Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    You know I gotta stay regular

Looks just like what i had this morning but i also had egg on grain bread with ham & cheese ...
    Fried egg?
    Yes 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    The wife is roasting a chicken with carrots and brussel sprouts.  A nice surprise for a damp Wednesday.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My 3 yr old son dips his french fries in Ranch dressing and I usually finish what he doesn't eat.  
    I find myself liking it now. 
    :angry:
    Damn kid turning me into a redneck Ranch hound.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    I say I don't like ranch...but on the rare occasion I have it, I kinda do.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I love the classic Ranch, on Romaine or iceberg.

Do we have any jicama fans here?  I need to get into them again, and just read a recipe using them raw with lime juice and Tajin (the latter of which I've never tried).  Sounded good though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Sliced very think, jicama serves as the "taco" for some seared ahi, a dab of guac, and some pico.
    Phenomenal.  Had them in Phoenix one time about ten years ago and revisit on a binge every so often.
    Use a mandolin to slice the jicima very thinly.
  • Options
    Yum!  That combo wouldn't have even occurred to me - thanks!
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Chicken lollipops and some pasta salad off the smoker. 
  • Options
    This is great for a bunch of reasons. I loved Good Eats. When I was first teaching myself to cook some and he made things interesting and explained relatively easy ways to cook

Since....I thought he sold out and was kinda a douche.
    And he totally redeems himself
    Chugging the one hot sauce is great

https://youtu.be/T1-k7VYwsHg
  • Options
    That was a great one. Been a lackluster bunch of episodes recently but that one was awesome
  • Options
    Prepping for dinner....sweet potatos going in the oven already

• Options
    Prepping for dinner....sweet potatos going in the oven already

Good looking ribeyes.

Also, I like those shudders and window haha.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,568
    edited May 2018
    Me an some colleagues just went to a little BBQ place for lunch. It was really good! The "meat platter" gives you a choice of two meats, fries, and coleslaw for $14.99. I got the ribs and the brisket, and both were excellent. I'm stoked, because I didn't know there was a decent, humble BBQ shack in Metro Vancouver, and now I've found one! The Butcher's Block BBQ at Hastings St. & Gilmore Ave. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ha!
    Those mushroom and onions are gonna be bomb and I love grilled, thick, eggplant.
    Cowboy steak - tough to beat!

Soul, it is a great thing to uncover a gem!
  • Options
    And....what you can't see through that window is the pool cover is still on.  Opening soon, we can't wait.  (Means more gripping and beers!)
  • Options
    What, pray tell, is "gripping"?

85 here today!

I trust we shall get photos of the finished meal.
  • Options
    Shit...grilling!
  • Options
    Well, that changes everything :lol:
  • Options
    Oh my.  The steak was wonderful and everything else was good.  The sweet potato was one if the good ones.  Seems half of the time they are not as sweet...this was excellent.

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Wowowow everything looks delicious!  I could make a meal out of those mushrooms n onions alone yum. How do you prepare the eggplant before grilling? Or is it served a special way? I've never tried grilling eggplant before but that's a great idea. 
  • Options
    Olive oil/salt/pepper
    Should have cut it even thicker but was still good.
  • Options
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    edited May 2018
    Olive oil/salt/pepper
    Should have cut it even thicker but was still good.
    that seems to be the magic trio that works on most vegetables ^ Accentuates the raw, earthy flavors and make them pop.
  • Options
    Do you salt the eggplant and let it sit? Drains a bit and cuts a bit of bitterness. I do but it may just be a wives tale
  • Options
    I did pre-salt it along with the steaks, so unintentionally, yes.  :)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Do you salt the eggplant and let it sit? Drains a bit and cuts a bit of bitterness. I do but it may just be a wives tale
    My grandmother always salted them.
    It definitely makes them more tender, especially when grilled. I usually fry them for parmigiana and I don't notice a difference so I don't bother salting them.
    As for the bitterness, I'm not sure. I remember as a kid, eggplant seemed to be a lot more acidic. I cook it all the time now without salting and it's never acidic. About 8 years ago I was talking with a cook from Italy. His English was crap but he basically said eggplants aren't acidic anymore. I'm not sure what that means exactly but I'm assuming in mass production farming they've been able to eliminate it??? 
  • Options
    Hedo, this is for you.
    Fresh ciabatta 
    Heirloom tomato
    Broccolinni
    Baked turkey
    Cabot seriously sharp cheese
    Hawaiian red salt

Heavenly

• Options
    Beauty!  And those tomatoes are something else.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hedo, this is for you.
    Fresh ciabatta 
    Heirloom tomato
    Broccolinni
    Baked turkey
    Cabot seriously sharp cheese
    Hawaiian red salt

Heavenly

Where'd you get heirloom maters this time of year? And how are they compared to grocery store garbage or homegrown? I'm planting a few hundred onions tomorrow, and next week the broiler/fryers get the ol' chopchop. Should I post pictures?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Please do, gambo.

Are broiler/fryers a different type of tomato?