Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    I remember when I was in high school (this was probably 1984 or so) we got a new youth minister...it was actually him and his wife working in tandem.  They were super nice.  Our youth group used to meet at their house and play dungeons and dragons on sunday afternoon.  The church people didn't like that at all...

Looking back I think they were ahead of their time...instead of preaching D&D as a devil worshiping tool (this was back when we used to play Led Zeppelin and Ozzy records backwards to hear SATAN) they were embracing it since so many of us were into it.
    I had a youth minister at a Baptist camp who lost his damn mind in front of us, lol. They had this graduate party thing for the oldest campers who couldn't come back the next year, so this youth minister asked them what song they'd like to use for the stupid ceremony. They wanted Bohemian Rhapsody (this was around the time Wayne's World came out of course, lol). Well, the guy really didn't like that idea at all. I guess the "nothing really matters" part is what got to him most. Anyway, he gathered the entire camp into the room where we had daily chapel (daily torture was more like it), and he proceeded to flip the fuck out. He had this huge enviable cassette collection that we all knew about and which made us think he was cool. Not so much. He brought his entire music collection out and started smashing every single fucking tape in front of us, one at a time, while he ranted and raved about the sins of modern music and how he'd been walking down the wrong path, listening to all this devil's music. We had to sit there for 3 hours watching this go on and on and on and on and on. All I could think about was 1) this guy is fucking CRAZY, and 2) Oh NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Someone save the tapes!!!!!!! It really sucked for a music fan to witness. And it was infuriating. He was warping the minds of young people right in front of my eyes, turning them against all the great music in the world. It really pissed me off! And this was a guy who seemed NORMAL before this complete mental breakdown, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I believe and God and have grown up in the church. I went to a Church of Christ school and university. I've been to more Sunday schools, bible classes and chapels than I can count. Like many of you have said, growing up, I think I believed because I was told to or pushed into it. But over time, I've questioned my faith and I still believe in God, but not the same way I previously did.  I also agree with a lot of what you've said. I have some problems with organized religion. Like, why does this denomination believe in this, but this one over here doesn't. It doesn't make much sense, and you're right. It is like they're picking just what is convenient for them. And there are a lot of judgey people in the church. Trust me, Church of Christ as some of the most judgey there are. I think that's what started giving me the most problems with organized religion. I would sit in church and listen to them preach forgiveness and love one another, but then turn around and see them do the exact opposite. It just didn't sit right with me.

I don't go to church that much anymore. I was told growing up you had to go to church every Sunday, but if God is loving and forgiving, I don't think he's going to hold it against you because you didn't go church every single Sunday. I try to live my life by respecting others, helping those who need it and just being a good person. What I've come to believe over the years is that God wants us to try and be the best person we can be, not some mindless drone who just does whatever they're told. Maybe he does want that, I don't know, but I feel like man has perverted the image of God with all the denominations and rules that they've made up. I know the Bible is God's inspired word, but it was still written by man and who is to say man didn't change things?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I remember when I was in high school (this was probably 1984 or so) we got a new youth minister...it was actually him and his wife working in tandem.  They were super nice.  Our youth group used to meet at their house and play dungeons and dragons on sunday afternoon.  The church people didn't like that at all...

Looking back I think they were ahead of their time...instead of preaching D&D as a devil worshiping tool (this was back when we used to play Led Zeppelin and Ozzy records backwards to hear SATAN) they were embracing it since so many of us were into it.
    I had a youth minister at a Baptist camp who lost his damn mind in front of us, lol. They had this graduate party thing for the oldest campers who couldn't come back the next year, so this youth minister asked them what song they'd like to use for the stupid ceremony. They wanted Bohemian Rhapsody (this was around the time Wayne's World came out of course, lol). Well, the guy really didn't like that idea at all. I guess the "nothing really matters" part is what got to him most. Anyway, he gathered the entire camp into the room where we had daily chapel (daily torture was more like it), and he proceeded to flip the fuck out. He had this huge enviable cassette collection that we all knew about and which made us think he was cool. Not so much. He brought his entire music collection out and started smashing every single fucking tape in front of us, one at a time, while he ranted and raved about the sins of modern music and how he'd been walking down the wrong path, listening to all this devil's music. We had to sit there for 3 hours watching this go on and on and on and on and on. All I could think about was 1) this guy is fucking CRAZY, and 2) Oh NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Someone save the tapes!!!!!!! It really sucked for a music fan to witness. And it was infuriating. He was warping the minds of young people right in front of my eyes, turning them against all the great music in the world. It really pissed me off! And this was a guy who seemed NORMAL before this complete mental breakdown, lol.
    I've never understood those types of people. I've luckily never encountered anything like that. That would probably turn me off of religion too lol
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    i always find it so ridiculous how religious groups think they need these grand castles to worship their god in, where the money could be obviously spent on things a little less, i don't know, modest?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    i always find it so ridiculous how religious groups think they need these grand castles to worship their god in, where the money could be obviously spent on things a little less, i don't know, modest?
    " To the Greater Glory of God", they say.

To me, the greater glory would be to use that money to feed the hungry and house the homeless and clothe those who can't afford warm clothing. Seems to me that that is what the putative Christ would have preferred, so those who call themselves Christians might want to as well.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My dad worshiped - well, gave thanks to and acknowledged - his (own) god in synagogues, at home with us, in music, in nature.  For what it's worth, he was a humble and dry-humored man who lived quite the modest yet generous life.  Not gonna rehash his decency as a man, even religion aside, but that did play a huge part in his life, history and outlook - and as such, played a huge part in mine.
  • Options

To me, the greater glory would be to use that money to feed the hungry and house the homeless and clothe those who can't afford warm clothing. Seems to me that that is what the putative Christ would have preferred, so those who call themselves Christians might want to as well.
    Most every church I know does do this to some extent. The church I went to when I was growing up would go downtown with a bus and pick up homeless people and bring them back to the church during the winter. We'd make them dinner and breakfast and set up cots for them to sleep in and we'd have a clothing drive beforehand to give them coats and new clothes. We'd also have fundraisers for families in need and participate in the meals on wheels program.

I know not every church does these types of things, and you're right, they should. One of the biggest things about being a Christian is giving back and looking out for your neighbor. Churches and it's members that don't help out, are pretty much just lip service "Christians"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    ponytd said:
    I believe and God and have grown up in the church. I went to a Church of Christ school and university. I've been to more Sunday schools, bible classes and chapels than I can count. Like many of you have said, growing up, I think I believed because I was told to or pushed into it. But over time, I've questioned my faith and I still believe in God, but not the same way I previously did.  I also agree with a lot of what you've said. I have some problems with organized religion. Like, why does this denomination believe in this, but this one over here doesn't. It doesn't make much sense, and you're right. It is like they're picking just what is convenient for them. And there are a lot of judgey people in the church. Trust me, Church of Christ as some of the most judgey there are. I think that's what started giving me the most problems with organized religion. I would sit in church and listen to them preach forgiveness and love one another, but then turn around and see them do the exact opposite. It just didn't sit right with me.

I don't go to church that much anymore. I was told growing up you had to go to church every Sunday, but if God is loving and forgiving, I don't think he's going to hold it against you because you didn't go church every single Sunday. I try to live my life by respecting others, helping those who need it and just being a good person. What I've come to believe over the years is that God wants us to try and be the best person we can be, not some mindless drone who just does whatever they're told. Maybe he does want that, I don't know, but I feel like man has perverted the image of God with all the denominations and rules that they've made up. I know the Bible is God's inspired word, but it was still written by man and who is to say man didn't change things?
    I don't disagree.  I used to say the same thing....why is it necessary to dress up and go to church for an hour in order to guarantee a spot in heaven?  

There is some interesting info on how the bible was translated too.  I read "Losing Faith in Faith" by Dan Barker (former evangelist) and it opened my  mind to how we have changed the bible over time.  He went on a quest to determine if what he believed was true and ended up leaving the church and forming the Freedom from Religion Foundation.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    ponytd said:

I don't disagree.  I used to say the same thing....why is it necessary to dress up and go to church for an hour in order to guarantee a spot in heaven?  

There is some interesting info on how the bible was translated too.  I read "Losing Faith in Faith" by Dan Barker (former evangelist) and it opened my  mind to how we have changed the bible over time.  He went on a quest to determine if what he believed was true and ended up leaving the church and forming the Freedom from Religion Foundation.
    Interesting, I may have to read that book to check it out.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    edited June 2017
    I think there are things that specifically tell Christians and Jews that they really don't have to go to Church, and maybe even shouldn't go:

Matthew 6:5 

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward"

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man"

Matthew 6:6 

"But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

...... On the other hand, there are other passages that say Christians and Jews should gather together so they can encourage each other and that they shouldn't isolate themselves because it is essentially selfish and self-serving. As is standard for the Bible, the issue is wrought with contradiction, which renders the whole thing moot. ;)

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think there are things that specifically tell Christians that they really don't have to go to Church, and maybe even shouldn't go:

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward"

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man"

"But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

...... On the other hand, there are other passages that say Christians should gather together so they can encourage each other and that they shouldn't isolate themselves because it is essentially selfish and self-serving. As is standard for the Bible, the issue is wrought with contradiction, which renders the whole thing moot. ;)

like a cow's opinion!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    edited June 2017
    ponytd said:
    ponytd said:

https://www.amazon.com/Losing-Faith-Preacher-Atheist/dp/187773313X

It's a great book.  I don't think it will make you a non believer necessarily....it basically just describes his journey which, at the time I read it about 20 years ago, matched my journey.

Edit: To expand on my journey....I went to college determined to take some classes to help me decide whether there was a god or not (Astronomy, Philosophy, Anthropology, etc.) since I had so many doubts.  I read this book a few years after graduating from college.  It was, I believe, the first account that I had ever read from someone who was actually a minister/evangelist.  This guy (Barker) knows the bible front to back.  I think he still has the same command of scripture today that he did 30 years ago.  His knowledge of the bible actually guided his eventual disbelief because he saw all of the contradictions and errors in the text.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think there are things that specifically tell Christians that they really don't have to go to Church, and maybe even shouldn't go:

...... On the other hand, there are other passages that say Christians should gather together so they can encourage each other and that they shouldn't isolate themselves because it is essentially selfish and self-serving. As is standard for the Bible, the issue is wrought with contradiction, which renders the whole thing moot. ;)

like a cow's opinion!
    You know, a cow's opinion. Like, it doesn't matter. It's moooooo
  • Options
    ponytd said:
    ponytd said:

https://www.amazon.com/Losing-Faith-Preacher-Atheist/dp/187773313X

It's a great book.  I don't think it will make you a non believer necessarily....it basically just describes his journey which, at the time I read it about 20 years ago, matched my journey.

Edit: To expand on my journey....I went to college determined to take some classes to help me decide whether there was a god or not (Astronomy, Philosophy, Anthropology, etc.) since I had so many doubts.  I read this book a few years after graduating from college.  It was, I believe, the first account that I had ever read from someone who was actually a minister/evangelist.  This guy (Barker) knows the bible front to back.  I think he still has the same command of scripture today that he did 30 years ago.  His knowledge of the bible actually guided his eventual disbelief because he saw all of the contradictions and errors in the text.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've noticed lots of contradictions in then Bible. But it was written by many different authors and thus lots of different viewpoints and contradictions.
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    ponytd said:

Most every church I know does do this to some extent. The church I went to when I was growing up would go downtown with a bus and pick up homeless people and bring them back to the church during the winter. We'd make them dinner and breakfast and set up cots for them to sleep in and we'd have a clothing drive beforehand to give them coats and new clothes. We'd also have fundraisers for families in need and participate in the meals on wheels program.

I know not every church does these types of things, and you're right, they should. One of the biggest things about being a Christian is giving back and looking out for your neighbor. Churches and it's members that don't help out, are pretty much just lip service "Christians"
    Despite what you believe, you cannot deny the good that most Christian communities do for the less fortunate! Sure there are some that could do more but overall, I've seen first hand the good that a lot of these churches do in my city! I'm on board with the poster above my comment!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    THE LOOK said:
    ponytd said:

Despite what you believe, you cannot deny the good that most Christian communities do for the less fortunate! Sure there are some that could do more but overall, I've seen first hand the good that a lot of these churches do in my city! I'm on board with the poster above my comment!
    It's always subordinated to the continuation and promotion of the church.
    Long story short:
    Old friend, now a pastor for UCC.  Very liberal and accepting, supposedly non dogmatic.  All about community and good works.  On the surface, everything that non-religious people would like to see.  Beneath the surface...
    Teaches and learns only from the Bible, despite admitting it's atrocious abominations.  Fights to preserve the church first, builds community second.
    Gets new post in another town, abandons all his "flock" and cuts ties to them entirely so that they will accept their new pastor as their new direct line to God.  Church first, community second in the most liberal, community oriented church in America.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    THE LOOK said:
    ponytd said:

I wouldn't say most because I don't know about most.  Some, yes.  I'm thinking of a local church, Green Valley, that goes out of it's way to help people.  And the one my wife's aunt took her to in Texas a while back.  Very conservative town, very conservative Baptist church in Texas and she told me they are doing huge things  to help immigrants who have been targeted by racists.  Who'd of thought, right?

But for every good, community minded church there's one that is in it for the money.  Many of the mega-churches, etc. 

Like anything, judge each on it's own merits.

My church does wonders for it's community.  It gives us grace, beauty, eases the mind of troubles and gives us peace.  Here's a photo of it:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    And you have bible thumping Republicans who could give two sh!ts about the poor or sick.

Yet that bible thumping effectively fools their constituency who in fact are the ones getting screwed.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    edited June 2017
    Smellyman said:
    And you have bible thumping Republicans who could give two sh!ts about the poor or sick.

Yet that bible thumping effectively fools their constituency who in fact are the ones getting screwed.

Whew.... At least we know now where all the Democrats stand. Why do they all swear on the Bible when sworn in? And once again politics invades a religion conversation. Right on Smellyman, your scent is welcomed.
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Attaway77 said:
    Smellyman said:

Whew.... At least we know now where all the Democrats stand. Why do they all swear on the Bible when sworn in? And once again politics invades a religion conversation. Right on Smellyman, your scent is welcomed.
    Nearly all Republicans use it for their platform and to get elected.  Most Democrats do not and do not use it to govern.

Democrats care about social services the poor and the sick.

These are truths, feel free to debate them.

And yes politics and religion are mixed when one side wants to govern through it.  Trump even fooled his base

Even though there is that pesky separation of church and state.

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Attaway77 said:
    Smellyman said:

Democrats care about social services the poor and the sick.

These are truths, feel free to debate them.

Can't argue with that, they care a lot. Let's get back to the concept of God.....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I don't believe in God as a being, although I did for years.  I was raised pretty Catholic, Methodist when I went to my dads in the south, bible study and church attendance as an adolescent.  I did not do either after becoming a teenager and then adult.  I went through a stage in my early 20's where I only believed in what could actually be proved to me in the physical or scientific sense.

Now, 20 years later I believe in the Force of Nature, a common thread of energy that runs through everything and reacts to actions Of the Earth.  I believe the force of nature is the same now as it has been for thousands of years, it was there when the earth started, or before that the universe, or whatever and maybe we cannot define it or know from whence it came, I have decided I don't need to know.  I live with it, part of it is in me and all around me and I try to connect to it, other humans, animals, and follow it's lead instead of trying to control or define it.

I am trying to develop other senses available to me.

I don't know, it's a very complex subject, but thats kind of my two cents on my actual belief in a God.

cheers!

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    amethgr8 said:
    I don't believe in God as a being, although I did for years.  I was raised pretty Catholic, Methodist when I went to my dads in the south, bible study and church attendance as an adolescent.  I did not do either after becoming a teenager and then adult.  I went through a stage in my early 20's where I only believed in what could actually be proved to me in the physical or scientific sense.

Now, 20 years later I believe in the Force of Nature, a common thread of energy that runs through everything and reacts to actions Of the Earth.  I believe the force of nature is the same now as it has been for thousands of years, it was there when the earth started, or before that the universe, or whatever and maybe we cannot define it or know from whence it came, I have decided I don't need to know.  I live with it, part of it is in me and all around me and I try to connect to it, other humans, animals, and follow it's lead instead of trying to control or define it.

I am trying to develop other senses available to me.

I don't know, it's a very complex subject, but thats kind of my two cents on my actual belief in a God.

cheers!

amy
    I love this - the bolded part.  I so relate to it and thank you for saying what I at times having difficulty doing myself.

Cheers back!
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    brianlux said:
    THE LOOK said:
    ponytd said:

I wouldn't say most because I don't know about most.  Some, yes.  I'm thinking of a local church, Green Valley, that goes out of it's way to help people.  And the one my wife's aunt took her to in Texas a while back.  Very conservative town, very conservative Baptist church in Texas and she told me they are doing huge things  to help immigrants who have been targeted by racists.  Who'd of thought, right?

But for every good, community minded church there's one that is in it for the money.  Many of the mega-churches, etc. 

My church does wonders for it's community.  It gives us grace, beauty, eases the mind of troubles and gives us peace.  Here's a photo of it:

I like your church too! Beautiful!!!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    THE LOOK said:
    brianlux said:
    THE LOOK said:
    ponytd said:

I like your church too! Beautiful!!!

Looks kinda like mine. :)
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options

Just so we're clear on this, It's only those who call themselves Christians right? Anybody else who doesn't consider themselves any religion is free to spend their money or contribute to what they choose/decide/want/etc.. I just want to make sure. Been around this life for awhile and I've seen plenty of non Christians/believers/atheist/etc throw their money away for pleasure when it could have benefited the above mentioned. 

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    edited June 2017
    Attaway77 said:

Just so we're clear on this, It's only those who call themselves Christians right? Anybody else who doesn't consider themselves any religion is free to spend their money or contribute to what they choose/decide/want/etc.. I just want to make sure. Been around this life for awhile and I've seen plenty of non Christians/believers/atheist/etc throw their money away for pleasure when it could have benefited the above mentioned. 
    Christian supposedly follow the gospel of Christ, and if you consider yourself a Christian (I mean that broadly, not you in particular, Attaway), then it stands to reason that one should pay special attention to multiple times Christ asked his followers to do what I mentioned above. 

Of course, I would also ask and expect non-Christians to do this, too, as decent human beings. It's just that it's not part of doctrine. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Attaway77 said:

Christian supposedly follow the gospel of Christ, and if you consider yourself a Christian (I mean that broadly, not you in particular, Attaway), then it stands to reason that one should pay special attention to multiple times Christ asked his followers to do what I mentioned above. 

Of course, I would also ask and expect non-Christians to do this, too, as decent human beings. It's just that it's not part of doctrine. 
    All good my friend... This kind of discussion is good. 

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    Attaway77 said:

All good my friend... This kind of discussion is good. 
    Please stick to concept of god
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    My latest theory goes like this:

We know Jesus was a smoker:

Johnny say, "I'll go along with that:

And as we all know, God is Dog spelled backwards.
    Now look at Smellyman's avatar. 
    Ah ha! 
    Smoking Jesus-> Son of God -> Smoking Dog ->
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.