Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited July 2020
    Fucking love lamb. Looks awesome. Bet it was nice to get out. Where are you in New York?
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,835
    Fucking love lamb. Looks awesome. Bet it was nice to get out. Where are you in New York?
    It was really nice getting out. I live in the East Village neighborhood in Manhattan. We still don’t have any indoor dining yet, but they have let restaurants set up on the sidewalks and even a bit into the street where cars would normally park - so it has been nice to be able to eat outside. I also may have had some wine and a shot of Jameson with that meal - so extra nice 😁
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    It was really nice getting out. I live in the East Village neighborhood in Manhattan. We still don’t have any indoor dining yet, but they have let restaurants set up on the sidewalks and even a bit into the street where cars would normally park - so it has been nice to be able to eat outside. I also may have had some wine and a shot of Jameson with that meal - so extra nice 😁
    Nice. Good area. I spent some time in the east village over the last 10 years or so. It’s been a few years though. Yeah same in philly and at the shore. We haven’t been out yet though. All if it sounds delicious 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    GlowGirl said:
    Went to an outside dinner with a friend tonight. It was his bday in March and I finally got to take him out for a bday dinner. Had lamb chops, really good fries, and Israeli salad. Brought home 1/2 for leftovers tomorrow. 

Remoulade with the fries? Chipolte sauce? Mayo with fries is underrated
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    GlowGirl said:
    Went to an outside dinner with a friend tonight. It was his bday in March and I finally got to take him out for a bday dinner. Had lamb chops, really good fries, and Israeli salad. Brought home 1/2 for leftovers tomorrow. 

That looks excellent.  Good lamb chops can rival a good steak in my opinion. So damn tasty. 
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    GlowGirl said:

Remoulade with the fries? Chipolte sauce? Mayo with fries is underrated
    I believe it was a spicy remoulade. It was really good. But you can see I also asked for ketchup 😊
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    GlowGirl said:

That looks excellent.  Good lamb chops can rival a good steak in my opinion. So damn tasty. 
    They were amazing. This was an Israeli restaurant and they do lamb really well. You can also see the remnants of our bowl of hummus. It was all good 😋
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    This one is for @rgambs who recently bought a butchered pig.
    I was looking through some old food photos and found this one from about ten years ago when a group of us ate at Danny Meyer's restuarant, Maialino, in the Grammercy Park Hotel. We ordered the hog.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.pamperedchef.com/party/christinemcgrath0714
    Shameless post: my wife is hosting a pampered chef party.  Just click on the link above to get stuff for all your cooking needs.  If this is not allowed please remove and I do apologize.  Thanks everyone.  
    reported.
    I'm going to bookmark the link and get back to it before the deadline. I was just thinking to myself tonight I need to buy some new paring knives from Pampered Chef!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Tonight we went pork loin, ny strip, watermelon salad and some Mac and cheese.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.pamperedchef.com/party/christinemcgrath0714
    Shameless post: my wife is hosting a pampered chef party.  Just click on the link above to get stuff for all your cooking needs.  If this is not allowed please remove and I do apologize.  Thanks everyone.  
    reported.
    I'm going to bookmark the link and get back to it before the deadline. I was just thinking to myself tonight I need to buy some new paring knives from Pampered Chef!
    Awesome!  Thank you.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    We did pork chop, some great corn and tomatoes.
    Was really strong.
    Could have used some steak with it, though, that is nice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    All looks good. Today I decided to support my local knishery. They are really old school. I got a few potato-spinach knishes. They have a lot of different types but that is my go to. 

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    ^ You have such a diverse food selection in NYC. That’s awesome. Chicago has a fair amount of authentic, old school spots like that. They’re the best.  I’ll take the little hole in the wall any day for the best stuff. As authentic as it gets. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ You have such a diverse food selection in NYC. That’s awesome. Chicago has a fair amount of authentic, old school spots like that. They’re the best.  I’ll take the little hole in the wall any day for the best stuff. As authentic as it gets. 
    Agreed. I love going to the old places. The food is usually so good. The inside of the knish place is like a photo museum of the Lower East Side. Unfortunately, only the front counter area was open for takeout. So I couldn’t take any pictures of the cool old photos they had on the walls in the closed off section. But they are fascinating. I love that kind of urban history. 
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907

Tonight was the Mediterranean pasta with scallops on the side and garlic bread.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    You did those scallops well. Cast iron?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You did those scallops well. Cast iron?
     Yep! 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Wonderful presentation!

I did scallops last week....I like them "under" so never order in a restaurant.  Love cooking them.  Do it "Ramsey Style"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looking good folks!  I'd like to eat at a big-time restaurant like that someday @eddiec and when I do, I'll definitely be getting whatever porcine selection they have lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

@Fifthelement Please share recipe for this photo?
  • Options

Yummm! I want to come eat at your house 😋
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Last night was cabbage and noodles with roasted summer squash. My house smelled like ass. Had to burn a candle to kill it. :lol:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    I was looking through some old food photos and found this one from about ten years ago when a group of us ate at Danny Meyer's restuarant, Maialino, in the Grammercy Park Hotel. We ordered the hog.

I remember going to a bday dinner years ago at a restaurant where we had a whole pig for the party. Before they slice it up, they set it down whole on the table. They happened to put the head of the pig right in front of the one vegetarian in our group and she started crying. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:
    eddiec said:

I remember going to a bday dinner years ago at a restaurant where we had a whole pig for the party. Before they slice it up, they set it down whole on the table. They happened to put the head of the pig right in front of the one vegetarian in our group and she started crying. 
    I’m sorry for laughing at that. 

In the 70s before the Iranian revolution, I went to a wedding in Tehran. They had a live lamb hanging hog-style from a pole. Slaughtered it for the crowd, took it away and cooked it.

When they brought it back, it wasn’t five minutes before the thing was just a carcass.

i wanted to try some, but kids were low on the totem pole that night. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Last night was cabbage and noodles with roasted summer squash. My house smelled like ass. Had to burn a candle to kill it. :lol:
    Did the ass smelling stuff taste good?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    GlowGirl said:
    All looks good. Today I decided to support my local knishery. They are really old school. I got a few potato-spinach knishes. They have a lot of different types but that is my go to. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited July 2020

@Fifthelement Please share recipe for this photo?

GlowGirl said:

Yummm! I want to come eat at your house 😋
    Anytime! 🤗

Post edited by Fifthelement on
  • Options
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:

Cool. I considered getting the merch when I was there. But they are literally around the corner so I can wait til next time. Did you get some knishes as well?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770

Nothing gets cooked in the kitchen again until late September, minimum - some pork chops with onions & apples, sweet potatoes & brocolli, and rice.