• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    hedonist said:
    Paulie Walnuts calls it gravy =)
    “Gravy’s good tonight” —Uncle Junior
    How’d using gravy in Italy work out for Paulie 
  • Options
    Listen, I am fine with gravy, but to act like it is anything more than a Philly/Jersey saying is ridiculous 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    edited March 2020
    Listen, I am fine with gravy, but to act like it is anything more than a Philly/Jersey saying is ridiculous 
    There is clearly some gray areas with this. But to come out and tell me that what I made is not gravy, when my Italian family has been calling it gravy for decades and decades and decades and decades is what seems most ridiculous. Sorry!

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    There is clearly some gray areas with this. But to come out and tell me that what I made is not gravy, when my Italian family has been calling it gravy for decades and decades and decades and decades is what seems most ridiculous. Sorry!

Lol relax. I make something very similar looking to yours. I don’t call it gravy because my dad didn’t call it gravy, plus we’re “medegons” but have been told it’s bolognese not gravy. Everyone loves it and that’s all that matters. I am sure it came from the fact that all the south philly restaurants have bolognese and gravy as two different menu items. I got no dog in the fight. 

either way, the zucchini noodles are way more offensive!! I kid...sort of.

All that matters to me is how good it is and the company on sundays when we make either families recipe 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

Lol relax. I make something very similar looking to yours. I don’t call it gravy because my dad didn’t call it gravy, plus we’re “medegons” but have been told it’s bolognese not gravy. Everyone loves it and that’s all that matters. I am sure it came from the fact that all the south philly restaurants have bolognese and gravy as two different menu items. I got no dog in the fight. 

either way, the zucchini noodles are way more offensive!! I kid...sort of.

All that matters to me is how good it is and the company on sundays when we make either families recipe 
    Thanks Cliff. 

But....that’s still fucking gravy in that picture. Hahaha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Had this debate with my brother one time when I first moved to the area and called it gravy.  (He lived in NYC around our first generation Italian family members for years)
    He was appalled.  I laughed like crazy and now and 100% certain to call anything that goes on pasta Gravy no matter the context, just to bug the fuck out of him.
    His initial quote was something like "I lived with/among out Italian Immigrant family for years and I never heard one of them call it gravy - that is stupid!"
    Right.
    Because one city / area is the only one with any claim on authentic Italian heritage.
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Damnit people, words have meaning! Without standardized definitions we are naught but apes flinging our feces about wantonly.
    Might as well drive in the curb strip like unwarshed yinzers.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    :lol:

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Gotta side with gambs & Cliffy on this one.  I've never once in my life heard anyone - Italian or not - call it gravy until the three people on this forum. I'll call it delicious, but it's bolognese sauce. ;)
  • Options
    Dyer, stop off the turnpike for a delicious meal, will take you to my local deli where they make the good stuff.  (And, where they call the stuff that goes on the pasta, gravy.)

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Baby gravy?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Baby gravy?

Man chowda?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Baby gravy?

Man chowda?

Take a dump, baby, squirt some gravy
    Pour some sugar on me, honey, make it brown and runny

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Lunch wasn’t bad 
  • Options
    Lunch wasn’t bad 
    Someone nutted all over (and under) that fish
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Dyer, stop off the turnpike for a delicious meal, will take you to my local deli where they make the good stuff.  (And, where they call the stuff that goes on the pasta, gravy.)

One of these days, I'm gonna finally take you (and Scruffy) up on your food tour offers!
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Lunch wasn’t bad 
    Jeeeesus.  Lunch takes on a different vibe now.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    dankind said:
    Lunch wasn’t bad 
    The different vibe might explain all the nut.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

One of these days, I'm gonna finally take you (and Scruffy) up on your food tour offers!

Do so!
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Lunch wasn’t bad 

Hahahaha.  Nice.
    (That does look excellent)
  • Options
    Gotta side with gambs & Cliffy on this one.  I've never once in my life heard anyone - Italian or not - call it gravy until the three people on this forum. I'll call it delicious, but it's bolognese sauce. ;)
    Fine. I will fight all of you. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    For the record, I am not opposed to the word gravy. I call my what the wife's family makes gravy or what I order for sides at villa di roma or dante and luigis.  My debate was more if a bolognese is considered gravy
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Lunch wasn’t bad 

Hahahaha.  Nice.
    (That does look excellent)
    Four Seasons. Jean Georges.  First time at the restaurant, been to the bar a bunch.  Solid.
  • Options
    For the record, I am not opposed to the word gravy. I call my what the wife's family makes gravy or what I order for sides at villa di roma or dante and luigis.  My debate was more if a bolognese is considered gravy
    If I recall correctly, bolognese is "Sunday gravy," whereas a meatless marinara-type sauce is simply "gravy." At least that's how I think the mouth-breathing tracksuits and gold chains in my old Brooklyn neighborhood referred to these things.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    If I recall correctly, bolognese is "Sunday gravy," whereas a meatless marinara-type sauce is simply "gravy." At least that's how I think the mouth-breathing tracksuits and gold chains in my old Brooklyn neighborhood referred to these things.
    Interesting. Makes some sense.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

English translation of 'ragù'

ragù

(raˈɡu)

invariable masculine noun

1. (cookery) meat sauce
      spaghetti al ragù spaghetti with meat sauce

• Options
    dankind said:
    My mom is from Bay Ridge. We've always called it sauce.

• Options
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:

Did your old man hit your hair?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    dankind said:
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:

Did your old man hit your hair?
    No, he was Washington Heights. He knew better than to touch my hair on a Saturday night.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Made paella tonight, having my usual vodka martini to start..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....