Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, they are cool! They are everywhere down here.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,904
    My parents get small lizards on their deck. Once in a while one would get in the house. Used to drive the dog nuts.
  • Options

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,748

Egret left, great blue heron right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yes to the left, on the right not totally sure. He was a bit far off and smaller than the great blue herons I see. Guide I have says maybe Little Blue heron or maybe reddish egret. He definitely had a bit more color than you can see in the photo.

Was hoping to see more Roseate Spoonbills, they are all over this area, but usually more May to October.
  • Options
    Yes to the left, on the right not totally sure. He was a bit far off and smaller than the great blue herons I see. Guide I have says maybe Little Blue heron or maybe reddish egret. He definitely had a bit more color than you can see in the photo.

Was hoping to see more Roseate Spoonbills, they are all over this area, but usually more May to October.

Nice!  Love those water birds!  (Actually, pretty much all birds!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,830
    Couldn't see the white one at first. Blends right in with the boat. Nice 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Couldn't see the white one at first. Blends right in with the boat. Nice 

Thought it was a fancy docking mechanism, eh Lou?  :smiley:

• Options

This picture is not doing this guy justice. He was huge! Eagle sized, but not bald eagle. Easily the size of my torso. A second was on the ground below but they flew off quick!
  • Options

• Options

Love the turtle parade!

• Options
    Your backyard looks dangerous!
  • Options
    edited April 5
    😂 
    Technically not my home backyard. We are at our vacation home in Florida my mom shares with some other couples. This is just nearby that.

Ive been coming for vacation here since I was born. Pretty place!
  • Options
    Guessing Sanibel 
  • Options
    😂 
    Technically not my home backyard. We are at our vacation home in Florida my mom shares with some other couples. This is just nearby that.

Ive been coming for vacation here since I was born. Pretty place!

Great area for wildlife.  The the humidity!  Also, I remember walking barefoot on someone's lawn down there.  It was like walking on thousands of dull pocket knife blades. 

• Options
    Loujoe said:
    Guessing Sanibel 
    Amelia Island
  • Options
    Enjoy. Looks beautiful!
  • Options
    We went to Sanibel a couple times. Once dolphins were charging the beach like 2 feet from up eating fish. Super cool to see. Great shell hunting. Love it.  Nature is something.
  • Options
    That sounds awesome! Love seeing dolphins. They are a lot of fun. We see them out in the water here but never that close!

At Jekyll Island, my school used to take the 5th graders on an overnight field trip and I had a similar experience with some dolphins popping up while we were seining (net fishing). 

Those kids loved it! Some of them had never seen the ocean, and here they were hanging out with dolphins.

Nature is great!
  • Options
    soph189soph189 Posts: 60

We have a hummingbird nest in our tree and the babies are getting so big 🥹 Took this the other day 
  • Options
    Wow! Beautiful!
  • Options
    soph189 said:

We have a hummingbird nest in our tree and the babies are getting so big 🥹 Took this the other day 

Sweet!

• Options
    Wow!
  • Options

Last day before heading home. An owl and a pelican party at the gate to the ferry coming back from dinner!
  • Options

Last day before heading home. An owl and a pelican party at the gate to the ferry coming back from dinner!

More great bird sighting, excellent! 
    Pelicans are so cool.  I love the way the glide low over the water.  I need to get out to the cost some time and watch for them!

• Options
    ^^^thx for sharing
  • Options
    soph189soph189 Posts: 60

Cute egret by our driveway gate today. It likes to visit from time to time 
  • Options
    Nice! He looks great up on the hill!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,559

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    edited April 18
    I have lived here for 22+ years, and this is the very first time I have ever seen a rabbit outside my building or anywhere in the neighborhood! Quite exciting, lol.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata