Options

1st Women's March January 21, 2017. 3rd Women's March January 19, 2019

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    edited January 2017
    congress.gov is good.

First time ever! I called my 3 Representatives about two H.R. items.

Inspired by the march I'm engaged! Yay!
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Ms. Haiku said:

congress.gov is good.

pjfan, if you wanted to know what the march was for, Haiku's final statement says it best.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    Ms. Haiku said:

congress.gov is good.

This is something I've heard from quite a few people lately. That for the first time in their lives they're getting involved and contacting their elected representatives to let them know how they feel.
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218

dignin said:

Protests are a cornerstone of our democracy. So glad this happened. #dumptrump

What do you think of the p hats?
    How do you feel about grabbing a woman's vagina against her will?

Oh right, your more offended by a woman who wears a pink hat with cat ears. Find another thread to troll.
    No, I'm more offended that the protest tolerated this from Madonna.
    http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/madonna-tells-donald-trump-to-suck-a-dick-at-dc-womens-march-news.27797.html?
    The protest meant and did nothing.
    Trump Supporters: "celebrities views don't matter"

Trump Supporters: "Look, what this celebrity said at the march. All marchers must agree"
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited January 2017
    Ms. Haiku said:

Well said, curmudgeoness!

I have read this entire thread while dialing and redialing Speaker Paul Ryan's office. Thank you curmudgeoness and Ms. Haiku for your beautiful posts! I was a Denver marcher. It was so peaceful considering we were packed like sardines for nearly two hours before we were able to move. I heard one unhappy person in all that time. Then we marched and chanted and raised our signs and voices, lifting each other up. I saw women with children, supportive men, disabled young women, women of color, people of all sexual identities, people of all religions, and senior women lamenting that they were protesting "the same shit" that they protested many, many years ago. It was glorious! And it reinforced to me that making all these phone calls are worth it! We won't be forced back, we won't be grabbed and we will be heard.
    Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_DvGP6Y4jQ
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

congress.gov is good.

:joy::clap:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Wow - I had tears in my eyes while reading curmudgeoness's post. Thank you!

People I've met since the election on FB and Twitter are very engaged - posting phones numbers to calls, groups to join. There's an interesting site called flippable.org and their plan is to "turn our country blue by focusing on state governments." (A version of what the Tea Party did.) It's pretty cool.

I plan to volunteer at Planned Parenthood, for example. My husband is talking about running for a local office (and he's a Republican).
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Utah marchers in the state capital today. The march that doesn't end.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

dignin said:

Protests are a cornerstone of our democracy. So glad this happened. #dumptrump

What do you think of the p hats?
    How do you feel about grabbing a woman's vagina against her will?

Oh right, your more offended by a woman who wears a pink hat with cat ears. Find another thread to troll.
    No, I'm more offended that the protest tolerated this from Madonna.
    http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/madonna-tells-donald-trump-to-suck-a-dick-at-dc-womens-march-news.27797.html?
    The protest meant and did nothing.
    Trump Supporters: "celebrities views don't matter"

Trump Supporters: "Look, what this celebrity said at the march. All marchers must agree"
    Unless those people are Baio, Nugent and Voight.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226

mickeyrat said:

and there you have it. very well said. thank you.

be prepared for another asinine question though.

I totally agree. An awesome post that explains things very well.
    However, I disagree that there will be "another asinine question" coming from the Canadian trump supporter. There will be many many more. So I suggest ignoring them.

Thanks again curmudgeoness for the intelligent and thoughtful post.
    And thank you for the kind words.

I have no plans to feed trolls. I would welcome a thoughtful discussion of differing political philosophies, or a thoughtful discussion about realistic ways to solve challenges facing our country, but I quit Facebook a few months ago because I had had my fill of name-calling and negative behavior on both sides. And I can't count on having a thoughtful conversation with people who use phrases like "butt-hurt" as arguments.

I'm glad I went. I'm glad my husband was eager to join me. But it was just one day, and we all know that we have work to do.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Nice mess you all left. Slobs.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I did not march, but I have been doing the "badger the official" thing for a long time, and it really does make a difference. Keep at it!!

Indivisibleguide.com is an excellent resource that popped up after the election. I highly recommend bookmarking and/or printing it and perhaps forming a local group to pool your efforts. I'm in the early stages of that.

Thank you to all the ladies and gents who got out there and who have now been fired up to keep going!! Your words and thoughts here are inspiring!! Much admiration!!!

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    unsung said:

Nice mess you all left. Slobs.

That's all you can say !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Let's call this march what it is, anti-trump.

Some really stupid signs on par with the "get a brain morans" sign. One person said she wished she had the same rights as a gun. Oh, so you want to be banned from airports, schools, govt buildings, taken in public without a permit, etc. Just funny stuff.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    It makes you wonder how it got to the point of inaugurating President Trump for some masses to act.
    It is refreshing that people of all ages are getting involved in politics now but for how long? I would like to see some follow up posts 3yrs from now to see how some posters recharged activism is going since this march.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758

It makes you wonder how it got to the point of inaugurating President Trump for some masses to act.
    It is refreshing that people of all ages are getting involved in politics now but for how long? I would like to see some follow up posts 3yrs from now to see how some posters recharged activism is going since this march.

Game on. Let's keep this thread alive!
  • Options
  • Options
    Enkidu said:
    LOL, snopes. Funded by soros and addicted to hookers.
  • Options
    "Largest audience to to ever witness an inauguration." Sean Spicer. #alternativefacts #spicerfacts

Ha ha ha ha ha.

• Options
    Sorry is this has been posted, but someone just sent it to me. From Facebook:

Senator Chris McDaniel
    Yesterday at 12:47 ·
    So a group of unhappy liberal women marched in Washington DC. We shouldn't be surprised; almost all liberal women are unhappy. Perhaps there's a correlation.

Nevertheless, I'm fascinated to see them exercise their First Amendment rights (however objectionable the message).

But I do have a question: if they can afford all those piercings, tattoos, body paintings, signs, and plane tickets, then why do they want us to pay for their birth control?
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    unsung said:

Enkidu said:
    LOL, snopes. Funded by soros and addicted to hookers.
    LOL you suck Koch.
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

"Largest audience to to ever witness an inauguration." Sean Spicer. #alternativefacts #spicerfacts

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Actually I believe one of the NK Kims or Hitler has that title.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    Try as I might,
    I just can't think of any public space I could say "F, you, s.$k a d, and I have thought an awful lot about blowing up the whitehouse" without being arrested or detained.
    Can anyone?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Some really stupid signs on par with the "get a brain morans" sign. One person said she wished she had the same rights as a gun. Oh, so you want to be banned from airports, schools, govt buildings, taken in public without a permit, etc. Just funny stuff.

I loved that sign. I thought t was actually 'grab a brain morans' .

Was that you in that picture? With the USA bandana?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937

Try as I might,
    I just can't think of any public space I could say "F, you, s.$k a d, and I have thought an awful lot about blowing up the whitehouse" without being arrested or detained.
    Can anyone?

I guess she was just tired of being politically correct - what's the problem? After all, Trump could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose any voters, when he's done grabbing women by the pussy. The fact that the nobility and decorum of Donald Trump and Madonna are comparable speaks volumes.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Enkidu said:

Sorry is this has been posted, but someone just sent it to me. From Facebook:

Senator Chris McDaniel
    Yesterday at 12:47 ·
    So a group of unhappy liberal women marched in Washington DC. We shouldn't be surprised; almost all liberal women are unhappy. Perhaps there's a correlation.

Nevertheless, I'm fascinated to see them exercise their First Amendment rights (however objectionable the message).

But I do have a question: if they can afford all those piercings, tattoos, body paintings, signs, and plane tickets, then why do they want us to pay for their birth control?

Damn.

What a judgmental, ignorant fuck.

"fascinated to see them exercise their rights" ... like it's so far-fetched? Liberal or not.

And, the women I saw at the many gatherings looked happy as hell to be there.
  • Options

unsung said:

I loved that sign. I thought t was actually 'grab a brain morans' .

Was that you in that picture? With the USA bandana?
    Really? That's the best you can do?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    lol some of you guys are upset or jealous that over 1 million yes let it sink into your heads over 1 million bodies got out into the streets to tell president Bafoon that we don't like any of his policies , it's not a farce it happened and wether you wanna believe it or not it's real even today marches happened !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Cool story bro.

In news that matters we are out of the TPP!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

My husband and I went to the San Diego march. Over 40,000 people were there, felt to us like closer to 50,000. It was a diverse crowd, all genders, all ages, all colors, all sexual preferences. No, there was no violence -- this was a family march as much as anything. There were multi-generational groups of women, parents with babies in strollers and backpacks. People were pretty chill, really.

"Why didn't these people vote?" Um, we did. I did. My husband did. Every woman -- and every man -- I know did. Let's not forget that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by a margin of 2.9 million.

"What are we hoping to accomplish?" Big things, small things. First of all, for many people, it helps to know that they are not alone. Beyond that, the behavior that the newest occupant of the White House displayed while campaigning and encouraged in others left members of many groups -- women, LGBTQ+ individuals, people of color, non-Christians, people with disabilities -- feeling threatened and afraid. Most posters here are male, and I don't know how to convey to you what it feels like from a woman's perspective. But, I am strong, athletic, and larger than the average American male, and I have had to work hard over the last two months to not view every male I meet as a potential threat; snide jokes about safe spaces aside, the new president's behavior on the campaign trail was deeply unnerving and triggering for women who have been assaulted (and that's a lot of women). Joining a large group of people with similar values and concerns made me feel less vulnerable and less isolated. Perhaps that's an illusion of safety; perhaps my anxieties are illusions of danger. But addressing my fears and anxieties in a positive, productive way is important to me, important for my physical and emotional well-being. I have to think that those who are more vulnerable than I am also gained some strength from the supportive, sympathetic crowds.

"What happens when the march is over?" Probably what has been happening since November 9th, actually. People -- women -- have been mobilizing. Different people are taking action in different ways. Some are getting involved in politics; some are writing letters and badgering members of Congress; some are taking steps to be more visible allies to vulnerable populations; some are engaging more with causes that are important to them; others are giving more to charity, volunteering more, unfucking the world one person at a time. Just because we aren't all notifying you about what we're doing doesn't mean that nothing is happening.

"Why couldn't you wait at least a week?" -- Ah, yes, why can't we just give him a chance? Gosh, he has had all kinds of opportunities to modify his behavior, act more presidential, shut down his Twitter account and get off the damn phone, yet he has chosen not to. When someone has shown you who they really are, believe them. If I came home and found someone dousing my house with gasoline and brandishing a box of matches, saying "I'm going to burn your house to the ground," I would not wait until my house was ablaze to take action, I would not say to myself, "Oh, maybe they don't really mean it, maybe they aren't going to light those matches."

As for Madonna and Michael Moore, their opinions don't matter to me. I don't care enough about what they have to say to look up what they said. Michael Moore, like the new president, is all about himself, first and foremost.

"You're just upset because your side lost. Get over it!" No. No. No. It's more than that. Had Jeb Bush or Mitt Romney or John Kasich been elected, I would have been disappointed, I would have disagreed with a number of their policies, but I would not have been scared. I would be confident that they would serve competently and ably, that they would respect the gravity and responsibility of the presidency. I would not worry that they would start a war in the middle of the night over an insulting tweet. I would not be marching.

I read an interesting article in the Washington Post this morning, about hyperbolic language, social media, 24/7 cable news, widening political gulfs, etc. The author mentioned the apocalyptic fundraising emails designed to spur people into chipping in an extra $20 (I hate those). I thought about Bill Maher apologizing to Mitt Romney for how hard he went after Romney in previous elections. Both sides have run about for years, screaming that the other side is out to destroy the country. And now, here we are, with a newly-elected president who is uniquely lacking in both experience and temperament. And I look to the writings of conservatives and libertarians whom I respect, as a reality check, to make sure I am not dwelling in an echo chamber. And what I read scares me.

So, yes, I went to the march yesterday, and I was glad I did, and it was neither the first nor the last action I have taken or will take in response to the election results.

This WMA stands in solidarity with you and everyone else that showed the world the real silent majority on Saturday. Bravo