Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Roast beef is a big thing on the north shore of Massachusetts. 

Who's hungry!?!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Goddammit!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    :rofl:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited April 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'll eat anything that doesn't trigger my gag reflex.
    But what are your triggers?  I would need some wacky Fear Factor stuff to hit my trigger.
    I guess there are quite a few of them - anything kind of slimy and mooshy or slimy and chunky at the same time, or of whatever texture you'd call raw seafood. So bananas will do it (once chewed a couple times), porridge-like food, and I do struggle with cold seafood in general actually, even cooked, for the most part. I once ate a cold shrimp, you know, like from a shrimp ring, while hungover and at my ex's parents' for dinner, and came pretty damn close to vomiting on their rug. :lol: I'm sure I turned green in front of their eyes. I probably would have handled it if I hadn't been hungover, but even then I need to douse them in cocktail sauce to prevent a shiver from running down my spine.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    hedonist said:
    On the pedestrian but so delicious side of food, remember when you'd crack open a bag of Lay's BBQ chips, and come across the few glorious rogues who snagged an extra dusting of seasoning?

Same with Doritos.  And Cheetos.

Now, it's all evenly distributed.

Bastards!

My best friend when I was a kid once told me about the time she opened a bag of Doritos and found a giant ball of Dorito cheese at the bottom of the bag. I never believed her.  Cut to 10 years later...sometime in the mid 90's I too opened a bag of Doritos and found the golden ticket. A quarter sized ball of pure Dorito cheese at the bottom of the bag. Oh happy day!!!! :)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'll eat anything that doesn't trigger my gag reflex.
    But what are your triggers?  I would need some wacky Fear Factor stuff to hit my trigger.
    I guess there are quite a few of them - anything kind of slimy and mooshy or slimy and chunky at the same time, or of whatever texture you'd call raw seafood. So bananas will do it (once chewed a couple times), porridge-like food, and I do struggle with cold seafood in general actually, even cooked, for the most part. I once ate a cold shrimp, you know, like from a shrimp ring, while hungover and at my ex's parents' for dinner, and came pretty damn close to vomiting on their rug. :lol: I'm sure I turned green in front of their eyes. I probably would have handled it if I hadn't been hungover, but even then I need to douse them in cocktail sauce to prevent a shiver from running down my spine.
    Cold shrimp isn't on my menu either.
    Shrimp isn't my favourite, it's not the best texture.  Kind of explodes in your mouth like giant fish flavored fruit.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    On the pedestrian but so delicious side of food, remember when you'd crack open a bag of Lay's BBQ chips, and come across the few glorious rogues who snagged an extra dusting of seasoning?

Same with Doritos.  And Cheetos.

Now, it's all evenly distributed.

Bastards!

My best friend when I was a kid once told me about the time she opened a bag of Doritos and found a giant ball of Dorito cheese at the bottom of the bag. I never believed her.  Cut to 10 years later...sometime in the mid 90's I too opened a bag of Doritos and found the golden ticket. A quarter sized ball of pure Dorito cheese at the bottom of the bag. Oh happy day!!!! :)
    Ah, for those days!  I loved finding the random cluster of Cracker Jack's peanuts (maybe they still occur?).  I haven't eat that in years but it was a favorite.

As to shrimp - I don't care if they're cold or hot, they can't taste too shrimp-y or fishy and if any de-veining has been missed, forget about it!
  • Options
    Papa John's pizza and birthday cake for Simon's 3rd at noon today.  I shouldn't be excited for Crappa John's, but I am.  I'll douse those severely mediocre pies in their nearly stellar garlic butter sauce and be glad for pizza on a cheat day.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    That garlic butter sauce is good.
  • Options
    Had the new spring seasonal salad at honeygrow for dinner.  It is so frigging good.  Added grapes and avacado.
    I know it is only in Philly, Boston, NYC, and Chicago but it'll be in your city soon.
    Wife had pork stir fry w/noodles that was damn good as well.
  • Options
    As someone who hasn't truly enjoyed a frozen entree since the days of Budget Gourmet from the '80s, and Banquet and Swanson from earlier than that, may I recommend the Eating Well brand?

Air-sealed, well-seasoned, and fresh-tasting (the chicken is actually grilled and cut, vs. the bland, uniform version).
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315

Recreated my wife’s aunt’s chicken salad to put into my lunch salads this week. Her family’s cooking is suspect but this chicken salad is so fucking good. They use use it on crackers and stuff for appetizers at family gatherings. 

Godspeed. 

I add vinegar to my turkey/chicken salad.  Do you?  It gives it a killer flavor.
    Vinegar in addition to mayo, right?

Yes sir.  I should have mentioned that.

All I use is Turkey/Chicken, Mayo, Celery, Black pepper and white distilled vinegar.

The simplicity of the dish and it's soooooo damn tasty.  Now put it on a piece of toasted seeded rye? Hot damn.

Gonna try that next time. Need onion in mine though. Thanks
    Go easy with the vinegar.  For that bowl you made yours in you'd only need 2-3 Tablespoons.
    Made this again tonight and added the vinegar. Thank you, good sir! A welcome addition. The little tangy taste it adds makes all the difference. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,313
    Any body into ceviches? Made scallops & clams ceviche..
    1lb bay scallops 
    1dz top neck clams 
    chucked the clams into a glass bowl must use glass with any ceviches, added the scallops, squeezed the juice of 8 limes covered bowl in plastic wrap refrigerated for at least 12hrs ..
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12819/ceviche/
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    Any body into ceviches? Made scallops & clams ceviche..
    1lb bay scallops 
    1dz top neck clams 
    chucked the clams into a glass bowl must use glass with any ceviches, added the scallops, squeezed the juice of 8 limes covered bowl in plastic wrap refrigerated for at least 12hrs ..
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12819/ceviche/
    I want everything in ceviche form. There is always room for ceviche. My only issue with this is I don't know if I can get down with the clams in my ceviche. Maybe if they were sliced up.
  • Options
    I like ceviche, though agreed above about the iffiness of clams (notaeuphemism), and I like SAYING ceviche.

Makes me feel like this fella:

• Options
    The clams was my own twist on the recipe , i always make just a clam ceviche and belive me after 8hrs of soaking in lime or lemon juice freshly squeezed cooks it almost all the way thru ...Nothing better than cold ceviche & cold beer on a summers day ...
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The clams was my own twist on the recipe , i always make just a clam ceviche and belive me after 8hrs of soaking in lime or lemon juice freshly squeezed cooks it almost all the way thru ...Nothing better than cold ceviche & cold beer on a summers day ...
    Do you add anything for crunch, extra texture, etc.?  I recall chopped cucumbers and minced onions the last time I had it (added afterward).
  • Options
    The 3 year old baked his first cake.  Had to help him with the frosting, obviously. 

• Options
    Nice job by the kiddo!  He looks quite proud of himself, and the frosting on his face is, well...icing on the cake =)
  • Options
    Yeah he was a mess!
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Smoked some ribs today using the 3-2-1 method. They came out pretty good.

• Options
    Smoked some ribs today using the 3-2-1 method. They came out pretty good.

I wrap them in foil from the start because it's much easier that way.  Wrap tightly but with a vent or two, smoke for 4-6 hours depending on size.  Then I let it settle a bit and slather in BBQ and slap on the grill for a nice char.  Fall off the bone every time!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Do you add anything for crunch, extra texture, etc.?  I recall chopped cucumbers and minced onions the last time I had it (added afterward).
    Yes Cilantro , minced onion add it 1hr before serving oh hot sauce to your liking too ..
  • Options
    Good ribs are things of beauty!
  • Options
    You know I gotta stay regular

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Are you spotting?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Are you pooping?
    Regularly. Yes.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Looks just like what i had this morning but i also had egg on grain bread with ham & cheese ...
  • Options

Looks just like what i had this morning but i also had egg on grain bread with ham & cheese ...
    Fried egg?
    chinese-happy.jpg