Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Prior to seasoning. Beer can for perspective...but its about to disappear haha
    That is one beautiful ribeye!  It looks like it's two ribs thick!
    Ribeyes are probably my favorite steak cut.
    Never had a "tomahawk", probably never will.  I'm not paying the extra premium price plus the extra inedible weight.  They sure do look cool though.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Damn that looks great!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Okay, I've never taken a crack at a long, slow brisket, but some of the pics I've seen here made me want to have a go. I've got an 18" Weber compact grill so it's not ideal. I set up the perimeter with a 'snake' and I'm at about 2 hours in. It looks waaay underdone at this stage. The cut is about a quarter of a full brisket, about 3.5 pounds. I've opened the vents up to raise the heat. My crappy thermometer that I put inside the vent is reading about 250f. Any help is appreciated.

Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Damn that looks great!
    Was pretty good and fed my wife, my son and I. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    That is one beautiful ribeye!  It looks like it's two ribs thick!
    Ribeyes are probably my favorite steak cut.
    Never had a "tomahawk", probably never will.  I'm not paying the extra premium price plus the extra inedible weight.  They sure do look cool though.
    Honestly, your not missing out and are better off with a standard ribeye IMO.
    I wouldn't buy one unless it was a good price, and this one just happened to be. Was damn good though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    eddiec said:
    Okay, I've never taken a crack at a long, slow brisket, but some of the pics I've seen here made me want to have a go. I've got an 18" Weber compact grill so it's not ideal. I set up the perimeter with a 'snake' and I'm at about 2 hours in. It looks waaay underdone at this stage. The cut is about a quarter of a full brisket, about 3.5 pounds. I've opened the vents up to raise the heat. My crappy thermometer that I put inside the vent is reading about 250f. Any help is appreciated.

Haven't cooked this before....would seem a pain in the ass to keep adding wood and/or bricks, but low and slow would seem to get you where you want to go?
    Keep us updated!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,811
    eddiec said:

I think 250 sounds about right though?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    eddiec said:

I think that was looking fine for 2 hours, how's it looking now at 4?
    225-250 has been considered the standard for low and slow for a long time, but a bunch of Q'ers are taking the temp up close to 300 to cook faster, but still getting low and slow results.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    At 5 hours now. Made a rookie mistake and opened the vents and went out to run a few errands. Temps got really high and a bit close to the heat got charred. Rest looks okay though. Just turned it around and I'll try and keep it around 225 for the next few hours.

Edit: Those vents actually do something. I've always just kept them wide open because I'm usually grilling over high heat- steaks mainly. 
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,607
    How’d it come out?
  • Options
    His and hers 

• Options
    I'm happy with the first attempt. Slightly dry, but the rub gave it great flavor. I'm definitely gonna invest in some good grilling thermometers. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Looks great....as do the lobstah rolls!
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 406
    Anyone have a good maitake mushroom recipe? Got them for the first time this weekend and looking for a way to prep them.
  • Options
    I turned 60 today my wife baked fresh empanadas Chilean style can’t be happier goes great with Red vino or Cold cold beer! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Oh that looks amazing.  Happy Birthday Jose!
  • Options
    PJ1973 said:
    Anyone have a good maitake mushroom recipe? Got them for the first time this weekend and looking for a way to prep them.
    I love most any mushrooms sliced up, sauteed with butter and some garlic.  Mostly I will add some soy as well.  This makes a sauce with the shrooms that is amazing over a salad.
  • Options
    Happy birthday dude. Looks awesome
  • Options
    Think I overdid it 

• Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,935
    edited September 2020
    Think I overdid it 

Nope. Looks like you did it just right dude. Lobster rolls and ribeyes = a damn good day!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,997
    eddiec said:
    I'm happy with the first attempt. Slightly dry, but the rub gave it great flavor. I'm definitely gonna invest in some good grilling thermometers. 

That looks great. You got a nice smoke ring around it. Great first attempt!!

• Options
    I turned 60 today my wife baked fresh empanadas Chilean style can’t be happier goes great with Red vino or Cold cold beer! 
    Happy birthday Jose :joy: Enjoy those empanadas. They look amazing.

• Options
    Think I overdid it 

It's meat Monday  =)

• Options
    Think I overdid it 

Nope. Looks like you did it just right dude. Lobster rolls and ribeyes = a damn good day!
    Not complaints. Dessert is a couple gummy bears. Go giants 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Happy birthday Jose :joy: Enjoy those empanadas. They look amazing.

Thanks 🙏 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 406
    PJ1973 said:
    I love most any mushrooms sliced up, sauteed with butter and some garlic.  Mostly I will add some soy as well.  This makes a sauce with the shrooms that is amazing over a salad.
    What I ended up doing. Had a couple of interesting recipes but they required more mushrooms and more marination. This worked out just fine.
  • Options
    Excellent!
  • Options

When life gives you leftover rotisserie chicken, make fajitas. With sautéed spinach, grilled onions, salsa, sour cream, and a nice splash of Gringo Bandito. I think I piled it too high to fold up. Oops. 
  • Options
    Looks good!
  • Options
    Chilly morning....so I prepped a pile of veggies and defrosted a pound of stew meat for my wife to make some beef stew in the crock.

Oh yeah....will be thinking of stew all day