Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    Smellyman said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    Is this supposed to be fun? 
    I think discussing religion, debating religion, arguing about religion, and mocking religion is very fun indeed!
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Sure!  As Kurt Vonnegut (one of my gods) once said, "We're here to fart around".
    I've been thinking about this. I believe God wants us to be happy and laugh a lot. We are created with a sense of humor for a reason. If it's not humor at the expense of others, if they get hurt by it, why not.
    I also think it's important to discuss and reflect on religion.  
    We have a sense of humor because we have highly functioning brains.  
    False.  God wills it
    If we believe that god created humor we also have to believe that god created pedophiles....and murderers
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    I think discussing religion, debating religion, arguing about religion, and mocking religion is very fun indeed!
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Sure!  As Kurt Vonnegut (one of my gods) once said, "We're here to fart around".
    I've been thinking about this. I believe God wants us to be happy and laugh a lot. We are created with a sense of humor for a reason. If it's not humor at the expense of others, if they get hurt by it, why not.
    Do you suppose other animals have a sense of humor?  I think so.
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

I'm guessing pre-historic humans had a sense of humor but before that?  I don't know if other animals have a sense of humor and since we evolved from what are referred to as "lower" life forms, I would think it's difficult to say exactly when humor became part of our make up.

In any case, as a species, humor is one of our "saving graces".

I agree that laughing at another persons misfortune or pain or hurting in wrong.  But where to draw the line is difficult.  I find it hard to say it is wrong to make fun of a fool or someone who has wronged me or something like that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

I'm guessing pre-historic humans had a sense of humor but before that?  I don't know if other animals have a sense of humor and since we evolved from what are referred to as "lower" life forms, I would think it's difficult to say exactly when humor became part of our make up.

I agree that laughing at another persons misfortune or pain or hurting in wrong.  But where to draw the line is difficult.  I find it hard to say it is wrong to make fun of a fool or someone who has wronged me or something like that.
    yes but a creationist will believe that we all came from Adam and Eve...therefore there are no pre-historic humans

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

yes but a creationist will believe that we all came from Adam and Eve...therefore there are no pre-historic humans
    People still believe that??
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Smellyman said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    False.  God wills it
    If we believe that god created humor we also have to believe that god created pedophiles....and murderers
    There are both evil and good on this earth.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    Other primates certainly seem to have a sense of humour. Chimps, for example, clearly do. They laugh and have been known to play pranks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

Of course. There are still plenty of Christians who take the Bible literally. It's crazy. :dizzy:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

Of course. There are still plenty of Christians who take the Bible literally. It's crazy. :dizzy:
    It's hard to believe anyone believes these things-  Noah's Ark and only two of each animal regenerating animal populations, parting seas, people surviving being thrown in a blast furnace, humans starting with just two (fully formed and white) people, a divine being etching laws on stone tablets.

And if this is all true, I want to see some of this action.  Would my my day!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

It's hard to believe anyone believes these things-  Noah's Ark and only two of each animal regenerating animal populations, parting seas, people surviving being thrown in a blast furnace, humans starting with just two (fully formed and white) people, a divine being etching laws on stone tablets.

And if this is all true, I want to see some of this action.  Would my my day!
    What's really interesting is that these Bible-believers are apparently totally fine with incest, lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

Check out the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter....crazy shit.  The CM actually has displays showing humans riding dinosaurs.  Cuz that happened.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

Check out the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter....crazy shit.  The CM actually has displays showing humans riding dinosaurs.  Cuz that happened.
    Haha, yup. And check out Young Earth creationism. Those wackadoodles believe that the earth is actually less than 10,000 years old and that god literally created the earth in 7 24 hour days. They tend to fancy themselves as scholars even though no actual science supports this lunacy.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Those participating in this thread are allowed to hand out bully type wedgies? Love me some double standards. Everyone has something they believe in - life after death or not. 

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

Oh yeah, I forget about that place, the one's who denied the existence of Dinosaur Jr!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Those participating in this thread are allowed to hand out bully type wedgies? Love me some double standards. Everyone has something they believe in - life after death or not. 

Where's the double standard? No one here is arguing that anyone needs to respect without question or debate their non-belief in god. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    FoxyRedLa said:

Where's the double standard? No one here is arguing that anyone needs to respect without question or debate their non-belief in god. 
    I will, just out of spite.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

Speaking for myself, FoxyRedLa, nothing I say is meant to be bullying at all and not directed at anyone individually.  No personal attacks.  But I will harshly criticize a belief system I see as controlling, manipulating and/ or harmful.  I see all fundamentalism of every ilk to be all of those things. 

• Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

I've lost count of how many times the word crazy has been used. Doesn't matter right. We're allowed to believe what we want as long as we agree with each other, right?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Speaking for myself, FoxyRedLa, nothing I say is meant to be bullying at all and not directed at anyone individually.  No personal attacks.  But I will harshly criticize a belief system I see as controlling, manipulating and/ or harmful.  I see all fundamentalism of every ilk to be all of those things. 
    I know you aren't pointing fingers.

Just in general I'm tired of reading comments about how great PJ fans are. We're all so open minded and loving and tolerant of differing thoughts/opinions/beliefs/goals. 

Barf. Smoke and mirrors. 

And I encourage anyone to post any opinion they have even if I don't agree with - but when it keeps getting posted and then posted again using different words and then turns ugly because they again have to stay someone is crazy and I'm right and fuck you. Well fuck.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    But I do think it's crazy. I sincerely couldn't care less if you don't like that. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I suppose you're entitled to come and brow-beat me for it with a dose of holier-than-thou-ness, but it's kind of a drag. There is NO way I'm going to allow the PC police to keep me from calling out blatantly ridiculous shit that has a major effect on the world, or from expressing my justified views on the subject.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

I've lost count of how many times the word crazy has been used. Doesn't matter right. We're allowed to believe what we want as long as we agree with each other, right?
    Well, I said wackadoodle, not crazy. But I firmly believe that anyone who is a proponent of Young Earth creationism has to be a bit of a nutter. They have to have a tremendous amount of cognitive dissonance and the ability to suspend disbelief in the face of overwhelming science, fact and reality. I'm not saying all or even most people who believe in god are crazy. I'm not saying all or even most people who belong to various religions are crazy. But I maintain that some of the more devout, fundamentalist types who completely ignore reality and believe in irrational or nonsensical things are a little bit touched.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    None of us are obligated to respect ideas that are stupid. We should respect the right of people to believe what they want, but no way do we have to respect their actual beliefs. If something isn't worthy of respect, then it shouldn't get any.
    This has nothing to do with "being allowed" to do anything. I never understood why people tend to equate "I don't like your opinion or ideas" with "You're not allowed to have an opinion or your own ideas".
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    But I do think it's crazy. I sincerely couldn't care less if you don't like that. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I suppose you're entitled to come and brow-beat me for it with a dose of holier-than-thou-ness, but it's kind of a drag. There is NO way I'm going to allow the PC police to keep me from calling out blatantly ridiculous shit that has a major effect on the world, or from expressing my justified views on the subject.
    I don't remember reading any brow beating posts directed specific to you.

I am not policing this thread. I posted an observation. 

PJ_Soul said:
    None of us are obligated to respect ideas that are stupid. We should respect the right of people to believe what they want, but no way do we have to respect their actual beliefs. If something isn't worthy of respect, then it shouldn't get any.
    This has nothing to do with "being allowed" to do anything. I never understood why people tend to equate "I don't like your opinion or ideas" with "You're not allowed to have an opinion or your own ideas".
    My observation was the lack of respect of what some people in this thread believe. 

I personally do not equate your example above. Why can't some just post an opinion and leave it at that? There has to always be a zinger. 

Even if you are generalizing statements/your opinions why such a hateful approach? Some here believe in energy so why cast out angry vibes? 

There's a difference between posting an opinion/statement and just being flat out nasty.

But you sincerely don't care what a stranger likes so don't be all bent out of shape when get your treatment in return. 
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Well, I said wackadoodle, not crazy. But I firmly believe that anyone who is a proponent of Young Earth creationism has to be a bit of a nutter. They have to have a tremendous amount of cognitive dissonance and the ability to suspend disbelief in the face of overwhelming science, fact and reality. I'm not saying all or even most people who believe in god are crazy. I'm not saying all or even most people who belong to various religions are crazy. But I maintain that some of the more devout, fundamentalist types who completely ignore reality and believe in irrational or nonsensical things are a little bit touched.
    I do get all of your points of different extremes. My opinion is its bogus to bring people down, specifically here.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't remember reading any brow beating posts directed specific to you.

I am not policing this thread. I posted an observation. 

PJ_Soul said:
    My observation was the lack of respect of what some people in this thread believe. 

I personally do not equate your example above. Why can't some just post an opinion and leave it at that? There has to always be a zinger. 

Even if you are generalizing statements/your opinions why such a hateful approach? Some here believe in energy so why cast out angry vibes? 

There's a difference between posting an opinion/statement and just being flat out nasty.

But you sincerely don't care what a stranger likes so don't be all bent out of shape when get your treatment in return. 
    I really don't even know what you're talking about now. I haven't been hateful or angry for even one second in this thread, and I haven't noticed anyone else doing that either. But at any rate, I definitely stand by everything I've said - they are indeed just my opinions. (I personally thought this thread was going just fine. There are many WAY more angry comments/threads in this forum - hell, we've got a full blown racist spouting off around here - so I'm not sure why you've decided to pipe up about it in this one in particular).
  • Options
    Your posts above come off angry. Before those no there weren't angry posts but hateful ones. And why can't an opinion just be that? Why always the negative bs? There is no longer a discussion going on in this thread.

I do not know which thread the full blown racist is in. And I don't feel anyone in this thread is racist. I'm just tired of reading post after post with intentions of bringing people down. There is a difference between fun humor and what I feel when I read some of these posts. But again it was an opinion. 

I can't keep up with all of the different threads. There are so many. I did not randomly pick this thread to say anything. I've been following this thread. 

My only point was I hate reading the bully type posts here on this site. I do understand it's all over the different places here. I see the closed threads. It is not possible for me to keep up with all on each differ section. 

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,290
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    catfight!
  • Options
    Time for a little chill break in this thread.  I suggest some music.  How's about "Peas in the Valley"?

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2017
    ^^^
    I thought about that same thought for a second.  Then I remembered that PJ_Soul has a very good point.  I can't stand people that don't believe facts. (not you directly FoxyRedLa if you're reading this, although you are now posting in AMT).  It is time for the believers to give proof. Not the other way around.  

• Options
    ^^^
    I thought about that same thought for a second.  Then I remembered that PJ_Soul has a very good point.  I can't stand people that don't believe facts. (not you directly FoxyRedLa if you're reading this, although you are now posting in AMT).  It is time for the believers to give proof. Not the other way around.  

Don't hold your breath, can't happen. 

But do take a deep breath and get ready to sing!

...and a one and a two...