Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    watching the Grey Cup (Canada's football championship) last night at my parents', and my daughter says "why are their fighter jets flying over the stadium to start the game?". I said "because, don'tcha know, honey, that the military and sports go hand in hand". My dad looked at me and smiled. 

if it makes no sense to a child, there's often a reason for that. I find the CFL's intense embrace of the canadian military to be very american, and it's discomforting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Soccer is better than both
    Soccer might be even more boring than basketball.
    We all know that in 1994 the us had the better hockey team. ;)
    That's weak.  The most impressive hockey team the US has ever assembled (talent wise no, but they were a great team, they had guts, character and a fantastic coach that knew how to beat the Soviets) was the miracle on ice.  
    I agree. Realize I was just poking fun at soul. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    That's weak.  The most impressive hockey team the US has ever assembled (talent wise no, but they were a great team, they had guts, character and a fantastic coach that knew how to beat the Soviets) was the miracle on ice.  
    I absolutely enjoyed our 3 Olympic Gold Medals in hockey in the last few Olympics.  But that team the US sent lake placid.  Just impressive.  I have watched the movie at least a dozen times...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    I absolutely enjoyed our 3 Olympic Gold Medals in hockey in the last few Olympics.  But that team the US sent lake placid.  Just impressive.  I have watched the movie at least a dozen times...
    Amazing movie!! I show it to my classes when I teach the Cold War.  Again! Again!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,971
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Amazing movie!! I show it to my classes when I teach the Cold War.  Again! Again!
    Do you show any non-Hollywood movies?

(Are you talking about Miracle?)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Do you show any non-Hollywood movies?

(Are you talking about Miracle?)
    Yes, that is the movie he is talking about.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    a hockey movie for cold war teachings?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited November 2018
    watching the Grey Cup (Canada's football championship) last night at my parents', and my daughter says "why are their fighter jets flying over the stadium to start the game?". I said "because, don'tcha know, honey, that the military and sports go hand in hand". My dad looked at me and smiled. 

if it makes no sense to a child, there's often a reason for that. I find the CFL's intense embrace of the canadian military to be very american, and it's discomforting. 
    Yes, I hate that. It is pure, shameless brainwashing propaganda.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Haha. This made me laugh.

(also interesting choice to show a heavily hollywood patriotic THE-AMERICAN-SPIRIT movie, with what I said on the last page. Fitting)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    f u c k  s p o r t s

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Oh hell yeah, kids love it. Fantastic movie. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.
    I bet to differ. CFL is a really good game.
    Ok, you just crossed a line

Just stop lol
    take away the production values of the NFL. CFL game is better. and I'm not saying that as a canadian. I'm saying that as a moderate football fan. CFL keeps my attentin. NFL does not. 
    Exactly. It is a better game in terms of how it's played and the small details that separate it from the way NFL is played. Obviously what it lacks is the best possible football players because those are all getting paid millions and millions in the NFL.
    if wide receivers in the NFL could start running before the ball is hiked the scores would be 95-90.  it's already insanely difficult to stop a good passing team in the NFL. put that rule in and it would literally be impossible to stop a good passing team.  and if the NFL put the goal posts back at the front of the end zone you'd be seeing 70 yard field goals. we are seeing some in the 60s now.  those are 2 rules just off the top of my head that could never happen in the NFL as the players are too damn good.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    hope you show War Games and Red Dawn as well
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.
    I bet to differ. CFL is a really good game.
    Ok, you just crossed a line

Just stop lol
    take away the production values of the NFL. CFL game is better. and I'm not saying that as a canadian. I'm saying that as a moderate football fan. CFL keeps my attentin. NFL does not. 
    Exactly. It is a better game in terms of how it's played and the small details that separate it from the way NFL is played. Obviously what it lacks is the best possible football players because those are all getting paid millions and millions in the NFL.
    if wide receivers in the NFL could start running before the ball is hiked the scores would be 95-90.  it's already insanely difficult to stop a good passing team in the NFL. put that rule in and it would literally be impossible to stop a good passing team.  and if the NFL put the goal posts back at the front of the end zone you'd be seeing 70 yard field goals. we are seeing some in the 60s now.  those are 2 rules just off the top of my head that could never happen in the NFL as the players are too damn good.
    I never said I want the NFL to adopt CFL rules... On the contrary. America, keep your hands off our game, lol. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Didn't you teach like college? What age are these kids?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    He teaches in high school I believe.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    He teaches in high school I believe.
    Then throw them something with meat on it, instead of some patriotic Hollywood-cotton candy. 

Kurt Russel though... mmm...

SHOW ROCKY IV!

• Options
    edited November 2018
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    I do show the end clip of war games.  
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.
     I ve taught 8th grade for the past 18 years. 

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, Rocky IV certainly beats Miracle. Though I'm a bit of a Rocky fanatic, so may be biased, lol.
    I admit I don't feel great about the idea of teaching the Cold War via super pro-American Hollywood movies in general. I don't know enough about McGruff's lesson plan to fully comment in this case though. I would think a solid, unbiased documentary about that who spectacle would be the best choice, but... nobody asked me, lol.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.

"Wolverines"

I think those 2 movies at least show the hype or hysteria we had at that time about the Russians.

8th graders. god bless you for putting up with that age for 18 years.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, Rocky IV certainly beats Miracle. Though I'm a bit of a Rocky fanatic, so may be biased, lol.
    I admit I don't feel great about the idea of teaching the Cold War via super pro-American Hollywood movies in general. I don't know enough about McGruff's lesson plan to fully comment in this case though. I would think a solid, unbiased documentary about that who spectacle would be the best choice, but... nobody asked me, lol.
    Rocky IV is atleast a movie from that era, so it's a historic document in that sense. 
    Miracle is just america-fuck-yeah bullshit to make americans cozy in front of the television... and I'm not sure americans need more of that. Haha. 

But Kurt Russell. mmm...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Rocky IV is atleast a movie from that era, so it's a historic document in that sense. 
    Miracle is just america-fuck-yeah bullshit to make americans cozy in front of the television...
    greatest upset in the history of sports.  at the height of the Cold War.  amazing anyone beat that team let alone a bunch of american college kids.  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Should he show Swedish movies?
  • Options
    to be fair to mcgruff, sometimes teachers show something that is "light" at the end of teaching a serious topic. nothing really wrong with that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.

Just out of curiosity, do you show any non-Hollywood films during your courses? Or any non-english speaking films?
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    nah he should show some Canadian movies like the Mackenzie brothers.  what was their beer movie?  take off you hosers
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.

Just out of curiosity, do you show any non-Hollywood films during your courses? Or any non-english speaking films?
    Why the fuck would you show 7th graders a movie with subtitles? I'm 40 and i dont watch that shit

You really need to lighten up with the anti-American schtick dude, good lord lol

Hollywood dominates the global movie market, get over it
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.

Why and how would he show non-English speaking films in an English language school, and he's not a language teacher? The kids wouldn't even be able to see the sub-titles from the back of the class probably.
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    INGMAR BERGMAN EVERY GOD DAMN DAY!

This discussion has been closed.