The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited May 2020
    eddiec said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I picked up my pig, minus a ham, the bacon, and jowls, which are still smoking.

Hell yes! If you don’t mind me asking, what did that run you?
    $460 The price went up $0.50/lb between ordering and processing, so that was a bummer.
    I weighed it out at around 100lbs, and have the weights broken down by cut.  When I pick up the last of the meat this Friday I am going to finish weighing it out, and then compare the cost to the same weights of cuts at the grocery store I buy meat from to get an idea of whether I saved money or not.  I'm guessing I saved a little bit, but not too much.  Cost savings isn't everything, of course, this is fresh pastured pig from my own county.  Contrasting that with feedlot pork from Iowa, I'm glad I pulled the trigger even if it comes out a little more expensive.  Even at $4/lb average, I think I'm saving money...sausage is cheap, but center cut boneless chops and baby back ribs are pricey most of the time.
    Even if it works out more, it's such a better way to buy produce for numerous reasons. 
    Absolutely.  I've tried the fresh sausage and it is very good.  No gristly bits, nice smooth texture.  I smoked one of the butts for Memorial Day, but my meat thermometer died on me and I didn't get it quite as tender as I like it.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    That lasagna looks great. Dark and rich looking meat sauce. And bourbon is always a good choice to kick things off.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I picked up my pig, minus a ham, the bacon, and jowls, which are still smoking.

Hell yes! If you don’t mind me asking, what did that run you?
    $460 The price went up $0.50/lb between ordering and processing, so that was a bummer.
    I weighed it out at around 100lbs, and have the weights broken down by cut.  When I pick up the last of the meat this Friday I am going to finish weighing it out, and then compare the cost to the same weights of cuts at the grocery store I buy meat from to get an idea of whether I saved money or not.  I'm guessing I saved a little bit, but not too much.  Cost savings isn't everything, of course, this is fresh pastured pig from my own county.  Contrasting that with feedlot pork from Iowa, I'm glad I pulled the trigger even if it comes out a little more expensive.  Even at $4/lb average, I think I'm saving money...sausage is cheap, but center cut boneless chops and baby back ribs are pricey most of the time.
    Sounds well worth it to me. Good stuff. Someday when I am not in the city and have more than a standard freezer...
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Burgers, Carolina turkey tips, apple bourbon turkey tips, corn on the cob, grilled asparagus, bowl of cherries, and other assorted fruit (peaches, apples, etc.) and detritus 

Carolina tips, apple bourbon tips, grilled gus

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Detritus?

BBQ looks really good
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Yeah that looks good good good 
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,446
    Made a sourdough Baguette and some home made meatballs. A fresh tomato sauce and some mozzarella and a sprinkle of Parmesan 🤤

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Looks great. The bread looks 2x great.
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    That looks amazing man, well done.
  • Options
    Looks great. The bread looks 2x great.
    Thanks!  
    Haven’t done a sourdough in years. But the lack of yeast in the stores forced me to remake a starter. So happy I did!.
    Working on a sourdough pizza 🤗 they have been ok but not great. These are two different dough recipes. The first  (@67% hydration) was better then the second ( 65% hydration)  Still need some tweaking. 
     Probably should post in the pizza thread lol

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    DavidD said:
    Made a sourdough Baguette and some home made meatballs. A fresh tomato sauce and some mozzarella and a sprinkle of Parmesan 🤤

Meatball Parm looking good!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    That baguette looks excellent! I have done gone down the sourdough rabbit hole as well. Mostly breads, but I've now done some sourdough crackers, sourdough cinnamon muffins, and my latest adventure was sourdough English muffins. 

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    That baguette looks excellent! I have done gone down the sourdough rabbit hole as well. Mostly breads, but I've now done some sourdough crackers, sourdough cinnamon muffins, and my latest adventure was sourdough English muffins. 

Those muffins look fantastic! 
    I so hungry now lol
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    jeffbr said:

How many did you make? Looks like there are some on the pancake grill and some in the back. 

My daughter, lover of all things sourdough, will be right over. :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    :smile:  I had never done English muffins before, but they do actually cook on a griddle or a pan on medium low for about 8 minutes a side. Fork split, throw in the toaster, and good to go. I think I made a couple of dozen, so I'm probably eating more of them than I should.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited May 2020
    I have a half of a Thomas’ every morning. I’d switch to yours in a second!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,908
    DavidD said:

Wow. I have never craved a meatball sub more in my entire life. That looks incredible. I love a crispy baguette.

• Options
    Okay, this is overly decadent, but it's a birthday celebration (or desperation). Anyway, BBQ lobster with garlic butter, BBQ oysters with Thai dipping sauce and a Rib-eye to complete the surf and turf. Sorry about the halfway through pic. 

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Those english muffins look killer.

• Options
    Halfway through pics are the best.
    You know that means taking a picture fled your mind as you jumped in with knife & fork.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Okay, this is overly decadent, but it's a birthday celebration (or desperation). Anyway, BBQ lobster with garlic butter, BBQ oysters with Thai dipping sauce and a Rib-eye to complete the surf and turf. Sorry about the halfway through pic. 

Hell yes.  Your birthday?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    eddiec said:

Decadence is over the top by default ;)

That really looks delectable. Happy birthday to you (?) or whomever is celebrating!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Never apologize for decadence in this thread!! 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eddiec said:

Yeah. My wife and I are two days apart so it's often a week of indulgence.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

Happy Birthday to you both. That looks amazing and decadent. My mouth is watering just looking at it.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

28th! Mine too!

Happy birthday, my friend!

The wife has something ready to go this evening with some folks coming over for a happy hour outside...social distancing.
  • Options
    Halfway through pics are the best.
    You know that means taking a picture fled your mind as you jumped in with knife & fork.
    The wife got a before while I was plucking a few more things off the grill.

• Options
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

28th! Mine too!

The wife has something ready to go this evening with some folks coming over for a happy hour outside...social distancing.
    Happy birthday to you both!
    I hate my birthday but I enjoy other people's birthdays.

Nice before pic, above.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

28th! Mine too!

Happy birthday to you both!
    I hate my birthday but I enjoy other people's birthdays.

Nice before pic, above.
    Thanks.
    Same here. We celebrate together because they're so close, but we don't necessarily like them anymore.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,908
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

Happy Bday to you and your wife. That meal looks like a celebration :joy: