Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    GlowGirl said:

Apparently a group of iguanas is called a Mess. So on my last day in Costa Rica I stumbled across a mess of iguanas. Tomorrow back to NYC where the pigeons are my main wildlife. 

Iguanas are SO cool!  Never new their groups were called a "mess".  Interesting!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,179
    There’s a baby fox outside my house as I type this. Looks like a puppy.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    There’s a baby fox outside my house as I type this. Looks like a puppy.

that's pretty awesome! 

The other day when i was driving I saw like between 5-10 vultures picking on a dead deer off the side of the road.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,866
    Super cute. Imagine a world with no scavengers...lots of roadkill to be picked up.
  • Options
    keep an eye out. This little snapping turtle was in the road. They're hatching now. I'm always looking & not easy to spot.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    keep an eye out. This little snapping turtle was in the road. They're hatching now. I'm always looking & not easy to spot.

Cute little guy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    last night my teen came downstairs saying she thinks she could hear an owl outside. we went outside, and sure enough, at the top of a bare branch across our back lane was a lone owl, hooting away. got a 40 second video, but it's dark and all you see is this dark blob high up in a tree hooting. lol

not common to hear/see owls where I live (very close to downtown Winnipeg). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    last night my teen came downstairs saying she thinks she could hear an owl outside. we went outside, and sure enough, at the top of a bare branch across our back lane was a lone owl, hooting away. got a 40 second video, but it's dark and all you see is this dark blob high up in a tree hooting. lol

not common to hear/see owls where I live (very close to downtown Winnipeg). 

Nice!  Owls are so cool.  We hear hoot owls at night now and then but have never actually seen one here.

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,287
    Okay, let's see:

Some flocks of California quail live in our shrubs. My husband has taken to feeding them. There were several clutches of eggs that hatched in the spring, very high survival rate. Surprisingly, one hen had a second clutch last month! We have over fifty quail living in our yard now.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    2) 

Not in our yard, but not far from us: cow moose and calf, feeding. This was both awesome and kind of terrifying. I think these are part of the southernmost naturally occurring herd of moose:

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    3) Bucks with velvet still on their antlers. After years of living in NJ, I kind of shrug at deer (they're like giant locusts as far as I can tell), but my husband asked me to get some pictures of these boys. Not much I can do about the bog box, LOL.

• Options
    Quail look cool. Never saw them.

Huge rack on that one deer.
    This guy was hanging by me today.
    pretty majestic looking animal.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

The quail are interesting to watch: they sort of shuffle their feet to kick up food, and the chicks zip around in the grass like fluffy ping-pong balls.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

It's like he's saying, "Dig my groovy tail!"

Okay, let's see:

Some flocks of California quail live in our shrubs. My husband has taken to feeding them. There were several clutches of eggs that hatched in the spring, very high survival rate. Surprisingly, one hen had a second clutch last month! We have over fifty quail living in our yard now.

Quail are so sweet!  I love the way they half run/ half flutter when in a hurry, their feathery little bob on their heads, their sweet song.  They are one of Mother Natures most beautiful and gentle creatures!

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,926
    Bulking up for winter and trimming the grass. Win win!

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    ^^^Hi. I forgot i think you told me before.. Those are blacktail deer? Or mule? Nice animals
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    I was surprised to see him outside my window on Chroatmas morning! I have never seen any bird like it out there. I knew it was a hawk right away - a big one! He's about twice the size of a large crow, and fat AF, lol. He definitely seemed to be waiting for something. I looked it up and discovered it's a Cooper's hawk, which preys on song/feeder birds! Now I know what he was there for - my neighbor feeds birds (and sqirrels and raccoons and, unwittingly, rats and mice, and it drives me NUTS because it causes pest probs in the building!). I am hoping this guy comes back to hunt again, lol.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,683
    Our neighbouring black bears are roaming around for food rather than enjoying hibernation!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I was surprised to see him outside my window on Chroatmas morning! I have never seen any bird like it out there. I knew it was a hawk right away - a big one! He's about twice the size of a large crow, and fat AF, lol. He definitely seemed to be waiting for something. I looked it up and discovered it's a Cooper's hawk, which preys on song/feeder birds! Now I know what he was there for - my neighbor feeds birds (and sqirrels and raccoons and, unwittingly, rats and mice, and it drives me NUTS because it causes pest probs in the building!). I am hoping this guy comes back to hunt again, lol.

Hawks are amazing and beautiful but at the same time, very deadly.  Quite the conundrum!
    Spunkie said:
    Our neighbouring black bears are roaming around for food rather than enjoying hibernation!
    Yeow!  I love nature and would never say anything against wildlife, but I have a hard time with bears.  When I was a kid, I happened upon one suddenly while walking along a creek.  I look up, and there was this bear, right across the creek from me.  I freaked and just took right off and luckily the bear did not take chase.
    And then 4 or 5 years ago I heard a bunch of noise out on the deck in front of our place.  I turned on the porch light, and there was a bear trashing the place.  Fascinating, but scary!

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    3 deer hung out and took a nap the other evening on our front lawn. then left a pile of their pebbles near the front walk. nice. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    3 deer hung out and took a nap the other evening on our front lawn. then left a pile of their pebbles near the front walk. nice. 

"pebbles", haha!  Love it!

• Options
    sassssquachhhhh
  • Options

• Options
    Loujoe said:
    sassssquachhhhh

Meet the whole family!
    On the Hunt for Bigfoot at Sasquatch Festival  Culture  Seven Days   Vermonts Independent Voice

• Options
    Happy New Year, Turkeys!

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,839
    Not by my house, but I was in Portugal for Christmas week. We were out on a boat checking out rock formations when a huge pod of dolphins started playing around us. There were a lot more than this pic shows.

• Options

• Options
    eddiec said:
    Not by my house, but I was in Portugal for Christmas week. We were out on a boat checking out rock formations when a huge pod of dolphins started playing around us. There were a lot more than this pic shows.

Sweet!

Great photo!

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Yellow-bellied woodpecker at my mom's house

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,683
    edited January 2
    Me n my dear listening to some Simone Denny. Happy New Year!

Post edited by Spunkie on