Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    Donald Trump exudes weakness every chance he gets

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    What a spineless, gutless, wimp, that Team Trump Treason.

https://apple.news/AfBLlsfJgT6e_FvWByXtICw
    #wetblanket 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,661
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    And if the Mueller issue does NOT lead to impeachment, i'm afraid 2020 may be a lock.

Democrats somehow let this guy become the "America First" candidate that is also "protecting the border" and therefore is protecting the country, meanwhile the democrats seem more eager to protect trans bathroom use people..... want a POTUS that protects them, protects the country, and puts America first. Elections really arent that complicated. Dems will fuck this up, I'm convinced of it. 
    I believe you are misreading last night's results.  While FL is depressing, by and large everythign else was positive.  We learned:
    1. Democratic votes substantially outpaced Republican
    2. Midwest states appear to have flipped at some level back to blue, judging by the governorship changes in WI and MI.  Scott Walker losing was huge.  He was elected twice and survived a recall.
    3. Women have heavily come over to Democrats
    4. Aggressive HOR forecasts were in the 30 to 35 range pick up.  I think we are looking at 33/34.  That's pretty damn good.
    5. The GOP is becoming an increasingly white, older and rural party.  Yet the country is becoming more urban, younger and diverse.  Demographics are destiny.  It's not overnight, but it's happening.  

The Senate map in 2020 is flipped.  Republicans have to defend far more seats, many of them in blue states.  
    1) Not everywhere...certainly not Florida and certainly not Ohio to name a couple.
    2) Scott Walker losing is big "ish". Nobody should really run a third time. It doesn't matter how successful you are...everyone has an expiry date. That being said this will be the most important state in 2020.
    3) Not all women and not necessarily in the states where it matters
    4) 33/34 is historical average for a president in first term which is a subpar performance based on the "Trump repudiation" the AMT was expecting...this repudiation didn't happen and conservatives surprisingly held strong in some seats and flipped a few other.
    5) The urban/rural split is absolutely real but as always this is an electoral college game and not a popular vote game. 2020 election will completely boil down to Wisconsin and possibly Michigan...especially if John James is on the ballot again. No point for anybody to even campaign anywhere else. Progressive democrats lost last night while moderate dems won...the dems will need a candidate that can push turnout while not veering too far to the left...who that is remains to be seen.

The Senate map in 2020 is flipped but the GOP likely built the buffer they need to retain control. Doug Jones told me so.
    1. I'm talking about nationwide, in totality.  Obviously if this was an individual state statement, the Dems would have won all senate seats.  
    2. He lost no matter how you couch it.  The losses of governorship in MI and WI are critical.  Ohio is gone, period, as I mentioned in a different comment earlier.  Florida may be as well, for a few cycles.  
    3. Really, not ALL women?  That's weird, I was sure every woman voted for a Democrat.  I'll have to check the numbers again.
    4. Impressive that somehow you culled a monolithic statement from everyone in the AMT, as if that mattered.  My statement stands.  The aggressive forecast was in the mid 30's.  That was achieved.  So what if H2M or someone was shit talking and said 197 seats.  
    5. Dems won.  Some were progressive, some were moderate.  Moderates will always pull more crossover, the risk is the 3rd party pulling away the extremes.  See the Arizona race as an example, obviously.  

I don't think you should be taking political commentary from Doug Jones.  He had a solid knuckle-curve, but you could never rely on him in clutch situations.  Any reliever topping out at 87 mph is a risk.  
    This is just plain incorrect. There are places where Trump crushed it...there are places where he got beat. It is certainly not a repudiation of him or the GOP in any way shape or form. Too say he lost and the dems won is just silly. There are warning signs for both parties and at the end of the day the dems will need a candidate that will play strong in the rust belt to win in 2020.
    What specifically is just plain incorrect?  End of the day, the Democrats seized control of a branch.  That was the most important thing that could happen.  Everything else is secondary.  It matters little if the Senate number is -3 or -5.  Until you get to 60, it's minor around the edges.  Expanding the governorships is at least as important as moving the Senate number, which they did at +6.
    Sure they seized control of a branch...not with any big margin...but this was expected on the very first day of the Trump presidency as the party in power always loses the house. Congratulations to them for adhering to the norm. The senate gains are big now that the filibuster is dead....judges, appointments etc all just got easier. That's why Sessions was dropped 5 minutes ago and not 5 months ago. The governorships are absolutely important but the most important ones for 2020 are Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan and on those it was a draw.
    How does moving from 51 to 53 in the Senate have any material affect other than protecting against defections?  That provides no advantage on cloture or the filibuster (which is still in place for legislation).  
    It's frankly comical how those on the right here (I believe you), crowed about the dramatic losses in governorships and state legislatures during the Obama years.  I agreed with you on those points, because of the redrawing of the maps made it so difficult for Democrats to win in the gerrymandered districts.  But now they've done it, and overcome outrageous drawing (my district is a prime example of a map that was created to offset the suburban Richmond voters with rural all the way up to Northern VA, literally).  Now the Dems have overcome these hurdles and you change your tune.  Now it's about getting +2 in the Senate.  Okay, right.  
    Protecting against defections is massive...look what just went on with Kavanaugh last month. Not to mention Corker, McCain and likely Flake will be replaced with "Trumpier" senators. This has very big implications. On your second point though I am absolutely not downplaying Democratic gains anywhere...they are certainly important. I'm just suggesting that you might need to consider tempering your enthusiasm a little bit. The results are far more mixed then you are portraying them. I'm not suggesting that Trump won big yesterday but it is also wrong to suggest that he and/or the GOP lost. Obama/dems got crushed in 2010 yet he won in 12. Based on yesterday's results Trump still has potential to thread the same needle that he did in 2016. At this stage that is all one can ask for.
    Protecting defections isn't even the same game as flipping a chamber or the executive branch.  To pretend like yesterday was a great day for the POTUS, as he is, is just delusional and silly.  Are there historical norms that support this happening, yes of course.  But those were shitty days for that president too.  And regarding them being mixed, I have been pretty declarative that FL and OH are lost causes in 2020 I believe.  OH may be pmer
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    And if the Mueller issue does NOT lead to impeachment, i'm afraid 2020 may be a lock.

Democrats somehow let this guy become the "America First" candidate that is also "protecting the border" and therefore is protecting the country, meanwhile the democrats seem more eager to protect trans bathroom use people..... want a POTUS that protects them, protects the country, and puts America first. Elections really arent that complicated. Dems will fuck this up, I'm convinced of it. 
    I believe you are misreading last night's results.  While FL is depressing, by and large everythign else was positive.  We learned:
    1. Democratic votes substantially outpaced Republican
    2. Midwest states appear to have flipped at some level back to blue, judging by the governorship changes in WI and MI.  Scott Walker losing was huge.  He was elected twice and survived a recall.
    3. Women have heavily come over to Democrats
    4. Aggressive HOR forecasts were in the 30 to 35 range pick up.  I think we are looking at 33/34.  That's pretty damn good.
    5. The GOP is becoming an increasingly white, older and rural party.  Yet the country is becoming more urban, younger and diverse.  Demographics are destiny.  It's not overnight, but it's happening.  

The Senate map in 2020 is flipped.  Republicans have to defend far more seats, many of them in blue states.  
    1) Not everywhere...certainly not Florida and certainly not Ohio to name a couple.
    2) Scott Walker losing is big "ish". Nobody should really run a third time. It doesn't matter how successful you are...everyone has an expiry date. That being said this will be the most important state in 2020.
    3) Not all women and not necessarily in the states where it matters
    4) 33/34 is historical average for a president in first term which is a subpar performance based on the "Trump repudiation" the AMT was expecting...this repudiation didn't happen and conservatives surprisingly held strong in some seats and flipped a few other.
    5) The urban/rural split is absolutely real but as always this is an electoral college game and not a popular vote game. 2020 election will completely boil down to Wisconsin and possibly Michigan...especially if John James is on the ballot again. No point for anybody to even campaign anywhere else. Progressive democrats lost last night while moderate dems won...the dems will need a candidate that can push turnout while not veering too far to the left...who that is remains to be seen.

The Senate map in 2020 is flipped but the GOP likely built the buffer they need to retain control. Doug Jones told me so.
    1. I'm talking about nationwide, in totality.  Obviously if this was an individual state statement, the Dems would have won all senate seats.  
    2. He lost no matter how you couch it.  The losses of governorship in MI and WI are critical.  Ohio is gone, period, as I mentioned in a different comment earlier.  Florida may be as well, for a few cycles.  
    3. Really, not ALL women?  That's weird, I was sure every woman voted for a Democrat.  I'll have to check the numbers again.
    4. Impressive that somehow you culled a monolithic statement from everyone in the AMT, as if that mattered.  My statement stands.  The aggressive forecast was in the mid 30's.  That was achieved.  So what if H2M or someone was shit talking and said 197 seats.  
    5. Dems won.  Some were progressive, some were moderate.  Moderates will always pull more crossover, the risk is the 3rd party pulling away the extremes.  See the Arizona race as an example, obviously.  

I don't think you should be taking political commentary from Doug Jones.  He had a solid knuckle-curve, but you could never rely on him in clutch situations.  Any reliever topping out at 87 mph is a risk.  
    This is just plain incorrect. There are places where Trump crushed it...there are places where he got beat. It is certainly not a repudiation of him or the GOP in any way shape or form. Too say he lost and the dems won is just silly. There are warning signs for both parties and at the end of the day the dems will need a candidate that will play strong in the rust belt to win in 2020.
    What specifically is just plain incorrect?  End of the day, the Democrats seized control of a branch.  That was the most important thing that could happen.  Everything else is secondary.  It matters little if the Senate number is -3 or -5.  Until you get to 60, it's minor around the edges.  Expanding the governorships is at least as important as moving the Senate number, which they did at +6.
    Sure they seized control of a branch...not with any big margin...but this was expected on the very first day of the Trump presidency as the party in power always loses the house. Congratulations to them for adhering to the norm. The senate gains are big now that the filibuster is dead....judges, appointments etc all just got easier. That's why Sessions was dropped 5 minutes ago and not 5 months ago. The governorships are absolutely important but the most important ones for 2020 are Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan and on those it was a draw.
    How does moving from 51 to 53 in the Senate have any material affect other than protecting against defections?  That provides no advantage on cloture or the filibuster (which is still in place for legislation).  
    It's frankly comical how those on the right here (I believe you), crowed about the dramatic losses in governorships and state legislatures during the Obama years.  I agreed with you on those points, because of the redrawing of the maps made it so difficult for Democrats to win in the gerrymandered districts.  But now they've done it, and overcome outrageous drawing (my district is a prime example of a map that was created to offset the suburban Richmond voters with rural all the way up to Northern VA, literally).  Now the Dems have overcome these hurdles and you change your tune.  Now it's about getting +2 in the Senate.  Okay, right.  
    Protecting against defections is massive...look what just went on with Kavanaugh last month. Not to mention Corker, McCain and likely Flake will be replaced with "Trumpier" senators. This has very big implications. On your second point though I am absolutely not downplaying Democratic gains anywhere...they are certainly important. I'm just suggesting that you might need to consider tempering your enthusiasm a little bit. The results are far more mixed then you are portraying them. I'm not suggesting that Trump won big yesterday but it is also wrong to suggest that he and/or the GOP lost. Obama/dems got crushed in 2010 yet he won in 12. Based on yesterday's results Trump still has potential to thread the same needle that he did in 2016. At this stage that is all one can ask for.
    you can ask or wish for that i'm hoping he sticks that needle in his eye ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    Lot of elists don't like Trump acting that way.  Fucking elitists. Flipped out and called this great man a racist when he said there were great people on both sides, and probably back this CNN elitist now.  I don't like Trump's policies, but clearly, he's the man.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    No words.  But supposedly this is all fine and the dems have no message.  They definitely shouldn't attack Trump, it makes them look bad.

smh
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Smellyman said:
    No words.  But supposedly this is all fine and the dems have no message.  They definitely shouldn't attack Trump, it makes them look bad.

smh
    He is an embarrassment to this country. The entire press corps should have walked out in protest, IMO.
  • Options
    The whole world is laughing at this guy. When will it end?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    When Team Mueller says so.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    He’s not even composed enough to hold down any job I’ve ever had back to bagging groceries in high school.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    He’s not even composed enough to hold down any job I’ve ever had back to bagging groceries in high school.  
    His composure and combativeness belies a person who claims they had a good night last night.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    His composure and combativeness belies a person who claims they had a good night last night.  
    This is what I thought.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    2 to 6 years.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

The 10 Most Hopeful Results for the Democrats From Last Night’s Midterm Elections

Holy cow, was that a good night. I know it may not seem like it, because the most well-known candidates lost, the Senate was a GOP rout (as predicted) and Georgia and Florida disappointed, but that’s really about it for the bad news. There was a TON of good news from last night, from referendums affecting millions to historic victories for women and minorities who are leading a new generation of leadership into Congress. Even though Beto didn’t win, plenty more liberals did. Here are the ten most encouraging results from last night’s elections.

1. Florida May Have Turned Blue

Despite heartbreaking losses for Andrew Gillum and Bill Nelson that were likely aided by voter suppression, a massively positive development on that front will change the dynamic for 2020. Over a million people who had their vote disenfranchised by Republicans gained the right to vote thanks to passage of Amendment 4.

Every Florida election seems to be 50.5% to 49.5%. Imagine what 1.4 million votes largely pointed in one direction will do to that dynamic.

2. Democrats Flipped Statehouses in Big States

As of this writing, the Colorado Senate, Minnesota House, New Hampshire House and Senate, New York Senate and Maine Senate flipped to the Dems with no comparable gains by Republicans. Democrats also broke supermajorities in the North Carolina House and Senate as well as the Oregon House. State level races always get forgotten on election nights, but from a policy perspective, America's federalist system allows for states to implement more immediately impactful policies than the federal government.

3. Four New Trifecta States

Speaking of immediately impactful policies, the Democrats have four new “trifectas”—states where they control the governor's office, House and Senate. Colorado, Illinois, New Mexico and New York are now under complete and total liberal rule. Also, Delaware protected their Democratic trifecta. Get creative, folks. We need big solutions to our big problems.

4. Kansas! Freaking Kansas!

Every political science major has had to read Thomas Frank's famed book, What's the Matter with Kansas?, a study how the Republican Party got poor white folks in Kansas to vote against their economic interests. Kansas is quite literally a case study for modern Republicanism, which is what made two results so shocking. First, an openly gay Native American woman, Sharice Davids, took down a GOP incumbent.

In Kansas!

Secondly, the architect of Trump's fraudulent “voter fraud commission,” Kris Kobach, got obliterated in Kansas' governor's race, losing shortly after polls closed. In Kansas!

5. Democracy Was Saved in North Carolina

The Electoral Integrity Project rates North Carolina as “not a democracy,” thanks to the last decade of pure authoritarian rule. More GOP authoritarianism was on the ballot last night, and the Democratic Party fought back and won.

Plus, two measures were defeated that were opposed by 5 former governors (including two Republicans) that could only be called an attempted coup by the N.C. GOP.

The N.C. GOP has been locked into a power struggle with Gov. Cooper, passing bills to limit his power. The GOP put 2 constitutional amendments on the ballot this fall to shift appointment power for various positions, incl. judges, to legislature.

Both amendments just failed.

6. Trump's “Sanctuary City” Attack Lost

Oregon, which is far more conservative than its deep blue presidential election reputation suggests, had a chance to give in to Trump's fearmongering. “Sanctuary city” laws exist because without them, officers would be able to profile people based on their immigration status, and you can imagine how easily that leads to racial profiling. It's literally the kind of thinking that leads to “papers, please.” Oregon said no, and vowed to protect immigrants from this kind of discrimination.

7. Immigration Hardliners Lost

Neo-confederate Minnesotan Corey Stewart lost his race in Virginia as soon as polls closed. Ditto for Lou Barletta in Pennsylvania. Dave Brat, who took out former GOP House Leader Eric Cantor, lost his reelection bid in Virginia too. Kris Kobach lost by ten in Kansas. Kansas!

The only high-profile immigration hardliner to score a victory last night was Ron DeSantis in Florida, but as GOP flack Liz Mair wrote last night:

De Santis— who should have been a lay-up winner— looks like he's only just going to eke out a win. That's pretty bad news, actually, and indicates that he wasn't as strong a candidate as many people apparently thought.

It's hard not to hone in on De Santis' immigration positioning in a fairly heavily Hispanic state, in which he was running as someone heavily aligned with the President, who basically went on a warpath over immigration in the last 2 weeks of the campaign.

8. Michigan Created a Template for Restoring Voting Rights

This is, as we say in the business, a big freaking deal. Voting in America is unnecessarily difficult, as every instance of long lines is indicative of politicians doing what they can to restrict people's vote in order to protect their spot. Michigan passed a wealth of reforms that instantly changed the dynamic in the state, and it should be used as a model going forward.

9. Red States Voted for Expanded Health Care

If the Democratic elite doesn't get behind Medicare for All, then they're completely hopeless. How many more messages do you need that expanded health care coverage is a truly bipartisan, popular policy?

10. They Took Control of the House

I feel like this point is getting lost a bit in the dour mood about the possible stolen elections in Georgia and Florida and Beto's loss: the Democrats control part of the federal government now. They have power. Real, tangible, usablepower. Sure, they're not going to be able to get any liberal legislation passed, but they have other forms of power, and they have already pledged to use it.

This is a bright new day. We didn’t get everything we wanted. But it was a good night that demonstrated an immense amount of public enthusiasm to oppose Trump’s agenda, and we gained victories that we can build upon for 2020.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/the-10-best-results-for-the-democrats-from-last-ni.html

• Options
    Thumbs up!  I was wondering about the state houses, since that was lost with all the other news.  Very important, particularly with the census in just a few years.  
  • Options
    Hilarious.

For so many reasons.

And 'fake news' is getting old. It was cute for a while, but it's old now. Even the dumbest dummies that think he's awesome are kind of scratching their pea brains and tilting their heads to their sides when he tosses that one out there when he's under fire. He's going to have to come up with a new 'go to'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Hilarious.

For so many reasons.

And 'fake news' is getting old. It was cute for a while, but it's old now. Even the dumbest dummies that think he's awesome are kind of scratching their pea brains and tilting their heads to their sides when he tosses that one out there when he's under fire. He's going to have to come up with a new 'go to'.
    “Low IQ Maxine”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignin said:

The 10 Most Hopeful Results for the Democrats From Last Night’s Midterm Elections

Holy cow, was that a good night. I know it may not seem like it, because the most well-known candidates lost, the Senate was a GOP rout (as predicted) and Georgia and Florida disappointed, but that’s really about it for the bad news. There was a TON of good news from last night, from referendums affecting millions to historic victories for women and minorities who are leading a new generation of leadership into Congress. Even though Beto didn’t win, plenty more liberals did. Here are the ten most encouraging results from last night’s elections.

Despite heartbreaking losses for Andrew Gillum and Bill Nelson that were likely aided by voter suppression, a massively positive development on that front will change the dynamic for 2020. Over a million people who had their vote disenfranchised by Republicans gained the right to vote thanks to passage of Amendment 4.

Every Florida election seems to be 50.5% to 49.5%. Imagine what 1.4 million votes largely pointed in one direction will do to that dynamic.

As of this writing, the Colorado Senate, Minnesota House, New Hampshire House and Senate, New York Senate and Maine Senate flipped to the Dems with no comparable gains by Republicans. Democrats also broke supermajorities in the North Carolina House and Senate as well as the Oregon House. State level races always get forgotten on election nights, but from a policy perspective, America's federalist system allows for states to implement more immediately impactful policies than the federal government.

Speaking of immediately impactful policies, the Democrats have four new “trifectas”—states where they control the governor's office, House and Senate. Colorado, Illinois, New Mexico and New York are now under complete and total liberal rule. Also, Delaware protected their Democratic trifecta. Get creative, folks. We need big solutions to our big problems.

Every political science major has had to read Thomas Frank's famed book, What's the Matter with Kansas?, a study how the Republican Party got poor white folks in Kansas to vote against their economic interests. Kansas is quite literally a case study for modern Republicanism, which is what made two results so shocking. First, an openly gay Native American woman, Sharice Davids, took down a GOP incumbent.

In Kansas!

Secondly, the architect of Trump's fraudulent “voter fraud commission,” Kris Kobach, got obliterated in Kansas' governor's race, losing shortly after polls closed. In Kansas!

The Electoral Integrity Project rates North Carolina as “not a democracy,” thanks to the last decade of pure authoritarian rule. More GOP authoritarianism was on the ballot last night, and the Democratic Party fought back and won.

Plus, two measures were defeated that were opposed by 5 former governors (including two Republicans) that could only be called an attempted coup by the N.C. GOP.

The N.C. GOP has been locked into a power struggle with Gov. Cooper, passing bills to limit his power. The GOP put 2 constitutional amendments on the ballot this fall to shift appointment power for various positions, incl. judges, to legislature.

Oregon, which is far more conservative than its deep blue presidential election reputation suggests, had a chance to give in to Trump's fearmongering. “Sanctuary city” laws exist because without them, officers would be able to profile people based on their immigration status, and you can imagine how easily that leads to racial profiling. It's literally the kind of thinking that leads to “papers, please.” Oregon said no, and vowed to protect immigrants from this kind of discrimination.

Neo-confederate Minnesotan Corey Stewart lost his race in Virginia as soon as polls closed. Ditto for Lou Barletta in Pennsylvania. Dave Brat, who took out former GOP House Leader Eric Cantor, lost his reelection bid in Virginia too. Kris Kobach lost by ten in Kansas. Kansas!

The only high-profile immigration hardliner to score a victory last night was Ron DeSantis in Florida, but as GOP flack Liz Mair wrote last night:

De Santis— who should have been a lay-up winner— looks like he's only just going to eke out a win. That's pretty bad news, actually, and indicates that he wasn't as strong a candidate as many people apparently thought.

It's hard not to hone in on De Santis' immigration positioning in a fairly heavily Hispanic state, in which he was running as someone heavily aligned with the President, who basically went on a warpath over immigration in the last 2 weeks of the campaign.

This is, as we say in the business, a big freaking deal. Voting in America is unnecessarily difficult, as every instance of long lines is indicative of politicians doing what they can to restrict people's vote in order to protect their spot. Michigan passed a wealth of reforms that instantly changed the dynamic in the state, and it should be used as a model going forward.

If the Democratic elite doesn't get behind Medicare for All, then they're completely hopeless. How many more messages do you need that expanded health care coverage is a truly bipartisan, popular policy?

I feel like this point is getting lost a bit in the dour mood about the possible stolen elections in Georgia and Florida and Beto's loss: the Democrats control part of the federal government now. They have power. Real, tangible, usablepower. Sure, they're not going to be able to get any liberal legislation passed, but they have other forms of power, and they have already pledged to use it.

This is a bright new day. We didn’t get everything we wanted. But it was a good night that demonstrated an immense amount of public enthusiasm to oppose Trump’s agenda, and we gained victories that we can build upon for 2020.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/the-10-best-results-for-the-democrats-from-last-ni.html

The only Team Trump Treason slam I saw was the repub governor candidate be called a “Trump number one fan boy.” Everything else was education, access to it, the environment and healthcare. And the discrimination against LGBT community in employment ballot was rejected in MA. I’ve got the new dem slogan ready if you want to hear it?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignin said:

In Kansas!

The only Team Trump Treason slam I saw was the repub governor candidate be called a “Trump number one fan boy.” Everything else was education, access to it, the environment and healthcare. And the discrimination against LGBT community in employment ballot was rejected in MA. I’ve got the new dem slogan ready if you want to hear it?

Yes.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    edited November 2018
    Ok so Whitaker can fire Muller that would be insane if he tries to starve the Muller investigation budget he would have to answer to the house & senate as to why he’s refusing to fund it ...
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    How is this even possible?

White House pulls CNN's Jim Acosta's pass after contentious news conference

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/media/trump-cnn-press-conference/index.html
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,569

Hilarious.

For so many reasons.

No way. It works. It's a well-proven tactic, and the longer you dig into it the better it works.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:

And posters here and the repub voters that support Team Trump Treason think he’s “tough?” He can’t answer a question about his administration, never mind personally fire someone. What a total wuss. Who here is proud of Team Trump Treason?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    dignin said:

fascism

• Options
    A real standup guy, really. Can totally relate to the average American. No, really. He’s just like you and me. Really, he is. And so is Team Trump Treason.

https://apple.news/AUhEa55vvSWycdYZj_bVGsQ

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

fascism

I keep saying it, but the entire press corps should refuse to cover Trump in support of a fellow journalist. It isn't like any 'real news' comes from any arm of the WH. And the press has been denigrated so much that it is time that they refuse to cover the WH, even in gaggles. Or send interns if they must send anyone. 

CNN had 2 pipebombs sent to their work places. It's time to stop covering the damn rallies too. We know what bs is being said. Send a single person into the crowd with a smartphone and refuse to be penned up and abused. 

It's time.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    I’m unsure who is more delusional. Trump who claimed victory when losing the house or those here claiming a democrat blue wave when they lost seats in the senate and lost Florida, Ohio and Texas despite all that $. And now they think Beto is the next presidential Hope! Oh my.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    edited November 2018
    I’m unsure who is more delusional. Trump who claimed victory when losing the house or those here claiming a democrat blue wave when they lost seats in the senate and lost Florida, Ohio and Texas despite all that $. And now they think Beto is the next presidential Hope! Oh my.
    Since the Dems didn’t anticipate winning the senate, I’d venture a guess and say the president?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Since the Dems didn’t anticipate winning the senate, I’d venture a guess and say the president?
    I’m thinking it’s pretty equal between trump and the Canadians on this board 
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.