Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    These drummers were so influential that 5 left the band in 5 years. I think that pretty much says it all right there about how significant a role they played. While Jack had an interesting drum style I think his influence on the band was less musical and more about being a calming influence during the storm.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    my2hands said:

lol

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    mrpink90 said:

Why would you want to sit in the audience and watch a band you were fired from be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

its not pearl jam's decision that hes not being inducted. as a sign of respect and appreciation for what he contributed to the band they should invite him. and i guarantee he would go.
    Thats presuming he would be able to. Im sure i read not too long ago a warrant had been issued.

Could be wrong though
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    nalyd61 said:

Well I'm sure the band will appreciate him taking to social media. I like him but thats lame- if that was really him.....

totally lame. had they been thinking of inviting him before, that may have changed their minds. what is the "right thing"? it's not their call.

but what I find weird is, back when Metallica was getting inducted, Dave Mustaine (and even Lars) made it sound like it WAS the band's call not to induct him.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,605
    see also: Nirvana
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Each inductee gets 2 tickets so unless they wanna tell their wives to stay home this ain't happening.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435

igotid88 said:

I believe most of PJ's former drummers were in at least 2 successful bands or had steady work. Except for Dave A. Is there a reason. I mean he has a section of the population that loves him. You would think some band would want to tap into that market?

He played on some GnR demoes.

But I don't think the fact that he moved home and worked on smaller scale stuff instead of jumping into another big band says anything.
    no, but he was one of the few in the band that liked all the success and attention the band was getting. I'm sure he would have liked to continue that somewhere
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited October 2016
    my2hands said:

I don't care which drummer does or doesn't get in.... none of these guys would be getting in if they didn't meet Eddie Vedder

Jack Irons is already inducted.
    Matt C will be inducted with Soundgarden.

If they didn't meet Eddie Vedder they might have met some other singer, been called something else and could have been even more famous/big.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JB128716 said:

nicknyr15 said:

I can't believe people even care about Dave A getting in. He's nothing. Not a good song writer and an average drummer at best. He could NEVER play the shows we've come to expect from PJ now. NEVER.

He wrote Go.

I like Go.

Go is better than any song I've ever written.

Don't be so hard on yourself..!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

I can't believe people even care about Dave A getting in. He's nothing. Not a good song writer and an average drummer at best. He could NEVER play the shows we've come to expect from PJ now. NEVER.

In what way would he be more of "an average" drummer than Jack Irons, Matt C etc? Please.

And not a good idea to capitalise letters when what you're saying is stuff you know nothing about.
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 976
    edited October 2016
    I don't think it's any surprise to anyone who actually knows the history of the band somewhat, that they don't like Dave based on the type of person he is and the way he acted towards the members of the band.

I don't want to get all political here or crush the dreams of any conservatives out there, but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them. Read PJ20. Research what Glorified G was written about. He was a conservative minded dude from Texas and he didn't fit in with a bunch of liberal dudes from Seattle.

I'm sure every conservative that reads this will get bent out of shape, but the band is extremely liberal.

I'm not saying he won't be at the rock hall because of his views, but his views and actions back in the mid 90's caused enough friction between him and the band that they booted him and haven't included him in shit like they have like Jack Irons or collaborated with him or spoke fondly of him. I think if you look in the archives, the only time they've mentioned him prominently over the past 20 years is to say Angel was written by him when it was played this summer.

Look, I enjoyed Dave's powerful style drumming and wish they still had that backbone (even though I love Matt Cameron), but let's face it, the band doesn't care for him.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20 (Canceled)
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 9/10/23 (Canceled)
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817

nicknyr15 said:

In what way would he be more of "an average" drummer than Jack Irons, Matt C etc? Please.

And not a good idea to capitalise letters when what you're saying is stuff you know nothing about.
    I play drums. Matt C is way better and so is jack irons. My opinion ...relax Dave A is average at best
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    Didn't Dave A have trouble nailing RVM in the studio? Imagine live. His style is to hit as many crashes as possible. Nothing special.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    #italiandrummersmatter
  • Options
    I don't think it's any surprise to anyone who actually knows the history of the band somewhat, that they don't like Dave based on the type of person he is and the way he acted towards the members of the band.

I don't want to get all political here or crush the dreams of any conservatives out there, but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them. Read PJ20. Research what Glorified G was written about. He was a conservative minded dude from Texas and he didn't fit in with a bunch of liberal dudes from Seattle.

I'm sure every conservative that reads this will get bent out of shape, but the band is extremely liberal.

I'm not saying he won't be at the rock hall because of his views, but his views and actions back in the mid 90's caused enough friction between him and the band that they booted him and haven't included him in shit like they have like Jack Irons or collaborated with him or spoke fondly of him. I think if you look in the archives, the only time they've mentioned him prominently over the past 20 years is to say Angel was written by him when it was played this summer.

Look, I enjoyed Dave's powerful style drumming and wish they still had that backbone (even though I love Matt Cameron), but let's face it, the band doesn't care for him.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited October 2016
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

I believe most of PJ's former drummers were in at least 2 successful bands or had steady work. Except for Dave A. Is there a reason. I mean he has a section of the population that loves him. You would think some band would want to tap into that market?

He played on some GnR demoes.

But I don't think the fact that he moved home and worked on smaller scale stuff instead of jumping into another big band says anything.
    no, but he was one of the few in the band that liked all the success and attention the band was getting. I'm sure he would have liked to continue that somewhere
    Hmm. Yeah maybe. Would be cool to hear his story about that period.

Maybe he got shunned from the community and people didn't want/dare to be on Eddies side. Or maybe he was never part of the community.

He's the George Lazenby of rock drummers.
  • Options
    rbrum7 said:

but let's face it, the band doesn't care for him.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rbrum7 said:

I don't want to get all political here or crush the dreams of any conservatives out there, but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

nicknyr15 said:

And not a good idea to capitalize letters when what you're saying is stuff you know nothing about.
    Fixed.

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403

my2hands said:

I don't care which drummer does or doesn't get in.... none of these guys would be getting in if they didn't meet Eddie Vedder

Matt C will be inducted with Soundgarden.
    I don't see Soundgarden being inducted anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

I don't want to get all political here or crush the dreams of any conservatives out there, but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them.

I was waiting for this. LOL. when Ed inducted the Ramones, Joey fucking said "god bless george bush" with Ed standing right beside him. you don't get much more conservative than that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

I was waiting for this. LOL. when Ed inducted the Ramones, Joey fucking said "god bless george bush" with Ed standing right beside him. you don't get much more conservative than that.
    Big difference, Joey was an idol/icon to him. Dave was some guy who started off as a fill in for drummer and ended up staying for 2 more albums.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
  • Options
    rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

Big difference, Joey was an idol/icon to him. Dave was some guy who started off as a fill in for drummer and ended up staying for 2 more albums.
    and I quote:

"..but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

"..but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them".
    Yes, doesn't 'care MUCH'. If you want to say a statement is a blanket statement and covers all instances, then we aren't going to agree on anything.

Ok, you have Joey Ramone to throw out there. Everyone is aware of that. What else can you come up with?
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

That's Johnny Ramone......not Joey. Joey was a huge liberal.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

Yes, doesn't 'care MUCH'. If you want to say a statement is a blanket statement and covers all instances, then we aren't going to agree on anything.

Ok, you have Joey Ramone to throw out there. Everyone is aware of that. What else can you come up with?
    nothing. I don't know any of their friends. My point is I think it would be weird for anyone, musician or not, to surround themselves with only others who share the same particular political leanings.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lolobugg said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

That's Johnny Ramone......not Joey. Joey was a huge liberal.
    yeah, my bad, johnny.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rbrum7 said:

Agreed..... i think if you're expecting DA to be there, you haven't been paying attention over the last 22 years.

SHOULD he be there? We could debate this non-stop, but the fact is, very few people, if anyone at all outside of those 5 guys know the whole story behind his departure from the band, so all we can do is speculate.

Considering the band has persevered for 20+ years since kicking him out, I think they made the right decision.
  • Options

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

nothing. I don't know any of their friends. My point is I think it would be weird for anyone, musician or not, to surround themselves with only others who share the same particular political leanings.
    I agree 100% with you on that one. I just know he rubbed them the wrong way, partly because of his views and that's well documented. I myself am Liberal and surround myself with all different view points.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
  • Options

Jack Irons is responsible for this band getting together & keeping it together a few years later for No Code & Yield,

...speaking of romanticising.
    Well, Jack Irons gave the demo tape to EV, so that's a fact, I'm not romanticizing the past. If not for him, EV never gets the demos tape.

As far as him saving the band, don't take my word for it:

"The band’s plan to record on the road—Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle, Atlanta—while still stringing together Ticketmaster-less shows only stretched the frayed bonds of communication further. But this time Irons was on hand to hold the center together. “Everybody was on their best musical behavior around him,” producer Brendan O’Brien admitted to Spin. McCready called him a “big spiritual influence—if not the biggest.”

Irons wasn’t just massaging bruised egos. His loose, tribal drumming style was creating an entirely new terrain for the rest of the band to stretch out on. “We realized we had a chance to experiment,” Vedder told Spin. But what was happening in the studio was more akin to an outright reinvention."

( http://www.avclub.com/article/trampled-moss-and-sitars-pearl-jams-tricky-transfo-240770 )

Gossard almost quit after Vitaolgy, Ament almost quit during the onset of the No Code sessions - multiple members of the band credit JI with keeping them together.

So how am I romanticizing his contribution exactly?
    No response, Spiritual Chaos?
This discussion has been closed.