The Food Thread

Comments

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Sounds and looks like some of you were eating well today.

My wife spoiled me with her beef pot roast last night. I was too busy shoveling it into my mouth to snap a photo.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I had the best bolognese sauce ever last week at this place in AC called Chef Vola’s. Been wanting to make this ever since that meal. 

Hey don't you mean Bolognese gravy?
    Nope, you don't lol
    Gravy is a savory sauce made from thickened meat drippings, not from cooked down tomatoes.
    Damn Itals.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I smoked a pork loin and then we ended up making a pizza too, so we had BBQ pork sammies, Mac and cheese, roasted beets (ehrmagerd so good) and pizza.
    Smorg style.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    And those are the wife’s meatballs, not mine. 
    That looks banging but the one thing I was going to question was the meatballs lol.

My dads sauce is a bologense. The wife’s family is more straight red sauce with meatballs, sausage, braciole, and pork/beef bones

She insists on baking them to be healthier... and they always fall apart in my sauce like clockwork. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I just made broccoli soup, and it was good. I made enough to bring into work for the week.

I also baked chocolate chip cookies that are flat and crispy. I never bake flat and crispy cookies. This was a new recipe. What is amazing is that I followed it. Usually I take creative detours when baking cookies.

The longer I baked these cookies the more they tasted like Graham crackers.

IMHO whenever a sweet recipe calls for a tablespoon vanilla it's time to bring out espresso instead. There is such thing as too much vanilla extract. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    rgambs said:
    I smoked a pork loin and then we ended up making a pizza too, so we had BBQ pork sammies, Mac and cheese, roasted beets (ehrmagerd so good) and pizza.
    Smorg style.
    One day, one day I'm going to roast vegetables, and learn how to use my broiler.

I think I'm missing out on bringing yummy food for lunch to work because I don't roast vegetables. I've roasted garlic, but that's it.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Roasted beets = awesome.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Roasted beets = awesome.
    Beets, the vegetable of last resort (and it’s equally disgusting cousin the rutabaga). I still eat both though.

I also find radishes to be quite nasty. Outside of these three offenders, I’m cool with veggies.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I fucking love radishes and beets, fresh roasted beets rock 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Why do Americans not pronounce the 'a' in Mozzarella and Ricotta?
    Or is it just a Sopranos thing?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Because most Italian Americans are descendants of Southern Italians- mainly Napoli and Sicily- where the ends of words get cut off.
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I just made broccoli soup, and it was good. I made enough to bring into work for the week.

I also baked chocolate chip cookies that are flat and crispy. I never bake flat and crispy cookies. This was a new recipe. What is amazing is that I followed it. Usually I take creative detours when baking cookies.

The longer I baked these cookies the more they tasted like Graham crackers.

IMHO whenever a sweet recipe calls for a tablespoon vanilla it's time to bring out espresso instead. There is such thing as too much vanilla extract. 
    How did you make the broccoli soup? Like a broccoli cheddar type thing?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Outside of NY/NJ most of us do. I know nobody in my area who drops the A at the end (unless they're impersonating Tony Soprano).
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited January 2019
    eddiec said:
    Because most Italian Americans are descendants of Southern Italians- mainly Napoli and Sicily- where the ends of words get cut off.
    That's interesting because many Italian Australians are Calabrese or Sicilian but still pronounce the 'a'.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited January 2019
    I am Italian but relations hail from the North.
    We say 'a' sounds.
    Most people in NY/NJ certainly do not.  They drop most vowels at the end as well. 
    Ms. Haiku said:

Its from a Deborah Madison vegetable soup cookbook. Onion, garlic, jalapeno, ginger cook a little. Add water and small slices of four peeled broccoli stalks. Simmer a bit. Add the broccoli florets and more water and simmer more. Put in the food processor. Cooking took maybe 40 minutes. The real work was in the chopping/peeling.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

Its from a Deborah Madison vegetable soup cookbook. Onion, garlic, jalapeno, ginger cook a little. Add water and small slices of four peeled broccoli stalks. Simmer a bit. Add the broccoli florets and more water and simmer more. Put in the food processor. Cooking took maybe 40 minutes. The real work was in the chopping/peeling.
    Look into getting an immersion blender. Big help with making soups and sauces. I love mine.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Hobbes said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

Look into getting an immersion blender. Big help with making soups and sauces. I love mine.
    This
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

This
    Don’t love it too much. You’ll wind up on TLC. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    eddiec said:
    That's interesting because many Italian Australians are Calabrese or Sicilian but still pronounce the 'a'.
    After marrying into an Italian family  my biggest struggle was pronouncing  capicolla the “correct” way.  Lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited January 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    After marrying into an Italian family  my biggest struggle was pronouncing  capicolla the “correct” way.  Lol
    Like Tony Soprano pronounces it? Gabagool?
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    That’s it!!
    I just got this steamer and I love it so far. 

Steamed asparagus and cutlets!

chinese-happy.jpg
    cutlets look great!  nice and thin just like I love them.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    Michael Scott’s pronunciation is pretty good too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    That's the only exposure I have to that word...obviously I would not have guessed it means capicolla!

I hate bad pronunciations.  Capicolla should not be pronounced 'gabagool' according to the rules of the Italian language.
    Should Thuringia be pronounced 'tulingen'?  I don't know enough about German to be sure, but I doubt it.
    The damn Brits with their R's added and subtracted...

All you kids get off my lawn!
    Cutlets look awesome 
    I also steam my asparagus, although I snap the base and lightly peel them . So good.  (And yeah, that sounds interesting!)
    With my asparagus i go olive oil, salt, pepper and parm, 350 for 15. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    Who?
    I just got this steamer and I love it so far. 

Steamed asparagus and cutlets!

Pork cutlets?