Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    Prosciutto bread from tonight’s Dinner
    And no you don’t use a fork  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks delicious!!

And I'll fork it if I want to! lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    mcgruff10 said:
    Prosciutto bread from tonight’s Dinner
    And no you don’t use a fork  
    This looks awesome
  • Options
    Ate my body weight yesterday. Started with breakfast sandwiches, followed by gravy with all the meats, then ham and Mac/potato salads then desserts. Didn’t get pictures of the last round of food as I was already disgusted with myself 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    I meant to take pics but didn't.  What a darn feast.
    Bet I gained five pounds.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    We made falafel last night. Trader Joe's mix, super easy and delicious. That with a tzatziki we made with cucs, mint, lemon and greek yogurt. 

I haven't had any success with falafel. Have tried it a number of times and can never get the texture correct.  I love it though and eat it regularly.  Will have to look into a mix.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:
    Are fried pickles soggy inside?

I've never had fried green tomatoes but imagine they lend themselves better to that cooking process.

Reese's fried - another nope!
    Yes, half the time they are a soggy, greasy, disgusting mess.
    The other half they are delicious and crunchy good.  The key is to slice whole pickles and not just try to get jarred pickle chips.
    I've personally never had a soggy one. All the places I've ordered them they've been crispy on the outside, normal pickle texture on the inside. I guess I have good pickle luck. But yeah, definitely no pickle chips allowed! I wouldn't order them if I saw them offered in that form. They should be big pickles spears.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I picked up some locally caught sea urchins from my fishmonger. I've eaten them before but this was the first time I bought them. I ate half of them raw and then made spaghetti ricci with the rest. 

• Options
    eddiec said:
    I picked up some locally caught sea urchins from my fishmonger. I've eaten them before but this was the first time I bought them. I ate half of them raw and then made spaghetti ricci with the rest. 

I saw that on FB.
    They looked utterly disgusting lol
    I can imagine that they taste fine once prepared, but they don't look like they are even food.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Mmmm ... gonads....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    Uni is one of my favorite foods.  Great job!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I was just about to say, "cue F Me!"

He knows how I feel about those mofo's =)
  • Options
    Bbq on Saturday afternoon in NorCal with friends.  Gotta love a good meal of smoked ribs and chicken.

• Options
    hedonist said:
    I was just about to say, "cue F Me!"

He knows how I feel about those mofo's =)
    Indeed!
  • Options
    eddiec said:

I too have had uni before but never at home.  My wife and I are trying to work with one new ingredient on a weekly basis that we have not cooked with personally. This may be up on the list

How did this go?  I know they're delicate, easy enough to not mess everything up?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just don't mess with fugu at home -- or ever.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Just don't mess with fugu at home -- or ever.
    yeah, i'm not trying to kill myself on some fish.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
  • Options
    Cut it open and eat the gonads.

I have watched them do it at the restaurant, Cliffy, and it seemed pretty easy.  Just need a pair of gloves and a sharp scissors.  From there it just looked like you scoop the goodness out.
    For my two cents, pay whatever additional is needed for CA Urchins.  So far and away superior it is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    How exactly does one eat a sea urchin?
    Remember the scene in The Temple of Doom, where they lift off the top of the monkey's skull and just dig in with a spoon? It's like that, but more prickly. =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I just found a video on youtube.  No thanks.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Live urchins are hit or miss. Much better to hit a Japanese market where you can get a box of Uni for about $10-20 depending on where they come from. My wife makes Uni pasta all the time. So easy and so good.

• Options
    It's always entertaining to me that modern rich folk eat as "delicacy" what was considered last resort food or even offal for tens of thousands of years.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not even interested in trying them. Looks so soft and slimy.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    So delicious.  I hope that the masses keep on hating, will drive the costs up if it gets popular.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    So delicious.  I hope that the masses keep on hating, will drive the costs up if it gets popular.
    Eh peoplepeople say the same thing aboutabout raw oysters and they are just objectively wrong LOL
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Eh peoplepeople say the same thing aboutabout raw oysters and they are just objectively wrong LOL
    Okay Jacob Two-Two, I think they're right about that too, lol. I will puke if I throw down a raw oyster. For me, texture is everything!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    rgambs said:
    It's always entertaining to me that modern rich folk eat as "delicacy" what was considered last resort food or even offal for tens of thousands of years.
    Lobster.

I'll never understand that first person that figured out oysters were food. God bless that person, but good god, how hungry do you have to be to look at that thing and wonder if there is food inside.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Lobster.

I'll never understand that first person that figured out oysters were food. God bless that person, but good god, how hungry do you have to be to look at that thing and wonder if there is food inside.
    Delicious sea spiders lol

Imagine that first guy or gal in the corner of the cave with a flint knife prying at a sea urchin hahaha
    Everyone else is keeping a wide berth, muttering openly about how Ug-Lag has lost their mind and they are inviting evil spirits into the clan lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Indeed. Right up there with foie gras, pate, & haggis.