Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    PrimalPrimal Posts: 41
  • Options
    nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 704
    Well I'm sure the band will appreciate him taking to social media. I like him but thats lame- if that was really him.....
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

"pearl jam better invite dave and jack"

Or what?

You won't renew your 10c membership?

You'll stop listening?

What are you going to do if they don't invite Dave and Jack?

:lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

I believe most of PJ's former drummers were in at least 2 successful bands or had steady work. Except for Dave A. Is there a reason. I mean he has a section of the population that loves him. You would think some band would want to tap into that market?

He played on some GnR demoes.

But I don't think the fact that he moved home and worked on smaller scale stuff instead of jumping into another big band says anything.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

RKCNDY said:

if Krusen is inducted since he is a 'founding member', then why was Chad Channing excluded when Nirvana was inducted?

Hopefully PJ will be gracious and mention the other drummers not included.

Great point about Chad Canning, but the RRHOF has always made 'curious' decisions. The inclusion of Krusen over DA or JI doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, but whatever.

I'll be shocked if no one gives a shout out to Dave & Jack. I would expect at least a couple of the guys to mention & thank them.
    Surely a mention. Probably by Mike.
    Eddie couldn't even get Dave A's surname right when they played Angel this summer... I doubt it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304
    TJ25487 said:

Don't forget Boommmmmm!!!!

:hang_loose:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304

Ok somebody make a poll

Done! :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    I think an argument can be made that Krusten's the original drummer, Cameron is THE drummer, and Dave A. and Jack were just temporary fill-in drummers. The "Dave A. was in the band during their height of popularity" argument is a common one to make..but it could have just as well been anyone.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    I can't believe so many people can't get over Dave A. He made no difference to this band whatsoever. Vs and Vitalogy would have happened with or without him. Could anyone really imagine that guy drumming for the guys today? Google him, he looks ridiculous like he's never grown from 1992.
    What about Jack Irons? He is a huge part of this band's evolution....No Code, Yield.
  • Options
    DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    jp307677 said:

I can't believe so many people can't get over Dave A. He made no difference to this band whatsoever. Vs and Vitalogy would have happened with or without him. Could anyone really imagine that guy drumming for the guys today? Google him, he looks ridiculous like he's never grown from 1992.
    Dave A is a carnivore and that did not help him gel with PJ. I think they called him the "Burger King". Just sayin.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

pjalive21 said:

100 Pacer said:

In a change of tradition, the Hall of Fame has announced the individual members of each band that will be honored. Pearl Jam have had five drummers, but only current drummer Matt Cameron and founding member Dave Krusen will be inducted should they make it in

I suspect I'm in the minority, but I agree with that call.
    i agree with this as well...that rule simplifies complex issues like Pearl Jam has...im a Jack Irons fan for many reasons but luckily he is in with RHCP
    I'm in the minority as well. Agree with you both
    I agree as well
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited October 2016
    jp307677 said:

What about Jack Irons? He is a huge part of this band's evolution....No Code, Yield.

I'm with you...... I like VS & Vitalogy as much as anyone, but I think DA & his contributions to the band are way over romanticized on this forum.

Jack Irons is responsible for this band getting together & keeping it together a few years later for No Code & Yield, but people act like DA was the second coming of Christ & the band is worse off without him.

Personally I think the band got better after DA.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403

jp307677 said:

I'm with you...... I like VS & Vitalogy as much as anyone, but I think DA & his contributions to the band are way over romanticized on this forum.

Jack Irons is responsible for this band getting together & keeping it together a few years later for No Code & Yield, but people act like DA was the second coming of Christ & the band is worse off without him.

Personally I think the band got better after DA.
    +1
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Like him or not, the lineup with him is half the reason they're being inducted. Stuff like Go, RVM, Leash etc would've seriously lacked a lot of the drive that made them great songs without him. Also, it always comes back to live shows with PJ and his intensity as a drummer helped the band keep up with EV as a frontman. People that are shortchanging him have no real understanding of band dynamics and the effect that a drummer can have and/or are blinded by their EV mancrush.

Of course, gotta have Matt. It would be nice to have Jack on too, and No Code and Yield are among their best albums, but that was when they started going downhill popularity wise. I think Jack should be in, but I could sorta understand the argument.
  • Options
    I think it's poor taste for Dave A. to make a comment the day of the list of POSSIBLE inductees, like he wants his due NOW! Let the chips fall dude. See what happens. Great drummer, but in the history of this band, he was a splash in the pan. My three cents. They need to Hit Em' With The Hein.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • Options
    as long as matt is included then i'm ok. much respect for him.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    I thought Dave K. did tour with them...?
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    Spoken said:

Not after the album was released.

9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    Is Pearl Jam a better (and I know completely different) live band now or 1994?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

I think it's poor taste for Dave A. to make a comment the day of the list of POSSIBLE inductees, like he wants his due NOW! Let the chips fall dude. See what happens. Great drummer, but in the history of this band, he was a splash in the pan. My three cents. They need to Hit Em' With The Hein.

http://www.alternativenation.net/dave-abbruzzese-responds-pearl-jam-rock-hall-fame-snub/

For those looking for Dave's comments. He's also on FB.
    MP
    8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
    10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
    6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
    9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
    12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
    05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    09/06/16 - Hamilton, Ontario
    09/08/22 - Toronto, Ontario

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    This probably wont be interesting. I dont see any kind of response coming from the band (i hope not anyway). Like i said the RRHOF always seems to start more fights than it does heal old ones.
  • Options

Jack Irons is responsible for this band getting together & keeping it together a few years later for No Code & Yield,

...speaking of romanticising.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    surforia said:

Spoken said:

Not after the album was released.

Was he in the band only a couple of weeks?
  • Options

I think an argument can be made that Krusten's the original drummer, Cameron is THE drummer, and Dave A. and Jack were just temporary fill-in drummers. The "Dave A. was in the band during their height of popularity" argument is a common one to make..but it could have just as well been anyone.

Could have been anyone being the original drummer, could have been anyone from 98 and forward.

I get why they chose Krusen/Cameron. But it's pretty weird when Grohl was chosen for Nirvana but not also the original drummer. Maybe the bands have a say in this?

Anyway.

I think they should just nominate the Artist/Band and not care about specifik members.

PEARL JAM/KISS whatever is inducted.

Then the band will choose who will pick up the award and who they think are a part of the winning.

Who cares about the specifik members anyways – what's the point. isn't a band chosen for it's legacy and place in the history of "rock". Don't see the point in chosen anything other than the band as a whole.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    To me the concept of the RRHOF was pretty cool in the beginning. The execution has become cumbersome, sloppy and disjointed as the years have passed. The inclusion of questionable acts as well as the making up of rules changes seemingly on the fly has turned this organization into somewhat of a clown show.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

Jack Irons is responsible for this band getting together & keeping it together a few years later for No Code & Yield,

...speaking of romanticising.
    Well, Jack Irons gave the demo tape to EV, so that's a fact, I'm not romanticizing the past. If not for him, EV never gets the demos tape.

As far as him saving the band, don't take my word for it:

"The band’s plan to record on the road—Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle, Atlanta—while still stringing together Ticketmaster-less shows only stretched the frayed bonds of communication further. But this time Irons was on hand to hold the center together. “Everybody was on their best musical behavior around him,” producer Brendan O’Brien admitted to Spin. McCready called him a “big spiritual influence—if not the biggest.”

Irons wasn’t just massaging bruised egos. His loose, tribal drumming style was creating an entirely new terrain for the rest of the band to stretch out on. “We realized we had a chance to experiment,” Vedder told Spin. But what was happening in the studio was more akin to an outright reinvention."

( http://www.avclub.com/article/trampled-moss-and-sitars-pearl-jams-tricky-transfo-240770 )

Gossard almost quit after Vitaolgy, Ament almost quit during the onset of the No Code sessions - multiple members of the band credit JI with keeping them together.

So how am I romanticizing his contribution exactly?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

RKCNDY said:

if Krusen is inducted since he is a 'founding member', then why was Chad Channing excluded when Nirvana was inducted?

Hopefully PJ will be gracious and mention the other drummers not included.

Great point about Chad Canning, but the RRHOF has always made 'curious' decisions. The inclusion of Krusen over DA or JI doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, but whatever.

I'll be shocked if no one gives a shout out to Dave & Jack. I would expect at least a couple of the guys to mention & thank them.
    Surely a mention. Probably by Mike.
    I think Stone should thank Dave A just like he did at the MTV awards, and let the rest of the band look at him oddly in jest, re-enacting their reactions at that awards show. That would be gold.

And call him Dave Abbrellezze like is written on the Ten liner notes.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    I think the hall missed the mark on this one (as they do OFTEN). I think as far as drummers go, Krusen made the least impact on the band out of the other main 3. Sure, he was on the band's most popular album (and my favourite), but the drumming that put the band over the top are, in my order:

Dave A
    Matt Cameron
    Jack Irons

Matt Cameron's contributions in terms of songwriting, however, top all of them. I would have thought it would make more sense if they only inducted Matt, and leave Krusen off. You could make a case for Matt and Matt only. But adding Krusen and leaving the others behind? Weaker case in my opinion.

I wouldn't even consider Chamberlain.

Jack isn't being excluded because he is in with RHCP. Many people get inducted with many bands and also as solo artists.

And no, Boom is not an official member. He's a touring member.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    They will probably invite Jack but not Dave.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    JB128716 said:

nicknyr15 said:

I can't believe people even care about Dave A getting in. He's nothing. Not a good song writer and an average drummer at best. He could NEVER play the shows we've come to expect from PJ now. NEVER.

He wrote Go.

I like Go.

Go is better than any song I've ever written.
    He kinda had a hand in writing Glorfied G, too.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.