1st Women's March January 21, 2017. 3rd Women's March January 19, 2019

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
    edited January 2017

Ok, so the march is over now. What has changed besides the memory of Madonna saying “To our detractors that insist that this march will never add up to anything, f--- you! F--- you! It is the beginning of much-needed change.”?

:)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,934

So near as I can tell this march is finished now.
    What has changed?

Ok, so the march is over now. What has changed besides the memory of Madonna saying “To our detractors that insist that this march will never add up to anything, f--- you! F--- you! It is the beginning of much-needed change.”?

Pjfan, do you feel that every successful protest in history led to immediate results? Was it right after approaching tanks with flowers that the Vietnam war was halted? Do you think the apartheid era was finished after one protest? It's incredibly shortsighted of you to anticipate that people stop marching, go home, mission accomplished.

These marches had predominantly a social message, to be used to prevent anticipated human rights abandonments. The message was - if our human rights are threatened (future tense), we are and will remain engaged citizens who will not allow this silently, and will fight the presence of divisive messages with ones of unity to apply pressure to force deviations in political directions. The social act was to re-teach the populace the act of peaceful and organized protest, and given the scope of this protest (which is fairly unprecedented in recent American history), this protest has potential to be a success if subsequent engagement and proper protest increases. Of course, as one of many things which could raise subsequent civilian engagement and protest efforts, direct correlation is almost impossible, but once again, with as many attendees who formerly did not put in effort to protest (case in point - it was unprecedented in scale), the likelihood is in favour of an impactful event.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    benjs said:

What has changed?

Pjfan, do you feel that every successful protest in history led to immediate results? Was it right after approaching tanks with flowers that the Vietnam war was halted? Do you think the apartheid era was finished after one protest? It's incredibly shortsighted of you to anticipate that people stop marching, go home, mission accomplished.

These marches had predominantly a social message, to be used to prevent anticipated human rights abandonments. The message was - if our human rights are threatened (future tense), we are and will remain engaged citizens who will not allow this silently, and will fight the presence of divisive messages with ones of unity to apply pressure to force deviations in political directions. The social act was to re-teach the populace the act of peaceful and organized protest, and given the scope of this protest (which is fairly unprecedented in recent American history), this protest has potential to be a success if subsequent engagement and proper protest increases. Of course, as one of many things which could raise subsequent civilian engagement and protest efforts, direct correlation is almost impossible, but once again, with as many attendees who formerly did not put in effort to protest (case in point - it was unprecedented in scale), the likelihood is in favour of an impactful event.
    When the Tea Party started up their protests....Did they seek or received immediate results? I don't think they did to me what their protest garnered was attention to their causes and for the most part they got it.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2017
    benjs said:

What has changed?

I, for one, adamantly support the right to protest and am glad that so many people were willing to exercise that right. Fortunately, it seems like it was actually a peaceful protest yesterday for the most part. What chaps me are the numbnuts that act out violently like we saw on Inauguration Day. We should all support shutting that shit down as it undermines the causes and right to protest all around. As far as Madonna goes...she is just an asshat and the presence of people like her also undermine the legitimacy of such protests.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,934
    PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

What has changed?

I, for one, adamantly support the right to protest and am glad that so many people were willing to exercise that right. Fortunately, it seems like it was actually a peaceful protest yesterday for the most part. What chaps me are the numbnuts that act out violently like we saw on Inauguration Day. We should all support shutting that shit down as it undermines the causes and right to protest all around.
    Agreed. I read that what enabled Hitler to declare martial law was the violent protests. True or not, it is a scary thought. What's scarier is thinking back to the '53 coup d'état orchestrated by the US to overthrow the Iranian regime at the time - a reminder that the US has not historically been above inciting violence to achieve a goal.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

What has changed?

I, for one, adamantly support the right to protest and am glad that so many people were willing to exercise that right. Fortunately, it seems like it was actually a peaceful protest yesterday for the most part. What chaps me are the numbnuts that act out violently like we saw on Inauguration Day. We should all support shutting that shit down as it undermines the causes and right to protest all around.
    Agreed. I read that what enabled Hitler to declare martial law was the violent protests. True or not, it is a scary thought. What's scarier is thinking back to the '53 coup d'état orchestrated by the US to overthrow the Iranian regime at the time - a reminder that the US has not historically been above inciting violence to achieve a goal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVMGKOFIwY
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited January 2017

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Does anyone know what rights they think he'll take away? I didn't vote for him by the way. I really want to know. I'm having a hard time comprehending why this would be happening in day two???? Everyone seems to be jumping for joy about it.

The right not to have their pussies grabbed without permission.
    If ANY person at the protest today supported Hillary, they were ok with a woman who's husband got a blowjob from an intern and lied about it. Billy Clinton was a bigger woman abuser than trump and you best not support a woman who was ok sharing her bed for years and years with him. Hypocrites.

This is a great point. Well said
    Ok, so if that's the case

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^
    You had no idea that Madonna was going to be part of the march?

Celebrities weren't the reason I went. I remembered that Katy Perry was going.
    What specific reason was it that you went? What were you protesting for exactly.
    Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    Where have these historic crowds been since they clearly were not at the voting booth?
    what part of 2.9 million LESS votes dont you get? Precedent Trump received 2.9 frwer votes than Clinton.
    What part don't you get that President Trump won with those numbers?
    Trolling prettyl hardcore today PJfan. Don't let the karma bite you back.
    That was very fox newish with the way you quoted me to fit your purpose.
    Sorry @mcgruff10. Accidental. Didn't mean to include that. Sometimes hard to catch those on my phone display. My disdain lies with PJfans trolling.
    Why is it trolling to question what is going on and to give your opinion.
    Because his opinion is wrong time and time again. But you're drunk on kool aid so you defend him of course.

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Does anyone know what rights they think he'll take away? I didn't vote for him by the way. I really want to know. I'm having a hard time comprehending why this would be happening in day two???? Everyone seems to be jumping for joy about it.

If ANY person at the protest today supported Hillary, they were ok with a woman who's husband got a blowjob from an intern and lied about it. Billy Clinton was a bigger woman abuser than trump and you best not support a woman who was ok sharing her bed for years and years with him. Hypocrites.

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^

What specific reason was it that you went? What were you protesting for exactly.
    Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    Where have these historic crowds been since they clearly were not at the voting booth?
    what part of 2.9 million LESS votes dont you get? Precedent Trump received 2.9 frwer votes than Clinton.
    Sorry @mcgruff10. Accidental. Didn't mean to include that. Sometimes hard to catch those on my phone display. My disdain lies with PJfans trolling.
    Why is it trolling to question what is going on and to give your opinion. I'm still trying to figure out why they felt it necessary to do the march and protest on day two of his presidency. Did this have to do with past and present administrations taking women's rights away.
    Look at trump's policies as well as his own conduct toward women if you need an answer to your question.
    What policies are in place as of the day of the march?
    I can see the trump voters have really taken Obama's hope and change slogan to heart. They seem to be hoping for the best despite their vote for someone who has brought on #trumpregrets. And I see you skipped the part where I brought up trump's conduct towards women. I understand it's difficult for trump voters to admit they voted for a sex offender while at the same time they probably check the web page weekly to see if any sex offenders have moved into the neighborhood.
    I saw one Trumpgret yesterday on its official Facebook page and one person gave up on Trump because of his Kanye meeting. That alone gives me hope and laughter. :lol:

Ms. Haiku said:

So when does this march end? I mean does someone say "ok folks, thanks for coming, time to go home now"?
    The longer this goes on the greater chance it will end in violence.

Nope, we just kept walking. I consider it the march that didn't end. There were so many people chanting could be heard from five different streets meeting at a major traffic area. My twin and I stopped at the White House to end it for us. I decided to go to Dupont Circle for something to eat, and I guess other people did too. The chants continued as we walked away from the White House for about 20 minutes. No violence. Awesome day!
    That is awesome. Helping the DC economy. Hopefully all the marchers contributed to the local economy as you did. Perhaps that will help raise the stagnated median income of the country. In one day, you may have accomplished more then Obama did in 8 years.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkWH8DB7b0
  • tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^

Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    Why is it trolling to question what is going on and to give your opinion. I'm still trying to figure out why they felt it necessary to do the march and protest on day two of his presidency. Did this have to do with past and present administrations taking women's rights away.
    Look at trump's policies as well as his own conduct toward women if you need an answer to your question.
    I can see the trump voters have really taken Obama's hope and change slogan to heart. They seem to be hoping for the best despite their vote for someone who has brought on #trumpregrets. And I see you skipped the part where I brought up trump's conduct towards women. I understand it's difficult for trump voters to admit they voted for a sex offender while at the same time they probably check the web page weekly to see if any sex offenders have moved into the neighborhood.
    I saw one Trumpgret yesterday on its official Facebook page and one person gave up on Trump because of his Kanye meeting. That alone gives me hope and laughter. :lol:
    Could it be that this person is... a racist?
    edited January 2017

I'm not sure your point (other than correctly pointing out the hypocrisy of the needed fame mirror that the protestors needed). It sounded like it was an enormous group of people that for the most part were peaceful (you're always going to have a few things that happen) trying to get their message out. Why does that bother you so much?

What I find ironic is everyone is trying to replicate what MLK did and it's ineffective because where he was marching for real change, the copycats have no real clear agenda other than their perceived persecution (whereas MLK's was real and thus why beyond his own force of nature his cause was so effective and still resonates to this day).

They want to protect abortion rights and planned parenthood? Ummmm. Do they know that 5 of the justices that voted to uphold Roe still sit on the Court and 2 others including the Chief Justice are not staunchly against it? As for planned parenthood, do the marchers know that if 100 of the celebrities that patted themselves on the back rather than effecting real change each pledged $5 million dollars a year, they could fill the federal funding gap if that were to be ceased. That would also alleviate half a billion in deficit spending each year to the growing deficit. Not saying the Feds should stop funding it, but just pointing out what should be obvious to those great Americans such as Madonna if they are so aggrieved and wanted to really help in a meaningful way.

And under the did you know column - did you know it was Richard Nixon who signed Title X giving federal funds to planned parenthood? Oh the horror.

Anyway, I know it was about more than that, but I think it's great folks got together and did what they wanted to have their voices heard in a peaceful way while obstructing people's daily lives as little as possible. Some of the idiots that have been rioting over Trumps election in Portland, NYC, etc over the last couple months should take note. Whether you think it's effective or not is a fine debate, but you seem to take it a step further in your litany of posts as if they shouldn't have done it. Who cares?
    Cog dis Goebbelsism is a serious mental disorder. Try calling your doctor for medication. Oh wait. Trump and Ryan just eliminated the ACA. No hope for you. You're stuck with the Trump kool aid.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^

Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    You don't have to be white or any particular party to hate Kanye. Remember when Obama called him a jackass? :lol:
  • tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^

Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    You don't have to be white or any particular party to hate Kanye. Remember when Obama called him a jackass? :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbWxe31aNR8
  • tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^

Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    Because his opinion is wrong time and time again. But you're drunk on kool aid so you defend him of course.
    I did have a couple of drinks last night but not kool aid. I only drink Eddie kool aid. I don't know who that is or care. I'm not defending them. I'm just saying everyone has a right to their opinion and it's not wrong just because it doesn't match yours. it's an opinion. For me I believe trolling is when someone pops in and makes personal attacks on someone or some groups etc.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,604

g under p said:

Free said:

Free Melania!

I wouldn't ever worry about Melania, never under estimate a woman they're some very smart people. She has the President right where she wants him, I believe there's more to her wanting to stay in NYC with her son until this school terms ends. She'll probably tell the President 50-100 million or I'm seeking a divorce before whenever you leave office. He will give it to her just avoid the embarrassment of a divorce while in office even though I'm sure there's a prenuptial agreement somewhere. To me she appears to be one unhappy woman and for now she's doing what she's told to do but just wait, she has time on her hands.

Peace
    How does she appear unhappy to you? I love how people attribute feelings to others to fit their needed sense of reality.

As to not moving to DC and not really involving their 10 yo in the adult pagentry, bravo to them as parents. I'm not saying right or wrong, but it's good they're making their own decisions about their child rather than being beholden to tradition and exposing their child who has already had a rather unique upbringing to the additional media and social scrutiny the office brings. And while he brings even more on himself (though honestly, how much more than the Presidency can you get?), controlling that aspect of their child's life is impressive. And besides, he probably has all the tambourines he needs.....

She's sad and holding him hostage. Too funny. Maybe it's true, but I have no idea how you could possible conjecture that seriously from what you have access to.

And btw, I think the one thing we can all agree on (and Bill Clinton has already cast his eye vote on), this is one impressively good looking White House.... it is already definitely best ever in something. So there's that.
    I'm sure playing the role of Devil's Advocate in here is fun, but you're really stretching in this one.
  • I attended the march in DC yesterday, and am so grateful to have been there. The like minded folks that I met were the best, and I felt that many of us were coming together in peace.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^

Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    I did have a couple of drinks last night but not kool aid. I only drink Eddie kool aid. I don't know who that is or care. I'm not defending them. I'm just saying everyone has a right to their opinion and it's not wrong just because it doesn't match yours. it's an opinion. For me I believe trolling is when someone pops in and makes personal attacks on someone or some groups etc.
    You can have an opinion, but that doesn't automatically make you right. Some opinions are grotesquely wrong and those types of opinions should be challenged.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Gregg Popovich gets it

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2017/01/gregg_popovich.html

""Their message is obvious," Popovich said. "That our president comes in with the lowest (approval) rating of anybody whoever came into the office. And there's a majority of people out there, since Hillary won the popular vote, that don't buy his act. And I just wish that he was more - had the ability to be more - mature enough to do something that really is inclusive rather than just talking and saying, 'I'm going to include everybody.' He could talk to the groups that he disrespected and maligned during the primary and really make somebody believe it.

"And what really bothers me are the people around him, the Sean Spicers, the Kellyanne Conways the Reince Priebuses, who know who he is and actually have the cynical approach and disingenuous attitude to really defend him and make him look like he didn't say what he said. When he's mad at the media for them reporting what he said, it just boggles my mind.

''When Kellyanne Conway said the other day he wasn't really making fun of the handicapped person. It's incredible. It really makes you wonder how far would someone go to actually cover for somebody that much. I think the comment was,' You have to look in his heart. You don't know what's in his heart. He wouldn't do that.' But he did it.''

''Instead of honoring the 117 people behind him where he was speaking, he talked about the size of the crowd (attending his inauguration)," Popovich said. "That's worrisome. I'd just feel better if somebody was in that position that showed the maturity and psychological and emotional level of somebody that was his age.

''It's dangerous and it doesn't do us any good. I hope he does a great job, but there's a difference between respecting the office of the presidency and who occupies it.''
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Gregg Popovich gets it

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2017/01/gregg_popovich.html

""Their message is obvious," Popovich said. "That our president comes in with the lowest (approval) rating of anybody whoever came into the office. And there's a majority of people out there, since Hillary won the popular vote, that don't buy his act. And I just wish that he was more - had the ability to be more - mature enough to do something that really is inclusive rather than just talking and saying, 'I'm going to include everybody.' He could talk to the groups that he disrespected and maligned during the primary and really make somebody believe it.

"And what really bothers me are the people around him, the Sean Spicers, the Kellyanne Conways the Reince Priebuses, who know who he is and actually have the cynical approach and disingenuous attitude to really defend him and make him look like he didn't say what he said. When he's mad at the media for them reporting what he said, it just boggles my mind.

''When Kellyanne Conway said the other day he wasn't really making fun of the handicapped person. It's incredible. It really makes you wonder how far would someone go to actually cover for somebody that much. I think the comment was,' You have to look in his heart. You don't know what's in his heart. He wouldn't do that.' But he did it.''

''Instead of honoring the 117 people behind him where he was speaking, he talked about the size of the crowd (attending his inauguration)," Popovich said. "That's worrisome. I'd just feel better if somebody was in that position that showed the maturity and psychological and emotional level of somebody that was his age.

''It's dangerous and it doesn't do us any good. I hope he does a great job, but there's a difference between respecting the office of the presidency and who occupies it.''

Well put POP......Just how far those who speak for this President will go to cover what he says and does? No one REALLY knows but they're off to a spectacular start....Unreal what has transpired SO FAR.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    dignin said:

Awesome!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,036
    Protests are a cornerstone of our democracy. So glad this happened. #dumptrump
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited January 2017
    g under p said:

Gregg Popovich gets it

Peace

It's the same as when people defend Hillary Clinton for the things she's said and done. People are only going to see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

Post edited by LongestRoad on
  • tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

^^^

Reproductive freedom.
    Understanding that.
    This didn't come out sounding how I meant it. It sounded mean. I read a lot of the posts and it seemed like they were more asking questions. I don't know who pjfan is but they have a right to their opinion just as you do. They aren't wrong just because they don't agree with you. That's their belief they have a right to just as you have a right to yours. otherwise, we might be living like the radicals are living, killing one another and the innocent people who don't believe as they believe. I am pro life. I believe that people should use birth control but not use abortions as a form a birth control. If the Mothers life is truly in danger then that would be up to the mother and doctors to decide what happens. I think its great that people came together to march but maybe it would have been better to wait and see what happens. The people that were demonstrating, breaking windows and vandalizing on the day of the inauguration are only harming their cause. I listened to Trumps full speech today. It sounded promising, although they all sound promising. We'll see.
  • Protests are a cornerstone of our democracy. So glad this happened. #dumptrump

What do you think of the p hats?
  • Actually,
    Does anyone on this thread have an opinion on the p hats?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

How do you feel about grabbing a woman's vagina against her will?

Oh right, your more offended by a woman who wears a pink hat with cat ears. Find another thread to troll.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    dignin said:

How do you feel about grabbing a woman's vagina against her will?

Oh right, your more offended by a woman who wears a pink hat with cat ears. Find another thread to troll.
    No, I'm more offended that the protest tolerated this from Madonna.
    http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/madonna-tells-donald-trump-to-suck-a-dick-at-dc-womens-march-news.27797.html?
    The protest meant and did nothing.