Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

it doesn't matter if Jack was responsible for keeping them together. the hall has nothing to do with that. if it did, they'd have to induct managers, wives, friends, yoga instructors, psychologists, Metallica's therapist, etc, etc.

My comment was in response to SC who said I romanticized JI's role in the band.

I'm not saying JI deserves to be inducted w/ the band, I'm saying DA's contribution is way overstated as compared to JI.

I'm surprised ANY drummers besides Cameron are getting in.

well, the only role you stated about jack was the spiritual one, which I don't think qualifies as a consideration. Anyway, we might be talking apples and oranges here.

I think Dave's contributions were huge, drumming wise. they played their heaviest shit when they needed to play their heaviest shit. not that this SHOULD matter, but when speaking of the Hall, it seems to: he played on their two biggest commerically successful albums that were not Ten.
    I also quoted Brendan O'Brien as saying the band was barely communicating at the time, but seemed to act professional around JI - I don't think that quote should be overlooked or dismissed.

IDK.... read the article I linked if you get the chance. That, and other articles I read not too long ago paint a picture of a band on the verge of imploding, and it seems like JI brought them back together (Jeff didn't even know the band had started sessions on NC, it sound's like a pretty dark time for them - I'll see if I can't dig up the other articles I recall reading a little later)

As someone else mentioned, I feel like VS & Vitalogy were going to happen regardless of whatever drummer they found. After reading the articles I did, it seemed like NC & Yield never would have happened had JI not come along.

Regarding their meteoric rise to fame during DA's tenure - I think that had as much if not more to do with the whole grunge / alternative movement of the time as it did whomever was behind the kit. I feel like it would have happened regardless of who played drums at the time, that's my $0.02.

Peace.
    I don't disagree with Jack's influence on the band's communication skills. All I'm saying is that I don't think that should factor in to who gets into the hall, that's all.

I think Matt should be the only drummer inducted. He helped them out before any other drummer, and he's been with them the longest. But if you induct Dave K, you open a can of worms for the others.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

it doesn't matter if Jack was responsible for keeping them together. the hall has nothing to do with that. if it did, they'd have to induct managers, wives, friends, yoga instructors, psychologists, Metallica's therapist, etc, etc.

I'm not saying JI deserves to be inducted w/ the band, I'm saying DA's contribution is way overstated as compared to JI.

well, the only role you stated about jack was the spiritual one, which I don't think qualifies as a consideration. Anyway, we might be talking apples and oranges here.

I think Dave's contributions were huge, drumming wise. they played their heaviest shit when they needed to play their heaviest shit. not that this SHOULD matter, but when speaking of the Hall, it seems to: he played on their two biggest commerically successful albums that were not Ten.
    I also quoted Brendan O'Brien as saying the band was barely communicating at the time, but seemed to act professional around JI - I don't think that quote should be overlooked or dismissed.

IDK.... read the article I linked if you get the chance. That, and other articles I read not too long ago paint a picture of a band on the verge of imploding, and it seems like JI brought them back together (Jeff didn't even know the band had started sessions on NC, it sound's like a pretty dark time for them - I'll see if I can't dig up the other articles I recall reading a little later)

As someone else mentioned, I feel like VS & Vitalogy were going to happen regardless of whatever drummer they found. After reading the articles I did, it seemed like NC & Yield never would have happened had JI not come along.

Regarding their meteoric rise to fame during DA's tenure - I think that had as much if not more to do with the whole grunge / alternative movement of the time as it did whomever was behind the kit. I feel like it would have happened regardless of who played drums at the time, that's my $0.02.

Peace.
    I don't disagree with Jack's influence on the band's communication skills. All I'm saying is that I don't think that should factor in to who gets into the hall, that's all.

I think Matt should be the only drummer inducted. He helped them out before any other drummer, and he's been with them the longest. But if you induct Dave K, you open a can of worms for the others.
    I agree on both of your points.

I predicted (wrongly) that Matt would be the only drummer inducted w/ the band, and I would have been fine with that. I don't necessarily care that DK gets in, but to me it's an odd inclusion as compared to what DA & JI both brought to the table.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I really couldn't care less if Dave A is included... I guess I care a little more about Jack, but meh, whatever. Seems to me that the Hall of Fame has rules, and they are following the rules. Good enough for me, and PJ should respect the rules. I assume that rule is to prevent a dozen people from one band being inducted, even if half of them barely did anything over the years. Makes sense.
    I can't fucking believe anyone is suggesting that PJ boycott the HoF for the sake of Dave A, lmao.

yes boycott for Dave A! lol
    In fact, please please please don't try to get tickets for the ceremony. And obviously if your fan club number is below 139XXX you should quit the 10c immediately.
    Sage advice.
  • Options

Peace.

I agree on both of your points.

I predicted (wrongly) that Matt would be the only drummer inducted w/ the band, and I would have been fine with that. I don't necessarily care that DK gets in, but to me it's an odd inclusion as compared to what DA & JI both brought to the table.
    agreed.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451

Peace.
    Are you saying all drummers are the same?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Why would you want to sit in the audience and watch a band you were fired from be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Lol, yeah really. Sounds worse than not being invited!
    I gather he just wants to be acknowledged. maybe he wouldn't care so much if they didn't brush it off so stupidly in PJ20.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    frisbiecfrisbiec Seattle, WA Posts: 112
    Where's the outrage for the omission of Matt Chamberlain? I mean he was in the Alive video and he suggested the band check out Dave I can't pronounce his name.
    Remove yourself from comfort . . . all progress involves risk
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,932
    A lot of cross posting on duplicate threads. Merged discussions
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Sea said:

A lot of cross posting on duplicate threads. Merged discussions
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines

Thanks Sea
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
  • Options
  • Options
    not even close, sorry
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I really couldn't care less if Dave A is included... I guess I care a little more about Jack, but meh, whatever. Seems to me that the Hall of Fame has rules, and they are following the rules. Good enough for me, and PJ should respect the rules. I assume that rule is to prevent a dozen people from one band being inducted, even if half of them barely did anything over the years. Makes sense.
    I can't fucking believe anyone is suggesting that PJ boycott the HoF for the sake of Dave A, lmao.

that's the thing, though. both Dave A and Jack fit the criteria (either being a founding member or being on 2 or more albums). besides that, the hall just inducts whoever the fuck they want, with no input from the band themselves.

The Rolling Stones have 8 members inducted.
    The Yardbirds have 7, as do Sly and the Family Stone
    Grateful Dead have 12.
    Parliament Funkadelic have 16.
    Fleetwood Mac have 8.
    Earth Wind and Fire have 9.
    Skynyrd have 9.

and the list goes on.

To me just induct Matt, not Dave K, or induct them all (not Matt Chamberlain).
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Spoken said:

Peace.
    Are you saying all drummers are the same?
    I think they're saying there's a difference between the influence the different drummers had on the band, musically/personally, and what the band experienced in terms of fame. The latter was more inevitable due to a wider array of circumstances than who was drumming at the time.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    mcgruff10 said:

Is Pearl Jam a better (and I know completely different) live band now or 1994?

NOW. No question whatsoever
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    MP188882 said:

I think it's poor taste for Dave A. to make a comment the day of the list of POSSIBLE inductees, like he wants his due NOW! Let the chips fall dude. See what happens. Great drummer, but in the history of this band, he was a splash in the pan. My three cents. They need to Hit Em' With The Hein.

http://www.alternativenation.net/dave-abbruzzese-responds-pearl-jam-rock-hall-fame-snub/

For those looking for Dave's comments. He's also on FB.
    What a loser.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    frisbiec said:

Where's the outrage for the omission of Matt Chamberlain? I mean he was in the Alive video and he suggested the band check out Dave I can't pronounce his name.

It's his punishment for suggesting Dave. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

that's the thing, though. both Dave A and Jack fit the criteria (either being a founding member or being on 2 or more albums). besides that, the hall just inducts whoever the fuck they want, with no input from the band themselves.

Grateful Dead have 12.
    Fleetwood Mac have 8.
    Skynyrd have 9.

and the list goes on.

I'm sorry, I must have relied on a bad source then. I thought the rule was the founding member and the current member only? If that's not true, then I dunno, I guess it's arbitrary and that's their rule. Basically, I support whatever the hell the HoH wants to do, since it's their decision. I just looked up their own little blurb about it, which isn't very informative. It just says: "Artists—a group encompassing performers, composers and/or musicians—become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll." So if they have no other rules about it, then perhaps they don't feel that Dave A and Jack Irons had enough impact on the development of the band or something. Maybe not enough song-writing contributions? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not personal, and therefore, I don't give a shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Grateful Dead have 12.
    Fleetwood Mac have 8.
    Skynyrd have 9.

and the list goes on.

I'm sorry, I must have relied on a bad source then. I thought the rule was the founding member and the current member only? If that's not true, then I dunno, I guess it's arbitrary and that's their rule. Basically, I support whatever the hell the HoH wants to do, since it's their decision. I just looked up their own little blurb about it, which isn't very informative. It just says: "Artists—a group encompassing performers, composers and/or musicians—become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll." So if they have no other rules about it, then perhaps they don't feel that Dave A and Jack Irons had enough impact on the development of the band or something. Maybe not enough song-writing contributions? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not personal, and therefore, I don't give a shit.
    well, yeah, I'm sure it's not personal. but it's irritating to fans when they give no logical reasons for inducting/not inducting certain former members of a group. or even current members of a group. there's a lot of criticism because it's owned and started by a non-musician and there has been loads of controversy over groups snubbed, and them basically putting one group in over another to create a balance (like inducting a rap act instead of a rock act to make it look more diverse). it's stupid.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jp307677 said:

MP188882 said:

I think it's poor taste for Dave A. to make a comment the day of the list of POSSIBLE inductees, like he wants his due NOW! Let the chips fall dude. See what happens. Great drummer, but in the history of this band, he was a splash in the pan. My three cents. They need to Hit Em' With The Hein.

http://www.alternativenation.net/dave-abbruzzese-responds-pearl-jam-rock-hall-fame-snub/

What a loser.
    good thing you waited for all the facts before commenting.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Grateful Dead have 12.
    Fleetwood Mac have 8.
    Skynyrd have 9.

and the list goes on.

well, yeah, I'm sure it's not personal. but it's irritating to fans when they give no logical reasons for inducting/not inducting certain former members of a group. or even current members of a group. there's a lot of criticism because it's owned and started by a non-musician and there has been loads of controversy over groups snubbed, and them basically putting one group in over another to create a balance (like inducting a rap act instead of a rock act to make it look more diverse). it's stupid.
    I do agree that inducting non-rock artists is stupid. Makes no sense at all. Although I suppose it's to make up for the fact that there is no such thing as a Rap Hall of Fame.... I would suggest they change the name to accommodate that, but anything else just sounds stupid and would be TOO inclusive, i.e. you call it the Music Hall of Fame and all of a sudden classical pianists and pan flutists would have their knickers in a knot, lol. So what could it be called? I don't know. The Non-Country, Non-Classical, Non-Et Al Music Hall of Fame? :tongue:

Anyway, I simply feel absolutely zero attachment to the ex-drummers of Pearl Jam. To be honest, unless they are John Bonham, I never really feel much of an attachment to drummers. I do love drumming, so I suspect that the issue is indeed that they aren't John Bonham, who I consider the greatest musician of all time. All other drummers just have too much to live up to in my own head, so I don't get too wrapped up in who deserves what credit when it comes to PJ drummers. :dizzy: Matt is their drummer. That's how I think of it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Grateful Dead have 12.
    Fleetwood Mac have 8.
    Skynyrd have 9.

and the list goes on.

I do agree that inducting non-rock artists is stupid. Makes no sense at all. Although I suppose it's to make up for the fact that there is no such thing as a Rap Hall of Fame.... I would suggest they change the name to accommodate that, but anything else just sounds stupid and would be TOO inclusive, i.e. you call it the Music Hall of Fame and all of a sudden classical pianists and pan flutists would have their knickers in a knot, lol. So what could it be called? I don't know. The Non-Country, Non-Classical, Non-Et Al Music Hall of Fame? :tongue:
    well the canadian one is the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. They should probably put "Popular" in between "Canadian" and "Music" though.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    You're quick - I edited in a point about my fucked up feelings about drummers, lol.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    jp307677 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Oh come on. PJ has always, ALWAYS been an amazing live act. I enjoy the longer sets and what they've become as a live band, but I'd give back a few post 2k shows to experience a show from 93 or 94. Different, not better or worse.

I'm kinda disheartened that so few fans think Dave A and Jack are deserving of the honor.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    DewieCox said:

jp307677 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Oh come on. PJ has always, ALWAYS been an amazing live act. I enjoy the longer sets and what they've become as a live band, but I'd give back a few post 2k shows to experience a show from 93 or 94. Different, not better or worse.

I'm kinda disheartened that so few fans think Dave A and Jack are deserving of the honor.
    My vote goes with jack over Dave. Jack has the second most amount of time behind the kit only behind Matt.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    edited October 2016
    jp307677 said:

MP188882 said:

What a loser.
    Wow.
    Drummer on Vs. & Vitalogy, yes he's a complete loser.
    Post edited by Spoken on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    Spoken said:

jp307677 said:

MP188882 said:

What a loser.
    Wow.
    Drummer on Vs. & Vitalogy, yes a complete loser.
    Dave A = :loser:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You're quick - I edited in a point about my fucked up feelings about drummers, lol.

I wouldn't say I have an attachment, either. I just don't understand how the hall decides these things. There seems to be little to no reasoning behind it, to be honest.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2016
    DewieCox said:

jp307677 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I can't speak for others, but I don't really think they aren't deserving of the honour... I just can't muster up the energy to care about it on their behalf, lol, especially since it is true that Dave A and Jack didn't contribute all that much to the actual songs, according to the writing credits. I mean really, when was the last time Pearl Jam had anything happen to them or that they did that wasn't tainted by a whole lot of negativity/controversy for one reason or another? I guess I was just hoping that their long-anticipated induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - something people have been talking about for years now - could go ahead without a big controversy over something that isn't even in the band's control. I'd really rather not see a fucking boycott or some kind of debate between the band and the HoF happen. What with this whole US election disaster... I don't know if I can take it and a PJ/HoF showdown too. :lol:;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Dave A is just upset because he was hoping to get that trophy they give inductees, so he has something to sell on ebay in a few years when he needs the $$$$.

Yes, I'm joking... but I think when you start counting drummers it is a huge mess. Dave A WAS Pearl Jam's drummer during the 3-album-popularity-height whatever you wanna call it even though he didn't drum on the first album. Krusen was the original drummer on the epic debut album etc (something Hall of Fame seems to care a lot about usually, the big debut), but really was hardly in Pearl Jam at all when you look at the 25 years, he was a blip in PJ who just happened to be the drummer in the studio for the first album. His relevance to PJ is less than any of the other 3 drummers if you ask me.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
This discussion has been closed.