Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    PJ_Soul said:

But art that is political is political... a person consuming the art can't just decide that a political song isn't political because they don't want it to be. I know art is subjective, but there is a limit to that theory.
    I can't beleive you can say that The Wall isn't a political album with a straight face. That's like saying Bu$hleaguer isn't political.

Well The Wall covers loads of topics. Politics is certainly one of them. Stardom, relationships, drugs, mental illness, and isolation are a couple others. To just say it's a political album is not giving it enough credit.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    North Carolina mourning period is over. Party starts back up again tonight.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,466

PJ_Soul said:

But art that is political is political... a person consuming the art can't just decide that a political song isn't political because they don't want it to be. I know art is subjective, but there is a limit to that theory.
    I can't beleive you can say that The Wall isn't a political album with a straight face. That's like saying Bu$hleaguer isn't political.

Well The Wall covers loads of topics. Politics is certainly one of them. Stardom, relationships, drugs, mental illness, and isolation are a couple others. To just say it's a political album is not giving it enough credit.
    I think you are using a definition of the word "political" that is too narrow. All of the things you list can be or have been political in the broader sense of being related to public affairs and matters of public debate and interest. Man is by nature a political animal, or at least so said some guy-- I think maybe it was Dave Abbruzzese. :)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    JP Losman said:

If they truly believe in this cause, they will cancel MSG and Philly shows. There is not much of an economic hit by cancelling one PJ show in Raleigh, but the NBA all star game is BIG business. MSG and Philly both also are partners with the NBA, so by cancelling those shows, they are putting pressure on the NBA to go through with moving the All star game instead of just threats. If PJ truly is committed to making a difference and wants a good conscience, then they should do that.

But they won't. Because they aren't really doing this for the cause but for their image. And its not a debate or an opinion that they are hypocrites. Its a fact. Because you play in cities and states and countries with bad laws too but don't boycott, it makes you a hypocrite. Because you aren't going full out and doing everything within your power to overturn HB2 which could be helped by things like cancelling MSG and Philly, you are a hypocrite.

Now you can say its not a big deal and they can choose their battles and I agree with that. Doesn't change the fact they are hypocrites.

FYI Tenclubbers: This post is nothing more that a "Stir The Pot" post, no pun intended on 4/20.....Pearl Jam is not motivated by their so-called IMAGE- how soon we forget when something doesn't go our way. Please calm down, angry person. Let's be grateful we are free to voice our opinions no matter how unpopular they may be.

JP Losman said:

If they truly believe in this cause, they will cancel MSG and Philly shows. There is not much of an economic hit by cancelling one PJ show in Raleigh, but the NBA all star game is BIG business. MSG and Philly both also are partners with the NBA, so by cancelling those shows, they are putting pressure on the NBA to go through with moving the All star game instead of just threats. If PJ truly is committed to making a difference and wants a good conscience, then they should do that.

But they won't. Because they aren't really doing this for the cause but for their image. And its not a debate or an opinion that they are hypocrites. Its a fact. Because you play in cities and states and countries with bad laws too but don't boycott, it makes you a hypocrite. Because you aren't going full out and doing everything within your power to overturn HB2 which could be helped by things like cancelling MSG and Philly, you are a hypocrite.

Now you can say its not a big deal and they can choose their battles and I agree with that. Doesn't change the fact they are hypocrites.

Good call, they should cancel the whole tour. Show America you're serious.

It's only a few concerts.

It's only money.
    Who's a hyporcrite? Grr be mean and hateful to everyone because a your show got canceled

KN88208 said:

I won GA lottery tickets for the 4/20 show. Like many others, I was devastated when I received the cancellation email on Monday.

As a happy, successful man, PJ has been an intricate part of my life for 25 years. Their music is poetic, and their shows are therapeutic. Because of PJ, I've developed global friendships and attended shows all over the country. Without PJ, I would not be the friend, husband, son etc. I am today. They offer hope and excitement, among many other things.

This band was put on earth for a reason... For the greater good of many lives...

PJ didn't cancel 4/20 because of me or the other 20 thousand fans. They canceled the show on the state of NC due to their despicable, discriminatory laws.

Forever grateful fan,
    See you in Columbia!

I double that ... great wording and a perfect sumup, reflecting also my point of view on this wonderful band ;)

thanks alot!
    Bump
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,533
    edited April 2016
    I didn't have a ticket to the show bgirl, I just happen to think it was real shitty of them to cancel two days in advance.

Does that make me a hypocrite?

Edit: & if I did have a ticket to this show, what have I said that's hypocritical?
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    People are crushed by this. This show (and all shows) are cherished by people and they anticipate and plan the show for months and months. They get an emotional high and a level of excitement when they get their tickets whether through the lotto or general sale.
    I had April 20 circled on my calendar since last December, when the tour news began to leak. I eagerly entered the ticket lottery in January—and won. My first GA pit tickets! Fast forward to this week . . . My wife and I were game-planning for the Wednesday show on Monday night as we walked. That's when the cancellation notice hit my inbox. "Motherfucker," I said.

I would have been happy to travel to Hampton, Va., to see Pearl Jam if they wanted to avoid N.C. My home state has a, frankly, embarrassing track record for civil rights. Google "North Carolina" and "Amendment One" and "2012" if interested. But the band played Charlotte in 2013 and were apparently willing to play the decidedly red state of N.C. again in 2016. Then Gov. McCrory, whom I voted against before and will do so again in November, and his merry band struck!
    Then the Bruce thing. People got worried, but I think the general fear was lifted because we didn't think that Pearl Jam would do their fans like that (please spare me the theory that the band has 'no idea' that people travel to their shows). Then this news was blind-siding two days before the show.
    Some day we may know exactly what transpired in the Pearl Jam camp between April 8, when Springsteen cancelled, and April 18, when Pearl Jam pulled the plug on Raleigh. For 10 days, loyal fans twisted in the wind, half-expecting the cancellation but paralyzed by, you know, real-life concerns such as work obligations and lining up babysitters. Also, I foolishly believed the band was too fan-forward, even with the Springsteen precedent, to pull such a stunt.

I probably would have taken worse seats in Va. to see the band on tour in the southeast. Despite the recent memory of the 2013 and 2016 tours, they really don't come this way often.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    I will forever love their music. I doubt I will cancel my tenclub as I've invested 16 years of it even though its harder and harder for me to see them . . . My wife has dedicated her life and career to fighting social injustice in NC. I am involved too and make many sacrifices. Don't cheapen our efforts by pretending you care as much and that you truly thought this was the best way to make a difference.
    This comment should not pass without mention. Well said. Thank you for fighting to improve the quality of life in North Carolina.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661

PJ_Soul said:

I agree it's a lot of things, but you still can't say it's not a political album just because there is also other stuff on there. The album is called The Wall.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    I checked into periscope to see what Eddie would say...his explanation for Raleigh was horrible. His explanation for the timing of it was worse. He basically said they had no choice for both of them (even though there are tons of other artists making a different choice). Then he mentioned a bad south carolina law. It wasn't very coherent. I think they didn't expect nearly the backlash that they got from the progressive community fighting this in NC. I still don't know of any LGBTQ groups here that have had direct contact with the band or representatives afterwards besides one person who was working hard to convince the band to play by her own volition.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree it's a lot of things, but you still can't say it's not a political album just because there is also other stuff on there. The album is called The Wall.
    BF25394 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think you are using a definition of the word "political" that is too narrow. All of the things you list can be or have been political in the broader sense of being related to public affairs and matters of public debate and interest. Man is by nature a political animal, or at least so said some guy-- I think maybe it was Dave Abbruzzese. :)

Well I guess it's obvious that my definition is the word is narrower than yours or PJ Soul's (and most people around here). Like PJ Soul says above that it's called "The Wall" so therefore it's political. I mean...I dunno. I understand there was a Berlin Wall and a political issue at the time and that Roger Waters performed the work there ten years later. But...the album is mainly about a metaphoric wall that someone builds to shield themselves from (insert: whatever you'd want to shield yourself from here). And sure it can have two meanings. And I'd wager a guess that Roger Waters intended it to have multiple meanings. But PJ Soul said "you still can't say it's not a political album just because there is also other stuff on there." Well sure I could. I could call it a Psychology album if I want to. By your his logic, The Eminem Show is a political album.

Like you said, I do have a very narrow definition of the word "political". For example, a few days ago, while PJ and their so-called politics were being discussed ad nauseam, someone pointed out that "they've always been political" and cited Eddie writing "pro-choice" on his arm during the MTV Unplugged performance as an early example. To me, that isn't political. It's just a guy writing on his arm with a marker. That's in spite of the fact that Pro-Choice vs. Pro-Life is very much an issue of political contention. But writing it on your arm, or wearing a "No Bush" T-shirt on SNL doesn't really comment on anything. He's pro-choice. Okay. He doesn't like George Bush. So these are your views...but what else? Writing songs like Bushleaguer or World Wide Suicide actually state views and elaborate or comment on them. I guess that's what I'd consider political. Not that any of this matters.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Oh and I didn't hear it but read that he made comments last night about greedy corporations and that the world is getting warmer. ...well playing Jazzfest whose sponsor is Shell Oil is taking money from the exact people and organizations you are spewing against. But don't worry PJ, because you have a great image now from cancelling NC and can sleep better at night.
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    I'm proud of the band. I was proud to tell my young daughter, who at fourteen, a year ago, started a LGBTQ group at her grade school, the year she was graduating. She wanted to start something there before she left, so others after her would have support. She fought to have a pride flag flown at the school last year, and got it. She was ridiculed for it, but then still she stood up for a teacher who was also being ridiculed by a student for supporting the group.
    This is not about some law that is going to be repealed in a weeks time. This is about winning a war on civil rights! This is but one battle, but one that needs to be fought. To win a war, you need to start a wave of momentum. A series of battles. Minds need to be changed. It does not happen overnight, or in a month. it happens over time.
    So, to the point that one cancellation means nothing, or little, I'll add an article I read this morning, on hockey of all things:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/players-have-power-to-turn-shaw-incident-into-a-positive-1.475276

You may, or may not have heard about the NHL slur incident the other night, but in the article it references the band cancellations. It adds to the discussion. It further puts it out there that the rights of the LGBTQ community are to be protected. It becomes part of the wave of changing peoples minds.

So yeah, I was proud to tell my daughter, that dad's favourite band stood up for her, and got in-line to be counted. But I expected nothing less from this band, that has time and again, stood up for others.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    shecky said:

BF25394 said:

Finally, to the poster who said he likes the band for its music, not its politics: they are inseparable.

I disagree with this. I love their music but disagree with a lot of their political views.

+1
    +1
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Was this bathroom bill even a topic in the last election cycle?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Nope. We didn't vote on it. In fact, most people in the areas affected by these economic hits (charlotte, greensboro, the triangle) have been very against it from the start.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    JP Losman said:

Jason P said:

Nope. We didn't vote on it. In fact, most people in the areas affected by these economic hits (charlotte, greensboro, the triangle) have been very against it from the start.
    This is all crazy then. A chance for the ultra left and ultra right to sanctimoniously fall on their swords while the majority are walking around confused by what is going on.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

JP Losman said:

Jason P said:

This is all crazy then. A chance for the ultra left and ultra right to sanctimoniously fall on their swords while the majority are walking around confused by what is going on.
    This is a very apt description. The underlying issues around discrimination are very important, but both sides of the political spectrum here are going crazy, mostly over hypotheticals. This should not be read as support of the law or moral equivalence between the right and left on this issue, but the level of hysteria here is actually preventing reasoned discussion with average voters.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    JP Losman said:

His explanation for the timing of it was worse. He basically said they had no choice for both of them (even though there are tons of other artists making a different choice).

How does artists choosing differently mean PJ saw that as a viable option for them? I'm vegan, so often times when I go out to eat with people, I have one or two choices, and they have 14. By your logic, my friends should think that I have 14 meal options, too, just because they do?
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

JP Losman said:

His explanation for the timing of it was worse. He basically said they had no choice for both of them (even though there are tons of other artists making a different choice).

How does artists choosing differently mean PJ saw that as a viable option for them? I'm vegan, so often times when I go out to eat with people, I have one or two choices, and they have 14. By your logic, my friends should think that I have 14 meal options, too, just because they do?
    Ummm...this is kind of a pointless argument, but you do have 14 meal options in the situation you describe.
  • Options
    Kimba13Kimba13 Pittsburgh Posts: 4
    edited April 2016
    Anyone know when we will at least get our ticket refund?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    rchallen said:

So I'm still proud to be a longtime resident of Charlotte, NC... Ironically a very progressive city, as apparently our decision to provide protection for the TG community provided the impetus for Gov. Patsy McCrory and his POS cronies to pass the horrible, awful HB2 law. Which specifically states that local governments and cities can NOT pass protections of their own.

But I'm deeply ashamed and embarrassed that the Republican legislature--which only came to power thanks to gerrymandering and the rural districts--has decided to launch their hateful campaign against ALL minorities. Not just the LBGT community, but also women, minorities, and even religion... There are NO protected classes under HB2 anymore. (McCrory has since "amended" the law to allow for some protected groups, which is a bit like Dick Cheney shooting you in the face and then offering you a Band-Aid two weeks later.)

On a social and moral level, I completely support Pearl Jam... and Springsteen as well. (Another show I planned to attend that got cancelled two days beforehand.) I agree that the timing could've been better, but I also suspect the time frame was chosen, as with Springsteen's decision, for maximum political impact. It's not just taking dollars out of the state... It's also drawing media attention to the POS idiots controlling our State house and adding political pressure in the hopes that they (eventually) do the right thing.

But here's my frustration in the interim: HB2 does NOT reflect the mindset of the state as a whole. It was a sneaky piece of legislation, rammed through in less than a day with no debate whatsoever, solely to punish the "progressive" cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Asheville, and others) and mobilize the far right wing to come to the polls in November. (Because nothing gets bigoted right-wingers more excited than denying basic rights to gays.) If the state wasn't gerrymandered to the point of insanity, these assholes wouldn't even BE in office... Much less passing divisive legislation with the confidence of men who know that their districts are SO red, their re-elections are all but assured. Meanwhile, anyone in the state who is liberal, progressive, or even moderate (which covers about 95% of most NC PJ fans) is punished by the actions of the bigots we did NOT vote for and do NOT support.

I hope the band gets a chance to read this post, as it comes from someone who's fought against (and voted against) these assholes for years and years. I deeply respect the hard decision they made, while also feeling the monumental (selfish) loss that comes from knowing that some of my favorite artists, and bands, will no longer visit my state while these idiots remain in power.

I love Charlotte, and I love North Carolina, and I hate the fact that a tiny hate-filled group has co-opted our government and currently holds the state hostage. They don't speak for us, and we will do everything in our power to vote them out come November. But if we don't... I might be asking for suggestions on where to move.

God bless Pearl Jam, and I hope you guys throw every ounce of your anger and energy into the Columbia show the following night. Because I will be there with all MY anger at the f**kers who keep trying to take my state away from me... and I could probably use some Release.

Post of the year!!!
    you said what most of us in NC are thinking.
    thank you for saving me the time to spell it out again!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

Ummm...this is kind of a pointless argument, but you do have 14 meal options in the situation you describe.

Exactly how you're all reading the PJ boycott incorrectly. Your options are not what they consider to be theirs...
  • Options
    The upside of the Raleigh boycott now behind us (and thanks again to the band for doing the right thing) and my only other show on the tour being last night... I can now retreat to my non-forum-posting ways until the next tour. Have fun! It's been... interesting.
  • Options
    JF657419JF657419 Posts: 12
    Nothing to see here... move along... nothing but positive thoughts... all over... move along...

Interesting lack of objectivity regarding critique of a band that is famous for questioning the status quo.

I'm curious, other than one person on this thread who volunteered a Wrigley ticket for a Raleigh ticket (so nice to do so), has anyone here traded their show's tickets for someone's Raleigh tickets? It shouldn't have been too hard - it's just money.
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

Exactly how you're all reading the PJ boycott incorrectly. Your options are not what they consider to be theirs...
    I'm not sure how anyone is reading the boycott incorrectly relative to your analogy. Was the boycott their choice and, in their opinions, the best choice? Seems that way, yes. What is the only possible choice? Of course not. Their options were the same as every band's options. Their predispositions are simply different and even if you're arguing that their predispositions could only lead to one choice, the boycott, you're proven wrong by the band's statements that they struggled with the decision.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,533
    jfayiii said:

Nothing to see here... move along... nothing but positive thoughts... all over... move along...

Interesting lack of objectivity regarding critique of a band that is famous for questioning the status quo.

I'm curious, other than one person on this thread who volunteered a Wrigley ticket for a Raleigh ticket (so nice to do so), has anyone here traded their show's tickets for someone's Raleigh tickets? It shouldn't have been too hard - it's just money.

Hear hear!
  • Options
    RR306084RR306084 Raleigh, NC Posts: 4
    Does anyone know whom to contact about refunds? I was told my credit card would be refunded the amount for my tickets sometime this week, but as of 3pm today (close of bank's deposit day), no refund. I don't mind PJ sticking up for someone's rights, but not on my dime without my consent. I paid for a show, so I expect a show or my money back (promptly). I've supported the band for over 20 years, and hold similar values, but this last minute cancellation has me more than peeved for various personal and financial reasons. So yes, I'm going to be an -sshole over getting my money back sooner rather than later in response.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661
    edited April 2016
    Sometimes processing times vary. I have things happen to my credit card account at all hours. Bank hours are irrelevant. Are you worried that you won't get the money back?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,487
    Why do we have 50 threads on this topic and the Springsteen forum only has one?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    KV4053 said:

Why do we have 50 threads on this topic and the Springsteen forum only has one?

cause we are the 10club goddamn it.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore