Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    edited May 2018
    Yes, please do

Got them from Hungry Harvest.  Not sure where they rescued them from.  Organic box of goodies every week.  They were excellent
    I believe all of their items are from local Farms.

https://www.hungryharvest.net/
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    How many chickens become food next week?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:
    Please do, gambo.

Are broiler/fryers a different type of tomato?
    Broiler/fryers are meat chickens I've been raising this spring.  I have six of them ready next week, from 4 up to 6 lbs estimated dressed weight.

I wasn't planning to post anything too graphic, but even the contrast of live birds vs fully dressed could distress some people so I wanted to gauge the room a bit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I've been thinking of starting a CSA program, but I don't know how to ask people to pay for the stuff I've been giving them for free lol
    I love giving food away, and I don't care that much about the money, but I think the structure would be nice, if people have paid up front I can't shirk the work or let the food rot because I'm not finding the time to deliver it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    There's also the fact that I've given bushels of produce away only to find it went to waste because people don't know how to eat anymore.
    If someone gives you a basket of beans, you make a damn pot of soup.  If someone gives you a bucket of tomatoes, make a damn salsa or sauce, and eat some damn tomato sandwiches.  There's no meal that zuchinni doesn't fit right into, none, yet I see people let them go bad because they weren't having spaghetti that week.
    People are so stuck in the grocery store culture they can't escape it. Meals are planned, list is made, list is followed.  Then you get a bunch of food so delicious it cant even be bought at a store and it goes to waste because it wasn't part of the meal plan for the week?  Even when I give warning that it's coming.  Oh, you sliced a tomato for your frozen burger patty and left the rest to rot.  Fuck that. 

But if you are paying for it, it becomes a part of the meal plan and you plan your meal around it, rather than trying to sneak it into a meal.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    Yes, please do

Got them from Hungry Harvest.  Not sure where they rescued them from.  Organic box of goodies every week.  They were excellent
    I believe all of their items are from local Farms.

https://www.hungryharvest.net/
    Very cool!  That's pretty awesome.
  • Options
    I can understand that frustration.  
    I love the surprise box of veggies and fruit.  
  • Options
    I can understand that frustration.  
    I love the surprise box of veggies and fruit.  
    It has to be exciting, going through and putting together ideas for how to prepare and enjoy it all. 
    It's an awesome system that could really improve the food waste and idiocy of our food culture if more people would jump on board.
  • Options
    Agree!
  • Options
    Spent an hour sharpening all of my knives this morning.  I don't do this often enough.  

• Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    edited May 2018
    Been cooking up a storm this week. Lady and I had our first child last Monday so I’m on cooking duties. Lunch today Blinkskis organic chicken sausages w/peps & onions with roasted lemon potatos and fresh grilled bread.
    Post edited by H.Chinaski on
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    550 onion sets planted, phew!
  • Options
    Looks really good.  Congratulations - say bye bye to sleep!
  • Options
    That's a whole lot of onions!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Been cooking up a storm this week. Lady and I had our first child last Monday so I’m on cooking duties. Lunch today Blinkskis organic chicken sausages w/peps & onions with roasted lemon potatos and fresh grilled bread.
    Congratulations. We’re a couple months ahead of you. Very impressed you’re already cooking. We’ve been struggling with it since our daughter was born
  • Options
    Looks really good.  Congratulations - say bye bye to sleep!
    Thanks! He's been sleeping 4-5 hours straight in the overnight. So not too bad so far.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Jerk chicken marinating. 

• Options
    Congratulations. We’re a couple months ahead of you. Very impressed you’re already cooking. We’ve been struggling with it since our daughter was born
    Thanks and congratulations to you and yours also. So far it hasnt been too much of a struggle to get in the kitchen but we'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    6 chickens, slaughtered, plucked and eviscerated...a nice Saturday morning chore!
  • Options
    A nice mother’s day at our place tomorrow for my wife, Mom and mother in law.

egg casserole with sausage, hash browns and a bunch of veggies 

Smoked salmon, capers, onion, etc.

brioche French toast.

bacon, sausage and chicken sausage. Really good stuff 

bagels, rye toast

bloodies, mimosas 
  • Options
    Just ate a dozen wings, with supposed hot sauce.  Was some shitty lip burner.  I hate those sauces.  Not actually very hot as you eat them but something in them does not agree with lips.  

Imagined Charlize on Hot Ones while eating and was "distracted"
  • Options
    Just ate a dozen wings, with supposed hot sauce.  Was some shitty lip burner.  I hate those sauces.  Not actually very hot as you eat them but something in them does not agree with lips.  

Imagined Charlize on Hot Ones while eating and was "distracted"
    I had wings too!  Dry rubbed with cayenne and deep fried, tossed with parm cheese.
    Picked up some Walmart brand jerk wing sauce this morning on a lark and it wasn't half bad.
  • Options
    Yum
  • Options
    Happy mother’s day

• Options
    And the bar
  • Options
    Looks damn good - taste as good as it looks?
  • Options
    Looks damn good - taste as good as it looks?
    It was pretty glorious. The moms were quite happy 
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    A few pieces of sausage & bacon.  A slab of French Toast.  Splash some Vermont Fancy Grade Maple Syrup over it. 

I'm an old school guy...this new grading system for Syrup is silly.  Grew up surrounded by it and know Fancy is the best.
    Now, they would call that 'A - Golden'
    (I see you are a Medium Amber (or, A - Amber) guy.  Also good, but not sure if you want the best US syrup, you need to insist on VT.  ;) )

Stoli, olives, ice, dab of OJ.

Great start to a holiday - well done!

• Options
    I prefer a lower grade maple syrup, Dark Amber at least, but B preferably.
    Top grade maple tastes too much like just plain sugar syrup, you need that maple kick to make it unique from corn syrup or honey.
  • Options
    Any tips on cheesesteak Sammie's?
    I've got very thin shaved beef...should I just throw it in some olive oil and fry it up?  Is that the go-to way?  Scramble as it cooks?