Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    dankind said:
    jlaustin said:
    Love oysters!!!  Ditched Tempo in 2016 to eat oysters everyday during the 2016 Boston shows. Island Creek Oyster Company is a great place to order fresh oysters shipped to your door! Pricey, but oh so good!! It wouldn't be a Pearl Jam road trip without slurping some oysters! Right, @DerbyDave?
    There's my gal!

True story.  Hey Leeann wanna go hang?

Nope, got a date w some oysters.

lol
    Leeann chose wisely.

On more than a few dining out occasions, I've ordered a dozen oysters as both an appetizer and a dessert. My wife and kids will get whatever shitty chocolate thing is on the dessert menu; I'll ask for another dozen Wellfleets. 
    Ha Ha! Living in Michigan, I need to eat oysters on the coasts whenever I can! 
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Some broiled wings tonight....a handful into some ghost pepper sauce

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,007

Hot damn that looks good!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Another instance where I'm a moron.
    My goddamn lips are burning.

It was pretty good, though.  We almost killed them all.
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930

Those look damn good
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Wings....drool.

So I picked up the last of my pig today and I have the final tally.
    139.5lbs of retail cuts (excluding neck bones, hocks, and jowls) for $460 comes out to a price of $3.29/lb.
    Retail value if I had purchased it all at regular price from my usual grocery store would be around $585, so I saved around $125.  Of course, the savings was never the priority, but I'm glad to see it!

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    jlaustin said:
    Love oysters!!!  Ditched Tempo in 2016 to eat oysters everyday during the 2016 Boston shows. Island Creek Oyster Company is a great place to order fresh oysters shipped to your door! Pricey, but oh so good!! It wouldn't be a Pearl Jam road trip without slurping some oysters! Right, @DerbyDave? Here's some delicious east coast ones, salty, briny, crisp - my favorites.
    Island creek has some of the best oysters I have ever had. That was my pregame for all of the fenway shows as well.  Another great experience is having them cooked BBQ style and yes Rockefeller style on Tomales Bay in Cali. Amazing. Get over it tempo :)

I grew up in CT with oysters not being farmed and being in season. Never eat oysters in a month that has an R in it. Amazing that we get them all year round now from all over the country and Canada. I have also been lucky enough to travel all over Japan and experienced the best sushi, wagyu, yakitori, and other delicacies in Japan.  To you sushi lovers, a perfect raw oyster with a bit of mignonette is every bit as good as anything served at the best omakase sushi meal.  It is often included in many omakase services both here in the US and in Japan. If you think good raw oysters are loogies, then you haven't been properly introduced.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Wings....drool.

So I picked up the last of my pig today and I have the final tally.
    139.5lbs of retail cuts (excluding neck bones, hocks, and jowls) for $460 comes out to a price of $3.29/lb.
    Retail value if I had purchased it all at regular price from my usual grocery store would be around $585, so I saved around $125.  Of course, the savings was never the priority, but I'm glad to see it!

Excellent deal!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870

Mesquite marinated skirt steak and stir fried veggies. Presentation is a bit messy, but tastes good. 
  • Options

Wow. Those look great. Ghost peppers super hot 🌶🌶🌶
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Clarinbridge oysters. It's a little village outside Galway and they have a native flat oyster. Most are exported to France but I always try and get my hands on some when they're for sale. (Which isn't often unfortunately.) The consistency is much firmer than a regular oyster- more like half clam/half oyster. And they're pricey, but absolutely delicious. (Not my pic.)Galway Ireland Has the Best Native Oysters on Earth - Bloomberg
  • Options
    All of the oyster pics made me go back and grab a nice shot of some we had before a Fenway show in 18 and amidst a few days of partying with some good people on these boards.
    We then had the lobster, which was better.
    (B&g)
    For all of that, I would prefer a few dozen steamers and a tall boy.

• Options
    All of the oyster pics made me go back and grab a nice shot of some we had before a Fenway show in 18 and amidst a few days of partying with some good people on these boards.
    We then had the lobster, which was better.
    (B&g)
    For all of that, I would prefer a few dozen steamers and a tall boy.

Where was that. My sister and I went to Union Oyster House when we there for Fenway 18. Our parents met in Boston and had a date there in the 1960s so we thought it would be cool to go there. Also had the lobster roll. 

• Options
    We went there, also, the night before.  My wife loves that place but I think it is overrated.

This was b&g oysters
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    All these oyster stories and pics made me go back to my Fenway 18 pics. I got up to use the restroom and came back to this (below). My buddy took it upon himself to dress up every single oyster with toppings. I looked at him and said “dude, never mess with another man’s oysters.” 😂 What a great weekend that was.

• Options
    I wonder if we all were at Union Oyster House on the same night?
  • Options
    Could have been.  Place is large/loud and I was bombed.
    Good times.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Union Oyster House does some things REALLY well, and others that are a total miss. Same with the Grand Central Oyster Bar in NYC. You need to know what to order at both places as the bulk of their business comes from tourists but both also have faithful regulars who come for the good stuff.
  • Options
    Another place my wife is nuts about...she has to eat at Grand Central Oyster very so often.
  • Options
    What am I cooking up tonight, for tomorrow night's dinner?

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'll guess Beef Stew. I'm probably wrong. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    Looks like beef stew to me as well.  All your missing is the red wine.

Lovely friend dropped off some Croatian-style cabbage rolls for dinner last night.  Finishing the last of them off tonight with some pierogi.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    FE,

That looks wonderful! 
  • Options
    Yeah I'm missing thyme also....caught that as I was cooking.
    Simmering now, waiting to add the pots/carrots.

For sure beef stew!
    The recipe calls to separate the stock of storing and I think I'm going to ignore that and put in the fridge tonight with everything together.  

• Options
    Cabbage rolls....had me at cabbage!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Cabbage rolls....had me at cabbage!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

For sure beef stew!
    The recipe calls to separate the stock of storing and I think I'm going to ignore that and put in the fridge tonight with everything together.  

That is always the kind of thing that tastes better after an overnight in the fridge. 
  • Options
    Yeah I hate to deviate from a Mark Bittman recipe but I think I have to.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    deadendp said:

For sure beef stew!

That is always the kind of thing that tastes better after an overnight in the fridge. 
    I agree.  It tastes so much better after the flavours have time to meld together.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Same for chili and marinara.