The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    brianlux said:
    My latest theory goes like this:

We know Jesus was a smoker:

Johnny say, "I'll go along with that:

And as we all know, God is Dog spelled backwards.
    Now look at Smellyman's avatar. 
    Ah ha! 
    Smoking Jesus-> Son of God -> Smoking Dog ->
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    The Smelly Code has been cracked!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,753
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    The Smelly Code has been cracked!
    Ah ha!  I knew it!  Case solved!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    Well sir, you have a good trip!
    Mocking the Lord.  
    I'd sure hate to be in your shoes.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    Mocking the Lord.  
    I forgive him
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    Mocking the Lord.  
    I forgive him
    Thank God!  I mean, Thank you, Smellyman!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    Mocking the Lord.  
    Mocking?  Not at all.  Jesus, God, if they exist/ have existed, they would surely have enjoy having a little fun.  :joy:

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    I remember sitting in church as a teenager and wondering things like...

Picture a married couple.  He thinks she is happy and she thinks he is happy.  But they aren't happy.  He's got a babe on the side and she's banging the neighbor guy.  Husband gets killed in an auto accident.  Wife remarries the neighbor guy and a month later both are killed in an auto accident.

Who does husband #1 hook up with in heaven?  Is wife hanging out with husband #1 or #2?  Are there jealousy triangles in heaven?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Could it be like this that maybe God exists within everything that's living. 
    I believe that God is like filled with pure love. There must be some kind of reason why God doesn't involve with the human activities here on earth. If God would navigate us then it would be like we aren't really living our own life's making our own decisions would it. 
    I don't think we humans have the capacity to really understand God we don't understand how mighty he actually is. I think we can speak to him in our minds, he probably knows every thought you are thinking, your struggles and feelings. We shouldn't be afraid of God.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Annafalk said:
    I believe that God is like filled with pure love. There must be some kind of reason why God doesn't involve with the human activities here on earth. If God would navigate us then it would be like we aren't really living our own life's making our own decisions would it. 
    I don't think we humans have the capacity to really understand God we don't understand how mighty he actually is. I think we can speak to him in our minds, he probably knows every thought you are thinking, your struggles and feelings. We shouldn't be afraid of God.
    I would have a hard time accepting this.  If god is pure love than why do people suffer?  Why is there child abuse?  

How do you reconcile a being that you consider almighty yet he allows child abuse?  Is it because he wants the abused child to "live its own life"?  Does that make sense?

To me you come down to one of three conclusions.  One is that god could help the abused child and chooses not to; Two, that he cannot help the abused child.  Or three....there is no god.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Annafalk said:
    I would have a hard time accepting this.  If god is pure love than why do people suffer?  Why is there child abuse?  

How do you reconcile a being that you consider almighty yet he allows child abuse?  Is it because he wants the abused child to "live its own life"?  Does that make sense?

To me you come down to one of three conclusions.  One is that god could help the abused child and chooses not to; Two, that he cannot help the abused child.  Or three....there is no god.
    I don't understand the suffering and I hate that there is suffering. There must be some reason why God doesn't interfere but I guess we'll never know. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,847
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 

and the name!!!! right in our face the whole time. god would be really old right right? and old people smell right?

ipso facto ergo , there but for the grace of smellyman  go I.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Do you think Jesus ever did the "pull my finger" trick on any of the disciples?  

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    If you look at God as an actual being with some type of control over the world, then why is there any type of abuse at all?  To me, if it's a given that God is an actual being, then his control would be similar to that of having offspring.  He creates it, but ultimately does not have control of it.  Does some offspring have a better chance than others, sure.  Do some parish before there is any chance at all?  yes, we are talking millions of offsprings.  As personal as religion and God is to some, it's mass production.

If you look at how a forest is made, survives, thrives, etc., it's all about recycling.  I have a hard time believing in heaven and hell because when you look at systems that don't involve humans, remains of fallen animal/mammals are used up by their environment and usually provide a resource for the next generation.

Knowing that we are animals and just because we have imagination and reasoning, it's hard for me to believe we are much different and our bodies, mind and souls will provide some resource for those that follow, or maybe we will be recycled in some way to follow another path. 

I don't know for sure, but I know I don't believe in a being in an outer atmosphere, who is judge and jury and where my soul will reside for eternity.

amy

Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2017
    Smellyman said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    Mocking the Lord.  
    I forgive him
    I actually have a sense of humor too.  I gave a harsh knee jerk response to this.
    Just to see what would follow. OMG :o
    That portrait above looks like your average Joe waiting to get into the concert venue.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Ah ha! 
    Smellyman... God?
    GOD! 
    Mocking the Lord.  
    I forgive him
    I actually have a sense of humor too.  I gave a harsh knee jerk response to this.
    Just to see what would follow. OMG :o
    That portrait above looks like your average Joe waiting to get into the concert venue.
    LOL, I can picture Jesus rocking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMX9gztzQw

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    The average Joe has wounds in the center of their hands?

If this were a perfect world. Think perfect. Would anyone question why it's His right to rule? No one would question anything? No one? The world would just be perfect? I think He already tried that. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    FoxyRedLa said:
    The average Joe has wounds in the center of their hands?

If this were a perfect world. Think perfect. Would anyone question why it's His right to rule? No one would question anything? No one? The world would just be perfect? I think He already tried that. 
    How do you define a "perfect world"?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I don't know how to define a perfect world. I would assume some seek a world of no pain, no suffering, no natural disasters. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    edited June 2017
    I often wonder, is God the scapegoat for most? As I've mentioned before, I believe in God. I just have to ask though, for those who don't believe, when do you all stop judging and blaming this non existent God for all the horrific things in life he/she may have or never have let happen and start to put the blame on ourselves (myself included)? If there's no God, then it's humans we need to ask why weren't you there, why did you let this happen? This place we live in together we destroy together, or is there no other scapegoat, figment of peoples imaginations to blame and laugh at?
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    I think there are people that use the concept of God to do a lot of good and others that use it to do harm.

"...a scapegoat for most?"  I hope you are using "most" loosely .  I don't necessarily believe that "most" people that don't believe in a God blame him for all the terrible stuff.  I don't really blame anyone for anything in my life.  It's my life, better than some, maybe not as good as others but it's mine.  I play the hand that  was dealt to me and move on, learn from each day, grow and try to be/do better tomorrow.

I believe if there is a God it is more like "Could it be like this that maybe God exists within everything that's living", some people are taught to love, some to hate, some choose to be a certain way.  Whether or not you choose to live your life for the Greater Good of God or not, it is still ones own free will that is living that way.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

• Options
    edited June 2017

Attaway77 said:
    amethgr8 said:
    I think there are people that use the concept of God to do a lot of good and others that use it to do harm.

"...a scapegoat for most?"  I hope you are using "most" loosely .  I don't necessarily believe that "most" people that don't believe in a God blame him for all the terrible stuff.  I don't really blame anyone for anything in my life.  It's my life, better than some, maybe not as good as others but it's mine.  I play the hand that  was dealt to me and move on, learn from each day, grow and try to be/do better tomorrow.

I believe if there is a God it is more like "Could it be like this that maybe God exists within everything that's living", some people are taught to love, some to hate, some choose to be a certain way.  Whether or not you choose to live your life for the Greater Good of God or not, it is still ones own free will that is living that way.

amy
    I hear ya, and I'm with ya.. That's a great response cause I agree. BUT...  That's life in general for most with what you said, and I'm with it. This boils back down to God him/her self and what people believe in or not. Is it him/her hurting us or is it us doing it to ourselves? It's a question that will never be answered till death cause we all have our own beliefs. 

• Options
    Does anyone who believes ever ask themselves why they do?  And if so, explain. 
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    why whats the point? to be picked apart and mocked?  
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    ^^^

Honest question.
  • Options
    I think I might be the last of the flock... All good to me, just like some don't believe, I do. Really no reason to spend the rest of our lives going back and forth on why. Crazy how it all works out right? Non believers and believers happy in life no matter what they think. 

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2017
    ^^^

No kidding. Although the ones who do believe can never quite articulate as to why?  The ones who don't w/ out a doubt can.
  • Options
    I was addressing attaway questions as one of "most" who don't believe.

when I believed in a God as a being it was because that's how I was raised.

Now I believe in a greater energy, or common energy, that connects everything and works in mysterious ways.
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,295
    My mother is very religious. She's the secretary and treasurer for the chapel that is only a few hundred yards or so from their house. Generations of our family have gone there each week so of course we did as kids too. We also had to study Religious Education in school, even if we didn't believe any of it.

My father, on the other hand, will only go to church for funerals or weddings. It's an interesting dynamic - she's a very proud believer, he's got no interest in it all. I never questioned either of their opinions growing up, it's just the way it was.

I don't believe in God, but I kinda get why people do - the good and the bad. When people need comfort in hard times, some look to song lyrics or poetry, or religious texts. It's the power of the written word and the willingness of people to get what they need out of it. In a sense the age of that written text adds to its mystique and revenance. Conversely, when people need to justify their actions - be it bigotry or prejudice or even terrorism - it's easier if they have a 'higher power' to blame it on, so they don't have to accept that responsibility for their actions. "If it's written then it must be His will".

I do believe that, 2000+ years ago, there was a man named Jesus Christ. I don't believe he was the son of God, I always felt he was a very good motivational speaker who knew what people needed to hear. History is littered with people that tapped into the current zeitgeist in such a way that people wanted to believe everything they said. These days Jesus would be a politician or a celebrity, a YouTube or Facebook sensation that had millions of 'likes' on every word of wisdom or motivational meme he posted. If someone was to claim today that they were the son of God chances are they'd be laughed at and mocked because we assume we know better than the people in the same position 2000 years ago.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    i've been reading this thread since the start, threw a couple comments in here and there, and watched it get derailed at times from what the OP questioned.  

Ok,
    No.
     I, like many, have been part of the family cycle and over time have come to my own conclusions about religion.   Since childhood I have had a connection with something greater than myself.  When I communicate through either prayer or mediation, I feel and know i am not alone. It is a peaceful state where all you hear is your heartbeat, your thoughts/questions/answers, an overwhelming sense of euphoria.  The connection is strong and will never be broken. 

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....