Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    Everybody has problems. Everybody. I'm sure that there is a counseling service at university. They have free counseling available at colleges in the US so I'm sure they have it available in Australia. 

Find out and make an appt and see the counselor on a regular basis until they or you feel that you are past your negative thoughts and, more concerning, talk of suicide and death. 

Seeing a counselor doesn't make you weird, you'd be amazed at how many people need someone to talk to with varying levels of experience in social work and psychology. Please make an appt. You are in a cycle of negativity and you need more than a bunch of people posting on a PJ forum that can't see you and aren't educated in therapy. 

Good Luck. And not having someone in your life is not bad. Sometimes it is better to be alone than to be with someone who makes you miserable. You need to love yourself before you can love another person. I hope you work on that first. 

• Options
    No
    ^^^Yes, that's the best advice, seek other counsel.  :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    Yes
    Thank you dude.
    I'll see if she initiates conversation with me first. If it's only me doing the initiating then that's a sign of no interest.
    If she initiates I'll chat for a bit here and then ask her out.
    As I said before, not getting my hopes up as I've been down this road so many times.
    As for opposites attracting, every single lecturer at university tells us that they do not based on evidence. Even as recently as this semester in my social psychology subject. 
    If you always wait for the woman to initiate, I’ve got bad news for ya...
    Just strike up conversation and go from there. If you don’t talk to her, she’s gonna think the same thing (no interest) and move on. Women don’t waste time.
    Yes, another good point. She very well could be thinking about waiting for him to initiate more conversation... if both are doing that, no more conversation! Games/tactics like that are not helpful.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,815
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:
    What's Agnes up to these days?

Who's going to ask her out next?
    I am actually flying her to the states for the holidays.  We are going to head to vegas for a few days; I booked a room with two queen sized beds so my wife was cool with it.  
    Room has a stripper pole, mirror on the ceiling, in room hot tub and a special swing mounted from the ceiling. But Mrs. McG knows they are just buddies. It's all good. On fact, Mrs. McG is even paying for Mr. McG and Agnes to go to the Bunny Ranch for a few hours. But it's cool....they're just going to have a few beers in the lounge and go back to the sex suite and play Uno, Risk and Monopoly. 

***editors note***

You may do well to fill your wife in on the saga that is Agnes before I meet her. Just saying...
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    edited November 2018
    Yes
    @njnancy has wise words.
    I went to a therapist before, during a time in my life when things went to shit. It was actually very helpful, even though I didn't think it would be at all. It wasn't helpful because he told me stuff I didn't already know (although that may well be the case for many, depending on the person and their issues), but simply because it was extremely validating.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yeah, I went for a spell years ago and now have been going again regularly as I navigate through some heavy stuff and its ripple-effects.  Like with PJS, sometimes she says something I know, or maybe knew but avoided, or asks a question that opens a fountain of...myself.

I'm not sure validation is a factor in my case this go-around, though I think it can be invaluable in the right situations.  For me, it provides release and through that, clarity.  Maybe strength too.

It's a long fucking process, and while therapy may eventually end, that search never does.

If anyone chooses that route, find the right therapist for you, one with whom you're comfortable.  Honesty is key, as is the sense of freedom to speak freely.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    So what's up with Agnes?  Is she out of the picture.   Does she know that there are 33 pages of comment about her on pearljam.com?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    I really have to just ask this Thoughts_Arrive ....... Are you sure you don't have a B.O. problem? Because that is the one thing that would definitely make me move down a seat away from someone like that, and also the most common reason I avoid someone I don't really know in general. I am forced to do just that on a semi-regular basis because there are a lot of men with rank B.O. Nothing is more repellant. I have to assume these men with terrible terrible body odor are truly unaware of how bad they smell and maybe they have no one in their lives willing to broach that uncomfortable subject.
    If you think this could be the issue, feel free to PM me for tips. I have helped people with this before.
    She moved as soon as I sat down. She wouldn't even have had time to smell me if I did smell bad.
    No I don't have a BO problem, not to my knowledge. I shower before university and use a lot of deodorant. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Yes
    hedonist said:
    Yes, I recall the tellings of the girl who moved her seat.

Good (if awkward!) point made above; also consider someone may want their personal space or just don't feel like chit-chatting.  It's not always about you.

I got nothing else, TA.  You've asked for and been given so much worthy advice - and support - but aside from saying thanks or offering up an excuse or claiming you'll look into a suggestion, that's it.

So, I wish you luck.
    I didn't move next to her to chit chat and did not even say one word to her.
    I just moved because my seat was broken.
    You can't chit chat in a lecture, especially when you in the front row right in front of the lecturer. 
    Thanks.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Yes
    Yeah, we can only suggest so much, we don't know why women would feel intimidated in your presence. If you stare at them like Charles Manson, Queer Eye probably isn't going to be that helpful. 
    I don't stare.
  • Options
    Yes
    Thank you dude.
    I'll see if she initiates conversation with me first. If it's only me doing the initiating then that's a sign of no interest.
    As I said before, not getting my hopes up as I've been down this road so many times.
    As for opposites attracting, every single lecturer at university tells us that they do not based on evidence. Even as recently as this semester in my social psychology subject. 
    Just strike up conversation and go from there. If you don’t talk to her, she’s gonna think the same thing (no interest) and move on. Women don’t waste time.
    If she doesn't within a few days then I'll say hi first.
    Usually if a woman messages first online it is a sign she is keen if not then she is not.
  • Options
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    Everybody has problems. Everybody. I'm sure that there is a counseling service at university. They have free counseling available at colleges in the US so I'm sure they have it available in Australia. 

Find out and make an appt and see the counselor on a regular basis until they or you feel that you are past your negative thoughts and, more concerning, talk of suicide and death. 

Seeing a counselor doesn't make you weird, you'd be amazed at how many people need someone to talk to with varying levels of experience in social work and psychology. Please make an appt. You are in a cycle of negativity and you need more than a bunch of people posting on a PJ forum that can't see you and aren't educated in therapy. 

Good Luck. And not having someone in your life is not bad. Sometimes it is better to be alone than to be with someone who makes you miserable. You need to love yourself before you can love another person. I hope you work on that first. 

I've seen the university counsellor a number of times.
    I can't recall talking of suicide?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    Thank you dude.
    Yes, another good point. She very well could be thinking about waiting for him to initiate more conversation... if both are doing that, no more conversation! Games/tactics like that are not helpful.
    Isn't it game over if you do the chasing as a guy in an online context? Like she'll see that I am desperate? Or annoying?
    I saw some dating tips on youtube and the 'expert' said that don't contact the woman and she'll eventually get frustrated and contact first. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    PJ_Soul said:
    Thank you dude.
    Isn't it game over if you do the chasing as a guy in an online context? Like she'll see that I am desperate? Or annoying?
    I saw some dating tips on youtube and the 'expert' said that don't contact the woman and she'll eventually get frustrated and contact first. 
    If you send her 100 messages a day, yes. But if you just strike up a convo there’s no harm. Stop overthinking it.
  • Options
    What are we talking about in this thread nowadays? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Yes
    Back to Agnes.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:
    What's Agnes up to these days?

Who's going to ask her out next?
    I am actually flying her to the states for the holidays.  We are going to head to vegas for a few days; I booked a room with two queen sized beds so my wife was cool with it.  
    Room has a stripper pole, mirror on the ceiling, in room hot tub and a special swing mounted from the ceiling. But Mrs. McG knows they are just buddies. It's all good. On fact, Mrs. McG is even paying for Mr. McG and Agnes to go to the Bunny Ranch for a few hours. But it's cool....they're just going to have a few beers in the lounge and go back to the sex suite and play Uno, Risk and Monopoly. 

***editors note***

You may do well to fill your wife in on the saga that is Agnes before I meet her. Just saying...
    I don't think my wife could comprehend this thread! lol
    I would lose her with: "so a guy posted a poll on whether he should ask a woman out".  That would be it. lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

EVERY GUY HAS AN AGNES
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    I really have to just ask this Thoughts_Arrive ....... Are you sure you don't have a B.O. problem? Because that is the one thing that would definitely make me move down a seat away from someone like that, and also the most common reason I avoid someone I don't really know in general. I am forced to do just that on a semi-regular basis because there are a lot of men with rank B.O. Nothing is more repellant. I have to assume these men with terrible terrible body odor are truly unaware of how bad they smell and maybe they have no one in their lives willing to broach that uncomfortable subject.
    If you think this could be the issue, feel free to PM me for tips. I have helped people with this before.
    She moved as soon as I sat down. She wouldn't even have had time to smell me if I did smell bad.
    No I don't have a BO problem, not to my knowledge. I shower before university and use a lot of deodorant. 
    Maybe she likes her personal space. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Yes
    Did you man up yet and meet for drinks? Your work deadline has come and long gone.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Did you man up yet and meet for drinks? Your work deadline has come and long gone.
    I went home to my hometown resting up from surgery with antibiotics so I'm not in the same city and I'm not allowed to drink right now.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    How girls feel when I try to get to know them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkUmmnAyy8
    Are you trying to get to know them with a light sabre ? etc.??  I’m not sure what this is showing? 
    Just showing that every girl is frightened of me. Makes me feel like I am a movie villain.
    Is it possible you feel this because you may be over analyzing yourself and your feelings internally and vocalizing everything you’re analyzing about yourself and are you analyzing everything the girls are saying and doing? 
    It's because women avoid me. If they see me on campus at university they try sneak past or pretend they didn't see me.
    One time in a lecture, the fold down desk on my chair was broken so I had to move to the seat next to me so I could write notes during the lecture. The girl next to me then moved one chair over, there was one chair empty between us but she still moved. Like wtf? Am I that creepy? Do I ooze scary Kylo Ren intimidation?
    I don't mean to call you a liar or delusional, but I really doubt this description is accurate.
    Your perception is being skewed by preconceived bias.

I'm in a very happy and healthy marriage, but I'm pretty needy both physically and emotionally.  Sometimes when I get rejected (rejection is a normal part of a relationship btw) I get to feeling downright dejected and then I start perceiving all sorts of rejections that are entirely unintended and often complete fabricated.  Even from the literal other side of the planet I'm certain that's what is happening with you.  
    It's absolutely normal for strangers and loose acquaintances to avoid eye contact and conversation in public.  It's not because you frighten or disgust anyone, it's because they got shit to do and can't stop to talk to everyone they know.  My wife would have scooted down away from you too, most people aren't all that extroverted.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    No
    Why are you dismissing the posts about going to counseling? After all, aren't you going to school to be a counselor, Thoughts_Arrive?
  • Options
    No
    Or therapist, I mean.
  • Options
    Yes
    Who says I am dismissing the posts?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Yes
    I'm still interested in the Agnes saga and want to hear more.  I would pay for Agnes's Ten Club membership so she can take part in the conversation.
  • Options
    Yes
    I'm still interested in the Agnes saga and want to hear more.  I would pay for Agnes's Ten Club membership so she can take part in the conversation.
    I’d like to be invited to the wedding. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    No
    I don’t give a fat rat’s ass what you do.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    Don't be so modest. You're going to be the matron of honor, aren't you? 
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    Don't be so modest. You're going to be the matron of honor, aren't you? 
    Agnes is actually my cousin and I hate to spoil it but  I ve already been asked. My speech is in the works.