Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.
    I bet to differ. CFL is a really good game.
    Ok, you just crossed a line

Just stop lol
    take away the production values of the NFL. CFL game is better. and I'm not saying that as a canadian. I'm saying that as a moderate football fan. CFL keeps my attentin. NFL does not. 
    I don't know. I mean... that Detroit/Chicago game was absolutely thrilling.

If you watch Tennessee, Detroit, Oakland, Denver, Baltimore, San Fran, Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo, NY Jets, or Miami... prepare to fall asleep.

There are some other teams that are boring as hell too, but at least they have some star power.
    again, I'm not talking about the talent of the teams. there is no denying the superiority over the CFL there. I don't like the pace of the NFL game. it moves too slow. some of the rules I find incredibly stupid. I mean, for one, the game can be, and is often, over at the 2 minute warning. that is absolutely mind bogglingly stupid. the thrill of watching a team come back in the CFL at the buzzer is amazing. 

fair catch. also dumb. "no yards" is way better. you get action on every punt/kickoff. NFL is always just "fair catch", nothing happens, walk off the field. it's only exciting if the dope drops the ball. 

4 downs. how fucking hard is it to get a first down with 4 downs? if you can afford to waste one of your downs to stop the clock, you have too many downs. 
    I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you in the post I quoted and responded to. Even with the clump of shit teams, I still like the NFL better than the CFL; however, I would never discredit the CFL as being bush league- it can be wildly entertaining.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    Hugh - you are sounding like an idiot. CFL is no where near as good as the NFL. And the talent on the defensive side is why it takes more downs to get a first down. They aren’t playing against scrubs like the cfl. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    edited November 2018
    Hugh - you are sounding like an idiot. CFL is no where near as good as the NFL. And the talent on the defensive side is why it takes more downs to get a first down. They aren’t playing against scrubs like the cfl. 
    jesus, dude. what the fuck?
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jesus, dude. WTF is wrong with you lately?
    You seriously offended by that? It seems like you were having a barroom discussion about this...jesus this place is a fucking shithole anymore.

here you go high:

Sir, I believe you are mistaken. While you poke fun at the NFL for its rule allowing a team 4 downs to get 10 yards (vs in CFL 3 downs to get 15 yards), you are neglecting to fully realize the entire situation. The nfl athletes are far superior, especially on the defensive side. Thus, while it’s fewer yards and more downs, when you include all factors, it is actually more difficult to achieve. Good day.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    You seriously offended by that? It seems like you were having a barroom discussion about this...jesus this place is a fucking shithole anymore.

here you go high:

Sir, I believe you are mistaken. While you poke fun at the NFL for its rule allowing a team 4 downs to get 10 yards (vs in CFL 3 downs to get 15 yards), you are neglecting to fully realize the entire situation. The nfl athletes are far superior, especially on the defensive side. Thus, while it’s fewer yards and more downs, when you include all factors, it is actually more difficult to achieve. Good day.
    yeah, generally when people call me an idiot, it perks my ears up a bit. guess that's just me anymore. 

it's not fewer yards. it's 10 yards in the CFL. 

I already acknowledged the superiority of the athletes. I was talking about PACE OF GAME. I guess you didn't read that part that I very specific about. 

good day anymore. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

here you go high:

yeah, generally when people call me an idiot, it perks my ears up a bit. guess that's just me anymore. 

I already acknowledged the superiority of the athletes. I was talking about PACE OF GAME. I guess you didn't read that part that I very specific about. 

good day anymore. 
    You talked specifically about 4 downs vs 3. The only
    point I was trying to have a lighthearted discussion about. 

You want me to cover how you are wrong on most accounts? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

here you go high:

good day anymore. 
    You talked specifically about 4 downs vs 3. The only
    point I was trying to have a lighthearted discussion about. 

You want me to cover how you are wrong on most accounts? 
    most accounts of what?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HFD is an idiot, one of my closest friends is a jerk, and AMT is a shithole. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

• Options

• Options
    brianlux said:

So 1) i said sound a like an idiot. And again I misread the room, seemed like a lighthearted barroom discussion about sports. HFD - I’m sorry. I wasn’t calling you an idiot for real and thought you would take it as joking talk amongst friends. I misjudged and I won’t do it again.

2) I guess you didn’t accept my apology as I should have stated “jerk statement” but we’ve been through that and you said you were ok, and apparently aren’t.

3) and yes AMT is becoming less and less enjoyable. Too many 1 sided discussions where people are berated if they think differently by groups of people to wear the points being made aren’t discussed anymore. And too many people being too sensative. I mistakenly thought that over the years several of us (though most are gone) have achieved a certain report. That’s my mistake. I think it’s likely that only 1 person left I can joke around with. So I’ll have to change how I interact or leave. And at this point I don’t want to leave. But I enjoyed this place a lot more when we could mess with each other without people taking things personally. I’ll just try and be more straightlaced. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    brianlux said:

So 1) i said sound a like an idiot. And again I misread the room, seemed like a lighthearted barroom discussion about sports. HFD - I’m sorry. I wasn’t calling you an idiot for real and thought you would take it as joking talk amongst friends. I misjudged and I won’t do it again.

2) I guess you didn’t accept my apology as I should have stated “jerk statement” but we’ve been through that and you said you were ok, and apparently aren’t.

3) and yes AMT is becoming less and less enjoyable. Too many 1 sided discussions where people are berated if they think differently by groups of people to wear the points being made aren’t discussed anymore. And too many people being too sensative. I mistakenly thought that over the years several of us (though most are gone) have achieved a certain report. That’s my mistake. I think it’s likely that only 1 person left I can joke around with. So I’ll have to change how I interact or leave. And at this point I don’t want to leave. But I enjoyed this place a lot more when we could mess with each other without people taking things personally. I’ll just try and be more straightlaced. 
    you simply cannot expect people to know when you are kidding and when you are serious when it is a direct statement without obvious sarcasm in the written form. it's isn't about being straightlaced. it's about being clear in your delivery. 

I can't speak for Brian, but from what I saw of that apology was actually more of you doubling down on your initial statement. you seemed to simply refuse to acknowledge the events as Brian laid them out (his friend was ignorant on horse racing, saw something in real time that disturbed them, decided to look it up while there and quietly showed it to him). 

I fall on different sides of discussions depending on what it is. what I have seen lately that has bothered me the most is people chiming in with trolling comments complaining about the discussion itself. complaining about someone being devil's advocate (which actually wasn't what I was doing at all) is the most recent one that I was involved in.

but whatever. I take breaks from this place all the time, because yeah, sometimes AMT does become a bit too much to take sometimes. when I notice myself chiming in making stupid comments that don't further the discussion, which I admittedly have done in the past (just ask @Thirty Bills Unpaid about the death penalty thread), I take a break. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I  have been guilty of faulty delivery. And luckily, it has come back to bite me in the ass, so I know to work on it now.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

you simply cannot expect people to know when you are kidding and when you are serious when it is a direct statement without obvious sarcasm in the written form. it's about being straightlaced. it's about being clear in your delivery. 

I can't speak for Brian, but from what I saw of that apology was actually more of you doubling down on your initial statement. you seemed to simply refuse to acknowledge the events as Brian laid them out (his friend was ignorant on horse racing, saw something in real time that disturbed them, decided to look it up while there and quietly showed it to him). 

I fall on different sides of discussions depending on what it is. what I have seen lately that has bothered me the most is people chiming in with trolling comments complaining about the discussion itself. complaining about someone being devil's advocate (which actually wasn't what I was doing at all) is the most recent one that I was involved in.

but whatever. I take breaks from this place all the time, because yeah, sometimes AMT does become a bit too much to take sometimes. when I notice myself chiming in making stupid comments that don't further the discussion, which I admittedly have done in the past (just ask @Thirty Bills Unpaid about the death penalty thread), I take a break. 
    “Stupid comments”...are you calling me stupid? /s, ;), joking. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I too was kidding but it didn't come across as such so, sorry.

Forums are weird in that it's all just writing on a screen.  We should all meet up some day and have a good drunken brawl and then get all sentimental and mushy.  :lol: 

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Forums are weird in that it's all just writing on a screen.  We should all meet up some day and have a good drunken brawl and then get all sentimental and mushy.  :lol: 

Meeting up would be great, I'll make the beer and hippie lettuce run while the brawl is underway...lol.  May I suggest we meet in a quiet mountain town...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Meeting up would be great, I'll make the beer and hippie lettuce run while the brawl is underway...lol.  May I suggest we meet in a quiet mountain town...
    Only if the floors have been properly raked....
  • Options
    brianlux said:

you simply cannot expect people to know when you are kidding and when you are serious when it is a direct statement without obvious sarcasm in the written form. it's about being straightlaced. it's about being clear in your delivery. 

well were you serious about telling me about how I'm "wrong on most accounts"?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Only if the floors have been properly raked....
    LOL.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

well were you serious about telling me about how I'm "wrong on most accounts"?
    Ugh seriously dude? When discussion American football vs Canadian football?  If you want, let’s go. Otherwise I already apologized and ready to move on. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

To be honest there are a few left here I would be more than willing to meet in person and I honestly think we’d have a great time. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:

you simply cannot expect people to know when you are kidding and when you are serious when it is a direct statement without obvious sarcasm in the written form. it's isn't about being straightlaced. it's about being clear in your delivery. 

All good, Hugh. There's been moments, but it will always will be good regardless of those moments. I know you're one of the good guys. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Contrarian?  shocked. :|
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Only a Canadian is crazy enough to argue the CFL is better than the NFL in any real way.  maple flavored denim lunacy 

3 downs? Cute

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I would meet up with any and all of you fuckers in a heartbeat
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,910
    my2hands said:
    Next pj show for sure. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    Next pj show for sure. 
    Tuff talker.

I had a GA ticket for you in Seattle- the best show in the past decade as it turns out- and you turned it down.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,910
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    Next pj show for sure. 
    Tuff talker.

I had a GA ticket for you in Seattle- the best show in the past decade as it turns out- and you turned it down.
    Ha!  Maybe next time give someone living across the country more than a 24 hour heads up! 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Would the greatest country in the world not rake their forest floors?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.