her as a friend but in the last couple weeks I've realised I like her more than just a friend, especially when I've seen her flirt with other guys.
    I don't want to say anything as I'm convinced she doesn't feel the same and it will ruin our friendship.

Anyone been in a similar situation where they've fallen for a friend?
    Am I best in trying to wait it out and get over this?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    edited November 2018
    Yes

I've only been in one relationship with a coworker but we weren't good friends going into it.  Lasted a few months and then fizzled out.  In the last couple of years at my office we have had about five or so work relationships turn into marriages or trending that way, so it definitely is doable.  People work so much these days so pretty natural to have relationships at work. 

Are you in the same group at work (i.e., working together on projects) or have different roles where you don't really have to interact on a daily basis?   I assume you aren't her boss or vice versa (gotta tread carefully if so).   

I'll let others with more work relationship experience respond with advice but hopefully asking something to the effect of "would you like to go out on a date?" versus "I've been madly in love with you for the last six months" won't ruin the friendship if she says no. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,022
    Yes
    I really like this girl.  Problem is over the last year we have become like best friends, I'm proper in the friend zone.
    We also work in the same office and I've heard her say she'd never data a co-worker.

I've always thought of her as a friend but in the last couple weeks I've realised I like her more than just a friend, especially when I've seen her flirt with other guys.
    I don't want to say anything as I'm convinced she doesn't feel the same and it will ruin our friendship.

I worked with a woman for four years, we became really good friends.  Long story short, we were both going through a divorce and I asked her out to dinner.  We ve now been married for over six years and things are awesome. My advice: you only got one shot at this. The worst she can say is no. Five years from me noe don’t want to second yourself on whether or not you should have asked that woman out.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Just ask.

It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do.

Butthole Surfers?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Also, almost 1,000 posts in this thread!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    Yes
    Agnes is aware of the thread right?  Has she read it?  
  • Options
    Yes
    dudeman said:
    Also, almost 1,000 posts in this thread!
    A slight curve ball here and there but overall a very amazing thread. 
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    edited November 2018
    No
    1000 posts. Congratulations Agnes! Here's some opera...
    https://youtu.be/8Qx2lMaMsl8

Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    No
     =)  It is an amazing thread! :joy:
  • Options
    Yes
    I still think spiritual dropped the ball but he still has a chance if he plays his cards right. 
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    I still think spiritual dropped the ball but he still has a chance if he plays his cards right. 
    No. She likes him as a friend. He needs to figure out if he can be friends with her and let go of his romantic feelings or not. She is not going to come around. It is difficult to have a guy (or girl, I suppose) friend who wants to 'be with you' when you only want to hang out with them. He needs to find Beth. 

And we need an update about the bimonthly beer pretty soon. Work deadlines were a good excuse for postponing, but getting appendicitis was really going for a delay. I gotta give you dedication in putting this off SC. And I hope you're feeling better. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,423

My advice: don’t dip your wick in the payroll.
  • Options
    Yes
    Really early on in this thread we were talking about male and female friends.  More and more examples of how friends become more in one person's eyes . I say Don t risk it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Agnes is aware of the thread right?  Has she read it?  
    She knows I asked Pearl Jam fans with a poll. haha. 

But I doubt she cares enough to search the thread out.

As in, she doesn't care enough about me. Boo-hoo.

YOU 
    COULD
    BE 
    MIIIIIIII-IIIINEEEE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Really early on in this thread we were talking about male and female friends.  More and more examples of how friends become more in one person's eyes . I say Don t risk it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIkVV2AuEQw
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thank you. but that's just another thing you're wrong about :P  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,066

yes, but it's impossible to give real advice, as all people are different. you might be firmly in the friend zone, she might think she is. you might wreck the friendship, or, depending on the strength of your relationship, might go right back to being friends or you may not. 

you really just have to read the room. do you have another friend in the office you could trust with this info to get their take on it? they might be like "dude, she's totally not into you at ALL", or "um, we've all seen how she flirts with you, we've all got an office pool going wondering when you'll ask her out". 

I was once super good friends with a girl in my 20's. like, insanely close. we were both single for a while, so after a kind-of-awkward conversation, decided to give it a go. it was weird. lasted about a week before we both admitted to each other it seemed kind of icky. so we went back to being friends. (luckily, by that point, nothing significantly physical had occured). 

I agree with those who say don't regret not doing something. honestly, the things you do that you regret are forgotten. the things you regret not doing are the things you remember forever. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    by the time you ask her out, she will be married with kids...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,924
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thank you. but that's just another thing you're wrong about :P  
    His Yankee fandom has nothing to do with Agnes. 

:look_at_the_time:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    he asked her, like, 5 pages ago at least. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    No
    That's right, we have Agnes historians.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    No
    Agnes's answer can be found on page 20. :glasses:

What changed your mind? :confused:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,743
    edited November 2018
    Yes

I've been on the receiving end of this several times. It never works. I've never seen it work with other people, and it's never worked for me. In most cases, the woman would know that more is possible between her and a guy a LOT faster than that. If she isn't having the same feelings by now, she is very unlikely to ever have those feelings. Your only options are to 1) forget about it and either let the feelings go away or stop being her friend entirely so that you're not torturing yourself, or 2) express how you feel just to make sure she's not got the same feelings for you (obviously this option is riskier in terms of holding onto any possibility of a platonic friendship as you move forward, although that is definitely not impossible - I've seen that work).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    No
    What advice would you give Force Of Nature, Spiritual_Chaos?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,460
    edited November 2018
    If I worked with the person I would chill out.

If I didn't I would ask her out with a cool-as-a-cuccumber textmessage. 

And if she would say "No thanks", I would stack up as many deadlines and surgeries and trips home I could so I wouldn't have to meet her again untill some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.
  • Options
    If I worked with the person I would chill out.

If I didn't I would ask her out with a cool-as-a-cuccumber textmessage. 

And if she would say "No thanks", I would stack up as many deadlines and surgeries and trips home I could so I wouldn't have to meet her again untill some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.
    LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

I've been on the receiving end of this several times. It never works. I've never seen it work with other people, and it's never worked for me. In most cases, the woman would know that more is possible between her and a guy a LOT faster than that. If she isn't having the same feelings by now, she is very unlikely to ever have those feelings. Your only options are to 1) forget about it and either let the feelings go away or stop being her friend entirely so that you're not torturing yourself, or 2) express how you feel just to make sure she's not got the same feelings for you (obviously this option is riskier in terms of holding onto any possibility of a platonic friendship as you move forward, although that is definitely not impossible - I've seen that work).
    It happens all the time!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?