Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe the Swedish dude should start a thread, Is Sweden better than the US???LOL
    Sweden is by pretty much every metric better than the US - from the treatment of its citiens to how it treats the planet.  So that would be a pretty short thread.
    LMFAO...now you are sounding like an American...
    No. I'm being rational and objective.

I'm not saying that Sweden is the greatest country ever or unique in some bald-eagles-soaring-in-the-sky kind of way. 

It is better than the US.

Like the US is better then North Korea.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Maybe the Swedish dude should start a thread, Is Sweden better than the US???LOL
    Sweden is by pretty much every metric better than the US - from the treatment of its citiens to how it treats the planet.  So that would be a pretty short thread.
    LMFAO...now you are sounding like an American...
    No. I'm being rational and objective.

I'm not saying that Sweden is the greatest country ever or unique in some bald-eagles-soaring-in-the-sky kind of way. 

It is better than the US.

Like the US is better then North Korea.

It's not that simple, I would think that is pretty obvious.  
    Metrics don't tell the entire story, Sweden could be entirely defeated and swallowed up (economically or militarily) by any of a handful of US states.  Sweden's contribution to world culture is admirable, but truly miniscule in comparison to the United States.  
    And to head you off at the pass, there are countries like the UK, Germany, etc where that is just as applicable with smaller geography and population.  
    Sweden seems pretty awesome, but if you are talking greatest country in the world, Sweden just doesn't have much clout.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    he was pretty clear that he isn't calling sweden the best on the globe, just better than the US
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    he was pretty clear that he isn't calling sweden the best on the globe, just better than the US
    Nothing like stating the obvious eh?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.
    Hard to call yourself better than someone who can whoop your ass and influence everybody else far more than you.

Quality of life, Sweden has it pretty good though.  Better than us, as a whole.
    Wish I had some of that sweet-ass Swedish national health coverage.  I have a wisdom tooth soon to be rotting in my head and getting it out will be equivalent to buying a family vehicle or taking a big family vacation.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.
    Hard to call yourself better than someone who can whoop your ass and influence everybody else far more than you.

Wish I had some of that sweet-ass Swedish national health coverage.  I have a wisdom tooth soon to be rotting in my head and getting it out will be equivalent to buying a family vehicle or taking a big family vacation.
    well, again, this comes back to what makes something "better". talking your example and relating it to humans, I don't consider someone who can kick my ass better than me. 

to me the determination is quality of life and happiness of their citizens. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

Nazi Germany could whoop our ass and influenced everybody else more than us in the 1930s.

What has that to do with anhthing.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    So, we know that Sweden can be a bit more expensive than the US because of us trying to have a health care system that isn't sadistic and free education and such. Our flat 25 % VAT on most goods etc.

Without getting into the discussion about the US leading the way on bacteria resistance against antibiotics because of the private US doctors are giving their "customers" what they want and over-subscripe antiobiotics compared to other countries...

... I had surgery and had to get some antiobiotics on subscription for a 7 day treatment. It cost me $28.

What would it cost in the US?
    If it is generic it would cost me $3. Brand would be $20. 
    It all depends on your insurance. 
    someone without insurance?
    The insurance cost $7000....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.
    I bet to differ. CFL is a really good game.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

Most Canadians either pay out of pocket or have to rely on private insurance for dental and pharmaceuticals...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.
    Alabama would the best CFL team...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

Most Canadians either pay out of pocket or have to rely on private insurance for dental and pharmaceuticals...
    yes, when I worked in hospitality, everything like that was out of pocket. thank Darwin I have a great plan where I work now for me and my family. mind you, we still have blue cross, that once you reach a certain amount (for us, it would be $5000 per year I believe) then the province takes over. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol. This is true.  It s like comparing mls to the premier league.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol. This is true.  It s like comparing mls to the premier league.  
     I don't think anyone is deluded enough to think that CFL players would beat NFL or even the best US college. I just prefer the canadian game. I find the US game to be very slow and prodding and boring to watch in real time. the highlights are amazing, but the pace of the game bores me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

Well FWIW, poverty rates are at 7% in Sweden, and 14% in the USA and Canada. But also relevant is the services that those in poverty can access (i.e. the social safety net) ... and I'd say Sweden comes first there too, then Canada, then the USA (if only looking at those 3 obviously).
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

Nazi Germany could whoop our ass and influenced everybody else more than us in the 1930s.

Yeah, and those are two reasons why you are lucky that the US, Russia, and the UK were great enough to protect you, or there might not be a Sweden at all.

To you and HFD:
    It's not that toughness makes someone (or some country) better, or more great, but it's certainly a factor.  If you cant reasonably protect yourself (family, country, etc.) then your quality of life and happiness is always under imminent risk.  

I know it's semantic, but great is more an adjective of quantity than quality, and while I know that the literal definition of great isn't really what is meant in this context, I think it's a bigger factor than many here are considering it to be.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

Yeah, and those are two reasons why you are lucky that the US, Russia, and the UK were great enough to protect you, or there might not be a Sweden at all.

To you and HFD:
    It's not that toughness makes someone (or some country) better, or more great, but it's certainly a factor.  If you cant reasonably protect yourself (family, country, etc.) then your quality of life and happiness is always under imminent risk.  

I know it's semantic, but great is more an adjective of quantity than quality, and while I know that the literal definition of great isn't really what is meant in this context, I think it's a bigger factor than many here are considering it to be.
    Canada had a huge role in that war too, and we were in it for the entire time, not just half of it. Just sayin'. ;)
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    If you haven't been to Moosejaw, then you haven't lived.
    funny, people in moosejaw say that if you haven't been its almost the same thing as being there. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

It's good to know that the US, Russia and the UK won WW2.  I prefer the term Allies.  Because Canada played significant roles in WW1 and WW2 ... oh, we also were in both world wars from pretty much the start...the US was not.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    fife said:
    funny, people in moosejaw say that if you haven't been its almost the same thing as being there. 
    LMAO
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

Canada had a huge role in that war too, and we were in it for the entire time, not just half of it. Just sayin'. ;)
    I'm honestly entirely ignorant to Canada's role in WW2, it isn't something I've come across.  I don't make a habit of studying war, and American education (including History channel and docs, etc) is typically self-centered, but it's still a little surprising not to have heard about it. 
    I assumed it was a small role since I hadn't heard otherwise.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

and there it is. i was waiting for the "but if it weren't for america covering your ass, you'd have no quality of life to speak of" post. 

it could be argued that if the US wasn't the globe's resident bully/protector, other countries would have stepped up their military spending and done it themselves. what effect that would have on that country's quality of life is impossible to answer, but it would obviously have an effect to be sure. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I never watch the CFL and love the NFL, but there is a level of disrespect and misunderstanding here.

If this is true, then there are several NFL teams that would get beat too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

I'm honestly entirely ignorant to Canada's role in WW2, it isn't something I've come across.  I don't make a habit of studying war, and American education (including History channel and docs, etc) is typically self-centered, but it's still a little surprising not to have heard about it. 
    That is... actually disturbing. The American education system is failing Americans in that case. Yes, Canada's role was massive. 1.1 million Canadians fought in that war. (remember, the population of Canada at the time was only 11 million). The Canadians are the ones who took Juno Beach in the invasion of Normandy, and managed to push deeper than any other force involved in that offensive. Among many other battles of course, throughout the war.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

not your fault, but not surprising, given your country's, as you correctly put it, "self-centred" education in history. it really is unbelievable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fife said:
    LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    edited November 2018
    I don’t use my textbook a lot but it does mention Canada several times with respect to ww2. I also bring up Canada several times when I teach ww2 and ww1 (through power points and primary sources).  The higher up you get the more details you learn about both wars.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I know Canadians that have very little respect because of how the US makes itself out to be the saviour of the world in WW2.  You also do not need 5 years of history to know that a lot of other countries played roles in securing an Allied victory. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    PJ_Soul said:
    Doubtful. The CFL players are paid professionals who are only a notch below playing in the NFL. Hell, the Rocket played in the CFL.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Doubtful. The CFL players are paid professionals who are only a notch below playing in the NFL. Hell, the Rocket played in the CFL.
    many college players from the US are too good for the CFL. they end up getting bench warming contracts in the NFL for the same as the top paid QB's in the CFL. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.