The Food Thread

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    Always, one of my favorite breakfast meals!
    It’s so damn good I held back I should of had a Bloody Mary but will for Xmas morning brunch this week! 
    A Bloody Mary and my wife’s breakfast casserole is a Xmas tradition. I’ll be having one as well. Enjoy 🍻 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Huevos Rancheros totally hitting the spot! 
    That’s as good as breakfast can get 

Lamb shank rogan josh
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Holy mother of...! That looks stunning and delicious. (and tender as hell, I bet)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    bbiggs said:
    It’s so damn good I held back I should of had a Bloody Mary but will for Xmas morning brunch this week! 
    A Bloody Mary and my wife’s breakfast casserole is a Xmas tradition. I’ll be having one as well. Enjoy 🍻 

nice merry xmas to you&family ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250

Lamb shank rogan josh
    damn that looks awesome & hearty:)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    bbiggs said:

nice merry xmas to you&family ..
    Thanks bud. Same to you and yours. 
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069

A Merry Christmas Eve from soggy, windy Georgia. After an hour of fighting the wind and smoker temps, I finally devised a suitable (read: makeshift) windbreak so I can get this 10-lb garlic butter-smothered prime rib on the grates. Cooking at 225° and expecting around a 6-hour smoke. I'll rest it, then sear it, then serve it, followed by a slice of pecan pie I made last night. Also smoking a clove of garlic to be put into some mashed potatoes. 

So, what's everybody's plan for their holiday?
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • OK who is cooking what?

I'm on deck to cook so here is my offering.

Tri-tip steak
    Chicken Francase
    roasted Brussels Sprouts
    Cumin steamed green beans
    Mashed taters
    Gravy from the steak drippings.

That is for 8 of us.

Pics, if I remember, later...

Merry Merry.
    OK who is cooking what?

I'm on deck to cook so here is my offering.

Tri-tip steak
    Chicken Francase
    roasted Brussels Sprouts
    Cumin steamed green beans
    Mashed taters
    Gravy from the steak drippings.

That is for 8 of us.

Pics, if I remember, later...

Merry Merry.
    Nice! Looks like an incredible menu. Tri-tip is something I haven't done yet, but it's on the roadmap. 
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927

A Merry Christmas Eve from soggy, windy Georgia. After an hour of fighting the wind and smoker temps, I finally devised a suitable (read: makeshift) windbreak so I can get this 10-lb garlic butter-smothered prime rib on the grates. Cooking at 225° and expecting around a 6-hour smoke. I'll rest it, then sear it, then serve it, followed by a slice of pecan pie I made last night. Also smoking a clove of garlic to be put into some mashed potatoes. 

Looks and sounds amazing man! I have some fish from Hawaii being delivered today for some mac nut crusted opah for tonight.

Turkey tomorrow since we were away for Thanksgiving. 

Can't wait to see the finished product of that prime rib!

Looks and sounds amazing man! I have some fish from Hawaii being delivered today for some mac nut crusted opah for tonight.

That sounds amazing. Definitely would love to see some pics and how it comes out. We'll also be away tomorrow as well so today was the best day. Even given the rain and wind here, today is probably a better day for sitting outside for 6 hours because it's supposed to be 30 degrees cooler tomorrow 
    edited December 2020

That sounds amazing. Definitely would love to see some pics and how it comes out. We'll also be away tomorrow as well so today was the best day. Even given the rain and wind here, today is probably a better day for sitting outside for 6 hours because it's supposed to be 30 degrees cooler tomorrow 
    Yeah, I don't blame you there. I try to avoid smoking when its as cold as they are saying for tomorrow.

Definitely try smoking tri-tip. Its fantastic. Hey @tempo_n_groove are you smoking or roasting the tri-tip? Both will have great results. 

• A Merry Christmas Eve from soggy, windy Georgia. After an hour of fighting the wind and smoker temps, I finally devised a suitable (read: makeshift) windbreak so I can get this 10-lb garlic butter-smothered prime rib on the grates. Cooking at 225° and expecting around a 6-hour smoke. I'll rest it, then sear it, then serve it, followed by a slice of pecan pie I made last night. Also smoking a clove of garlic to be put into some mashed potatoes. 

Sear after the smoke/cook time?

Do tell me 2 things.

1- Smoking a prime rib?  
    2- Searing after the cook?

Interested in the why.  Please share!
    @Porchsitter

• A Merry Christmas Eve from soggy, windy Georgia. After an hour of fighting the wind and smoker temps, I finally devised a suitable (read: makeshift) windbreak so I can get this 10-lb garlic butter-smothered prime rib on the grates. Cooking at 225° and expecting around a 6-hour smoke. I'll rest it, then sear it, then serve it, followed by a slice of pecan pie I made last night. Also smoking a clove of garlic to be put into some mashed potatoes. 

Yeah, I don't blame you there. I try to avoid smoking when its as cold as they are saying for tomorrow.

Definitely try smoking tri-tip. Its fantastic. Hey @tempo_n_groove are you smoking or roasting the tri-tip? Both will have great results. 
    Roasting.  I can't imagine smoking such a beautiful piece of meat.

So my idea of smoking is flavored wood, like mesquite or something like that.  I think it tastes awful.  What wood are you using to smoke?  Am I wrong about smoking?  

We used to make beef jerky in a smoker and that tasted good but there wasn't any flavored wood involved.

So my idea of smoking is flavored wood, like mesquite or something like that.  I think it tastes awful.  What wood are you using to smoke?  Am I wrong about smoking?  

We used to make beef jerky in a smoker and that tasted good but there wasn't any flavored wood involved.
    You defiantly need to try smoking it. I use apple wood, as my wife likes the flavor the smoke adds. They key is to not add too much smoke when doing tri-tip (or Prime Rib). I usually add smoke for the first hour on beef, then let the slow cook do the rest. Worth a try.

You defiantly need to try smoking it. I use apple wood, as my wife likes the flavor the smoke adds. They key is to not add too much smoke when doing tri-tip (or Prime Rib). I usually add smoke for the first hour on beef, then let the slow cook do the rest. Worth a try.
    Adding smoke?  Like liquid smoke?  If so, no thanks.  Not a fan.

No no, in a smoker man. Like, adding wood/wood chips the first hour. 

No no, in a smoker man. Like, adding wood/wood chips the first hour. 
    Ahhh got it.  Just like we did to the beef jerky!!!!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    I think smoked can be amazing.

You guys have some good stuff going.

We are in pandemic holiday mode, still, so since we cooked a full turkey dinner to Tgiving we are going with whatever we each wanted to eat for this holiday.

Tonight ...

Bacon wrapped scallops
    Steamed mussels
    Mac n chee
    Choco chip cookies we made a few days ago

Christmas dinner
    little FMe - snow crab
    mrs FMe - king crab
    Me - a Sammie (some nice prosciutto and provolone imports)
    Cake - making today.

Wierdest holiday meal ever, for us, but also only three of us and wierdest holiday ever....so it fits and we all will eat what we wanted.
    Since I am the cook I pretty much have the day off.  Crabs and a sandwich doesn't really constitute cooking.

The love he receives is the love that is saved

Getting the Christmas gravy going. Going to be a lot of food for a few people 

Also got a turducken for some reason 

Do tell me 2 things.

1- Smoking a prime rib?  

@Porchsitter

I know the prevailing thought with beef is that a reverse sear is more ideal to ensure maximum juiciness.  I dry-brined it with kosher salt ahead of time, hoping that will make sure that it's tender and moist.The sear at the end will ensure a good crust on the surface of the prime rib which is what I'm shooting for.  I'm looking for a medium rare finish.

As for smoking, I've never tried smoked prime rib before and, because smoking has become a hobby for me, I figured it would be worth a shot. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    That looks good.  We made pizzas last night so I made the sauce and it made me think about using what was left and having pasta the day after Christmas.  
    Fucking San Marzanos, man.  So good.

Do tell me 2 things.

1- Smoking a prime rib?  

@Porchsitter

I know the prevailing thought with beef is that a reverse sear is more ideal to ensure maximum juiciness.  I dry-brined it with kosher salt ahead of time, hoping that will make sure that it's tender and moist.The sear at the end will ensure a good crust on the surface of the prime rib which is what I'm shooting for.  I'm looking for a medium rare finish.

As for smoking, I've never tried smoked prime rib before and, because smoking has become a hobby for me, I figured it would be worth a shot. 
    I'm very curious how the reverse sear works out.  Please keep us updated.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    All of your meals looks great. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Usually, I go to some friends out in the suburbs. She always does a huge feast - last year it was filet mignon, shrimp, homemade calzones, cheesecake, etc. all good. This year, for obvious reasons she is not having people over. I am Jewish so I am ok with not having a Christmas dinner this year. Will probably grab some Thai food and watch a movie. 

Do tell me 2 things.

1- Smoking a prime rib?  

@Porchsitter

I'm very curious how the reverse sear works out.  Please keep us updated.
    Will do. Forgot to mention I'm smoking with cherry wood and spritzing with apple juice. Fruit woods are typically milder and don't really impart much of a smoky flavor like other woods. Cherry also gives the meat a reddish tint.

I mostly use pecan (which is milder than hickory and oak) and fruit woods when I smoke. On the occasion, I'll use hickory but typically nothing heavier than that. I've yet to cook with mesquite as it's a wood that, if you aren't careful, can definitely overseason meat and impart a bad flavor. I'm still new to this hobby (have been doing it for three years now), but I love it.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    We always do seafood on the Eve. Traditionally, it's seafood salad, followed by pasta with crab sauce, and then lobster. But this year I'm chillin' solo so just gonna have oysters and sushi. (Long story short- wife is in London taking care of some family matters and she didn't make it back before flights from the UK were banned.)

I'll get up tomorrow and light the BBQ. Gonna do a pork shoulder. 

eddiec said:
    We always do seafood on the Eve. Traditionally, it's seafood salad, followed by pasta with crab sauce, and then lobster. But this year I'm chillin' solo so just gonna have oysters and sushi. (Long story short- wife is in London taking care of some family matters and she didn't make it back before flights from the UK were banned.)

Oh man so she is stuck there or getting a rowboat?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    eddiec said:

Oh man so she is stuck there or getting a rowboat?
    Stuck.
    She was going to fly home for a few days but then head back to finish a few things. Otherwise she could have gone to the embassy and they would have gotten her out of there. 
  • eddiec said:

Italian?  The "feast of seven fish" of Christmas.