Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

1363738394042»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:
    Darwins theory. I know nature seems cruel to us for sure. The idea is the stronger sneaky ones get away and live to breed other smarty pants birds. Ya know.
    Something like that. 

Circle of life . Lots of birds kill other birds and steal eggs all sorts of mischief.  Nature is a mutha F

my understanding of nature is that animals kill for reasons, like territory, or food, or competition of some kind. I've read that Blue Jays basically do it for sport. Which seems like asshole-y behaviour to me. I haven't heard of other animals doing this. 
    Foxes, spotted hyenas, felines (domestic and wild), and honey badgers have all been observed surplus killing, often just for the pleasure of the kill. I remember watching one of the bbc documentaries, Planet Earth I think, showing hyenas killing baby seals along the coast of Namibia just for fun.

Seems to me I've heard some humans exhibit similar traits.  I could be wrong. :wink: 
    I’ve heard that rumour too 🤔😳☹️

I know, bummer.
    But I like your smilies.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    Loujoe said:
    Darwins theory. I know nature seems cruel to us for sure. The idea is the stronger sneaky ones get away and live to breed other smarty pants birds. Ya know.
    Something like that. 

Circle of life . Lots of birds kill other birds and steal eggs all sorts of mischief.  Nature is a mutha F

my understanding of nature is that animals kill for reasons, like territory, or food, or competition of some kind. I've read that Blue Jays basically do it for sport. Which seems like asshole-y behaviour to me. I haven't heard of other animals doing this. 
    Foxes, spotted hyenas, felines (domestic and wild), and honey badgers have all been observed surplus killing, often just for the pleasure of the kill. I remember watching one of the bbc documentaries, Planet Earth I think, showing hyenas killing baby seals along the coast of Namibia just for fun.
    fuck. nature sucks then. haha
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • McGruffMcGruff Posts: 51
    brianlux said:
    I saw some woodpeckers in Spruce Woods Provincial Park a few years back. No word of a lie they looked 2-3 feet tall. My wife and kids kept looking at them like "are we really seeing this?". We were far enough away that we thought maybe our perception was skewed somehow. We still aren't sure, as all my research suggests we were all seeing things.

edit: just looked it up again. the one I saw has an "average" size of a foot and a half. so I guess that's not far off. the pileated one pictured above. 

Could be that's what you saw- the Pileated.  They are BIG!  They sound cool as well.
    Yeah, those Pileated Woodpeckers are pretty big. We have a pretty decent amount of them around here. Lots of songbirds as well. Blue Jays, Cardinals, Robins. Hummingbirds, too. And I know there's a Great Horned Owl living in the thatch of pines a few hundred feet from my backyard. I haven't seen him, but I hear him often.
    McGruff said:
    brianlux said:
    I saw some woodpeckers in Spruce Woods Provincial Park a few years back. No word of a lie they looked 2-3 feet tall. My wife and kids kept looking at them like "are we really seeing this?". We were far enough away that we thought maybe our perception was skewed somehow. We still aren't sure, as all my research suggests we were all seeing things.

edit: just looked it up again. the one I saw has an "average" size of a foot and a half. so I guess that's not far off. the pileated one pictured above. 

Could be that's what you saw- the Pileated.  They are BIG!  They sound cool as well.
    Yeah, those Pileated Woodpeckers are pretty big. We have a pretty decent amount of them around here. Lots of songbirds as well. Blue Jays, Cardinals, Robins. Hummingbirds, too. And I know there's a Great Horned Owl living in the thatch of pines a few hundred feet from my backyard. I haven't seen him, but I hear him often.

Lets hear it for birds!
    LOVE ON THE WING, Paul Westerberg:
    This one came with no guarantee
    Came without instructions
    Without directions it'll leave
    Dusty blue and gray cobweb green
    Love to whisk you away

It's just the whisky talking
    On your mobile device
    To touch base and not to face
    Could never suffice

Cautiously desperate
    Yet no guarantee
    Dusty blue gray
    And cobweb green

You won't see me soar or fly
    I'm the shyest in the sky, by far
    and the star for which all evenings wait
    Lady in waiting, man in a rush

Cedar waxwing and a hermit thrush
    He's the star for which all evenings wait
    You are the dusk, you feel his ache
    darkness then bring
    Love on the wing, love on the wing

Brown-eyed creeper with the deep dark eyes
    I'd like to keep her in paradise
    But she makes her own in dead or dying trees
    I close my eyes it ain't her I see

But the yellow warbler I adore
    Me she ignores
    Last to leave in autumn
    And the first one back in spring

See the barn swallow, smell the gunsmoke
    lonely tomorrow, hear the farm choke
    Baby--Love on the wing

It's down to a finch, or a common house wren
    Can't stand the stench of either of them
    I could go back to the one, for the one there who waits
    For me to return and sing
    Who knows what tomorrow may bring?
    I am the star for which all evenings wait
    You are the dusk, feel my ache, darkness brings
    Love on the wing
    She didn't mean a thing

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,893

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,644
    Loujoe said:

Beautiful photo!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    damn raccoons.family of four(mama and 3 youngins) come to the yard daily. been eating the newly formed jalapeños and poblanos. seem to not care as much for the serranos though.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    damn raccoons.family of four(mama and 3 youngins) come to the yard daily. been eating the newly formed jalapeños and poblanos. seem to not care as much for the serranos though.

I long thought raccoons were just sooooo cute.  Until back in 1988, that is, when I was living in this house where every time I put the trash out, they made a mess of it all over the front lawn.  I got up early on morning on trash collection day and went out to chase them off.  The biggest of this gang of masked thugs gave me this "f*ck off a-hole" look and all but snarled and then chased me back into the house.  I swear, that thing would have ripped my legs off if I hadn't been spry and quick like I was back then.  I steer clear of them now. 
    Cute?  Maybe, but they're a "damn nuisance"!

• Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,393

This hawk got himself a little baby bunny this morning in my neighborhood. He was unfazed by the little birds buzzing him trying to shoo him away and eventually flew away with his breakfast. 
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958

This hawk got himself a little baby bunny this morning in my neighborhood. He was unfazed by the little birds buzzing him trying to shoo him away and eventually flew away with his breakfast. 

Very cool.  So proud of his breakfast 😂 
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504

What a beauty! 
    I love those little frogs.  We get similar- little green tree frogs with speckles.  Very cool!

• northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,850
    My paddleboarding buddy.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited August 9
    Awww.... I have little ducks that come visit my boat when they're hungry

Also your lake looks super flat and I want to ski that  😆
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,393
    edited August 10
    This dude shows up every afternoon and chills for a while.  Several Cooper’s hawks have taken up residence in a large tree on the property behind me displacing the flock of wild parrots that used to live there. 

Post edited by Guy Dudebro on
    This dude sits shows up every afternoon and chills for a while.  Several Cooper’s hawks have taken up residence in a large tree on the property behind me displacing the flock of wild parrots that used to live there. 

What a beauty.  Great photo!

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,893
    top one is a 'Giant Swallowtail' rare for me to see. They flutter non stop so was glad to get a picture. Could be laying eggs. We try to plant lots of host and food plants for butterflies. Really pays off when they stop by and especially when they lay eggs all over.  ❤️ 
    Loujoe said:
    top one is a 'Giant Swallowtail' rare for me to see. They flutter non stop so was glad to get a picture. Could be laying eggs. We try to plant lots of host and food plants for butterflies. Really pays off when they stop by and especially when they lay eggs all over.  ❤️ 

Growing up, I saw swallowtails in my backyard and around the neighborhood frequently in the summer.  It had been so long since I'd seen one, I had forgotten about them until about a week ago and saw one a few miles from here and the brought back a flood of memories.  They are so beautiful!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    I finally saw a squirrel pee. First time ever. And it turns out that they urine is just raining down from the trees, lol. I guess their poop does too. Heads up everyone!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I finally saw a squirrel pee. First time ever. And it turns out that they urine is just raining down from the trees, lol. I guess their poop does too. Heads up everyone!

Haha!  Well, to be honest, I would find that curiously interesting.   Some animals are very shy when it comes to bodily functions.
    And then there are dogs... :lol:

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386

There's a Heron outside in Violet light