Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,309
    dudeman said:
    I haven't seen Tool live but I have heard that they don't deviate from the studio versions of their songs.

If so, that's kind of a bummer but it would still be nice to go for the A/V spectacle. 

Those that have seen them: Is it worth the hundreds of dollars, the hassle of getting tickets and traveling to the show?
    Tool is an experience like no other. To see 4 guys pull off that stuff live mixed with an unbelievable light show and video screens transports you to a different world. You are mesmerized from lights off to lights on. Worth every penny. Seen them maybe 8-10 times. First time in a small theater in 1996 or 97. Last time a couple years ago. Phenomenal every time. 

This...…….. Pearl Jam will always be my favorite... But the Tool experience is on ANOTHER LEVEL!!  They are the Bach or Beethoven of our Rock musical era. Their live shows are a religious experience!  50 years from now, Tool albums will be dissected by "classical rock" students.   True virtuoso musicians of the highest order... IMO 

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited September 2019
    I’d really only give PJ the edge in set list selection. Tool has the better show and they’re 10000000x tighter. I don’t think Tool has off nights. Both really about as good as live experiences go, but by no measure does PJ blow Tool out of the water. 

My favorite tidbit about a Tool show...not played to clicks and no preprogrammed light or video show. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    I equate it to sports. Going to a basketball and a football game. Both are sports but two totally different experiences. That’s PJ and Tool shows. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    dudeman said:
    This is a sonic experience in full 24-bit quality on good headphones. Wow. 
    Agreed. This is the way to listen to the album. The drumming really shines in Hi-Res audio. I don't know why they bothered with the archaic CD format. If you're going to put out more than 80 minutes of music, it should be done digitally.
    The drumming really shines on my Audio Technica headphones.

Is there any truth to the claim by one fan on Tool's Facebook page that the sound quality is better on the CD than the iTunes download?
    By nature a CD is always going to be better quality than an iTunes download. A CD is uncompressed whereas iTunes Store is 256k AAC.
    Thanks!
    What happens if I rip a CD to mp3?
    Does it lose its quality?
    Yes.
    What if I rip as FLAC?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I equate it to sports. Going to a basketball and a football game. Both are sports but two totally different experiences. That’s PJ and Tool shows. 
    Totally. Plus you like the bands for different things. It's a different type of engagement. PJ have an intimate vibe with awesome to and fros with the crowd, crazy long and varied setlists, and awesome chances to straight out jam. Add in one of the most mesmeric and engaging frontmen ever and the most electrifying lead player in the big 90s rock bands among others and that's a guaranteed kickarse gig right there. Tool are just a sensory overload. They bludgeon your senses with hypnotic precision and an incredible light show to accompany their ridiculous musicianship. Their frontman doesn't engage with the crowd at all (technically not even a frontman) but his voice is stunning and he engages you in a different way. I've also found Maynard mesmeric with his crawls and stomps on his little riser. Sets aren't as varied due to his choosing better songs for his voice and longer songs, but they also have a more epic song structure, polyrhythmic parts that are so fun to get your head around, and (sorry Matt and the other four) the best drummer on the planet.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,036
    Whats everyone's favourite section to see Tool? Front row? 10 rows back on the floor? Immediate wings? Other side of the arena on the lower bowl? 

I have seen them twice. Once on the lawn at the Gorge and the other was 2nd row at a festival. Both amazing experiences and not sure which one I would give he edge to. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,013
    edited September 2019
    This new album is an interesting beast...it’s like I’ve heard it all before but then it’s new at the same time. I’ve only had 2-3 listens and each time I get caught up in the ‘toolness’ of each song then something new hits you in the face. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PJNB said:
    Whats everyone's favourite section to see Tool? Front row? 10 rows back on the floor? Immediate wings? Other side of the arena on the lower bowl? 

I have seen them twice. Once on the lawn at the Gorge and the other was 2nd row at a festival. Both amazing experiences and not sure which one I would give he edge to. 
    For the first 10k Days arena leg I had front row directly behind the soundboard. Maybe the best seat I’ve ever had to to see a show and that includes spot all over every type of venue. Unquestionably then beat sound I’ve ever heard at a show.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:

For the first 10k Days arena leg I had front row directly behind the soundboard. Maybe the best seat I’ve ever had to to see a show and that includes spot all over every type of venue. Unquestionably then beat sound I’ve ever heard at a show.
    This is the front row on the lower bowl I take it? I think that is the section I am looking to get. I want to get the full view/sound experience. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:

This is the front row on the lower bowl I take it? I think that is the section I am looking to get. I want to get the full view/sound experience. 
    Yeah. This was when they had the white out stage so a lot of people liked up a bit higher. I was high enough to see the Wings/10k Days laser waves and was about 25’ from and had nearly the same audio perspective as the best ears in the house. The dynamics from that spot were unreal for a live show.
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    I would probably recommend halfway from the stage in order to take in all the visuals. I seen them in St. Louis just a few years ago and I was halfway back on the side of the arena. I remember the laser show kind of blanketed the people on the floor. It was cool to see that. Never would have seen that if I was on the floor. If you're too close you'll miss most of the visuals. Just my preference. I've been to many Tool shows in all areas of the arena.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,999
    I would probably recommend halfway from the stage in order to take in all the visuals. I seen them in St. Louis just a few years ago and I was halfway back on the side of the arena. I remember the laser show kind of blanketed the people on the floor. It was cool to see that. Never would have seen that if I was on the floor. If you're too close you'll miss most of the visuals. Just my preference. I've been to many Tool shows in all areas of the arena.
    I'd tend to agree. I'll be trying for both in Toronto so if I happen to have the luxury of choice, I'll try to be close at one and around halfway back in the wings at another (though I remember missing the symmetry of the visuals and wishing for head-on, the distance isn't worth it).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    After a few deep listens to the new album, I realize that this album might take years to fully digest. Like someone said above, it feels familiar yet so far ahead of anything else it’s not even fair to compare it to other music. The musicianship is unmatched by any band out there right now. The weakest part of the album, if there is such a thing, has to be MJK. But that being said, I think his reserved vocals match the mood and the complexity of the album greatly. Do I wish there was some vintage screams? Of course. But after 13 years, the band hasn’t just gotten back in the game. They’ve changed the whole fucking game. Even the interludes between each epic song are awesome. This album will be dissected by Tool nerds for decades to come. It also has made all other current rock bands reach for that new bar. Outstanding. Astonishing. Breathtaking. Game changing. Just, WOW!

I think that I saw Danny Carey play Chocolate chip trip the last time I saw them live. It was just a drum solo I thought but it seems like a match to the album. It’s awesome!!

And yes, sorry Matt Fucking Cameron, but Danny Carey is the greatest drummer of all time. Hands down. No contest.  
  • Options
    I don’t think Maynard’s vocals are lacking at all, I think the album is pretty damn perfect. If anything, I’m surprised that after 13-1/2 years of waiting, it impossibly lives up to the hype. (Could it actually exceed the hype... it’s REALLY f’ing good). 

• Options
    I don’t think Maynard’s vocals are lacking at all, I think the album is pretty damn perfect. If anything, I’m surprised that after 13-1/2 years of waiting, it impossibly lives up to the hype. (Could it actually exceed the hype... it’s REALLY f’ing good). 

I don’t think they are lacking. They just seem more reserved for a Tool release. But shit. After 13+ years, MJK has probably aged like his fine wine. I agree, the album is pretty damn perfect. And that’s my opinion after 2 full listens. I usually don’t like albums the first or second listen. Can’t imagine how great it will be after many many many more spins. 

Cant wait for the vinyl release!!!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,999
    edited September 2019
    I agree about Maynard - I wish he was more aggressive in the album. It shows his soft side exceptionally, but I miss the harder edge and the primal energy it brings. In 7empest, when he gives that little growl of "here we go again" in sync with the guitar kicking it up a notch, I feel that energy, and I wish it was there more in the album.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,385
    Maynard has been pretty open about how his voice is not what it used to be. Some songs they don't play live for that reason, others they may adjust the tuning. He's more restrained out of necessity. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,385
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:

Agree with this 100%. If you can be centered and around the soundboard, that's the prime Tool experience. Especially if any of these shows have a GA section - let everyone else fill in up front and set up in one of those spots.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,123
    We saw them in Louisville back in May...sat in lower bowl facing stage.  That seemed perfect to me as we got the full video experience and great sound.

Definitely worth the money.  Probably not a band I would see multiple nights due to the consistent setlist but you shouldn't miss them if they are close.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    We saw them in Louisville back in May...sat in lower bowl facing stage.  That seemed perfect to me as we got the full video experience and great sound.

Definitely worth the money.  Probably not a band I would see multiple nights due to the consistent setlist but you shouldn't miss them if they are close.
    Did you feel like you were too far back though? Thanks for the input everyone. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    After a few deep listens to the new album, I realize that this album might take years to fully digest. Like someone said above, it feels familiar yet so far ahead of anything else it’s not even fair to compare it to other music. The musicianship is unmatched by any band out there right now. The weakest part of the album, if there is such a thing, has to be MJK. But that being said, I think his reserved vocals match the mood and the complexity of the album greatly. Do I wish there was some vintage screams? Of course. But after 13 years, the band hasn’t just gotten back in the game. They’ve changed the whole fucking game. Even the interludes between each epic song are awesome. This album will be dissected by Tool nerds for decades to come. It also has made all other current rock bands reach for that new bar. Outstanding. Astonishing. Breathtaking. Game changing. Just, WOW!

I think that I saw Danny Carey play Chocolate chip trip the last time I saw them live. It was just a drum solo I thought but it seems like a match to the album. It’s awesome!!

And yes, sorry Matt Fucking Cameron, but Danny Carey is the greatest drummer of all time. Hands down. No contest.  
    I agree with all of this. And as a drummer, DC is in a league of his own. I can only dream of not only playing his parts, but coming up with them. And yes, it was listed on setlists as CCTrip. So u did see it!! Lol. All these years on the boards and I just found this thread haha. Pearl Jam Tool and Faith No More have always been my top 3. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    Could 7empest be the best thing they’ve ever recorded? I guess time will tell. 
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    I was going to mention that CCTrip may have been what Danny was playing during some of the shows I had seen. He had all the visuals going too. Like stuff was floating out from behind his drum set.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    It was awesome. With his drum riser having the screen on it so it looked like he was floating in space while making magic. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    Caved and bought the CD on eBay.   Got it for way way less than the average if that’s any consolation. 
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I pulled 4th row the day of the show last time they were in town. May have been close but the visuals were still great. Pics aren't that good because security was all over anyone taking photos.

#FHP
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,012
    Man! Prices for FI on Ebay are ridiculous!

I had no idea they would make so few copies available. I heard a rumor that there was one run of 200,00. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    👀

I hate people.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    I Agree. People suck. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Invincible and Descending are growing on me.
    They're the two songs I've struggled to digest on the first few listens.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014