Options

A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    mickeyrat said:
    I don't know who I am :-(
    what have you replaced painting with that brings comparable joy as descibed earlier?

I'd say picking up a brush again may help you find out who you are.

letters to a young poet by ranier maria rilke.  read it....
    Nothing. Glued to my phone addicted to Facebook and Instagram.

I just read the Wikipedia on that book. It sounds very interesting. Anything in particular you want me to get out of the book?

not going to rob you of your experience with it. be open to it. find what you're meant to find. share when yoi do.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    mickeyrat said:
    what have you replaced painting with that brings comparable joy as descibed earlier?

I just read the Wikipedia on that book. It sounds very interesting. Anything in particular you want me to get out of the book?

this is the thing that social media does to types like us. it draws us in, hoping to find something, anything, that we can relate to. at the same time as increasing our self-loathing because we believe all the fake "white picket fence" lives that people post about. IT'S ALL A LIE. if you post on social media the real stuff, people think you are craving attention. if you don't, which most don't, everyone is getting half, or less, of the actual picture of their lives. stop believing what you see on those platforms are even a fraction of what's going on in their lives. 

a few pictures of skiing on a mountain drinking wine in a hot tub is 0.000001% of someone's actual life. not everyone is an "influencer", and even those dudes are doing nothing but marketing themselves. do you believe all marketing? no. it's selling a product.

we all suffer, just to different degrees. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yeah I understand Facebook is all the good stuff only. Facebook has made me very angry and hateful because of all the racism, homophobia and Islamophobia. I search for connection on there. I'm always posting or sharing something and I get zero comments or likes. Makes me feel like a loser. Either people have unfollowed me or just ignore.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Yeah I understand Facebook is all the good stuff only. Facebook has made me very angry and hateful because of all the racism, homophobia and Islamophobia. I search for connection on there. I'm always posting or sharing something and I get zero comments or likes. Makes me feel like a loser. Either people have unfollowed me or just ignore.
    so just get off of it. seriously, dude, it isn't helping your mindset. you need to start recognizing what is and what isn't working for you, and either keep those things around or jettison them. get off facebook and start painting, for one. 

do what you love, not what others tell you you should love.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I was thinking the other day about maybe just deleting the app from my phone and only checking my account when I am on my MacBook.
    I'm constantly checking for updates and notifications on my phone.
    The hard part is feeling disconnected without Facebook.
    The other reason is that I share my artwork on Facebook groups for artists.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Some interesting findings especially the one where it makes you meeting people in real life more anxiety provoking
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    Some interesting findings especially the one where it makes you meeting people in real life more anxiety provoking
    ran across a different article about a long term study done. cant seem to recall from where or what publication...
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    I was thinking the other day about maybe just deleting the app from my phone and only checking my account when I am on my MacBook.
    and you still can by being more deliberate about your usage. I use mobile browser on firefox.

• Options

mickeyrat said:

this is the thing that social media does to types like us. it draws us in, hoping to find something, anything, that we can relate to. at the same time as increasing our self-loathing because we believe all the fake "white picket fence" lives that people post about. IT'S ALL A LIE. if you post on social media the real stuff, people think you are craving attention. if you don't, which most don't, everyone is getting half, or less, of the actual picture of their lives. stop believing what you see on those platforms are even a fraction of what's going on in their lives. 

a few pictures of skiing on a mountain drinking wine in a hot tub is 0.000001% of someone's actual life. not everyone is an "influencer", and even those dudes are doing nothing but marketing themselves. do you believe all marketing? no. it's selling a product.

we all suffer, just to different degrees. 

100%

Although I don't use Facebook , I do use Instagram but follow less than 100 people ( 80 of them family / close friends / college friends ect ) the other 20 being bands or others that I just want to keep up with.

However its all a lie , that one second photo does in encapsulate the rest of their day. It is truly toxic for the brain and if you suffer from anxiety or depression you can feel like shit , get that feeling of " why is that not my life "

One of my very good friends is in an awful marriage they have been unhappy for years  ( I know because well I talk to him twice a week ) however if you looked thru his wife's IG account you would think that they are in the happiest marriage of all time.

Social Media is all smoke and mirrors.

I think over the next 10-15 years we will see the very ill effects it has on the youth.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    and you still can by being more deliberate about your usage. I use mobile browser on firefox.
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

more selective in when and how you use the platform to share your work. deleting the app is a good start.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

more selective in when and how you use the platform to share your work. deleting the app is a good start.
    Thought that's what you meant. Thanks.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Rob, @lastexitlondon

I think that going into a hospital for treatment would be exactly what you need . You are not letting your kids down. You are going to get help for an illness, if you were having constant heart problems,  you wouldn't think twice about getting into a hospital. When anxiety & depression are major & not just situational  you need to take it as seriously as any other disease.

I've been in psych wards & the feeling of relief once you are settled in &know you will get help without the noise of everything else is incredibly freeing. But you still need to work to be diagnosed & find what works with you .

Tell them about your substance use so they can treat  any negative effects the first couple of days. That's important, they need to see you free of any thing you use to alleviate the intense pain. It sounds like you may be having a nervous breakdown,  or what they call a major depressive disorder now. Either way, when you can no longer cope it's time to reach out. You are teaching your kids that there is no shame in getting help. They can learn that disorders of the brain are no worse than other illnesses. And if it happens to them some day, they can look at your strength as an example.

I so hope you are in the hospital or getting ready to go. You are worthy of happiness and reaching out here shows you  really want to be better and not to harm yourself.

I've been where you are & I know the confusion,  but it saved my life.

I may be going into the hospital to deal with my trauma $ PTSD. I'm not getting better & it's time to think of me & my future. I have no support & I have no ability to cope with my situation.  I can't help others when I'm a mess. I keep feeling the hurt & betrayal & I need to help myself.  It's not weak, its brave. Just need to find the energy to find a place 

I told you I would believe in you until you believed in yourself & that is a promise I will never break. I really hope you have made good decisions,  just do it , please .❤

• Options
    Well said Nancy.
    I wish you well.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    @njnancy for president
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,927
    Beautifully stated Nancy.  I hope both you and Rob are able to get the help you need.  I agree 10000000000000000 %, seeking help whether through therapy, medication or hospitalisation is a sign of strength, not weakness.  It takes everything you’ve got to reach down and pick yourself up enough to seek treatment.  Sending each of you a bit of my strength, I hope it helps that I’m sat here, in another country, wishing you healing.  You deserve it!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Zither strength to you all!
    I'm kicking anxiety's ass, toe to toe, but depression is trying to jump me from behind.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Zither strength to you all!
    I'm kicking anxiety's ass, toe to toe, but depression is trying to jump me from behind.
    Zither strength indeed!🤗💓
  • Options
    So, I have an appointment today with a psychologist
  • Options
    good health to you.

• Options
    Thanks man
  • Options
    Good luck M.  I hope that this is a fruitful first step to good mental health.  You deserve to be happy.
  • Options
    Good luck M.  I hope that this is a fruitful first step to good mental health.  You deserve to be happy.
    Thanks S. 
    I was given some exercises to do for the next 6 weeks until my next session.
    Was told I'm in a major depressive state. 
    Then I was told by my GP afterwards my cholesterol is at dangerous levels and got put on medication. More anxiety.
  • Options
    Thanks S. 
    I was given some exercises to do for the next 6 weeks until my next session.
    Was told I'm in a major depressive state. 
    Then I was told by my GP afterwards my cholesterol is at dangerous levels and got put on medication. More anxiety.
    ok. but the cholesterol is something you can really DO something about.... So its at least partially in your control.

• Options
    Yeah I suppose.
    I've tried excercise and healthy eating for years but it's just gotten worse. It's genetic my GP said and to not blame myself.
    Just anxious about any side effects of the statin. Was told there is a very small chance of certain side effects.
  • Options

Just having a rough day today for some reason and I feel like typing it here just helps , just feeling so overwhelmed with life , work . Feeling sad and anxious for some reason and cannot shake it. just wanted to cry earlier today.

I think it is just I have a lot going on with work and travel for work ( I hate traveling for work ) I guess I feel more safe when I know I can be home at night ( I know that sounds silly )

Our dumb brains , I feel great some days and today I wish I could just crawl into bed and sleep for the next 18 hours.

Sorry to be a downer just thought maybe typing it out would get it off my chest.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Matts3221 said:

Just having a rough day today for some reason and I feel like typing it here just helps , just feeling so overwhelmed with life , work . Feeling sad and anxious for some reason and cannot shake it. just wanted to cry earlier today.

I think it is just I have a lot going on with work and travel for work ( I hate traveling for work ) I guess I feel more safe when I know I can be home at night ( I know that sounds silly )

Our dumb brains , I feel great some days and today I wish I could just crawl into bed and sleep for the next 18 hours.

Sorry to be a downer just thought maybe typing it out would get it off my chest.

A) do what helps you without apology
    B.) it does not sound silly. we all know the feeling. believe me. travel is a BIG trigger for me anxiety-wise.
    C) I wanted to do nothing but sleep 24/7 until I finally got help. 
    D) you are not a downer. post anytime you wish. if it helps, do it. that's what this thread is for. pm me if it's easier to do that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Man i could never work away. Fucked me up. A tearful mess i was. Nothing wrong with needing family and friends near by. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:

A) do what helps you without apology
    B.) it does not sound silly. we all know the feeling. believe me. travel is a BIG trigger for me anxiety-wise.
    C) I wanted to do nothing but sleep 24/7 until I finally got help. 
    D) you are not a downer. post anytime you wish. if it helps, do it. that's what this thread is for. pm me if it's easier to do that. 

Honestly these four points helped so very much. Glad there is a place to talk about stuff like this. I am lucky to have gotten help many years ago and go thru years of therapy and still practice mediation , seeing a therapist , meds ect. Just some days it can feel very overwhelming.

Thank you for the kind words they put a smile on my face.