Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    GlowGirl said:

Eggs Benedict on a fried green tomato and shrimp cake from Magnolias Cafe in Charleston. 
    I have been contemplating ordering Eggs Benedict for breakfast for twenty years. Have never pulled the trigger.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    GlowGirl said:

Eggs Benedict on a fried green tomato and shrimp cake from Magnolias Cafe in Charleston. 
    I have been contemplating ordering Eggs Benedict for breakfast for twenty years. Have never pulled the trigger.
    My family loves when I make them on weekends I’ve gotten really good at poaching eggs! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    That looks delicious ^^^

Horseradish is a bonus and I do put cocktail on some. 

I tease, I tease, I am guilty of the same ;)
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

My family loves when I make them on weekends I’ve gotten really good at poaching eggs! 

And it is not easy!
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    GlowGirl said:

And it is not easy!
    The trick is a dash of white vinegar in the pot of boiling water and don’t take your eye off it, and excuse me but I just had oysters this weekend and cocktail sauce that I make myself is a must lots of horseradish black pepper and hot sauce 
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    GlowGirl said:

And it is not easy!
    The trick is a dash of white vinegar in the pot of boiling water and don’t take your eye off it, and excuse me but I just had oysters this weekend and cocktail sauce that I make myself is a must lots of horseradish black pepper and hot sauce 

The whites still end up in the pan when I do it.  And I was joking a bit about the cocktail sauce. I prefer the vinegar but enjoy! Blue points are as good as any others!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,955
    edited July 2023

Last day in Charleston. Couldn’t leave without having some good bbq. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Ohhh, great choice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    Nice!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,604
    All the food looks incredible, especially that bbq 
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I have a new health issue (boohoo) which results in my having a new lifestyle/diet (not so bad). I've been focusing on Whole Foods Plant Based, and I cooked some pretty good dishes. Yesterday I made a tofu scramble. It included nutritional yeast, tahini, black beans, quinoa, onion power, garlic powder, salt, pepper, roasted red peppers, cumin, tumeric, paprika and it was the closest to a egg scramble in texture. It was yummy :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I have to say that this new lifestyle transition has not been easy. Are any of you on a forever-diet? Have you found a buddy to talk recipes? My twin and I talk recipes, but I wished I had more people to talk recipes. I guess I could come here :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I’m not sure Ms Haiku I’m sure there’s folks here who eat foods like that but I’m not one of them! My wife likes to cook lots of vegetables & beans and once in a while she will use tofu I do like tofu! Your dish sounds like a good one to try out..
  • Options
    I am lucky to be on a sodium rich Japanese diet. Hope to live to 94!

• Options
    And we eat tons of tofu!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I cooked a corn chowder. Dairy is out of my new diet. In place of sour cream or any dairy-type cream I decided to use soaked cashews. I soak cashews and then blended them with green chilies before I added them to the soup. Also, I added lentils. Good soup.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • Options
    I cooked a lentil chili with vegetables. I added red quinoa to increase the protein percentage. The recipe had chili powder and cumin, and I added coriander, tumeric, and ginger. I was going to add 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes, and I should have done that. It didn't have enough heat. Somewhat rich, but it needed more heat.
  • Options
    I cooked a tomato soup last night. In place of cream I used white beans. I never had a strong opinion about bean flavor, but due to my new diet I looked into heirloom beans. These beans are from Zursun. They had a mellow umami flavor which was surprisingly good. I brined them in salted water before I instant pot-d them before I added them to the soup. Anyway, I also added quinoa to increase the protein. The recipe listed red pepper flakes, which is a good idea, and I added garlic powder and Italian seasoning. It also had onion, garlic, carrot. It was awesome tasting; like pasta fazool. If I switched out the quinoa for pasta, I guess that would be it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Last night made a big old salad as main course.  Was great.

• Options
    Last night made a big old salad as main course.  Was great.

Perfecto for a summer night! 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,857
    Inspiring Mr F Me.
  • Options
    The local farm had their first cut of corn and batch of tomatoes.   Mmm, Jersey has some of the best of both.  They also had giant shiitake mushrooms out.
    Just sliced them up and sautéed- them put over another helping of that salad.

Tough to top well prepared shrooms. 

• Options
    The local farm had their first cut of corn and batch of tomatoes.   Mmm, Jersey has some of the best of both.  They also had giant shiitake mushrooms out.

My wife joined a from farm to table program we get a delivery every Weds from out east of me really great vegetables & fruits can’t be beat 
  • Options

My wife joined a from farm to table program we get a delivery every Weds from out east of me really great vegetables & fruits can’t be beat 
    We just picked more blueberries than we can possibly eat, today.  Gonna have to freeze some - agree with you 100!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,955

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

😂😂😂
  • Options

We just picked more blueberries than we can possibly eat, today.  Gonna have to freeze some - agree with you 100!
    Kate’s been making red raspberry jam for two weeks now! We’re also going to soak a big jar of them with vodka to infuse them for mixing drinks! And offcourse I’m making some THC tinctures 
  • Options
    Heck yes!

• Options
    I'm thinking of joining a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). Sounds like that farm to table idea.

I made a creamy potato soup last night. Instead of cream I blended white beans with green chilies and cashews. The recipe didn't have a lot of spices so I added garlic powder, tumeric, ground mustard, nutritional yeast. On first bite the green chilies didn't come through but by the end the heat was there. It was more of a stew as I also added quinoa. I have to up my protein, so I add beans and quinoa to any soup that doesn't have it. Good comfort food.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm thinking of joining a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). Sounds like that farm to table idea.

I made a creamy potato soup last night. Instead of cream I blended white beans with green chilies and cashews. The recipe didn't have a lot of spices so I added garlic powder, tumeric, ground mustard, nutritional yeast. On first bite the green chilies didn't come through but by the end the heat was there. It was more of a stew as I also added quinoa. I have to up my protein, so I add beans and quinoa to any soup that doesn't have it. Good comfort food.
    That sounds like a good soup! Yeah farm to table is really good we get a good variety of vegetables and fruits mostly melons & peaches