Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

1333435363739»

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,738
    Great pic Speedy. Melts the heart!
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,930
    I started a new job a few weeks ago.  Outside of my window was a Canadian Goose 🐍🐔 (cobra chickens) sat on six eggs 🥚. They hatched this week, either late Tuesday or early Wednesday morning.

I should add, I’m on the second floor! 😳

Yesterday they jumped off the building!!!!

Mom and dad were down on the ground waiting for them.

please excuse the picture quality, they’re screen shots from a video I took.

One of my co-workers got an awesome video of the last one coming down.  I took some screen shots for that video as well.

It actually bounced when it hit the ground! Then it got up and shook itself off.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,212
    Given to fly
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Good one - snicker 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,966
    Woah. Didn't know they did that. Supercool
  • Options
    Given to fly
    😂😂😂
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,026
    just noticed the ripped out bird spikes....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,052
    Those baby geese are so cute. What a cool little slice of nature you got to witness. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    just noticed the ripped out bird spikes....
    Yes, we all noticed those as well.  Mama didn’t seem to mind them at all.
  • Options
    @GlowGirl

yes, the babies are super cute; however, the overprotective parents can be quite aggressive.  They have earned the nickname cobra chickens with good reason lol 😂 
  • Options
    at work. she built her nest in a clump of ornamental grass that was cut back for winter. we saw the foreseeable danger , so we put this up when the babies hatch and fledge. The parking space next to her is blocked off with a cone. She of course was displeased at the barrier install process, but we got it up and done before she was done laying. The other day I saw her off the nest with dad in an adjacent field and had covered the eggs with her down feathers. Should hatch in 3 weeks or so.... and fledge a couple days later....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    👍 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,560
    I’ve got goddam rat(s) in my backyard. not NYC size but still rats. :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,797
    Wobbie said:

Augh!  Rats... awful!
    They actually make good pets as long as you keep an eye on them and don't let them eat you clothes.  Also good food for a pet boa constrictor.  But undomesticated rats are a nightmare.  They crawl around in the ceiling and walls and keep you awake, eat you car's wiring, get into your food, chew on just about anything.  Varmints! 

Years ago when I worked at a college bookstore (De Anza College) I went into work early and thought I saw a small dog on campus.  I got closer to check it out and realized it was a giant rat!  It kind of looked at me like, "F*ck off!", and scampered into some bushes.  Creepy! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Wobbie said:
    Better than the house!
  • Options
    Much as I like the big, the colorful, the unique, even the bizarre wild things in the animal kingdom, I'm also often fascinated by the very smallest and most common critters.  Like, for example, little Ralphie here who spent about an hour running around in circles near the pen on my desk before finally lifting off to part unknown.  Ralphie did seem to tire out now an then and would flatten his body to the table.  When he did that, he looked like a mere bread crumb.  But then, quite soon, he would stretch up on his long legs that are about as thin as the finest thread and start running in circles again. His little circus act kept me quite amused in between writing sentences here at my desk.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    are the highways and byways my backyard? yeah. kinda.

last night I saw a mama duck with ducklings in tow, attempting to cross the freeway. Hope they stayed on the shoulder where I passed them.

then was a fox that wasnt scared by traffic just off the shoulder in the grass about 20 miles after the ducks.

finally I saw a coyote that had just reached the median..

• Options
    Saw a 3 legged fox the other day. Got along fine as could be. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Saw a 3 legged fox the other day. Got along fine as could be. 

I had a three legged pet toad named Toadie when I was a kid.  He got along just fine.  Kind of like hop-fwomp-hop-fwomp-hop-fwomp...

• Options
    edited May 16
    I watch Osprey fish for fun. Apparently they sting and or pound their pray or stun them or something and then they swoop back to get them

• Options
    What a picture! Amazing
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Yeah taught that photographer guy to pull me up for a water ski today. next time I'll make sure he brings his camera aboard. He'd make a great spotter.
  • Options
    I love birds of prey. Majestic 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Love the new baby duckies!
  • Options
    I caught a brief glimpse of a row of babies turkey and their mama.  Too late to grab the phone (or, actually, too early to remember where I left it) but, dang!, were they ever the cutest little things!

• Options
    Hey, Ocean!