Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

I personally think Dave should be included but on the flip side I've never listened to a single band or performer because they had a great drummer. I think people here are overblowing his importance.

There is only one rock band ever that the drummer was irreplaceable.
    I m not a drummer so I m wondering what your answer is.
    Zeppelin
    Damn I never knew that. Guy was that good?
    Yes. I'd go as far tosay that NONE of the original members are replaceable. Each were masters of their instruments.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

I personally think Dave should be included but on the flip side I've never listened to a single band or performer because they had a great drummer. I think people here are overblowing his importance.

Zeppelin
    I think it's more the fact that they didn't want to continue after he died.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    igotid88 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    they didnt want to continue after he died cuz he was that good. they wouldnt be led zeppelin without him, no drummer could match him.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    Yes. I'd go as far tosay that NONE of the original members are replaceable. Each were masters of their instruments.
    Co-sign
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    igotid88 said:

I'm not an expert on who's a better drummer or whatever. But I don't hear that much difference from Ten to Vitalogy in terms of drumming. You can hear it on No Code and you can hear it during the Cameron years. Due to unfortunate circumstances Dave Krusen couldn't continue with the band. But the majority of people who know of Pearl Jam. Would think of the songs Alive, Jeremy, Black, Why Go, and Even Flow. I know the re-recorded Even Flow with Dave A. And the Alive video has Matt Chamberlain. But Alive, Jeremy, Black, and Release on the radio is Dave K.

So it's not necessarily that Ten was their first record so Dave K has to be in. It's their most popular and well known I believe that the decision was based. If Ten didn't put then on the map. And it was Vs. Then Dave A. has a better chance. Also had there been videos for Daughter, Go, Rearviewmirror, Better Man, Immortality, Spin the Black Circle. I believe those albums would be up there with Ten in terms of sales.

You make an interesting point between the first two albums. If you really get into it, it is a complex argument which album is more important to the longevity of the band.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    No
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    You are correct sir!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    Yup. I am a die hard John Bonham fan. That is the only drummer I have ever specifically been a fan of in my whole life and likely the only one I ever will be an actual fan of, as opposed to just being a fan by default because they play for the band I am a fan of (not to say I don't appreciate the drummer in any band, including Matt in PJ... it's just not the same though).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    Oh yes. Check out some LZ vids that feature Bonham. Mind blowing and just on another level than all other drummers. I actually consider him the best rock musician ever. Not just the best drummer. Best out of any instrument. I don't expect everyone to agree with that statement of course, lol, but I believe it with all my heart. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    mrpink90 said:

igotid88 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    they didnt want to continue after he died cuz he was that good. they wouldnt be led zeppelin without him, no drummer could match him.
    Yea. But had he not died and left on his own. Maybe things would be different.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

mrpink90 said:

igotid88 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    Yea. But had he not died and left on his own. Maybe things would be different.
    Maybe. But this is the reason I don't give a crap about Led Zeppelin reunions. Without Bonham, it's just not Led Zeppelin to me. It's cool that his kid played in his place and all, but no... the heart of the band absolutely died in 1980; the band died along with him.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    Oh yes. Check out some LZ vids that feature Bonham. Mind blowing and just on another level than all other drummers. I actually consider him the best rock musician ever. Not just the best drummer. Best out of any instrument. I don't expect everyone to agree with that statement of course, lol, but I believe it with all my heart. :)
    I like you! Sorry if that's awkward.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    How did he die? I am obviously not an expert in any way of Led Zeppelin.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    Take a wild guess. :frowning:
  • Options
    And he was only 32. Found by John Paul Jones and their manager I believe, dead in his bed.
  • Options
    Yeah he choked on his own vomit after drinking a hell of a lot of vodka. What s up with the song "moby dick"?!?! 30 minute drum solo?! Was this played at live shows?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Zeppelin
    Barbiturates and alcohol. He drank like a gallon of Vodka and choked on his vomit. Pretty sad.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah he choked on his own vomit after drinking a hell of a lot of vodka. What s up with the song "moby dick"?!?! 30 minute drum solo?! Was this played at live shows?

Every show. There's a great video from earls court in London. Seattle too in the late 70s. Unbelievable version.

My favorite videos are from the BBC shows in the late 60's. He just beats the shit out of his drums. To hear four musicians play the blues at that level is awe inspiring.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Every show. There's a great video from earls court in London. Seattle too in the late 70s. Unbelievable version.

My favorite videos are from the BBC shows in the late 60's. He just beats the shit out of his drums. To hear four musicians play the blues at that level is awe inspiring.
    I need to start to listen to zeppelin! I grew up on the Beatles and The Beach Boys, no zeppelin in our house!
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I need to start to listen to zeppelin! I grew up on the Beatles and The Beach Boys, no zeppelin in our house!
    WHAT!!?? I'm kind of jealous that you will be hearing them for the first time right now. I wish I could re live that. Pop in Led Zeppelin 2 and crank it up to 10.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

WHAT!!?? I'm kind of jealous that you will be hearing them for the first time right now. I wish I could re live that. Pop in Led Zeppelin 2 and crank it up to 10.
    Ok i ll get it on vinyl!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Can't go wrong with those two bands!
  • Options
    Whoever is left standing as a band should be the ones receiving the award.
    Boom better fucking be there.
  • Options

They are going to play at the show. No way Boom is not going to be there. He's just not getting inducted.
  • Options
    Bonham was awesome, but the guy sounds like he was the worst bandmate. I'd have had a hard time putting up with him, despite the talent. Kind of amazing they produced as much music as they did while remaining a band. The rest of LZ were built to last for decades longer - he wasn't. Kind of like what Bob Odenkirk said about Chris Farley's passing being almost an inevitability. So sad when that happens.

Also, Carter Beauford is irreplaceable.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

They are going to play at the show. No way Boom is not going to be there. He's just not getting inducted.
    I too fully expect Boom to be on stage when they perform. (like Pat Smear w/ Nirvana)
  • Options

Bonham was awesome, but the guy sounds like he was the worst bandmate. I'd have had a hard time putting up with him, despite the talent. Kind of amazing they produced as much music as they did while remaining a band. The rest of LZ were built to last for decades longer - he wasn't. Kind of like what Bob Odenkirk said about Chris Farley's passing being almost an inevitability. So sad when that happens.

Also, Carter Beauford is irreplaceable.

Jimmy Page was a full blown heroin addict for like eight years. That was the times.

I like Carter but def. not irreplaceable.
  • Options
    Does anyone else feel that the drug bands of the past and the ones emulating them are no long relevant?
    Pearl Jam is not about drugs and no one cares.
    This whole drug scene has to go. That is not what rock n roll is.
    Pearl Jam has defined this and is why certain people won't be onstage.
  • Options

Does anyone else feel that the drug bands of the past and the ones emulating them are no long relevant?
    Pearl Jam is not about drugs and no one cares.
    This whole drug scene has to go. That is not what rock n roll is.
    Pearl Jam has defined this and is why certain people won't be onstage.

No and most importantly the members of PJ do not feel that way. Taking drugs in the 70s was like working out in the 80s taking Prozac in the 90s or eating kale today. It all sucks but people just do it.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    nicknyr15 said:

I'm a drummer so obviously I'm an expert. Dave A is by far the best studio drummer they have had. Can he do what Matt C does night in night out, I don't know I never saw Dave A live. Remember bands for the most part don't care about the creativity of a drummer they just want him to keep time because they can't. The drumming on VS. is incredible. I have always felt bad for him and remember when it was announced they replaced and couldn't understand why (now I know). He should be included in the HoF even though it doesn't mean shit!

Man. I'm drummer for over 15 years and completely disagree. His drumming to me is so easy to replicate compared to Matt. Especially when Matt goes odd times. It's actually great to hear someone with an opposite opinion who also drums. There are so many moments during live bootlegs where it sounds like a song might fall apart and the heart , MFC, holds it together. The dude can play hundreds of songd at any given time. To me he is a machine! And I could of swore I read that Dave A had trouble keeping time in the studio. Especially while recording RVM. Am I remembering wrong? Anyway who cares lol. Our boys are nominated and that's all that matters to me. I guess it's silly arguing over someone who hasn't been in the picture for the last 20 years.
    I agree. Dave A is a pretty simplistic drummer and never really contributed much in the studio. I also remember hearing he struggled with songs in studio recording Vs
This discussion has been closed.