Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Soccer is better than both
    Soccer might be even more boring than basketball.
    We all know that in 1994 the us had the better hockey team. ;)
    That's weak.  The most impressive hockey team the US has ever assembled (talent wise no, but they were a great team, they had guts, character and a fantastic coach that knew how to beat the Soviets) was the miracle on ice.  
    I agree. Realize I was just poking fun at soul. 
    I absolutely enjoyed our 3 Olympic Gold Medals in hockey in the last few Olympics.  But that team the US sent lake placid.  Just impressive.  I have watched the movie at least a dozen times...
    Amazing movie!! I show it to my classes when I teach the Cold War.  Again! Again!
    a hockey movie for cold war teachings?
    Oh hell yeah, kids love it. Fantastic movie. 
    Didn't you teach like college? What age are these kids?
    He teaches in high school I believe.
    Then throw them something with meat on it, instead of some patriotic Hollywood-cotton candy. 

Kurt Russel though... mmm...

SHOW ROCKY IV!

There is actually some rally good stuff about teamwork and leadership in that movie. My company actually uses a segment in some really great organization training that I have given. I think a nice mix of this and some harder core stuff would be great for high schoolers. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    That's weak.  The most impressive hockey team the US has ever assembled (talent wise no, but they were a great team, they had guts, character and a fantastic coach that knew how to beat the Soviets) was the miracle on ice.  
    I absolutely enjoyed our 3 Olympic Gold Medals in hockey in the last few Olympics.  But that team the US sent lake placid.  Just impressive.  I have watched the movie at least a dozen times...
    Amazing movie!! I show it to my classes when I teach the Cold War.  Again! Again!
    hope you show War Games and Red Dawn as well
    I do show the end clip of war games.  
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.
     I ve taught 8th grade for the past 18 years. 

Just out of curiosity, do you show any non-Hollywood films during your courses? Or any non-english speaking films?
    I show “life is beautiful” when teaching the holocaust and they have to write about an ethical question I raise.  They get used to the subtitles pretty quick. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    to be fair to mcgruff, sometimes teachers show something that is "light" at the end of teaching a serious topic. nothing really wrong with that. 
    Ofcourse. Remember being bored from having to watch Spartacus in High School. Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited November 2018
    to be fair to mcgruff, sometimes teachers show something that is "light" at the end of teaching a serious topic. nothing really wrong with that. 
    Ya, that's why I didn't jump to accuse. I don't know the specifics... I think it's a bit uncomfortable showing any movie that is so insanely pro-Am/patriotic as Miracle is, but I guess Americans are used to extreme patriotism in the education system anyway. That would just be normal there I think. BTW, are they still doing the fucking pledge of allegiance in American schools? Or did the courts knock that down?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.

Just out of curiosity, do you show any non-Hollywood films during your courses? Or any non-english speaking films?
    Why and how would he show non-English speaking films in an English language school, and he's not a language teacher? The kids wouldn't even be able to see the sub-titles from the back of the class probably.
    I could see a million reasons if you're a history teacher. 

E.g. Studying the second world war and watching Der Untergang
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I'm watching Oceans 8 with my mom now, have to go. 

Will Sandra Bullock steal the jewels? STAY TUNED.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Maybe you and I are the only people that understand the significance of that hockey victory in that time of history...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.

Why and how would he show non-English speaking films in an English language school, and he's not a language teacher? The kids wouldn't even be able to see the sub-titles from the back of the class probably.
    I could see a million reasons if you're a history teacher. 

E.g. Studying the second world war and watching Der Untergang
    But how are they supposed to do that, is what I'm asking. Again, they just wheel in TVs. The class wouldn't be able to read the subtitles. And probably other kids can't even read subtitles well enough to follow (sadly). Also, there are plenty of great English-language films to use - like, thousands of them. There is no reason to do what you're suggesting, practically.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Canada, we usually get a couple CFL games.  Might as well watch US high school football over the CFL.
    I bet to differ. CFL is a really good game.
    Ok, you just crossed a line

Just stop lol
    take away the production values of the NFL. CFL game is better. and I'm not saying that as a canadian. I'm saying that as a moderate football fan. CFL keeps my attentin. NFL does not. 
    Exactly. It is a better game in terms of how it's played and the small details that separate it from the way NFL is played. Obviously what it lacks is the best possible football players because those are all getting paid millions and millions in the NFL.
    if wide receivers in the NFL could start running before the ball is hiked the scores would be 95-90.  it's already insanely difficult to stop a good passing team in the NFL. put that rule in and it would literally be impossible to stop a good passing team.  and if the NFL put the goal posts back at the front of the end zone you'd be seeing 70 yard field goals. we are seeing some in the 60s now.  those are 2 rules just off the top of my head that could never happen in the NFL as the players are too damn good.
    Could you see the Saints receivers with a running start?  They put 40 up on good defences now.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, Rocky IV certainly beats Miracle. Though I'm a bit of a Rocky fanatic, so may be biased, lol.
    I admit I don't feel great about the idea of teaching the Cold War via super pro-American Hollywood movies in general. I don't know enough about McGruff's lesson plan to fully comment in this case though. I would think a solid, unbiased documentary about that who spectacle would be the best choice, but... nobody asked me, lol.
    Rocky IV is atleast a movie from that era, so it's a historic document in that sense. 
    Miracle is just america-fuck-yeah bullshit to make americans cozy in front of the television...
    greatest upset in the history of sports.  at the height of the Cold War.  amazing anyone beat that team let alone a bunch of american college kids.  
    That Russian team easily beat pro teams...so for college kids to pull that upset...fantastic.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Red dawn, yeah no lol.

Why the fuck would you show 7th graders a movie with subtitles? I'm 40 and i dont watch that shit

You really need to lighten up with the anti-American schtick dude, good lord lol

Hollywood dominates the global movie market, get over it
    LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Maybe you and I are the only people that understand the significance of that hockey victory in that time of history...

Yeah you are talking about one of the most memorable sports moments in history at the absolute height of the Cold War.  This game (and it wasn't even the gold medal game) and the significance of it is above their comprehension.  I really try to drive home that the US and USSR competed EVERYWHERE during the Cold War.  
    Der Untergang, I mean it's ok but you have to remember your audience (for me we are talking 13 and 14 year olds, kids).  My main objective is to keep them interested, engaged and teach US History from the end of the Civil War to the present., I might show a clip from that but not the whole movie.  It is just too much of the same thing and they would quickly lose interest.  Plus I really don't have time to spend on a movie like that, just too many things to cover.  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

I get it as well
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

Yeah you are talking about one of the most memorable sports moments in history at the absolute height of the Cold War.  This game (and it wasn't even the gold medal game) and the significance of it is above their comprehension.  I really try to drive home that the US and USSR competed EVERYWHERE during the Cold War.  
    Der Untergang, I mean it's ok but you have to remember your audience (for me we are talking 13 and 14 year olds, kids).  My main objective is to keep them interested, engaged and teach US History from the end of the Civil War to the present., I might show a clip from that but not the whole movie.  It is just too much of the same thing and they would quickly lose interest.  Plus I really don't have time to spend on a movie like that, just too many things to cover.  
    I actually fully recognize the importance of that game at the time, and it was amazing sports drama too. I just don't like the Disney pro-Am schlock of Miracle, lol.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

Der Untergang was just an example, in the context of historic films with subs. Haha.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    If I were teaching kids about the history of the cold war I would include in my lessons my own personal experiences with having to watch test broadcast of the the "emergency broadcast system" on TV and having to listen to practice runs of screaming air raid sirens going off and being told to close our eyes if we saw a bright flash outside our window and having to go through regularly scheduled duck and cover practices at school in case of a nuclear attack as if our little school desks were going to save us from nuclear annihilation.  All of that was so lovely, just so fucking lovely.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    If I were teaching kids about the history of the cold war I would include in my lessons my own personal experiences with having to watch test broadcast of the the "emergency broadcast system" on TV and having to listen to practice runs of screaming air raid sirens going off and being told to close our eyes if we saw a bright flash outside our window and having to go through regularly scheduled duck and cover practices at school in case of a nuclear attack as if our little school desks were going to save us from nuclear annihilation.  All of that was so lovely, just so fucking lovely.  

Immerse the class. Have the classes participate in the same exercises as you did. Schedule random nuke drills. If you wanted to go completely nuts... dedicate 2-3 days of 'fake news' (attack may be pending). 

Of course... whether it's show a movie or get into role... inform the parents of your tactics ahead of time. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Kids are well versed in lockdown drills in today's world
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    brianlux said:

Immerse the class. Have the classes participate in the same exercises as you did. Schedule random nuke drills. If you wanted to go completely nuts... dedicate 2-3 days of 'fake news' (attack may be pending). 

Of course... whether it's show a movie or get into role... inform the parents of your tactics ahead of time. 
    Best not to do shit like this these days, from the teacher's perspective. If even one kid ends up traumatized by it, or even having nightmares or something, the teacher could get in shit because too many parents are idiots about such things. It's the sad but true reality of education now.
    This would, however, but perfectly appropriate for university students. You could go really dark with it in fact, lol.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Yeah I love teaching duck and cover.  Brian do you have any memories of the Cuban
    missile crisis or was that before your time?
  • Options
    Wanna see a fantastic lesson on discrimination? Check this out (it's fascinating and worth the watch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHxFuO2Nk-0
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah I love teaching duck and cover.  Brian do you have any memories of the Cuban

Brian has memories of the Civil War lol!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

I thought it was the war of 1812?!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

It's all of the above, plus the American Revolutionary War.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

It's all of the above, plus the American Revolutionary War.
    Daaaaaaamn.  Twenty bucks says Brian partied with Ben Franklin. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

An interesting idea but, nope, couldn't do it.  I would talk about it a bit, but kids these days have enough concerns of their own.  Plus, it would be like when my folks tried to tell us kids what it was like during the Great Depression.  We could only get a vague notion, enough to know we didn't want to go there.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Best not to do shit like this these days, from the teacher's perspective. If even one kid ends up traumatized by it, or even having nightmares or something, the teacher could get in shit because too many parents are idiots about such things. It's the sad but true reality of education now.
    This would, however, but perfectly appropriate for university students. You could go really dark with it in fact, lol.
    Yeah, agreed.  I wouldn't do that to young kids.  College students though, yeah, the full Monty- bright lights, loud explosions, ghastly screaming, the works, haha.

Nah, couldn't do it.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    Before my time?  LOL, thank you, McG!  :smile:

I was 11 when that went down.  That was when all that I described above went (dare I say it?) ballistic.  My folks, teachers, pretty much all the adults we knew were all on edge all the time during those days.  There was a general feeling of dread, literally an end-of-the-world feeling of dread in the air.  Those days really messed with our pointy little heads.

• Options
    Brian check out the brown eyes/blue eyes YouTube link I submitted.
  • Options
    Brian check out the brown eyes/blue eyes YouTube link I submitted.
    Is that the one that occurred right after MLK got assassinated (I can't find your link for some reason)?  If so I am almost positive the teacher got fired for that.  By the way, great video.  I show that every year.
This discussion has been closed.