Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Down in Disney in Orlando staying in Animal Kingdom 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    Down in Disney in Orlando staying in Animal Kingdom 

Gorgeous creatures! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    Spunkie said:
    Me n my dear listening to some Simone Denny. Happy New Year!

Loves it
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    Yellow-bellied woodpecker at my mom's house

where? looks like a red-belly to me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    mickeyrat said:

South Carolina. Very well could be a red-belly. I thought my mom and stepfather said that's what they identified it as. However, I could have heard incorrectly as I was being the overprotective father of my 6 month old at his first Christmas...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    mickeyrat said:

South Carolina. Very well could be a red-belly. I thought my mom and stepfather said that's what they identified it as. However, I could have heard incorrectly as I was being the overprotective father of my 6 month old at his first Christmas...

Definitely a red-bellied woodpecker. Very cool.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    This is pretty cool, some kind of hawk just landed on my balcony porch

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Coopers. I can tell by the tail. Nice surprise!
  • Options
    This is pretty cool, some kind of hawk just landed on my balcony porch

Awesome! Hawks are amazing birds!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Once in my backyard there was a red tailed hawk that kept flying at a full grown deer. Not aggressively. The deer just kept moving around mildly annoyed. 

Maybe a juvenile hawk being playful/practicing hunting skills? Perhaps trying to get the deer to spook up a mouse out of the grass?
    Only saw that behavior once in my life.

Pretty amazing!

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Loujoe said:
    Coopers. I can tell by the tail. Nice surprise!

yeah, i used the google photos app on my phone and that's what it said as well, but still wasn't 100% sure. Definitely a nice surprise. :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    If you get a chance. Go out on an organized birding hike. You will learn cool stuff. I did one for waterbirds, another raptors (specifically short eared owls), warblers. Grab a cheap set of binoculars. Very cool world to open your eyes to. 
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Loujoe said:
    If you get a chance. Go out on an organized birding hike. You will learn cool stuff. I did one for waterbirds, another raptors (specifically short eared owls), warblers. Grab a cheap set of binoculars. Very cool world to open your eyes to. 
    Very fitting you suggest this today since it is National Bird Day.
  • Options

• Options

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

Haha!  Punk snow man- love it!

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Check out these assholes in my front yard just now

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889

Woah! Is your puppy going crazy. Whenever my parent's dog would spot a deer in the yard, she would go insane with her barking.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    GlowGirl said:

Woah! Is your puppy going crazy. Whenever my parent's dog would spot a deer in the yard, she would go insane with her barking.

She didn't notice them today. So far, she hasn't gotten too nuts with them yet. Our yard backs up to woods so we see them out all the time. Maybe she's just used to them by this point. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Grackles are back. One of my favorites.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,546

Semiahmoo First Nation Territory, Whiterock, BC
  • Options
    edited March 18
    This is Butch. He has adopted our backyard. Sometimes visited by his brother as well.

Its been an evolving set up. Started with food, treats and water. Had an old water dish and use a heated birdbath to keep from freezing. It works great. Added the pet carrier with the door removed. Lined with carpet pad and has several old sheets as the bed with a small lap blanket wadded up in to snuggle up in.  I put dry food on top of the carrier to keep my dog out of it. Put a can of tuna out occasionally(as pictured) . Last addition was the pop up canopy to keep things dry as possible.

theres a trail cam out there now. Have caught a pair of raccoons who come every night at just after dark. Sometimes they tip over the water.  A possum visits just after them and sometimes is already there finishing off the dry food. Takes exception with the coons. and will get the occasional skunk.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    Spunkie said:

Parents and baby. Awesome!!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    This is Butch. He has adopted our backyard. Sometimes visited by his brother as well.

Its been an evolving set up. Started with food, treats and water. Had an old water dish and use a heated birdbath to keep from freezing. It works great. Added the pet carrier with the door removed. Lined with carpet pad and has several old sheets as the bed with a small lap blanket wadded up in to snuggle up in.  I put dry food on top of the carrier to keep my dog out of it. Put a can of tuna out occasionally(as pictured) . Last addition was the pop up canopy to keep things dry as possible.

theres a trail cam out there now. Have caught a pair of raccoons who come every night at just after dark. Sometimes they tip over the water.  A possum visits just after them and sometimes is already there finishing off the dry food. Takes exception with the coons. and will get the occasional skunk.

Nice mrat. Consider catching them to get neutered or spayed then release. I think a lot of shelters do it for free. 
    Once saw a possum hanging on our bird feeder at night. Interesting seldom seen creatures of the night.
    Saw a flying squirrel the other early morning before light. 
    Again rarely seen nocturnal cuties...
  • Options
    edited March 19
    Loujoe said:
    Spunkie said:

Parents and baby. Awesome!!
    And an Ocean fish!

Semiahmoo First Nation had two nice smelling smoky fires going to the left and right of their breakfast habitat on this reserve (not Crown) land. (To keep out evil spirits? Hunters?)

A pro was taking shots for instagram and had mentioned travelling from the traditional ancestral and unceded shared territory of the Sts'ailes people (Harrison hotspring) area with them.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    Very interesting. Thx for the details
  • Options
    edited March 19
    Loujoe said:
    Very interesting. Thx for the details
    You're welcome. March 16, 2024 photo before lunch.

The adults are Brit and Rey (SurRey and British Columbia.) I was gifted with Brit's (female) trademark white feather.

https://forum.hancockwildlife.org/viewtopic.php?t=717&start=4020

Eagles, bring the gift of spirituality. Being highest in the sky, they carry our prayers to the Creator.

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    F..k yeah!
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,139

• Options

I love watching lizards (we get lots of western fence lizards in these parts) doing push ups.  I believe it has something to do with regulating their body temperature.  Sure is fun to watch them!