Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    goldrush said:
    A very inquisitive rainbow lorikeet hanging out at our window yesterday. Such beautiful colours.

Beautiful!

Oh my!  HELLO there!
    Momma Groundhog had four babies, and I made them a salad bar so they stay away from the veggie garden.

LOL, very cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805

I dont think thst baffle is going to be effective
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,801
    Woah cool and funny salad bar! Does it work?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,907
    goldrush said:
    A very inquisitive rainbow lorikeet hanging out at our window yesterday. Such beautiful colours.

that has to be someone's pet I would think
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,290
    edited June 2023
    goldrush said:

We see a lot of these guys around in the trees near us, there are millions of them in Australia. They’re definitely wild, but pretty friendly. The colours look amazing when you see a lot of them flying together.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited June 2023
    Loujoe said:
    Woah cool and funny salad bar! Does it work?

It's mostly entertaining, they eat a lot. I also buried the fence in the ground to keep them out, and planted parsley in flower beds for them. They love carrots, cucumber, melon and clover, of which we have tons on the lawn. I have more video too :D
  • Options
    a pair have been coming in to the back yard. to rest. chill, whatever. Dog either ignores or doesnt see them because they stay still...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

We see a lot of these guys around in the trees near us, there are millions of them in Australia. They’re definitely wild, but pretty friendly. The colours look amazing when you see a lot of them flying together.
    oh ok didn't know they were from Australia and wild. Pretty cool looking. almost looks like a parakeet (that's why i thought it might be someone's pet).

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    I live in US and caught a parakeet on a fence when i was a kid. It was flying around with other birds. Kept it. Put a sign out that i caught it. Someone came with a cage to claim it, but it wasn't hers. Must have been lots of pets flying around.  Then i had one escape from me too later :( I kind of wonder if they'd naturally fly south when it got cold? Hmmmm

• Options
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

oh ok didn't know they were from Australia and wild. Pretty cool looking. almost looks like a parakeet (that's why i thought it might be someone's pet).

Some people do keep them as pets, but there are so many of them (I think around 18-19 million or something crazy like that) that you see them everywhere. I love the colours and I always stop to look every time I see them.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    We also saw a posse of cockatoos on the walk to school yesterday morning.

There are loads of these guys around as well, and they’re usually pretty loud!

(I wasn’t sure what to call a group of cockatoos strutting down the street like bad-asses, so ‘posse’ seemed to fit just fine)
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    goldrush said:
    We also saw a posse of cockatoos on the walk to school yesterday morning.

There are loads of these guys around as well, and they’re usually pretty loud!

(I wasn’t sure what to call a group of cockatoos strutting down the street like bad-asses, so ‘posse’ seemed to fit just fine)

cocks of the walk?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,972
    devils coach horse beetle.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Saw this guy outside our apartment complex today 🐰

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,894

We have a bunch of these little guys running around the trees near my hotel in Costa Rica. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    GlowGirl said:

We have a bunch of these little guys running around the trees near my hotel in Costa Rica. 

Awww, so cute!  
    Do you get to take one home?  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Dang. Nice. I thought u were at central park zoo!!
    Saw a bear  yesterday.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Dang. Nice. I thought u were at central park zoo!!
    Saw a bear  yesterday.
    Nope. These are monkeys in the wild. But they are used to people and apparently like being fed watermelon. 

• Options
    Our daily walk was VERY warm this evening, but made more pleasurable by our trail guides:
    IMG

• Options

Iguanas getting some sun. 
  • Options

For some reason I am craving Froot Loops 😁
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,920
    Great photos @GlowGirl

Froot Loops, yuuuuum!  
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,920
    Going to an early morning massage appointment and spotted this critter doing their morning ablutions. 

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

For some reason I am craving Froot Loops 😁

LOL.  Too cute!  :smile:

• Options
    Mother Nature certainly has her quirks which to some of us mere humans can be a bit disconcerting.
    Here we have a beautiful iridescent beetle that our cat Annie pounced on and nearly did in. It's from a group of beetles (family Buprestid) with the common name Metallic Wood Boring Beetle. I'm fairly certain this is a Golden Bubrested.
    Anyway, this beautiful creature is also quite destructive. It is one of several beetles wrecking havoc on western (and probably elsewhere) forests.
    IMG

• Options

• Options

Apparently a group of iguanas is called a Mess. So on my last day in Costa Rica I stumbled across a mess of iguanas. Tomorrow back to NYC where the pigeons are my main wildlife. 
  • Options
    ultra rare six-legged, two-headed fawn

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    ^LJ U witty mofo making me 😃 Smile
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    ultra rare six-legged, two-headed fawn

:lol: