Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,124
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    he was pretty clear that he isn't calling sweden the best on the globe, just better than the US
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.
    Hard to call yourself better than someone who can whoop your ass and influence everybody else far more than you.

Quality of life, Sweden has it pretty good though.  Better than us, as a whole.
    Wish I had some of that sweet-ass Swedish national health coverage.  I have a wisdom tooth soon to be rotting in my head and getting it out will be equivalent to buying a family vehicle or taking a big family vacation.
    Nazi Germany could whoop our ass and influenced everybody else more than us in the 1930s.

What has that to do with anhthing.
    Yeah, and those are two reasons why you are lucky that the US, Russia, and the UK were great enough to protect you, or there might not be a Sweden at all.

To you and HFD:
    It's not that toughness makes someone (or some country) better, or more great, but it's certainly a factor.  If you cant reasonably protect yourself (family, country, etc.) then your quality of life and happiness is always under imminent risk.  

I know it's semantic, but great is more an adjective of quantity than quality, and while I know that the literal definition of great isn't really what is meant in this context, I think it's a bigger factor than many here are considering it to be.
    Canada had a huge role in that war too, and we were in it for the entire time, not just half of it. Just sayin'. ;)
    If you’d have done enough in the first half ... /s
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    he was pretty clear that he isn't calling sweden the best on the globe, just better than the US
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.
    Hard to call yourself better than someone who can whoop your ass and influence everybody else far more than you.

Wish I had some of that sweet-ass Swedish national health coverage.  I have a wisdom tooth soon to be rotting in my head and getting it out will be equivalent to buying a family vehicle or taking a big family vacation.
    Nazi Germany could whoop our ass and influenced everybody else more than us in the 1930s.

Yeah, and those are two reasons why you are lucky that the US, Russia, and the UK were great enough to protect you, or there might not be a Sweden at all.

To you and HFD:
    It's not that toughness makes someone (or some country) better, or more great, but it's certainly a factor.  If you cant reasonably protect yourself (family, country, etc.) then your quality of life and happiness is always under imminent risk.  

I know it's semantic, but great is more an adjective of quantity than quality, and while I know that the literal definition of great isn't really what is meant in this context, I think it's a bigger factor than many here are considering it to be.
    Canada had a huge role in that war too, and we were in it for the entire time, not just half of it. Just sayin'. ;)
    wow, so now insulting the men and woman who died in the wars from other countries.  low.  I am sure if someone outside of america said that you would have been rightly so upset.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

Then Russia still would have saved both our asses, haha. :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

wow, so now insulting the men and woman who died in the wars from other countries.  low.  I am sure if someone outside of america said that you would have been rightly so upset.
    the "/s" at the end means sarcasm. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

damm I am too old for these things.  sorry cindy. :s
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    :lol: Don't worry, hardly anyone knows about that. I'm afraid I'm the one who taught Cincy about the very outdated /s in the first place. Such symbols were replaced by emojis long ago, haha.
    But I'm glad Cincy has taken to the old school format, because his use of emojis sucks. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    fife said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

yeah, I found out about it like a week ago from PJ Soul. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

and there it is. i was waiting for the "but if it weren't for america covering your ass, you'd have no quality of life to speak of" post. 

it could be argued that if the US wasn't the globe's resident bully/protector, other countries would have stepped up their military spending and done it themselves. what effect that would have on that country's quality of life is impossible to answer, but it would obviously have an effect to be sure. 
    Oh, for sure, our Team America World Police bullshit is...just that.  Bullshit.

I'm just making the point that strength should always be a factor in a discussion like this, to exclude it is foolish.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,124
    fife said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

I’m trying to make PJ Soul proud. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    fife said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

well not using quotation marks was a good start. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fife said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Good point, I conflated.
    My point stands though.

To you and HFD:

well not using quotation marks was a good start. 
    :lol: Yes, that's true!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,526
    Maybe the Swedish dude should start a thread, Is Sweden better than the US???LOL
    Sweden is by pretty much every metric better than the US - from the treatment of its citiens to how it treats the planet.  So that would be a pretty short thread.
    True..most of the Europe is better than US..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Some of Europe is very great
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,909
    Some of Europe is very great
    Which is your favorite bud?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,011
    edited November 2018
    I've been lucky in past years to see pj in loads of countries and spend a day after or before going on city tours. I love Ireland both north and south. I love Holland and Norway. 
    Berlin is always a place I like to be. 
    I want to see some of the Balkan countries if I ever travel again which i doubt now im too ill for it anymore.
    In  GB wales and Scotland have some amazing landscape. 
    Ireland I would say is where I've loved
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I once stayed with a friend in Norway (misen) near Oslo for a few days after a show. And it was so peaceful
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I've been lucky in past years to see pj in loads of countries and spend a day after or before going on city tours. I love Ireland both north and south. I love Holland and Norway. 
    I want to see some of the Balkan countries if I ever travel again which i doubt now im too ill for it anymore.
    I ve been to Ireland three times and I must agree with you.  Such a fantastic place and definitely the nicest people I have ever met. Sorry to hear you are still ill. Maybe a few more ice cubes in your wine will make you feel better. ;)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I ve been to Ireland three times and I must agree with you.  Such a fantastic place and definitely the nicest people I have ever met. Sorry to hear you are still ill. Maybe a few more ice cubes in your wine will make you feel better. ;)
    If I see the summer I will try it again..thanks.
    I did a bus tour of Belfast and it was chilling as it's history of my lifetime. But I recently  went to Kerry . The dingle peninsula  with my daughter to see Glen and marketa in a small tent in the middle of nowhere and it was heaven for me. I felt like i had gone home.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I have been to over 30 countries.  Many great countries out there.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Make America Gray Again

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    This has made me think about making a list . Better still a globe with stickers on where I have been. 
    When I sit in an airport I look at the departure board and go through which I've seen pj in. Sad man 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    This has made me think about making a list . Better still a globe with stickers on where I have been. 
    When I sit in an airport I look at the departure board and go through which I've seen pj in. Sad man 
    how is that sad? that's awesome! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    If I see the summer I will try it again..thanks.
    I did a bus tour of Belfast and it was chilling as it's history of my lifetime. But I recently  went to Kerry . The dingle peninsula  with my daughter to see Glen and marketa in a small tent in the middle of nowhere and it was heaven for me. I felt like i had gone home.
    Have you hit up the giants causeway and the bush mills distillery?  Northern Ireland is awesome.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.
    I bet to differ. CFL is a really good game.
    Ok, you just crossed a line

Just stop lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.

Just stop lol
    take away the production values of the NFL. CFL game is better. and I'm not saying that as a canadian. I'm saying that as a moderate football fan. CFL keeps my attentin. NFL does not. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I honestly believe a lot of people are mesmerized by the production of the show, not the game itself. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    On Black Friday, we spend more money on crap than any other country, nanner nanner nanner.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Just stop lol
    take away the production values of the NFL. CFL game is better. and I'm not saying that as a canadian. I'm saying that as a moderate football fan. CFL keeps my attentin. NFL does not. 
    I don't know. I mean... that Detroit/Chicago game was absolutely thrilling.

If you watch Tennessee, Detroit, Oakland, Denver, Baltimore, San Fran, Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo, NY Jets, or Miami... prepare to fall asleep.

There are some other teams that are boring as hell too, but at least they have some star power.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Just stop lol
    You must have missed the Rams vs KC Monday night...

Detroit V Chicago on Turkey Day.

RedSkins v Cowboys was good for 3 quarters...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Just stop lol
    I don't know. I mean... that Detroit/Chicago game was absolutely thrilling.

If you watch Tennessee, Detroit, Oakland, Denver, Baltimore, San Fran, Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo, NY Jets, or Miami... prepare to fall asleep.

There are some other teams that are boring as hell too, but at least they have some star power.
    again, I'm not talking about the talent of the teams. there is no denying the superiority over the CFL there. I don't like the pace of the NFL game. it moves too slow. some of the rules I find incredibly stupid. I mean, for one, the game can be, and is often, over at the 2 minute warning. that is absolutely mind bogglingly stupid. the thrill of watching a team come back in the CFL at the buzzer is amazing. 

fair catch. also dumb. "no yards" is way better. you get action on every punt/kickoff. NFL is always just "fair catch", nothing happens, walk off the field. it's only exciting if the dope drops the ball. 

4 downs. how fucking hard is it to get a first down with 4 downs? if you can afford to waste one of your downs to stop the clock, you have too many downs. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.