Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931
    Invincible and Descending are growing on me.
    They're the two songs I've struggled to digest on the first few listens.
    It definitely feels like I’ll have a new favorite every week. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,147
    PJNB said:
    We saw them in Louisville back in May...sat in lower bowl facing stage.  That seemed perfect to me as we got the full video experience and great sound.

Definitely worth the money.  Probably not a band I would see multiple nights due to the consistent setlist but you shouldn't miss them if they are close.
    Did you feel like you were too far back though? Thanks for the input everyone. 
    No... It seemed kind of perfect. The stage is pretty dark, they are about sound and visual which you could see very well 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,027
    nicknyr15 said:
    Invincible and Descending are growing on me.
    They're the two songs I've struggled to digest on the first few listens.
    It definitely feels like I’ll have a new favorite every week. 
    Descending in particular...wow! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,015
    Today's the day. Out for delivery!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,046
    The presale is tomorrow and still little to no info from the band. They said that it is 10am local time. I assume this means local to the venue. Also will I be eligible if I sign up tonight? What an odd way to roll out the presale with so little info. They also said it is on their webstore so do I go to the section where the tshirts are? This is going to be wild. I may just sit back and save the $50 bucks and watch the mayhem.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    edited September 2019
    PJNB said:
    The presale is tomorrow and still little to no info from the band. They said that it is 10am local time. I assume this means local to the venue. Also will I be eligible if I sign up tonight? What an odd way to roll out the presale with so little info. They also said it is on their webstore so do I go to the section where the tshirts are? This is going to be wild. I may just sit back and save the $50 bucks and watch the mayhem.

What is it with popular 90s bands and giving on sale information to fans?

I'm interested in doing VIP at least  once on my life, as  Tool does a very cool Q and A session. Usually it's with Adam.

But do I need to shell out $50 every year or is VIP open to all fans? Will VIP be part of the venue and promoter presales? Will VIP be part of the general on sale?

It's not like these are challenging or unfair questions.

Reminds me a bit of this other mysterious band that sells tickets with no mention of seat location and what, they're obstructed? 

Oops, sorry dude.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    I’d really only give PJ the edge in set list selection. Tool has the better show and they’re 10000000x tighter. I don’t think Tool has off nights. Both really about as good as live experiences go, but by no measure does PJ blow Tool out of the water. 

My favorite tidbit about a Tool show...not played to clicks and no preprogrammed light or video show. 

To bear out the preprogramming point...

Their 2017 Tour I was set for one show in VA which is about 5 hour drive for me. After all tickets went on sale, they added Hershey PA for the following night. Ok, while I'm going that way might was well do two! 

I was sitting very close to Adam a few rows off the floor, and while he was playing the Jambi solo, the talk box effect was barely audible.  So after the solo the band is onto the next section. Adam walks front stage center, motions to the others, turns around and they all go back to the beginning of the solo. Which Adam shreds without the usual effects. Very cool to hear the song that way. And obviously they couldn't pull it off if lights and backing sound was pre packaged.

Also that show featured the only performance of Eulogy with all 4 since 2001 (it was about a week after Chris Cornell died). Epic show.
  • Options
    After a few deep listens to the new album, I realize that this album might take years to fully digest. Like someone said above, it feels familiar yet so far ahead of anything else it’s not even fair to compare it to other music. The musicianship is unmatched by any band out there right now. The weakest part of the album, if there is such a thing, has to be MJK. But that being said, I think his reserved vocals match the mood and the complexity of the album greatly. Do I wish there was some vintage screams? Of course. But after 13 years, the band hasn’t just gotten back in the game. They’ve changed the whole fucking game. Even the interludes between each epic song are awesome. This album will be dissected by Tool nerds for decades to come. It also has made all other current rock bands reach for that new bar. Outstanding. Astonishing. Breathtaking. Game changing. Just, WOW!

I think that I saw Danny Carey play Chocolate chip trip the last time I saw them live. It was just a drum solo I thought but it seems like a match to the album. It’s awesome!!

And yes, sorry Matt Fucking Cameron, but Danny Carey is the greatest drummer of all time. Hands down. No contest.  

It's more than the lack of screaming, they are utilizing Maynard differently.

Previously Maynard would rise above their deep and complex rhythms with incredibly soaring melodic vocals at an emotional peak to the song.

They are amazing musicians and they tear it apart on FI but Maynard's new role leaves me longing for something that isn't there. All prior albums feature epic Maynard performances on the first listen. He still sings well, just seemingly in a different style.
  • Options
    I read around the time of the last album that Maynard's approach to vocals is to think of his voice as another instrument in the band. Not necessarily the frontman. 

He said he sometimes wants his voice placed lower in the mix so as to not detract from the other musicians, but to support them.

I still haven't listened to FI but I wonder if this is the case as well as his screaming voice not being what it once was. 
  • Options
    Yep I agree it's another texture rather than a lead instrument. I love his soaring highs and epic screams but what gives me jollies is his raspiness when singing in Tool. Maybe that is harder on his voice than we think as 7empest is the only track where we get raspy MJK.

Also random q: I got my copy on Monday which is amazing given the shitfight over copies. JB Hifi told me no store in NZ got any. Are there any people living in NZ who have a copy?
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    Made it through the first listen. Man, this album is brilliant!

Definitely lived up to the hype surrounding the release. The execution of the packaging and artwork, the recording, mixing, mastering and musicianship are all expertly done. 

Even though I have only been through it once, this album has etched itself into my brain and I'm really looking forward to unlocking the hidden gems buried in the soundscape over the next several decades. 

Even the smell of the liner notes from the printer is intoxicating!

Bravo Tool, bravo.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Fantastic album - really fun listen. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but Chocolate Chip Trip really sounds like an Aphex Twin song, but instead of a breakbeat drum machine, it’s Danny Carey (same thing, right?)
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    Fantastic album - really fun listen. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but Chocolate Chip Trip really sounds like an Aphex Twin song, but instead of a breakbeat drum machine, it’s Danny Carey (same thing, right?)
    Absolutely! That might be the best recording of drums I've ever heard. It will definitely be a go-to reference track for me for testing audio equipment in the future. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    dudeman said:
    I read around the time of the last album that Maynard's approach to vocals is to think of his voice as another instrument in the band. Not necessarily the frontman. 

He said he sometimes wants his voice placed lower in the mix so as to not detract from the other musicians, but to support them.

I still haven't listened to FI but I wonder if this is the case as well as his screaming voice not being what it once was. 
    I read an article recently where he said that he was singing incorrectly years ago thus putting his voice at risk of damage. I think since the last album he's had vocal training and is now avoiding screaming for longevity.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,825
    PJNB said:
    $499.98 Prices are all in USD.

VIP Package Includes:

• One (1) premium reserved ticket to see Tool live*
    • Parking for one (1) vehicle
    • Early access to venue
    • Exclusive access to Tool’s soundcheck
    • Commemorative group photo with members of the band **
    • Limited edition merchandise kit featuring a special garment and other exclusive VIP merchandise not available anywhere else
    • Access to exclusive VIP pre-show area
    • Dedicated check in area
    • On-site experience host

* seat selection and location will vary by show

** group photo will include some band members and will vary per show. There is no guaranteed meet + greet included with this offering

All sales are final - no refunds or exchanges will be issued. VIP packages are non-transferable and the purchaser must be present with valid photo ID. All VIP package holders will be subject to the terms and conditions set here and will be required to sign an additional waiver on-site prior to participating in the VIP experience.

Wish they had a pre sale tickets for just regular seats to the show.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:

VIP Package Includes:

• Early access to venue
    • Limited edition merchandise kit featuring a special garment and other exclusive VIP merchandise not available anywhere else

** group photo will include some band members and will vary per show. There is no guaranteed meet + greet included with this offering

All sales are final - no refunds or exchanges will be issued. VIP packages are non-transferable and the purchaser must be present with valid photo ID. All VIP package holders will be subject to the terms and conditions set here and will be required to sign an additional waiver on-site prior to participating in the VIP experience.

Ya I wish they did too. They worded it in a way that they were going to on social media. They then had tons of comments about there being a non vip presale and they decided to take everyones money and not clarify the matter. I just threw away $50 USD. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,825
    PJNB said:
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:

VIP Package Includes:

• Early access to venue

Ya I wish they did too. They worded it in a way that they were going to on social media. They then had tons of comments about there being a non vip presale and they decided to take everyones money and not clarify the matter. I just threw away $50 USD. 
    I don't remember Tool ever selling single pre sale tickets to their shows at Tool Army. They usually sold VIP packages only. There was so much talk about single ticket pre sales for this tour. But no dice! :( 

The $50 membership is worth it. Can't remember how much I paid many, many year's back. My membership doesn't expire till 2100.
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:

VIP Package Includes:

• Early access to venue

I don't remember Tool ever selling single pre sale tickets to their shows at Tool Army. They usually sold VIP packages only. There was so much talk about single ticket pre sales for this tour. But no dice! :( 

The $50 membership is worth it. Can't remember how much I paid many, many year's back. My membership doesn't expire till 2100.
    Ya that seems great but the new memberships are only 1 year long. Not a great deal. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,027
    Wonde if Australia will get a tour in the near future? Early 2020? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

demetrios said:
    PJNB said:
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:

VIP Package Includes:

• Early access to venue

I think I paid $100 10 years ago (+/-) & considering all I got out of the experience was some tchotchke crap, a few pieces of clothing (of which the beanie was the only quality piece) and some access to overpriced VIP packages and a poorly designed website with little to no exclusive content, I would say the opposite.

I don't think it's worth it at all.

• Options
    3 different album backs on the the CD.

Which one ya got?
  • Options

Very interesting with the GA and surprised if true. Throws another twist to the VIP tickets that already lost a couple of perks from the last go around if the GA is first come first served. With early entrance this could be a huge bonus.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:

VIP Package Includes:

• Early access to venue

$500 for the POSSIBILITY of meeting the band. LOL. I'm guessing MJK makes it out to 2% of the meet n greets. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNB said:

Very interesting with the GA and surprised if true. Throws another twist to the VIP tickets that already lost a couple of perks from the last go around if the GA is first come first served. With early entrance this could be a huge bonus.  
    TOOL needs to be watched from a little further back.  You need to take in all the show.  Back of GA would be perfect for me though!
  • Options
    3 different album backs on the the CD.

Which one ya got?
    Priest Upright
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    I will never complain about Pearl Jams Ten Club ever again....
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    So is the floor standing on seated?

Weird if it's GA but seated. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I will never complain about Pearl Jams Ten Club ever again....
    RIGHT? 

People around here bitch & moan ad nauseum about this fanclub, but at least 10C delivers on their commitment to make presale tickets available, and they do a pretty damn good job of it too. 
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,266
    5PJNB said:
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:

VIP Package Includes:

• Early access to venue

Ya that seems great but the new memberships are only 1 year long. Not a great deal. 
    Especially when you don't even need to be a member to access the VIP presale
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13