Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,940
    Oh my goddess!  I’m drooling so much right now.  Subs, sourdough, surf & turf!  Everything looks so delicious.  Happy birthday to everyone celebrating this week.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:
    Okay, this is overly decadent, but it's a birthday celebration (or desperation). Anyway, BBQ lobster with garlic butter, BBQ oysters with Thai dipping sauce and a Rib-eye to complete the surf and turf. Sorry about the halfway through pic. 

Hell yes.  Your birthday?
    Yeah. My wife and I are two days apart so it's often a week of indulgence.
    28th! Mine too!

Happy birthday, my friend!

The wife has something ready to go this evening with some folks coming over for a happy hour outside...social distancing.
    Happy birthday to you both!
    I hate my birthday but I enjoy other people's birthdays.

Nice before pic, above.
    We are alike in this way. 

Happy birthday to two of our fine chefs! And we have a lot...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,313
    I might have to find some oysters this weekend...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    Oysters.... something I have mixed feelings about.  Some are out of this world good....raw, baked, grilled, fried, in shooters, etc
    Some are just blah.

Love doing the sack of oysters thing fresh off the boat in Louisiana.  We end up tossing some back into the bayou at some point when there are only a few of us at camp.  Only so many one person can eat but we make a pretty savage go at it.

How do you eat 'em, Tempo?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    Dude, I want oysters too.  I will be in Cape May though and it is shockingly difficult to find oysters at a seafood market in Cape May.  Tons of crab, fish and shrimp, but not often oysters.  Might go on a mission this weekend though.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,493
    One of the things I miss most about this whole mess is sitting at a raw bar.
  • Options
    Oysters.... something I have mixed feelings about.  Some are out of this world good....raw, baked, grilled, fried, in shooters, etc
    Some are just blah.

Love doing the sack of oysters thing fresh off the boat in Louisiana.  We end up tossing some back into the bayou at some point when there are only a few of us at camp.  Only so many one person can eat but we make a pretty savage go at it.

So being blessed to live in an area that has a oyster called the Blue Point.  It is one of THE best if not the best oysters in the US.  You eating oysters in Florida or Maine?  Most likely a Blue Point.

Anywho I eat them raw.  I don't mind a dash of hotsauce or even some horseradish but preferred raw.  Had some off of a grill and they were amazing too so if I can have them half shelled and grilled, yes please!
  • Options
    Dude, I want oysters too.  I will be in Cape May though and it is shockingly difficult to find oysters at a seafood market in Cape May.  Tons of crab, fish and shrimp, but not often oysters.  Might go on a mission this weekend though.
    I may be thinking that it's early in the season and my plight for fresh local oysters may be in vain...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Erm, no thanks.  Tastes like a loogey.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Some are just blah.

So being blessed to live in an area that has a oyster called the Blue Point.  It is one of THE best if not the best oysters in the US.  You eating oysters in Florida or Maine?  Most likely a Blue Point.

Anywho I eat them raw.  I don't mind a dash of hotsauce or even some horseradish but preferred raw.  Had some off of a grill and they were amazing too so if I can have them half shelled and grilled, yes please!
    Raw with lemon, horseradish and hot sauce there to toss a bit on occasionally.

Do these grilled.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/official-dragos-charbroiled-oysters-recipe-1135643
  • Options
    I may be thinking that it's early in the season and my plight for fresh local oysters may be in vain...
    Probably. I also just don't think the markets sell a ton to summer tourists, so they don't really stock them.  If people eat them they eat them out, but if they are bringing seafood home, its crabs.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Your loogies must be exceptional to taste like that and any woman that kissed you must have been in aphrodisiac heaven!
  • Options
    Some are just blah.

Do these grilled.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/official-dragos-charbroiled-oysters-recipe-1135643
    To me this ruins the oyster with all the butter and cheese.  It's like putting steaksauce on a good cut of beef.  It will taste good, yes, I just don't need all of that on a good tasting oyster.
  • Options
    Some are just blah.

Do these grilled.

To me this ruins the oyster with all the butter and cheese.  It's like putting steaksauce on a good cut of beef.  It will taste good, yes, I just don't need all of that on a good tasting oyster.
    I hear you and I wouldn't use top notch oysters for this, but it is banging.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Probably. I also just don't think the markets sell a ton to summer tourists, so they don't really stock them.  If people eat them they eat them out, but if they are bringing seafood home, its crabs.
    No more oysters for Cliffy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Your loogies must be exceptional to taste like that and any woman that kissed you must have been in aphrodisiac heaven!
    Slightly salty ✔️
    Something you don't want to bite into ✔️
    Slightly fishy 🚫
    Associated with an urban myth 🚫

Batting 500 lol
  • Options
    dankind said:
    HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I have said it before and I will say it again, being allergic to shellfish isn't such a horrible thing.  Oyster descriptions freak me out.  :sick: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited May 2020
    I had my one and only raw oyster during a fabulous dinner out here with F Me and some other good friends. It wasn’t bad per se, but not that mind-blowing “wow” I’ve gotten from sushi.

Sadly, my raw fish days are over, so glad I tried it when I could. 

(I also had a buddy get Hep A from eating raw oysters in Mexico.)
  • Options
    I made this and it's my GF's favorite dish as of now.
    https://easychickenrecipes.com/chicken-teriyaki-stir-fry/

It doesn't mention rice but if you want it I'd recommend starting the rice before any prep so that the dish and the rice are done around the same time.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    Hedo, down to try most anything.  ;)

Agree that oysters vs sushi is a losing battle for oysters.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:
    AHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    Some are just blah.

Do these grilled.

I hear you and I wouldn't use top notch oysters for this, but it is banging.
    Seriously, Cliffy, you’ve had enough. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Calling on @jlaustin to discuss oysters!!!
  • Options
    I doubt that I'll get to see Big Daddy at the 'Comber this summer. And that makes me very sad. Not as sad as all the sick and dead people, of course, but very sad nonetheless.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    edited May 2020
    Love oysters!!!  Ditched Tempo in 2016 to eat oysters everyday during the 2016 Boston shows. Island Creek Oyster Company is a great place to order fresh oysters shipped to your door! Pricey, but oh so good!! It wouldn't be a Pearl Jam road trip without slurping some oysters! Right, @DerbyDave? Here's some delicious east coast ones, salty, briny, crisp - my favorites.
    Post edited by jlaustin on
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    Love you guys, love this thread!

That's desperation food lol 
  • Options
    jlaustin said:
    Love oysters!!!  Ditched Tempo in 2016 to eat oysters everyday during the 2016 Boston shows. Island Creek Oyster Company is a great place to order fresh oysters shipped to your door! Pricey, but oh so good!! It wouldn't be a Pearl Jam road trip without slurping some oysters! Right, @DerbyDave?
    There's my gal!

True story.  Hey Leeann wanna go hang?

Nope, got a date w some oysters.

lol
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    jlaustin said:
    Love oysters!!!  Ditched Tempo in 2016 to eat oysters everyday during the 2016 Boston shows. Island Creek Oyster Company is a great place to order fresh oysters shipped to your door! Pricey, but oh so good!! It wouldn't be a Pearl Jam road trip without slurping some oysters! Right, @DerbyDave?
    There's my gal!

True story.  Hey Leeann wanna go hang?

Nope, got a date w some oysters.

lol
    Leeann chose wisely.

On more than a few dining out occasions, I've ordered a dozen oysters as both an appetizer and a dessert. My wife and kids will get whatever shitty chocolate thing is on the dessert menu; I'll ask for another dozen Wellfleets. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    In 2018, finally got to travel to Seattle and try some West Coast ones.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1