The Food Thread

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    eddiec said:
    We always do seafood on the Eve. Traditionally, it's seafood salad, followed by pasta with crab sauce, and then lobster. But this year I'm chillin' solo so just gonna have oysters and sushi. (Long story short- wife is in London taking care of some family matters and she didn't make it back before flights from the UK were banned.)

I'll get up tomorrow and light the BBQ. Gonna do a pork shoulder. 

Italian?  The "feast of seven fish" of Christmas.
    Yes. But being from the south, it was always loads of different shellfish.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    GlowGirl said:
    All of your meals looks great. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Usually, I go to some friends out in the suburbs. She always does a huge feast - last year it was filet mignon, shrimp, homemade calzones, cheesecake, etc. all good. This year, for obvious reasons she is not having people over. I am Jewish so I am ok with not having a Christmas dinner this year. Will probably grab some Thai food and watch a movie. 
    חַג שָׂמֵחַ
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    eddiec said:
    We always do seafood on the Eve. Traditionally, it's seafood salad, followed by pasta with crab sauce, and then lobster. But this year I'm chillin' solo so just gonna have oysters and sushi. (Long story short- wife is in London taking care of some family matters and she didn't make it back before flights from the UK were banned.)

I'll get up tomorrow and light the BBQ. Gonna do a pork shoulder. 

Bummer she is stuck. Hope everything is okay. I usually do a pretty solid, if I say so myself, pot of cioppino. But with not having everyone together this year, just too much.

A Merry Christmas Eve from soggy, windy Georgia. After an hour of fighting the wind and smoker temps, I finally devised a suitable (read: makeshift) windbreak so I can get this 10-lb garlic butter-smothered prime rib on the grates. Cooking at 225° and expecting around a 6-hour smoke. I'll rest it, then sear it, then serve it, followed by a slice of pecan pie I made last night. Also smoking a clove of garlic to be put into some mashed potatoes. 

So, what's everybody's plan for their holiday?
    This looks like it will be awesome. Definitely want to see the finished product 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    All of your meals looks great. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Usually, I go to some friends out in the suburbs. She always does a huge feast - last year it was filet mignon, shrimp, homemade calzones, cheesecake, etc. all good. This year, for obvious reasons she is not having people over. I am Jewish so I am ok with not having a Christmas dinner this year. Will probably grab some Thai food and watch a movie. 
    חַג שָׂמֵחַ
    Thanks? My mom could read that. She is fluent in Hebrew. But I wasn’t really raised with much religion. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    חַג שָׂמֵחַ
    Thanks? My mom could read that. She is fluent in Hebrew. But I wasn’t really raised with much religion. 
    Sounds like you are ready for the Flying Spaghetti Monster in your life.  He loves us all!
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    חַג שָׂמֵחַ
    Happy holiday! :smile:
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    חַג שָׂמֵחַ
    Happy holiday! :smile:
    Thanks!! Happy holidays to you too  :)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    lobster/filet mignon tonight plus appys and dessert.
    tomorrow: eggplant parm, stuffed mushrooms, spiral ham, roasted veggies, tons of appys and every kind of italian dessert.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Eagle has landed. 
    Ahi for some poke tomorrow...Opah for tonight. Finish product pictures later tonight.
    Beautiful. Even the shipping box is cool. :plus_one:
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Eagle has landed. 
    Ahi for some poke tomorrow...Opah for tonight. Finish product pictures later tonight.
    That looks wonderful. I still can taste the ahi I ate when I was honeymooning in Hawaii. Can't wait for the finished pics.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Fuuuu-u-u-u-uck
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    All of the food looks and sounds delicious.  We’re doing stuffed shells tonight and beef wellington tomorrow. Merry Christmas and happy holidays! 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Paella Xmas tradition with avocado salad & tomato & fresh mozzarella salad 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Shrimp, scallops and clams in one dish...oh my!  Looks great. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    bbiggs said:
    Shrimp, scallops and clams in one dish...oh my!  Looks great. 
    With rice ,chorizo,chicken,lobster tails 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    That looks delicious. Enjoy!!!

Wow that looks fantastic!!!
    That looks delicious Jose!
    Not big on plating, but damn this is good!!! 
    ^ Fish looks A+!  All this seafood makes me want some. Enjoy. 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Looks delicious!
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Well, I can say the prime rib came out delicious. However, due to the 2" diameter cylinder of fat that ran the length of the meat (think: meat twinkie) right down the middle, I chose against photographing it. It was not the best looking cut of meat I've ever cooked, but it was really good. 
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    Hells yes!    Jose on point too!!!  Merry Christmas everyone.  
    Instead of hot lobster we made it this afternoon and chilled it for a few hours.  Got to admit that I like it better that way.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Oh yeah!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited December 2020
    for the immediate family Covid Christmas we went with some ribeyes, mashed potatoes, some shrimp scampi, and some roasted carrots/sweet potatoes/brussel sprouts/bacon. Merry Christmas yall.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,899
    Mmmm, everything looks and sounds delicious!  Christmas Eve is usually appies in our house.  We started with a charcuterie board and crudités this afternoon.  Went out for a couple hours to deliver baked goods to friends and neighbours and then drove around looking a xmas light displays.  Came home, had an eggnog and then had the second course of more charcuterie, veg and fresh seafood including: king crab, local Vancouver Island Pacific shrimp, which are tiny, hand-peeled deliciousness. We also had both maple candied and peppered smoked salmon nuggets. Finished the evening with homemade butter tarts and mandarin oranges.

Forgot to take pix of the seafood.  Was too excited for the crab.  Managed to remember as I was getting down to the last bites lol.

Christmas Day is all about the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, carrots and cream corn.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Meats & Cheeses & Shellfish, oh my!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    Damn...good stuff.