Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,665
    What bird is that. I wish we had such beautiful birds. 
    I did see a kestrel killing a mouse about 10 feet from me on a golf course last week
    Pretty sure that is a BlueJay
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    edited June 29
    Beautiful . We have a jay that is smaller and pretty. But only has one blue feather on each wing. That this looks great
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,665
    Beautiful . We have a jay that is smaller and pretty. But only has one blue feather on each wing. That this looks great
    They are beautiful looking birds, but they are very mean!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    What bird is that. I wish we had such beautiful birds. 
    I did see a kestrel killing a mouse about 10 feet from me on a golf course last week
    Blue jay, yes they can be super territorial … I learned the hard way cleaning my gutters… was up on the ladder and o guess near their nest without knowing a few buzzed me, real close… few inches from my noggin. They have some girth to them 😜

I live on the north shore of Long Island, just down the street we have a few American Bald Eagles that appeared a few years ago …. Photographers galore everyday, it’s majestic when I drive near the harbor and they take flight over the water… it’s beautiful . 
    A few pics
    one is young, no white cap yet

ill look in my phone later for some flight shots, think I have a few
    Birds of prey are my absolute favourite creature 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,893
    Wow..super pictures 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,788
    Those eagles are beautiful.
    There’s a beautiful road ( fort Salonga for you LIers) and I take it to my office, it’s treelined rd and some days if traffic slows, I see them fly over my car and it’s like holy shit did that just happen 

The young one was taken at my boss house, right in front.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    Blue Jays are absolutely, 100% assholes. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Blue Jays are absolutely, 100% assholes. 

Stellar jays are rather obnoxious, especially while camping.  I figured out a long time ago some of the jay/English translation.  The phrse they use most often around campers early in the morning is "Wake the f#ck up, asshole!"

On the other hand, scrub jays are a lot mellower and grey jays are just plain sweet birds!

Scrub jay:
    California Scrub-Jay Identification All About Birds Cornell Lab of  Ornithology

Grey jay:
    Canada Jay Identification All About Birds Cornell Lab of Ornithology

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Blue Jays are known for killing other birds for absolutely no reason at all. 

www.headstonesband.com

Darwins theory. I know nature seems cruel to us for sure. The idea is the stronger sneaky ones get away and live to breed other smarty pants birds. Ya know.
    Something like that. 

edited June 30
    Circle of life . Lots of birds kill other birds and steal eggs all sorts of mischief.  Nature is a mutha F

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• McGruffMcGruff Posts: 51

Awesome birds
    Loujoe said:
    Darwins theory. I know nature seems cruel to us for sure. The idea is the stronger sneaky ones get away and live to breed other smarty pants birds. Ya know.
    Something like that. 

Circle of life . Lots of birds kill other birds and steal eggs all sorts of mischief.  Nature is a mutha F

my understanding of nature is that animals kill for reasons, like territory, or food, or competition of some kind. I've read that Blue Jays basically do it for sport. Which seems like asshole-y behaviour to me. I haven't heard of other animals doing this. 

www.headstonesband.com

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,788
    My mom used to have a couple of wrens build a nest every year and have some babies. A blue jay would always try to swoop in and either bother the babies or try to take food. Parents were pissed! My mom would tent the hanging flower pot in foil and sometimes sit out there on her patio to deter the blue jay. She did not like that bird!
    McGruff said:

Pileated Woodpeckers, marvelous!  I've only seen one ever.  How cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited July 3
    I saw some woodpeckers in Spruce Woods Provincial Park a few years back. No word of a lie they looked 2-3 feet tall. My wife and kids kept looking at them like "are we really seeing this?". We were far enough away that we thought maybe our perception was skewed somehow. We still aren't sure, as all my research suggests we were all seeing things.

edit: just looked it up again. the one I saw has an "average" size of a foot and a half. so I guess that's not far off. the pileated one pictured above. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

I saw some woodpeckers in Spruce Woods Provincial Park a few years back. No word of a lie they looked 2-3 feet tall. My wife and kids kept looking at them like "are we really seeing this?". We were far enough away that we thought maybe our perception was skewed somehow. We still aren't sure, as all my research suggests we were all seeing things.

edit: just looked it up again. the one I saw has an "average" size of a foot and a half. so I guess that's not far off. the pileated one pictured above. 

Could be that's what you saw- the Pileated.  They are BIG!  They sound cool as well.

We have green woodpeckers at the golf course beautiful birds
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Loujoe said:
    Something like that. 

my understanding of nature is that animals kill for reasons, like territory, or food, or competition of some kind. I've read that Blue Jays basically do it for sport. Which seems like asshole-y behaviour to me. I haven't heard of other animals doing this. 
    ❤️ u HFD. F..k those blue Jay bullies
    Lot's of fawns, baby deer, wandering around now. 
    I have vocal barred owls by my house. One morning I heard a woodpecker making repetitive chirps. It flew across the road I was walking on followed by the owl. I'm guessing the owl was a juvenile and just following the woodpecker. I saw the owl in a tree. It kept after the other bird. I know they would eat them, but this seemed more like practice or play. I'd guess if it was going to eat t, it would be more stealthy and whamo.
    Kind of a bad picture but early morning with two dogs!

Loujoe said:
    Loujoe said:
    Something like that. 

❤️ u HFD. F..k those blue Jay bullies

There are few things that make camping less fun that stellar jays getting your day off to a bad start by having them squawk obnoxiously at 5 in the morning while you're trying to sleep.  That said, one of the things that has added to the problem is people in campgrounds, parks and other places feeding jays.  I've seen it done a million times.  They are super accustomed to humans feeding them which is probably the main reason they are so obnoxious as well as over populated. 

Also, I don't recall hearing or reading about those bad habits with more reclusive scrub jays, or the oh-so sweet grey jays who generally live at higher altitudes. 

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Loujoe said:
    Something like that. 

Foxes, spotted hyenas, felines (domestic and wild), and honey badgers have all been observed surplus killing, often just for the pleasure of the kill. I remember watching one of the bbc documentaries, Planet Earth I think, showing hyenas killing baby seals along the coast of Namibia just for fun.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    edited July 3
    Loujoe said:
    Something like that. 

Foxes, spotted hyenas, felines (domestic and wild), and honey badgers have all been observed surplus killing, often just for the pleasure of the kill. I remember watching one of the bbc documentaries, Planet Earth I think, showing hyenas killing baby seals along the coast of Namibia just for fun.

Seems to me I've heard some humans exhibit similar traits.  I could be wrong. :wink: 

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:
    Something like that. 

Seems to me I've heard some humans exhibit similar traits.  I could be wrong. :wink: 
    I’ve heard that rumour too 🤔😳☹️
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop